PDA

View Full Version : Who wins coach of the year?

aman_13
04-02-2018, 07:16 PM
I thought Casey was a lock but now I'm not sure with the way the Celtics are playing and missing so many key players. Can't forget to acknowledge Dantoni who could easily win it again. Quin Snyder is another great candidate.

I would make a poll but I'm on the app. If a mod can add one, please do. Thanks!

They talked about it on the Jump today:

https://youtu.be/TGvlHSbebyI

warfelg
04-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Coach of the Year? Brett Brown 'Coach of the Last 5 Years' (http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/coach-year-brett-brown-coach-last-5-years)

More-Than-Most
04-02-2018, 07:28 PM
celtics coach... makes my sick but whatever he deserves it.

aman_13
04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Coach of the Year? Brett Brown 'Coach of the Last 5 Years' (http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/coach-year-brett-brown-coach-last-5-years)

Brett Brown is one of my favourite coaches. Definitely another great candidate.

More-Than-Most
04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
I am not a big brown fan but if the sixers finish with over 50 wins... That is insane. Factor in no fultz this year and embiid missing 18 plus games.

valade16
04-02-2018, 07:51 PM
I think D'Antoni wins it because the Rockets have the best record.

Stotts from the Blazers deserves serious consideration.

ewing
04-02-2018, 08:00 PM
I think D'Antoni wins it because the Rockets have the best record.

Stotts from the Blazers deserves serious consideration.

D'antni deserves it IMO

JasonJohnHorn
04-02-2018, 08:20 PM
This is always the hardest award to pick because there are so many great coaches.

Pop deserve is for getting this team (in the West) over .500 and in the playoffs, despite missing a franchise player and playing with what (as far as I know) is the oldest team in the league (or close to it).

Stevens deserves it because he has been astounding with all the players that team has missed.

Casey deserves it becaue he's managed to take Toronto to the top of the East in a year people expected them to fall back.

There is a case for 'Antoni (though I put that more on CP3 and Harden, but he deserve some credit to).

Other gys who have a case...

Doc (who thought the Clippers would be over .500 without CP3 and Blake?)
Snyder (two teams lose Hayward and they both do better????)
Stotts (this Portland team has really stepped up their game)
Thibbs (people will grip that he plays his guys too many minutes, but this team is looking like it is on the cusp of being a contender)
McMiillan (people wrote the Pacers off and this was supposed to be a lottery season for them)

My vote would go to Casey. I feel like he's been doing a consistently impressive job in TO and hasn't been given much credit. The last five years, he has posted the five winningest season in Toronto's history. This year is on pace to be the best season they've ever had. I feel like he's got to get something.

Stevens is equally deserving, but I also feel like he's going to be getting a couple of this in his time (not that that's a good reason not to give him the ward).

So... Casey is my first vote, Stevens is my second, and Pop is my third, but any of these guys have a strong case.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Let's give it to Casey because the Raptors will win the finals.

Jamiecballer
04-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Casey
D'Antoni
Pop

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
04-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Since the standings are so close, this is really tough.

Casey
D'Antoni
Pop
Brad

Those are my top four. If I really had to rank them:

Brad
Pop
D'Antoni
Casey

YAALREADYKNO
04-02-2018, 10:53 PM
In no order are my top 3 candidates
Dantoni
Stevens
Casey

tredigs
04-03-2018, 01:08 AM
No to derail, but is this actually an award anyone cares about? I am an NBA junkie and I have NO idea who won this 2 years ago. Or last year, for that matter.

More-Than-Most
04-03-2018, 01:29 AM
No to derail, but is this actually an award anyone cares about? I am an NBA junkie and I have NO idea who won this 2 years ago. Or last year, for that matter.

nobody should care about any award... if the awards were given to the best pop would have 10 plus coach of the years and lebron would have at least 10 mvps.

mrblisterdundee
04-03-2018, 11:12 AM
I think Mike D'Antoni should get the award, then gift it to Jeff Bzdelik. Houston reached another level this season with their defense, and it was because D'Antoni was willing to let someone run that end for him.

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2018, 11:40 AM
I think Mike D'Antoni should get the award, then gift it to Jeff Bzdelik. Houston reached another level this season with their defense, and it was because D'Antoni was willing to let someone run that end for him.

Perhaps they should have an 'ACOY' award.

I've thought of this before. We've seen guys like Tex Winters, who created the triangle, get in the HOF for their contributions, but never an award? I mean... they have a 6th man award. Even if it was just something coaches did amongst themselves.

Ishkabibble
04-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Saying you won't vote for Stevens because "he'll probably win a couple" down the road my be the worst logic I've ever seen. The other candidates (Casey/D'Antoni) are fine choices if you don't wanna vote for Stevens. It's just that the criteria being used is absurd.

