PDA

View Full Version : Guys that would have been excellent 3 point shooters today

ewing
04-04-2018, 11:43 PM
What old players that didn’t shoot 3s or very rarely shot 3s do you think would have been excellent 3 point shooters if they played now

Tom Chambers and Clifford Robinson come to mind. I also think Yao could have been a heck of a stand still shooter from 3- his form was beautiful. Who else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heediot
04-05-2018, 09:45 AM
If you put in the work, you can get better. Larry Johnson is a good example. Mainly a post up guy, dunking machine, strong as an ox and can jump out the gym. Once his back went out he put in the work and became respectable from range. I think guys with the work ethics would translate. Can't pin point in particular.

Anthony Mason could be another Draymond Green IMO. Both high IQ/Feel players with good feet movement for their size. Ball Handling and versatile offensively. Mason was the better post player though. I think he would step out his range and become a Draymond type shooter.

mightybosstone
04-05-2018, 10:07 AM
If we're talking pre-3-point era or very early 3-point era, the two obvious guys that come to mind are Jerry West and Rick Barry.

Vinylman
04-05-2018, 10:09 AM
The answer is anyone because the offensive schemes lead to wide open looks...

IndyRealist
04-05-2018, 10:12 AM
I know it's obvious, but Jordan. The way the rules were in the 80s and 90s, you could flatten out the defense and force a single defender to try and guard MJ. All he had to do was beat one guy and pull up for a jumper, and that was the best shot available regardless where it was. Point being, MJ took a lot of 20ft shots. With current rules and zone D, he would take a ton more 3s instead of 20ft shots. On a tangent, that's what pisses me off when people point to MJ saying mid range is viable. He played under different rules. If you don't recognize that it's a different game now, you should stick to discussing basketball in sports bars and around the water cooler.

It's not how people remember it, but the vast majority of Reggie Miller's shots came 16-23ft. Again, rule changes. He would run off screens and force a switch, then pump fake, take a dribble past the jumping defender, and take an uncontested 20ft shot. He also loved the 18ft post up, turnaround fadeaway. Today with help defense that's a terrible shot, but in the 90s that was money. With his off ball movement and already great shooting stroke, in today's spacing he'd shoot 50%+ from 3.

BoSox47
04-05-2018, 10:28 AM
If you put in the work, you can get better. Larry Johnson is a good example. Mainly a post up guy, dunking machine, strong as an ox and can jump out the gym. Once his back went out he put in the work and became respectable from range. I think guys with the work ethics would translate. Can't pin point in particular.

Anthony Mason could be another Draymond Green IMO. Both high IQ/Feel players with good feet movement for their size. Ball Handling and versatile offensively. Mason was the better post player though. I think he would step out his range and become a Draymond type shooter.

Al Horford is a good example as well. Horford fitst 7 seasons he never had more than 11 3pt attempts, this year for the celtics he has 220 attempts at a .432 shooting percent.

MygirlhatesCod
04-05-2018, 10:54 AM
mark price! dude was 3% off a career 40 50 90 average.

ewing
04-05-2018, 11:08 AM

Mase had very funky form. I agree his game would translate well but I don’t think he would ever be really good range shooter. Green isn’t much of a shooter either so it’s not a bad comparison just not really what I was looking for.

mightybosstone
04-05-2018, 11:14 AM

Yeah, but he was already a spectacular 3-point shooter for his era. The idea here is to think of guys who weren't good 3-point shooters or rarely ever shot them who would be proficient beyond the 3-point line today.

Hawkeye15
04-05-2018, 11:16 AM

For some reason I don't see Chris Dudley out there knocking down 3's in any era haha

mightybosstone
04-05-2018, 11:24 AM

Yeah, I think you're drastically overrating an athlete's ability to consistently hit a shot that far away just because he's open. That's like saying every big guy should be an excellent shot blocker or rebounder or every guard should be a great passer. Shooting is a skill just like anything else. Shaq and Dwight shot thousands of free throws over their careers and probably hundreds of thousands to millions when you include practice outside of games. That didn't make them great free throw shooters, and every one of those shots is wide open.

ewing
04-05-2018, 12:00 PM
For some reason I don't see Chris Dudley out there knocking down 3's in any era haha

Oh with a modern diet and training Duds would be money

Heediot
04-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I think you're drastically overrating an athlete's ability to consistently hit a shot that far away just because he's open. That's like saying every big guy should be an excellent shot blocker or rebounder or every guard should be a great passer. Shooting is a skill just like anything else. Shaq and Dwight shot thousands of free throws over their careers and probably hundreds of thousands to millions when you include practice outside of games. That didn't make them great free throw shooters, and every one of those shots is wide open.

