PDA

View Full Version : Prospect to go direct to g-league

Scoots
03-29-2018, 04:27 PM
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/projected-top-10-draft-pick-make-leap-high-school-g-league-193725979.html

So, how is it determined which g-league team he plays for? Does he just get to pick his NBA team to play for for the g-league max?

It will be interesting to see how this works.

TrueFan420
03-29-2018, 05:54 PM
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/projected-top-10-draft-pick-make-leap-high-school-g-league-193725979.html

So, how is it determined which g-league team he plays for? Does he just get to pick his NBA team to play for for the g-league max?

My guess is he signs a 1 year deal with whoever and then when he can declare for the draft he declares and can be selected by anyone. I'd guess he picks the team closest to home.

Firefistus
03-29-2018, 06:01 PM
My guess is he signs a 1 year deal with whoever and then when he can declare for the draft he declares and can be selected by anyone. I'd guess he picks the team closest to home.

Makes you wonder how teams are going to try to recruit him. This gets me excited that it's starting to happen, I've always disliked NCAA basketball and the way it's organized. ESPECIALLY if he's drafted #1. That will make kids re-think NCAA that people feel are NBA ready.

warfelg
03-29-2018, 06:31 PM

G-League has a draft, after NBA training camps. Players cut with less than, IIRC, 2 years in either league are put into the 3 round draft.

HandsOnTheWheel
03-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Like it. My hope is that they eventually implement a system where high school guys are eligible to go straight to the NBA out of high school like they had before, but just set up a system where if it doesn't work out for the player in roughly a 3-4 year window, then they have the choice of returning to college and getting their degree to pursue other means. Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, KG, Amare, Dwight Howard, Tmac, and Jermaine O'neal are just a few of the names seen coming straight out of high school and many of which had (are having) unbelievable careers.

HandsOnTheWheel
03-29-2018, 07:39 PM
Not to say that skipping college ball is the right way to go as there were a number of busts as well, but taking a look at the numbers in close to 15 years since they removed high school players in the draft (which lasted for only a 10 year window), yeah we've had guys like Durant, Anthony Davis, Westbrook, Harden, etc. but IMO, have lacked generational type talents especially in the last decade besides the ones mentioned. There's got to be a correlation between players skipping college and possessing an untapped potential as has rarely to be seen since doing away with it.

Cal827
03-29-2018, 08:11 PM
:clap: **** the NCAA

warfelg
03-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Like it. My hope is that they eventually implement a system where high school guys are eligible to go straight to the NBA out of high school like they had before, but just set up a system where if it doesn't work out for the player in roughly a 3-4 year window, then they have the choice of returning to college and getting their degree to pursue other means. Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, KG, Amare, Dwight Howard, Tmac, and Jermaine O'neal are just a few of the names seen coming straight out of high school and many of which had (are having) unbelievable careers.

They can 100% do that now. Just can't play for a college team.

Scoots
03-29-2018, 09:43 PM
G-League has a draft, after NBA training camps. Players cut with less than, IIRC, 2 years in either league are put into the 3 round draft.

So a high school player who is ineligible for the NBA will be eligible for that draft? How do they determine the draft order? Will g-league teams tank to have the best shot at the top high school talent?

Lil Rhody
03-29-2018, 10:00 PM
So a high school player who is ineligible for the NBA will be eligible for that draft? How do they determine the draft order? Will g-league teams tank to have the best shot at the top high school talent?My G league team "processes" better than yours

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tp13baby
03-29-2018, 10:10 PM
NCAA is a joke but the style of play is way better than the g-league. The g-league is a run and gun system with no defense.

warfelg
03-29-2018, 10:19 PM
So a high school player who is ineligible for the NBA will be eligible for that draft? How do they determine the draft order? Will g-league teams tank to have the best shot at the top high school talent?

I honestly have no clue. And if this kid is any good I doubt any team would throw themselves fully into developing him or anything like that. It's why the NCAA is always going to have a hold. G-League, Euroball....these leagues have no long term incentives to develop the player. The NCAA makes more money off them just being there.

TrueFan420
03-29-2018, 11:26 PM
I think it's simple. Allow for 18 year olds to enter the draft. But require they play their first year in the G League.

