PDA

View Full Version : Hassan Whiteside Fined for Comments ďDetrimental to the HeatĒ

cmellofan15
04-01-2018, 06:09 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22992733/hassan-whiteside-fined-miami-heat-postgame-rant

Didnít expect him to be fined for this..also, donít expect for him to be on the Heat after this offseason. Two questions:

Did he deserve the fine?
What jersey will he be wearing at the start of next season?

Raps18-19 Champ
04-01-2018, 06:26 PM
He deserves the fine. Heat have rules and he broke them.

I think he will be traded to Mavs.

beasted86
04-01-2018, 07:06 PM

If Mavs offered Harrison Barnes for Whiteside I think they'd consider it.

Anyway, yes he deserves the fine. You don't air out complaints in the media like that and create a distraction as the team is trying to clinch the playoffs.

He could have had a meeting with Riley and Spo to address his playing time and the team's direction.

Whiteside is still immature and a horrible leader. He's a hugely effective player when he's motivated, but that is a scarce thing nowadays.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-01-2018, 08:20 PM
If Mavs offered Harrison Barnes for Whiteside I think they'd consider it.

Anyway, yes he deserves the fine. You don't air out complaints in the media like that and create a distraction as the team is trying to clinch the playoffs.

He could have had a meeting with Riley and Spo to address his playing time and the team's direction.

Whiteside is still immature and a horrible leader. He's a hugely effective player when he's motivated, but that is a scarce thing nowadays.

Mavs not offering Harrison Barnes. You'll get like Wesley Matthews.

hotdalton18
04-01-2018, 08:30 PM
As a heat fan I think Barnes for Whiteside is fair

We're not giving them Whiteside for Mathews unless a pick is attached

Raps18-19 Champ
04-01-2018, 08:41 PM

Then don't. I'm just telling you that Barnes won't be traded by the Mavs.

cmellofan15
04-01-2018, 09:02 PM
He deserves the fine. Heat have rules and he broke them.

Do tell

HandsOnTheWheel
04-01-2018, 09:10 PM
He's gone

R. Johnson#3
04-01-2018, 11:23 PM

As a fan of neither of these teams I wouldn't do the trade straight up if I were the Mavs.

Scoots
04-01-2018, 11:59 PM
Still a knucklehead.

LaVar Ball
04-02-2018, 12:08 AM
He's gone

Riley should have never signed him last summer. Would've saved the franchise the headache.

MTone8788
04-02-2018, 07:17 AM
Isn't he recently coming off an injury? I don't understand why he is complaining, how do Heat fans feel about him?

JAZZNC
04-02-2018, 08:21 AM
And these were the exact concerns that habe always been there with this guy. He's an idiot and is never going to get it.

ewing
04-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Big dummy wanting to play. I donít blame the Heat for fining him but if you see a guy pissed that he didnít play and your like oh no not on my team idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaDe03
04-02-2018, 09:43 AM
As a fan of neither of these teams I wouldn't do the trade straight up if I were the Mavs.

Doesn't make sense for either team. Whiteside is much better but older and the Mavs are trying to rebuild.

TheDish87
04-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Whiteside has no value. If hes traded it wont be for much.

Vinylman
04-02-2018, 10:05 AM
deng and the Cleveland 1st for Whiteside....

I know we (Lakers) are overpaying for him but whatever... we will do it just to get it done

GiantsSwaGG
04-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Stop giving these type of players max money.

Vinylman
04-02-2018, 10:45 AM

it was the cap explosion year... sorta to be expected...

warfelg
04-02-2018, 04:09 PM

This.

I said it at the time that letting him walk was the best course of action.

IndyRealist
04-02-2018, 10:38 PM
Devil's Advocate: any player on that roster takes Whiteside's minutes, and they're not in the playoffs. If this were Kobe, people would be talking about his competitiveness not his attitude. He wants minutes, he wants to play. Every indication is that they're grooming his replacement(s), and why should he take that lying down?

KingPosey
04-03-2018, 02:11 AM
Isn't he recently coming off an injury? I don't understand why he is complaining, how do Heat fans feel about him?