HandsOnTheWheel
04-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Antoni or Pop

Lil Rhody
04-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Watch Celtics vs bucks with Monroe at point and it will tell you the real answer

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kdspurman
04-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Pop has a very strong argument. Normally it's when his team is playing amazing and has 60+ wins.

This year, to have coached these guys who have had so many injuries, be a top 3 defensive team, and possibly have HCA in the first round is so impressive. Might be one of his best coaching seasons yet. They've hung their hats on being great defensively and everyone has bought in

JAZZNC
04-04-2018, 12:13 PM
I know everybody is gonna be pushing their own guy but if the Jazz can get HC in the first round how the hell is Snyder not in the conversation? Everybody thought we'd be garbage without Hayward, then Rudy misses a lot of time with injury and still can get home court. Add in a midseason trade sending out the second leading scorer on the team, having Exum miss most of the year, huge roster turnover from last year, and having several key bench players miss a lot of time. He's don't a magnificent job this year and has certainly made me believe that he's a great NBA coach.

Hawkeye15
04-04-2018, 03:38 PM
this year actually has a ton of legit candidates.

aman_13
04-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Pop has a very strong argument. Normally it's when his team is playing amazing and has 60+ wins.

This year, to have coached these guys who have had so many injuries, be a top 3 defensive team, and possibly have HCA in the first round is so impressive. Might be one of his best coaching seasons yet. They've hung their hats on being great defensively and everyone has bought in

I should of mentioned his name as well in the OP. Definitely a worthy candidate and is he getting the Leo treatment? I don't remember him winning coach of the year.

kdspurman
04-04-2018, 04:30 PM
I should of mentioned his name as well in the OP. Definitely a worthy candidate and is he getting the Leo treatment? I don't remember him winning coach of the year.

He's won it a few times. 2003, 2012, 2014.. I doubt he'll get it, but outside of 2014, with the injuries and adversity they've faced, it is one of his more impressive coaching seasons. And he's had some great seasons, but this & 2014 stand out to me .

aman_13
04-04-2018, 05:07 PM
He's won it a few times. 2003, 2012, 2014.. I doubt he'll get it, but outside of 2014, with the injuries and adversity they've faced, it is one of his more impressive coaching seasons. And he's had some great seasons, but this & 2014 stand out to me .

Oh so he has. I remember someone telling me he never won it and took his word for it. I guess it also speaks to what Tre was saying, it's easy to forget past winners.

His name isn't getting much recognition mainstream wise in regards to coy but a great argument can be made for him this season.

ewing
04-04-2018, 05:41 PM
I know everybody is gonna be pushing their own guy but if the Jazz can get HC in the first round how the hell is Snyder not in the conversation? Everybody thought we'd be garbage without Hayward, then Rudy misses a lot of time with injury and still can get home court. Add in a midseason trade sending out the second leading scorer on the team, having Exum miss most of the year, huge roster turnover from last year, and having several key bench players miss a lot of time. He's don't a magnificent job this year and has certainly made me believe that he's a great NBA coach.

I really like your coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonJohnHorn
04-05-2018, 12:02 AM

I've been really impressed with that this year as well.

I mean... look at that team on paper... their starting point guard gets less than three assists a game and can't shoot.

The average age of their 3 leading scorers is 33 (LMA, Gasol, and Gay). Their best player wasn't even an All-NBA player last year, and they are still outplaying teams like OCK (who put together three All-Stars), New Orleans, who was playing with the two best big men in the game, playing as well as the Cavs, who have the GOAT, and in the West have a top-four spot in the playoffs?

That just seems crazy to me.

But Pop's won it before, so people are less inclined to vote for him. This award seems to be all aout 'narrative'. Which is why Sam Mitchell has one and Jerry Sloan doesn't.

But yeah... it's seasons like this, or Pat's first year in New York or PJax's first season with the Shaqless Lakers that really show how great those coaches are/were.

This is likely Pop's best work.

TrustJoseph
04-05-2018, 04:35 AM
Brett Brown east and it shouldn't even b close. To win over 50 game's with a team people thought would barely sneak into the 8th seed is amazing. Then you factor in the best two players are a rookie PG and essentially a 2nd year center is nothing short of amazing

TheDish87
04-05-2018, 08:26 AM
i feel like we saw a lot of elite coaching performances this season. In no order but Stevens, Casey, Pop, D'Antoni, Brown, Snyder, McMillian, Stotts, and Gentry have all done amazing jobs under different circumstances.