AllBall
03-29-2018, 11:51 PM
I seem to recall discussing this with OP

http://i.imgur.com/30eEul4.gif

Scoots
03-30-2018, 09:23 AM
I honestly have no clue. And if this kid is any good I doubt any team would throw themselves fully into developing him or anything like that. It's why the NCAA is always going to have a hold. G-League, Euroball....these leagues have no long term incentives to develop the player. The NCAA makes more money off them just being there.

I could see the incentive for a g-league team to get a player so they can sell them on the big team. I don't like the idea of one team having influence on a player for a year before they go to the NBA ... and will they go back into the NBA draft after multiple years in the g-league?

Scoots
03-30-2018, 09:24 AM
I think it's simple. Allow for 18 year olds to enter the draft. But require they play their first year in the G League.

That doesn't solve the fundamental issue of the NBA wanting more information on the players against higher level competition than high school before they draft them.

warfelg
03-30-2018, 09:33 AM
I could see the incentive for a g-league team to get a player so they can sell them on the big team. I don't like the idea of one team having influence on a player for a year before they go to the NBA ... and will they go back into the NBA draft after multiple years in the g-league?

Iím pretty sure they would have to go to the NBA draft after that. Just like Euro players.

TheDish87
03-30-2018, 09:44 AM
how is he allowed to do this? also g-leaguers dont make much money, id rather go to college for a year and travel the country/world and get taken care of while being able to showcase on a national level. I guess i get it somewhat from a developmental standpoint but the g-league is like triple A baseball, mostly slobs and hasbeens who arent there to help you.

IndyRealist
03-30-2018, 10:48 AM
how is he allowed to do this? also g-leaguers dont make much money, id rather go to college for a year and travel the country/world and get taken care of while being able to showcase on a national level. I guess i get it somewhat from a developmental standpoint but the g-league is like triple A baseball, mostly slobs and hasbeens who arent there to help you.

G-leaguers make 50k or 75k I think. Considering scholarship players have to spend that on tuition for classes they don't want anyway, 50k is a lot. Then consider if they have no intention of going to college, they can get endorsement money right away. Personally if I had no intention of ever completing a college degree and saw myself as an NBA player, I'd rather go to the G-league where you are being developed and evaluated by NBA teams constantly and you can start getting paid, as opposed to colleges where most of them have no incentive to develop you as a one and done.

TheDish87
03-30-2018, 11:15 AM
two way players make 50-75k. everyone else seems to get much, much less. College athletes get waaaay more perks than most realize, if i cant go right to the league id be more into at least a year of college. you can coast (Simmons) and still get drafted high.

beasted86
03-30-2018, 11:18 AM
G-leaguers make 50k or 75k I think. Considering scholarship players have to spend that on tuition for classes they don't want anyway, 50k is a lot. Then consider if they have no intention of going to college, they can get endorsement money right away. Personally if I had no intention of ever completing a college degree and saw myself as an NBA player, I'd rather go to the G-league where you are being developed and evaluated by NBA teams constantly and you can start getting paid, as opposed to colleges where most of them have no incentive to develop you as a one and done.

"Currently, player salaries in the G League have bases of $19,500 or $26,000."

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/first-high-school-g-league-prospect-im-aware-might-start-trend-194136804.html

beasted86
03-30-2018, 11:23 AM
I'm sure most of us adults here make more than than $26K (albeit most can't make that only in 50 work days for the year).

But nonetheless it's a decent option. Unless I had direct family responsibilities where I had to stay in the USA, I'd rather go to Europe for a year and make more.

LA4life24/8
03-30-2018, 12:23 PM
two way players make 50-75k. everyone else seems to get much, much less. College athletes get waaaay more perks than most realize, if i cant go right to the league id be more into at least a year of college. you can coast (Simmons) and still get drafted high.
Not to mention every hot chick on campus wantin yo dick, Cuz they know you are gonna be rich in a year. College girls throwin themselves at you would be a huge incentive to go to college, let's be forreal

TheDish87
03-30-2018, 12:30 PM
cant even lie that was one of the perks i was referring too.

warfelg
03-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Thereís the other side perks. Letís say heís top end $26,000.

Endorsements. Small shoe deal. Getting and agent to financially back you. Better training.

Dollar figure and the value of benefits could be big.

beasted86
03-30-2018, 03:02 PM
Thereís the other side perks. Letís say heís top end $26,000.