I will say his minutes do get messed with and donít always make sense. I understand the pulling a guy that canít make free throws down the stretch but he will have a game where he may APPEAR to be playing slow and gets pulled and he has games where heís dominating statistically and playing D and gets pulled. Itís not ALWAYS an effort thing and itís also not always an effectiveness thing. It has to be something we arenít entirely privy too

ewing
04-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Devil's Advocate: any player on that roster takes Whiteside's minutes, and they're not in the playoffs. If this were Kobe, people would be talking about his competitiveness not his attitude. He wants minutes, he wants to play. Every indication is that they're grooming his replacement(s), and why should he take that lying down?

I agree, Whiteside has a rep for having maturity issues and some people feel the need to jump on anyone with that rep any chance they get.

TheDish87
04-03-2018, 08:52 AM
to be fair he also has heart and motor issues. he was getting benched late in games a lot this season already. i guess he didnt get the message and now his mins are cut all together.

ewing
04-03-2018, 10:15 AM
to be fair he also has heart and motor issues. he was getting benched late in games a lot this season already. i guess he didnt get the message and now his mins are cut all together.

Iíve always thought Whiteside had a good motor and played hard. Not always smart but hard. Any Heat fans have comment?

warfelg
04-03-2018, 10:26 AM
I mean....he sucks at FTs. Drummond always sat 4th quarters. Became a better FT shooter. Plays 4th quarters now.

Other thing Iíve seen is Whiteside tends to chase blocks and it leaves the team defense scrambling. Not always something you can have in the 4th.

TheDish87
04-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Iíve always thought Whiteside had a good motor and played hard. Not always smart but hard. Any Heat fans have comment?

i never really got that impression, i dont mean that as he always looks lazy but i guess something in between. always came off as the i gotta get mine guy.

ewing
04-03-2018, 11:09 AM
i never really got that impression, i dont mean that as he always looks lazy but i guess something in between. always came off as the i gotta get mine guy.

That different then not having a good motor imo. Whiteside is always active when I watch, it might not be ďgood activeĒ all the time but I think he has a high motor

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2018, 11:35 AM
First, I think some people are being a bit harsh with respect to Whitside. He's got plenty of value, though he admittedly has limitations.

The dude is pulling in 11+ boards a game in only 25 minutes, he hits over half his shots, and he is a 7-footer that shoots .700 from the FT line.

Defensivley? Sure... he's overrated by a lot of people. He had a great year when he led the league in blocks, but now he gets more fouls than blocks. That is a problem. I've also heard that the team has a better defensive rating when he's on the bench, which seems odd, but hey...

He is at the very least an interesting defensive presence.

Now... his comments? Unprofessional. No doubt. Detrimental to the team? Sure. I think Miami is fair in fining him.

That said, I also recognize him, and most players, are inherently competitive. He wants to be out there when his team is trying to seal the win. It is a major shot to his pride that he isn't out there at those times when his work often helps keep the team in the games.

But he also isn't a coach. Spo is. When the opposition goes with one line-up to exploit match-ups, Spo has to make changes too. I don't feel like Whiteside understands the game well enough to see the value in what Spo does.

He led the team in winshares the last two years, he's their best rebounder, and one of the best rebounders in the league. He's got some pride, but also some maturity issues. He likely feels underappreciated, but at the end of the day, he's geting paid very well.

When you are a professional, you gotta take the long view and take a hit for the team and trust your coach.

I get both sides here. Spo has to do what he thinks is best. The Heat have to look out for the team. Whiteside is a competitor. They might all being thinking about what is best for the team but simply have different ideas on how to achieve that. But Whiteside should have certainly went about expresshing his thoughts through more private channels.

WaDe03
04-03-2018, 12:01 PM
I mean....he sucks at FTs. Drummond always sat 4th quarters. Became a better FT shooter. Plays 4th quarters now.

Other thing Iíve seen is Whiteside tends to chase blocks and it leaves the team defense scrambling. Not always something you can have in the 4th.