FT shooting is also psychological. I hear DJ and Dwight claim they made like double digits straight numerous times in practice.

Nick Anderson who was really good ft shooter choked a finals game against the Rockets with his fts, also went slumping for a bit after that incident.

I think putting in the work combined with confidence is what matters. Psychology is a big element is sports IMO.

But you do have a point more natural skill and ability really helps..

Never mind about Nick Anderson being really good. The guy was an average FT shooter for his time. But there were psychological effects of his debacle. I always though him and 3-d were both good marksmen and ft shooters on the Magic.

Vinylman
04-05-2018, 12:17 PM

the idea that all players wouldn't adapt though is crazy... look at guys like Brooke Lopez

it's basically self preservation...

If the rules were the same now as then people would work much harder on their mid-range and post up game.

obviously when I said "anyone" it was hyperbole because the premise of the thread ignores the reality that players would have adapted... just like they have now

ewing
04-05-2018, 12:38 PM
the idea that all players wouldn't adapt though is crazy... look at guys like Brooke Lopez

If the rules were the same now as then people would work much harder on their mid-range and post up game.

obviously when I said "anyone" it was hyperbole because the premise of the thread ignores the reality that players would have adapted... just like they have now

It doesn’t ignore it. It embraces it. I don’t think Yao ever shot 3s. If he randomly decided to he probably wouldn’t have been good from that range. If he played in an era where more bigs shot 3s I think he would have worked on it and been really good at it. On the other hand Chris Dudley was a brick layer so it wouldn’t matter if worked on it.

Brook Lopez is more like a Rik Smits then Chris Dudley. Smits would be shooting 3s today

Vinylman
04-05-2018, 12:44 PM
It doesn’t ignore it. It embraces it. I don’t think Yao ever shot 3s. If he randomly decided to he probably wouldn’t have been good from that range. If he played in an era where more bigs shot 3s I think he would have worked on it and been really good at it. On the other hand Chris Dudley was a brick layer so it wouldn’t matter if worked on it.

ok

then why make the thread? To make fun of Dudley might be a good enough I guess

ewing
04-05-2018, 12:55 PM
ok

then why make the thread? To make fun of Dudley might be a good enough I guess

Bc I was curious who people think would transition well to a 3 point heavy game despite never really shooting 3s in there era. Some guys had really good touch but never even thought about shooting deep jumpers. Some guys you see it only if the team got in trouble. If I thought the answer was everybody it would be a stupid thread.

KingPosey
04-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Duh dude, of course a guy that was good from deep then would be good now lol. He’s talking about guys that didn’t shoot it from deep but would be able to adjust and do well today

Hawkeye15
04-05-2018, 01:41 PM

No I get what you mean, you just went extreme is all. Players adapt, but some people simply have limitations.

sixer04fan
04-05-2018, 04:53 PM
If Steve Nash played today, he would probably put up way more threes and be that much more dangerous than he already was just 10-15 years ago.

Now, he was an extremely elite 3 point % shooter his entire career, and had some decently high volume shooting seasons, and played for some of the teams that pioneered the modern era. So you might think he doesn’t really qualify for this discussion. But it just shows you how rapidly the game has evolved since then with even more pace and space. He could be putting up 3 point shots like Steph Curry and setting 3PT records if he just played 10-15 years later.

warfelg
04-05-2018, 04:55 PM
If Steve Nash played today, he would probably put up way more threes and be that much more dangerous than he already was just 10-15 years ago.

Now, he was an extremely elite 3 point % shooter his entire career, and had some decently high volume shooting seasons, and played for some of the teams that pioneered the modern era. So you might think he doesn’t really qualify for this discussion. But it just shows you how rapidly the game has evolved since then with even more pace and space. He could be putting up 3 point shots like Steph Curry and setting 3PT records if he just played 10-15 years later.

I think that whole Suns team would have done more.

Nash
Johnson
Marion
Heck, even Raja Bell

All three would have shot more.

sixer04fan
04-05-2018, 05:14 PM
I think that whole Suns team would have done more.