Endorsements. Small shoe deal. Getting and agent to financially back you. Better training.

Dollar figure and the value of benefits could be big.

True. Totally forgot the endorsement deal rule is completely gone.

End of the day, I don't think prospects start taking it seriously until a guy gets drafted top 5 coming out of the D-League.

TheDish87
03-30-2018, 03:24 PM
i cant imagine a kid whose only a top 10 prospect getting a significant (enough) endorsement deal. If he underachieves that means hes likely not even a lotto pick. Just take the under the table money and go to Cuse and get to play against major programs and prospects and be in the national eye.

IndyRealist
03-30-2018, 08:22 PM
"Currently, player salaries in the G League have bases of $19,500 or $26,000."

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/first-high-school-g-league-prospect-im-aware-might-start-trend-194136804.html

Still, the money is more than they're getting going to college, since scholarships go toward tuition. AND they can get endorsement money. The structure will probably be similar to how MMA works. Fighters get sponsored, which basically pays them a salary until they "make it".

IndyRealist
03-30-2018, 08:31 PM
i cant imagine a kid whose only a top 10 prospect getting a significant (enough) endorsement deal. If he underachieves that means hes likely not even a lotto pick. Just take the under the table money and go to Cuse and get to play against major programs and prospects and be in the national eye.

How much is "significant"? Because 6 figures will set up most of these kids' families quite well, and it's perfectly legal. No threat of sanctions or fraud investigations by the FBI. If a kid is choosing not to go to college and start making money right away, there's likely financial reasons. A small shoe deal is a winning lotto ticket.

If he underachieves at Syracuse he's not a lotto pick either. That's not a factor either way. And if he excels in the G-League going against grown men, he bumps his stock more than if he excels against kids in college destined for Chinese and Russian leagues.

AllBall
03-30-2018, 11:41 PM

This is the clearest indication yet that things are changing drastically in the G-League. Welcome to the new era. NBA is finally boosting their farm system.

I'm sure most of us adults here make more than than $26K (albeit most can't make that only in 50 work days for the year).

I would have loved to make that at as a teenager, lol.

Heediot
03-31-2018, 04:42 AM

I think you can get a solid 20-30k shoe deal at minimum with a big brand. That is such a low investment for the shoe company. It's a low risk high reward scenario for a shoe company.

Ben Simmons would of gotten 6 figure deal from a shoe company playing in the d league straight out of hs if he went that route IMO.

TheDish87
03-31-2018, 10:29 AM
I think you can get a solid 20-30k shoe deal at minimum with a big brand. That is such a low investment for the shoe company. It's a low risk high reward scenario for a shoe company.

Ben Simmons would of gotten 6 figure deal from a shoe company playing in the d league straight out of hs if he went that route IMO.

there is a major gap in talent and hype between this kid and Simmons. None of us knew who this kid is, Simmons was regarded as a generational talent.

AllBall
03-31-2018, 10:43 AM
ESPN made a good point about this, the kid's agent can and will most likely give him a loan if he believes he will ultimately end up on an NBA team and it is legal. So, add another $50-100K on top of whatever he makes in in the G-League, and the fact that he has raised enough eyebrows by being the only one doing this, will ensure that NBA teams will keep a close eye on him and now it looks like a smart move.

Heediot
03-31-2018, 11:37 AM
there is a major gap in talent and hype between this kid and Simmons. None of us knew who this kid is, Simmons was regarded as a generational talent.

I feel you. But I think he can still snatch a small chunk of change from a shoe company to wear their brand.

IndyRealist
03-31-2018, 12:29 PM

Everyone knows who he is now. That's a shoe deal waiting to happen. Gatorade too, most likely.

Scoots
03-31-2018, 12:42 PM
ESPN made a good point about this, the kid's agent can and will most likely give him a loan if he believes he will ultimately end up on an NBA team and it is legal. So, add another $50-100K on top of whatever he makes in in the G-League, and the fact that he has raised enough eyebrows by being the only one doing this, will ensure that NBA teams will keep a close eye on him and now it looks like a smart move.

And if he bombs in the G-league that 100k loan is a major negative.

It will be interesting, particularly if he tears up the g-league enough to be a top pick in the draft.