He shoots 70% from the free throw line while Drummond shoots 62%.

Idk what it is but he should be playing 32 MPG, especially with Wade back because they have a great 2 man game.

ewing
04-03-2018, 12:01 PM
First, I think some people are being a bit harsh with respect to Whitside. He's got plenty of value, though he admittedly has limitations.

The dude is pulling in 11+ boards a game in only 25 minutes, he hits over half his shots, and he is a 7-footer that shoots .700 from the FT line.

Defensivley? Sure... he's overrated by a lot of people. He had a great year when he led the league in blocks, but now he gets more fouls than blocks. That is a problem. I've also heard that the team has a better defensive rating when he's on the bench, which seems odd, but hey...

Now... his comments? Unprofessional. No doubt. Detrimental to the team? Sure. I think Miami is fair in fining him.

That said, I also recognize him, and most players, are inherently competitive. He wants to be out there when his team is trying to seal the win. It is a major shot to his pride that he isn't out there at those times when his work often helps keep the team in the games.

But he also isn't a coach. Spo is. When the opposition goes with one line-up to exploit match-ups, Spo has to make changes too. I don't feel like Whiteside understands the game well enough to see the value in what Spo does.

He led the team in winshares the last two years, he's their best rebounder, and one of the best rebounders in the league. He's got some pride, but also some maturity issues. He likely feels underappreciated, but at the end of the day, he's geting paid very well.

When you are a professional, you gotta take the long view and take a hit for the team and trust your coach.

I get both sides here. Spo has to do what he thinks is best. The Heat have to look out for the team. Whiteside is a competitor. They might all being thinking about what is best for the team but simply have different ideas on how to achieve that. But Whiteside should have certainly went about expresshing his thoughts through more private channels.

Thatís fair. I think he should pay his fine and everyone should move on. No biggie

RCarlson85
04-03-2018, 01:43 PM

He plays hard when he wants to and when he feels motivated. Seems like it can be an every other game thing sometimes or depends on who he matches up against. I really like Whiteside but as a Heat fan he's very frustrating with his inconsistency. When he's good, he's really good. When he's having an off night it's usually really bad. On his off nights you can clearly see a lack of effort and focus so it's not like he's playing his heart out and just misses some shots or whatever.

RCarlson85
04-03-2018, 01:51 PM

What's hard is that he says he wants more minutes but yet in the last game he was asking out of the game by the 8 minute mark of the 1st qtr. If he were more consistent I don't think Spo would have any problem playing him 30+ minutes. One game he's awesome and looks totally locked in and focused on both ends of the court. Heat fans think he may have turned a corner but then he comes out the next night and plays like crap and shows no energy or focus and making boneheaded plays/fouls. There's no doubt he's talented and the Heat are better off when the good Whiteside shows up but he's pretty much a roller coaster ride from one game to the next.

ewing
04-03-2018, 03:06 PM
He plays hard when he wants to and when he feels motivated. Seems like it can be an every other game thing sometimes or depends on who he matches up against. I really like Whiteside but as a Heat fan he's very frustrating with his inconsistency. When he's good, he's really good. When he's having an off night it's usually really bad. On his off nights you can clearly see a lack of effort and focus so it's not like he's playing his heart out and just misses some shots or whatever.

Thanks. Heís always seemed like a guy that chased the ball and got himself in trouble with bad positioning/decisions but who was always super active even if he wad hurting the team I didnít realize his effort dropped when he struggled

HandsOnTheWheel
04-03-2018, 03:31 PM
One of the lazier guys in the league. Gives half *** efforts and shows up to games when it's convienient for him to do so. Its just Spo and the Heat's way of keeping him honest in games he doesn't give a full effort or generally seems distracted or uninterested/doesn't play like everyone knows he's capable of

Raps18-19 Champ
04-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Do tell

About their rules?

Couldn't tell you the quote but every team outlines rules to their players. Looks like he made "comments detrimental to the team", which would be discussed with members of the organization at some point.

Kinda like if you shouted "n****" in the workplace. I'm sure at one point or another, offensive language has been mentioned to you.