PDA

View Full Version : Best Player of All-Time At Their Peak (#26) [*NEW!*]

KnicksorBust
04-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Careers create legacies and produce hall of famers. This poll was created with the premise that we should ignore the longevity of a players career and debate who really was the best... of the best... AT THEIR BEST. One season. One player. Who ya got? We left off at #25.

Current List

1. Michael Jordan
2. LeBron James
T3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
T3. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Shaquille OíNeal
6. Magic Johnson
7. Larry Bird
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Tim Duncan
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Steph Curry
12. Moses Malone
13. Tracy McGrady
14. Bill Walton
15. Kevin Durant
16. Jerry West
17. Dwyane Wade
18. Oscar Robertson
19. Kevin Garnett
20. Dirk Nowitzki
21. Charles Barkley
22. Karl Malone
23. David Robinson
24. Chris Paul
25. Julius Erving

KnicksorBust
04-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Refuse to let this end when Russell hasn't been picked and the debate between Bill, Kawhi, and Harden is too good to pass up.

KnicksorBust
04-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Refuse to let this end when Russell hasn't been picked and the debate between Bill, Kawhi, and Harden is too good to pass up.

:laugh:

Thanks for taking the torch and running with this!

The thanks is appreciated but would rather hear your argument to spark this puppy up! :)

valade16
04-03-2018, 02:24 PM

:laugh:

Thanks for taking the torch and running with this!

valade16
04-03-2018, 03:01 PM
The thanks is appreciated but would rather hear your argument to spark this puppy up! :)

I'm leaning Kawhi. I get what Harden is doing this season, but to me it looks like he's doing what he's always done just now next to CP3 which increases his efficiency even more. I don't think he's a drastically different player and given that I'd rather have Kawhi from last season.

I have no idea where I'm going to put Bill Russell to be honest.

KnicksorBust
04-03-2018, 03:53 PM
One of the best offensive players of all-time?
The best defensive player of all-time?
One of the best 2-way perimeter players of all-time?

I take the first guy. I can get my defense from role players. He carries such a load for any team offensively.

Chronz
04-03-2018, 05:05 PM
I like scaling players and it's incomprehensible how a guy like bill isn't near Wilt somewhere. They had the same damn impact for their clubs. I'm not so sure it's an era dependent thing either cuz you could argue Bill's game translates easier today since he never needed the ball and defended with the agility of a modern day kg/ad type. He could easily perform the capella role offensively(added bonus of higher IQ too)on a great team, that makes him a statistical demon if you've been paying attention to what Clint has done this year and the best defender in the league. Wilts game translates better into the 80s 90s tho, which is what makes us loving the modern era so stupid. Why is "today" the only era that matters?

That aside, I'm leaning kawhi. Lmao

Hawkeye15
04-03-2018, 05:12 PM
I mean, I am about as anti-Bill as it gets, but cmon. I vote for him

While I don't think his individual play is that of some other all timers, his pure impact to winning was so high. He needs to get some credit

KnicksorBust
04-03-2018, 05:42 PM
I mean, I am about as anti-Bill as it gets, but cmon. I vote for him

While I don't think his individual play is that of some other all timers, his pure impact to winning was so high. He needs to get some credit

You woke up tomorrow as head of the Timberwolves and the roster was wiped clean. Do you want to start over with peak Kawhi, peak Harden, or Bill Russell? Can you honestly say you want to start with such a limited offensive player as your franchise player?

KnicksorBust
04-03-2018, 05:44 PM
I like scaling players and it's incomprehensible how a guy like bill isn't near Wilt somewhere. They had the same damn impact for their clubs. I'm not so sure it's an era dependent thing either cuz you could argue Bill's game translates easier today since he never needed the ball and defended with the agility of a modern day kg/ad type. He could easily perform the capella role offensively(added bonus of higher IQ too)on a great team, that makes him a statistical demon if you've been paying attention to what Clint has done this year and the best defender in the league. Wilts game translates better into the 80s 90s tho, which is what makes us loving the modern era so stupid. Why is "today" the only era that matters?