Nash
Johnson
Marion
Heck, even Raja Bell

All three would have shot more.

Yeah but my point is for how elite Nash’s 3PT% was year after year, with the decent volume he took, we’d be talking about him in the same light as Curry if he played today. He’d be in that conversation as greatest 3PT shooter of all time like Curry is now.

Hawkeye15
04-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Joe Dumars, Michael Adams, Allan Houston, Dana Barros, Chris Jackson, Donyell Marshall, and Toni Kukoc come to mind.

ewing
04-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Joe Dumars, Michael Adams, Allan Houston, Dana Barros, Chris Jackson, Donyell Marshall, and Toni Kukoc come to mind.

Dana Baros. Man I remember that guy hoisting any chance he got I wonder how 3s he could get up now

jaydubb
04-05-2018, 06:23 PM
John havlicek

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

warfelg
04-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Yeah but my point is for how elite Nash’s 3PT% was year after year, with the decent volume he took, we’d be talking about him in the same light as Curry if he played today. He’d be in that conversation as greatest 3PT shooter of all time like Curry is now.

I get that. Just adding that the whole team could have possibly given the Warriors a run for their money.

valade16
04-05-2018, 09:26 PM
John havlicek

I am interested in some of the older guys.

I think Big O would have been able to shoot well from 3. Jerry Lucas was already shooting from 3 back then so he'd have no problem.

I think Bob McAdoo would have been good. Elgin Baylor would have been decent. I wonder if Sam Jones would have been good as well.

KingstonHawke
04-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Larry Bird. He didn't grow up shooting the three and barely shot it in games. But his efficiency numbers were always high. I don't think he'd of been a HOF in today's league. But I do think he could've been an all star a la Gordon Hayward. He'd probably had even been asked to lose 10 lbs and play more on the wing.

Doug McDourmet is another good comparison style wise. An underrated player in my opinion. Although I could be biased since I'm from Nebraska.

ewing
04-05-2018, 10:28 PM
Karl Malone would be a bomber

JasonJohnHorn
04-05-2018, 10:44 PM
If we're talking pre-3-point era or very early 3-point era, the two obvious guys that come to mind are Jerry West and Rick Barry.

Those are the first two names that come to mind to me as well.

I feel like there are a number of guys in the 80s and 90s who didn't develop that shot because systems at thet time used other styles of play, to MJ and Drexler focused on mid-range/cutting to the basket, post play. If they were playing today, they'd adapt their games to the current style.

The more interesting thing here would have exelled in this era. Jeff Hornecek, Stockton, and Mitch Richmond would have all killed it today.

IndyRealist
04-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Larry Bird. He didn't grow up shooting the three and barely shot it in games. But his efficiency numbers were always high. I don't think he'd of been a HOF in today's league. But I do think he could've been an all star a la Gordon Hayward. He'd probably had even been asked to lose 10 lbs and play more on the wing.

Doug McDourmet is another good comparison style wise. An underrated player in my opinion. Although I could be biased since I'm from Nebraska.

Except 5 out of 12 years where his 3pt shooting wasn't good.

I think today they'd go the exact opposite direction. He'd be asked to bulk up and play stretch 4. He was a double double player for his career, and I believe he played a lot of PF later in his career after he hurt his back. He didn't have the athleticism to keep up with SFs in today's NBA, but he would be the MOST skilled big man in the league, hands down. I can't see him missing the HOF.

ewing
04-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Tom Gugliolotta would have been a saught after stretch 4

ewing
04-05-2018, 10:53 PM

I think today they'd go the exact opposite direction. He'd be asked to bulk up and play stretch 4. He was a double double player for his career, and I believe he played a lot of PF later in his career after he hurt his back. He didn't have the athleticism to keep up with SFs in today's NBA, but he would be the MOST skilled big man in the league, hands down. I can't see him missing the HOF.

Why would he need to bulk up? He was plenty strong enough to play the 4 today. I think he’d be a 4 and spend a lot more time handling the ball.

jaydubb
04-07-2018, 05:24 AM

That's the thing though, compared to today's 3 point success rates, yes, those 5 years would be considered bad shooting years from behind the arc.. But Larry bird never once practiced 3 point shots before he got into the nba. The 3 point line was added during Larry birds rookie season. Would Larry have been a better 3 point shooter, even for todays standards, if he grew up actually practicing 3 point shots? I absolutely 100% believe so.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Heediot
04-07-2018, 05:32 AM
Bird has one of the PUREST strokes in league history. He would be an elite shooter in today's game if he put in work.