Heediot
03-31-2018, 01:01 PM
And if he bombs in the G-league that 100k loan is a major negative.

It will be interesting, particularly if he tears up the g-league enough to be a top pick in the draft.

There is international ball. In Europe top players can make 2-5 million. A good starter makes 6 figures easily in a good league. Spain, VTB, Turkey, Greece, Germany, Italy, France, Lithuania, Adriatic leagues can give you a solid pay overseas. He might be able to make it up overseas. China pays even better then the top Clubs in Europe in some dynamics. Japan and Australia pay all right for foreigners too. I'm not clued in on South America. I think not making the nba isn't the end of the world IMO and I think there are other avenues of making money off ball outside the nba.

Scoots
03-31-2018, 11:39 PM
There is international ball. In Europe top players can make 2-5 million. A good starter makes 6 figures easily in a good league. Spain, VTB, Turkey, Greece, Germany, Italy, France, Lithuania, Adriatic leagues can give you a solid pay overseas. He might be able to make it up overseas. China pays even better then the top Clubs in Europe in some dynamics. Japan and Australia pay all right for foreigners too. I'm not clued in on South America. I think not making the nba isn't the end of the world IMO and I think there are other avenues of making money off ball outside the nba.

by "6 figures" you mean "7 figures"?

Heediot
03-31-2018, 11:49 PM
by "6 figures" you mean "7 figures"?

no 6 figures. like 100k and up.

another perk of playing international is cost of living is cheaper and you can save up more with less distractions and people bugging you. some teams even give you a crib and ride to use.

zookman65
04-01-2018, 08:58 AM
NCAA is a joke but the style of play is way better than the g-league. The g-league is a run and gun system with no defense.

Not if most of the top tier talent skips college and goes straight to a newly formulated g-league. Don't mistake low scores and lack of offense in many NCAA games for good defense. 90 percent of players in NCAA simply aren't good at basketball.

Heediot
04-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Not if most of the top tier talent skips college and goes straight to a newly formulated g-league. Don't mistake low scores and lack of offense in many NCAA games for good defense. 90 percent of players in NCAA simply aren't good at basketball.

Talent helps, but look at Cal's teams at Kentucky, his teams aren't high scoring teams. He tends to get high end talent every year. I think coaching and schemes are also a factor. Some guys also have talent but lack a feel for the game, that's also a factor. In College you have to play within the system too, so if the system plays a certain way you might have to yield for the betterment of the team (or coaches vision). In the nba, high picks on bad teams get the green light to do a lot of things and make a lot of mistakes. It's mostly not that way in college either. In the D league I think there is a green light for every team for specific players to develop. There is barely any coaching or shceming in the d league.

zookman65
04-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Talent helps, but look at Cal's teams at Kentucky, his teams aren't high scoring teams. He tends to get high end talent every year. I think coaching and schemes are also a factor. Some guys also have talent but lack a feel for the game, that's also a factor. In College you have to play within the system too, so if the system plays a certain way you might have to yield for the betterment of the team (or coaches vision). In the nba, high picks on bad teams get the green light to do a lot of things and make a lot of mistakes. It's mostly not that way in college either. In the D league I think there is a green light for every team for specific players to develop. There is barely any coaching or shceming in the d league.

Any idea what the comp structure would be like? Let's be honest, most of the one and done kids are not student athletes. They are there for the minimum time necessary and usually drop out the moment the season is over. In the development league at least they will be compensated (legally) and not continue with the charade of being a "student-athlete"

Heediot
04-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Any idea what the comp structure would be like? Let's be honest, most of the one and done kids are not student athletes. They are there for the minimum time necessary and usually drop out the moment the season is over. In the development league at least they will be compensated (legally) and not continue with the charade of being a "student-athlete"

I'm not sure about the finances of the d league. I think they should up the pay as has been suggested by the players union, but I don't know who gets what if they raise the pay. I don't bother myself going too deep into that. Someone more knowledgeable might know.

I only know about other leagues because I do research and follow some overseas leagues and players. The D league, I ujst know these guys get like 60k and under if they aren't on an nba assignment to the g league. I think 80-100k for a two way contract for some guys too. that's pretty much all I know which is common knowledge I assume.

TheDish87
04-02-2018, 09:59 AM

neither are g league players...