That aside, I'm leaning kawhi. Lmao

That is the point no one is taking Clint Capela or Rudy Robert over Harden or Kawhi. You don't start with a non offensive threat when Kawhi or Harden are sitting out there.

YAALREADYKNO
04-03-2018, 10:21 PM
White Iverson

Raps18-19 Champ
04-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Why is Bill Walton so high?

ewing
04-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Knicks or bust said so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnicksorBust
04-04-2018, 02:36 AM

Go check out his thread.

Kawhi, Harden,, or Russell?

FlashBolt
04-04-2018, 02:40 AM
The problem this thread faces is no one makes their personal argument until someone else mentions a name and then they say, "Oh, let's all make a case for X player because he gets more attention" while other players who should get consideration gets ignored. Discussions legitimately died after like page 12.

KnicksorBust
04-04-2018, 07:50 AM
The problem this thread faces is no one makes their personal argument until someone else mentions a name and then they say, "Oh, let's all make a case for X player because he gets more attention" while other players who should get consideration gets ignored. Discussions legitimately died after like page 12.

Kawhi, Harden, or Bill Russell?

FlashBolt
04-04-2018, 08:00 AM

Going with Russell but that's my point.. Why isn't GP or IT up for consideration? They were absolute beasts at their prime as well. We just don't have enough people to continue these threads. It's the same people every thread lol

KnicksorBust
04-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Going with Russell but that's my point.. Why isn't GP or IT up for consideration? They were absolute beasts at their prime as well. We just don't have enough people to continue these threads. It's the same people every thread lol

They are up for consideration. You can vote for them. But it is unrealistic to expect a debate of 5 guys every time.

FlashBolt
04-04-2018, 09:24 AM
They are up for consideration. You can vote for them. But it is unrealistic to expect a debate of 5 guys every time.

it's me, you, and valade every post. No fun

KnicksorBust
04-04-2018, 10:23 AM

it's me, you, and valade every post. No fun

I am sorry you feel that way. I am still enjoying it. :)

YAALREADYKNO
04-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Thatís why Iím voting Iverson

Chronz
04-04-2018, 11:54 AM
That is the point no one is taking Clint Capela or Rudy Robert over Harden or Kawhi. You don't start with a non offensive threat when Kawhi or Harden are sitting out there.
Maybe that's where they're going wrong.

KnicksorBust
04-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Maybe that's where they're going wrong.

Easier to find defense than elite offensive production.

JLynn943
04-04-2018, 01:29 PM
I feel like peak Nash is being disrespected. His numbers would be even higher now in the era of all-3-pointers-all-the-time. He has legitimate arguments for both the greatest shooter and passer of all time. His 2005-06 thru 2007-08 seasons are stellar.

KnicksorBust
04-04-2018, 02:12 PM
I feel like peak Nash is being disrespected. His numbers would be even higher now in the era of all-3-pointers-all-the-time. He has legitimate arguments for both the greatest shooter and passer of all time. His 2005-06 thru 2007-08 seasons are stellar.

He is top 5 at both but I don't think its possible to argue him for #1 at either... I also don't think his scoring would come close to Harden even now so if you wanna go all-in on offense then Harden is the pick.

Chronz
04-04-2018, 04:56 PM
The counter would be its easier to build around a superstar when he doesn't even need to touch the ball to have that level of impact on the game. I also don't consider harden elite historically, certainly not on the level of Russell's defense. You underrate his impact on that end and he wasn't exactly a zero on offense. Seriously look capellas numbers today, throw in superior passing acumen and defense+rebounding and you have a guy you could argue above the man we voted in wilt. How is that not up there?

OK I get that you can't imagine a player that destructive defensively but without an elite offense the guy was able to match wilt. Are you saying he's less transferable today, what of the 90s. Which era matters most to you?

Chronz
04-04-2018, 04:59 PM
We ****ed up fam

Hawkeye15
04-04-2018, 04:59 PM
You woke up tomorrow as head of the Timberwolves and the roster was wiped clean. Do you want to start over with peak Kawhi, peak Harden, or Bill Russell? Can you honestly say you want to start with such a limited offensive player as your franchise player?