Chronz
04-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Shaq.

Brad Miller

BoilermakerD
04-07-2018, 10:43 PM
I know it's obvious, but Jordan. The way the rules were in the 80s and 90s, you could flatten out the defense and force a single defender to try and guard MJ. All he had to do was beat one guy and pull up for a jumper, and that was the best shot available regardless where it was. Point being, MJ took a lot of 20ft shots. With current rules and zone D, he would take a ton more 3s instead of 20ft shots. On a tangent, that's what pisses me off when people point to MJ saying mid range is viable. He played under different rules. If you don't recognize that it's a different game now, you should stick to discussing basketball in sports bars and around the water cooler.

It's not how people remember it, but the vast majority of Reggie Miller's shots came 16-23ft. Again, rule changes. He would run off screens and force a switch, then pump fake, take a dribble past the jumping defender, and take an uncontested 20ft shot. He also loved the 18ft post up, turnaround fadeaway. Today with help defense that's a terrible shot, but in the 90s that was money. With his off ball movement and already great shooting stroke, in today's spacing he'd shoot 50%+ from 3.

Maybe 96-98 Jordan. I keep trying to tell you guys ... from 84-93 zone defenses wouldn’t have done anything .. especially pre 91-92.

BoilermakerD
04-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Bird has one of the PUREST strokes in league history. He would be an elite shooter in today's game if he put in work.

He was an elite shooter then...

Chronz
04-08-2018, 12:22 AM
Karl Malone would be a bomber

What about Charles. Guy took them when he prolly shouldn't, would coming up today make him worse? Lol

Raps18-19 Champ
04-08-2018, 01:07 AM
Pistol Pete.

ChiTownPacerFan
04-08-2018, 04:04 AM
Imagine Steve Kerr on a team today. Dude shot over 45 percent on about 1600 career three point attempts.

ewing
04-08-2018, 06:32 AM
Imagine Steve Kerr on a team today. Dude shot over 45 percent on about 1600 career three point attempts.

He’d still be on the bench

NYKalltheway
04-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Players with a great or improved 3PT%. I'm not going to include guys like Bird, Price etc who had relatively good numbers in their time even if they'd be much better.

John Havlicek
George Gervin
Dave DeBuscherre
Pete Maravich
Walt Frazier
Bob McAdoo
Alex English
Patrick Ewing
Jerry West
Clyde Drexler
Michael Jordan
Jerry Lucas
Bill Sharman
Elgin Baylor
Oscar Robertson
Rick Barry

As for Larry Bird, I think he'd want to be the #1 shooter (or player) of all time if he played in today's game where individual stats mean more than anything else, more than ever before. And he'd achieve it.

IndyRealist
04-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Players with a great or improved 3PT%. I'm not going to include guys like Bird, Price etc who had relatively good numbers in their time even if they'd be much better.

John Havlicek
George Gervin
Dave DeBuscherre
Pete Maravich
Walt Frazier
Bob McAdoo
Alex English
Patrick Ewing
Jerry West
Clyde Drexler
Michael Jordan
Jerry Lucas
Bill Sharman
Elgin Baylor
Oscar Robertson
Rick Barry

As for Larry Bird, I think he'd want to be the #1 shooter (or player) of all time if he played in today's game where individual stats mean more than anything else, more than ever before. And he'd achieve it.

Definitely on Bird. We have to remember this is the guy who walked into the 3pt shooting contest and said, "So who's coming in 2nd?" then proceeded to win the competition without taking his warm ups off.

Heediot
04-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Theres a legit argument for Jordan being just as good or better then Bird, and maybe the translation comes in todays game.

Heres proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shK-j_u6LI

mrblisterdundee
04-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Jerry West would've been Stephen Curry with a three-point line. By all accounts, he had the range. Perimeter play would have also opened up his passing and driving lanes.

nastynice
04-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Apparently Chris Bosh :eyebrow:

nastynice
04-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Shaq.

Brad Miller

First bosh, now shaq.

Dammit chronz! :facepalm:

NYKalltheway
04-12-2018, 11:45 AM
I'll add Hal Greer to my list, can't believe I missed him.