I dont think anyone thought the Raptors would win the East and push for 60 wins, Stevens keeping the C's ahead of the Cavs and also pushing 60 wins with an injury riddled roster to his key players, Pop without Leonard all year and old roster, Brown on the verge of leading the Sixers to 50 wins and a round of HCA in the playoffs, Snyder winning with very little offensive minded players, McMillin helping Dipos resurgence and not going for the rebuild, and Gentry making the playoffs after losing Cousins as the team was looking promising, and of course Mike D shutting up all the naysayers and turning Harden/CP3 into the best guard duo in the league en route to cruising to the leagues best record.

Heediot
04-05-2018, 10:31 AM

How nice would this team be if Hayward were still on it? I do agree Snyder is a legit coach and candidate. Do you think Gobert is more instrumental vs. Hayward to a team like Utah's success?

mightybosstone
04-05-2018, 12:17 PM
There are half a dozen guys this season who have legitimate cases: Casey, Pop, Stevens, Brown, D'Antoni, Stotts, Snyder, etc. Gun to my head, I think I'd give it to Stevens. He started the season with a nearly completely revamped roster, and his team lost one of its two best players for the season in the first half of the first game. That, coupled with how much these young guys are contributing and how they've managed to compete even when Kyrie has missed time, I just think he has the best case.

Casey could win it, but that Toronto team is pretty much the same core as last season, and I don't recall that team having to overcome much adversity. They certainly exceeded expectations, though, so I can see the argument for him. Pop and D'Antoni won't win because they've won multiple times before, even though they both have very strong cases. And while guys like Brown, Stotts, Snyder and Gentry all have decent cases, I just don't see them as realistic candidates to top those other four guys.

JAZZNC
04-05-2018, 02:40 PM
How nice would this team be if Hayward were still on it? I do agree Snyder is a legit coach and candidate. Do you think Gobert is more instrumental vs. Hayward to a team like Utah's success?

Absolutely. Hayward is a very good player but he isn't elite in any aspect of the game. Rudy is an elite rebounder and super elite defensively. He is a much better player than Hayward especially relative to our team. Just look at Hayward leaving and we are basically in the same position as last year seeding wise and had Rudy not gone down for significant time would likely have been just as good in the win column. Plus Rudy wants it and wants it to be on him, Hayward is a ***** and never wanted the challenge and pressure of being the man.

And I'm sure we'd be in a better position with Hayward. Obviously he's a better player than anybody he'd be replacing on the team. However, I wonder if Mitchell would have become the player he is as quickly if Hayward was around?? Maybe he would have and it would have helped his efficiency for sure having another high level scorer. But what's done is done.

Firefistus
04-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Honestly, the camaraderie on the Jazz hasn't been this good since the post 90's Jazz teams. I think Hayward was a big part of the division in the locker-room. I wouldn't have thought that, but the team is much closer and happier this year than they were last year, and you can visually see it on their faces and in their body language.

But back to the topic on hand. I think Stevens deserves Coach of the Year this year. He had an injury laden squad and still is kicking people's butts this year. It's very impressive.

I thought the Jazz were going to smoke the Celtics in Utah last week, as we completely destroyed them with our b team back in December, but they fought hard and squeaked out a win, and it was 100% because of Stevens constant adjustments on Snyder in the late 4th quarter. That coupled with the Jazz missing complete wide open threes probably helped, but his coaching pulled them out of a loss at the end of that. He's done that to a lot of the western conference teams, so I have to give him credit where credit is due here.

Ishkabibble
04-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Absolutely. Hayward is a very good player but he isn't elite in any aspect of the game. Rudy is an elite rebounder and super elite defensively. He is a much better player than Hayward especially relative to our team. Just look at Hayward leaving and we are basically in the same position as last year seeding wise and had Rudy not gone down for significant time would likely have been just as good in the win column. Plus Rudy wants it and wants it to be on him, Hayward is a ***** and never wanted the challenge and pressure of being the man.
--------------------------------------------------------
This clown has been hating on Hayward since the moment he left Utah.
No doubt his broken ankle was a celebratory moment.
And now, apparently, Boston just spent $128M on Brian Scalabrine.
Maybe your opinions on this really shouldn't matter, huh Chief?

HandsOnTheWheel
04-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Gotta agree with these Jazz dudes. Snyder has done the most with the least and are honestly a better team than last year w/ Hayward. Deserves a lot of consideration too.

In no order:
Antoni
Pop
Synder

JAZZNC
04-10-2018, 02:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------
This clown has been hating on Hayward since the moment he left Utah.
No doubt his broken ankle was a celebratory moment.
And now, apparently, Boston just spent $128M on Brian Scalabrine.
Maybe your opinions on this really shouldn't matter, huh Chief?

Damn son, butthurt much?

TylerSL
04-11-2018, 12:58 PM
I think it should be Pop. Not only is he the best coach, but the Spurs won 47/48 games in a year where Kawhi Leonard played in nine games. What other team (besides the unbelievably loaded Warriors) could win 47/48 games when their best player misses the entire season?