In today's game? I take KL. Though, Rudy Gobert is still showing us a rim protector will fix a LOT of issues defensively.

KnicksorBust
04-05-2018, 01:07 AM
The counter would be its easier to build around a superstar when he doesn't even need to touch the ball to have that level of impact on the game. I also don't consider harden elite historically, certainly not on the level of Russell's defense. You underrate his impact on that end and he wasn't exactly a zero on offense. Seriously look capellas numbers today, throw in superior passing acumen and defense+rebounding and you have a guy you could argue above the man we voted in wilt. How is that not up there?

OK I get that you can't imagine a player that destructive defensively but without an elite offense the guy was able to match wilt. Are you saying he's less transferable today, what of the 90s. Which era matters most to you?

In regards to Harden...What more would Harden have to do to be considered elite offensively? He scores 30ppg with 10apg on over 60% ts. How many guys have done that?

In regards to Russell...definitely less transferable. I am old enough to have seen rodman and ben wallace so I get the impact but his rim protection is less valuable in a league that shoots 3s at a historic clip. Different game then.

valade16
04-05-2018, 12:26 PM
In regards to Harden...What more would Harden have to do to be considered elite offensively? He scores 30ppg with 10apg on over 60% ts. How many guys have done that?

In regards to Russell...definitely less transferable. I am old enough to have seen rodman and ben wallace so I get the impact but his rim protection is less valuable in a league that shoots 3s at a historic clip. Different game then.

For me, to take the step from a historically great offensive player to a historically elite player I need to see him be as impactful offensively in the playoffs.

Much like D-Rob, what good is scoring 30 PPG on great efficiency in the regular season if you can only do 25 PPG on average efficiency in the playoffs?

Chronz
04-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Kill it when it counts, stop relying on the whistle whilst being incredibly turnover prone

JLynn943
04-05-2018, 01:35 PM
He is top 5 at both but I don't think its possible to argue him for #1 at either... I also don't think his scoring would come close to Harden even now so if you wanna go all-in on offense then Harden is the pick.

Nash's scoring goes up in today's game imo. With his shooting (especially for 3 and at the FT line), I think it tops 20 ppg in his prime. His assists would likely also rise considerably now that everyone and their mom can shoot 3's. Head-to-head with Harden, he's the better shooter and better playmaker/passer. Obviously usage is a factor, and Harden's game is built more to carry the scoring load, but I think Nash's playmaking ability more than makes up for that difference points-wise.

Chronz
04-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Nash's scoring goes up in today's game imo. With his shooting (especially for 3 and at the FT line), I think it tops 20 ppg in his prime. His assists would likely also rise considerably now that everyone and their mom can shoot 3's. Head-to-head with Harden, he's the better shooter and better playmaker/passer. Obviously usage is a factor, and Harden's game is built more to carry the scoring load, but I think Nash's playmaking ability more than makes up for that difference points-wise.

Easily. If we're talking offensive games here, how is this not nash?

Chronz
04-05-2018, 03:33 PM
For me, to take the step from a historically great offensive player to a historically elite player I need to see him be as impactful offensively in the playoffs.

Much like D-Rob, what good is scoring 30 PPG on great efficiency in the regular season if you can only do 25 PPG on average efficiency in the playoffs?

I know he was past his prime but did you see his series vs the suns the year Duncan was out? If so, how did you feel about it? To me, I honestly expected it, only because a problem he always had would only manifest itself ugliest once his body declined.

valade16
04-05-2018, 08:56 PM
I know he was past his prime but did you see his series vs the suns the year Duncan was out? If so, how did you feel about it? To me, I honestly expected it, only because a problem he always had would only manifest itself ugliest once his body declined.

Honestly I didn't recall what series you were talking about. I'm assuming (after google) you mean the 2000 Series when they lost 1-3 and he shot 37% from the field?

I'd have to watch the series but just looking at the numbers it doesn't surprise me considering his propensity to do that before Duncan.