JAZZNC
04-12-2018, 08:57 PM
Sam Perkins

valade16
04-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Arvydas Sabonis. He shot 37% from deep his first 2 years in the NBA after coming over as a shell of himself.

IKnowHoops
04-13-2018, 01:50 AM

Or Shaq. Manute Bol might be a stud though

IKnowHoops
04-13-2018, 01:53 AM
Of course the Admiral

IKnowHoops
04-13-2018, 01:54 AM
Maybe Christian Leattner could of had a career

Hawkeye15
04-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Bird would be better today than he was in the 80's. You are right, he would likely be asked to be a hybrid big forward, but he would dominate today, and his 3 ball would be much better than it was.

Hawkeye15
04-13-2018, 08:44 AM
What about Charles. Guy took them when he prolly shouldn't, would coming up today make him worse? Lol

Charles would be more Toine' than anything, when it came to shooting from long distance.

JasonJohnHorn
04-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Sam Perkins

Sam Perkins and Laimbeer would have torn up in this league.... but Laimbeer especially.

JasonJohnHorn
04-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Maybe Christian Leattner could of had a career

I know his NBA career is a shadow of his college career, but he had a solid career as a starter/rotation player, and he was versatile enough that teams usually wanted him.

I mean... he played until he was 35, started nearly 700 games out of around 850, has a career ppg average in double digits over 13 seasons.

He wasn't an all-star, but he certainly had a career. And frankly, his college career alone warrants a HOF selection.

JasonJohnHorn
04-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Arvydas Sabonis. He shot 37% from deep his first 2 years in the NBA after coming over as a shell of himself.

It is crazy to think that washed-up chubby Sabonis did THAT well in the NBA. If he had come over when he was 24... man...

That guy was amazing.

valade16
04-14-2018, 03:37 PM
It is crazy to think that washed-up chubby Sabonis did THAT well in the NBA. If he had come over when he was 24... man...

That guy was amazing.

It's insane to think the 90's Blazers who made the Finals and had Drazen Petrovic before they realized how good he was, could have also had Arvydas Sabonis had he come over earlier.

That team would have beat the MJ Bulls at least once for a title.

KingstonHawke
04-14-2018, 03:37 PM

You probably think higher of Bird than I do. We're saying the same thing about him being a stretch 4, but I see him more so being what Harrison Barnes was with the Warriors. He was that undersized stretch 4 with a lot of mobility but who didn't pound the boards or do a lot with his back to the basket. He's not grabbing 10 boards a game in today's league. Even if you bulked him up he couldn't bang all day with people like Anthony Davis and stay healthy.

I also don't think he'd be the most skilled big man in the league. The Pelicans alone have two big men with superior skill sets.

PewPew
04-14-2018, 04:23 PM
sam perkins

IndyRealist
04-14-2018, 05:03 PM
You probably think higher of Bird than I do. We're saying the same thing about him being a stretch 4, but I see him more so being what Harrison Barnes was with the Warriors. He was that undersized stretch 4 with a lot of mobility but who didn't pound the boards or do a lot with his back to the basket. He's not grabbing 10 boards a game in today's league. Even if you bulked him up he couldn't bang all day with people like Anthony Davis and stay healthy.

I also don't think he'd be the most skilled big man in the league. The Pelicans alone have two big men with superior skill sets.

Bird averaged double digit rebounds next to two HOF big men, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale. I don't get what you mean by "didn't pound the boards". No one does a lot with their back to the basket these days. If anything, today's game fits Bird far better than the 80s did.

As far as staying healthy, Bird was not injured due to basketball. He was laying a driveway. He had one injury that literally caused everything wrong with him, not some string of injuries indicating he is fragile. He finally had surgery to fix his back just a couple of years ago.

Neither Davis or Cousins is a lock for the HOF if their careers ended today. I don't think you can make that kind of comparison.

valade16
04-14-2018, 06:08 PM

No, the Pelicans have two big men who are more athletic. Larry Bird is more skilled than either of them.

ewing
04-14-2018, 07:30 PM

Terrible take

JAZZNC
04-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Evidently there are still people that think because Larry Bird looked like your uncle that he wasn't one of the best ever. He would easily be the most skilled big man in the game today. That guys all around ability and basketball IQ would be unparalleled.