PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving getting second opinion on left knee

warfelg
03-20-2018, 05:55 PM
https://nesn.com/2018/03/nba-rumors-celtics-kyrie-irving-getting-second-opinion-on-knee-needs-screws-out/

This really does not sound all that great.

Sounds like he needs the screws removed but one is saying that continuing to play could cause long term career threatening issues, another saying the damage is done and it's just about pain tolerance.

Forever35
03-20-2018, 06:32 PM
I'd say shut him down... 6 months till 18'/19' training camp...

I'd like to know what the surgical possibilities are and recovery time frame...

Firefistus
03-20-2018, 06:41 PM
With something this big I would get a third opinion as well. It's only money to analyze it, it's not like he's playing right now. Have a whole slew of doctors look at it. It's your career here and if there's a slight possibility of affecting your career, you should take the most care with it.

That's just my opinion though.

More-Than-Most
03-20-2018, 06:49 PM
That nets top 5 pick------------------------------------------>kyrie

WaDe03
03-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Doesn't sound good, I definitely want the Celtics 1st round. Just have to tie with the Bucks the rest of the way. Hoping Pacers snag the 3rd seed.

Cal827
03-20-2018, 08:50 PM
That's really unfortunate, hopefully, it's just a bit of pain, but if it's significant, he takes the proper route to ensure he has a lengthy career. I have memories of Brandon Roy from hearing this (though the issues are a little different)

JordansBulls
03-20-2018, 09:24 PM
This is just a way so Lebron doesn't lose to Kyrie. This league since 2002 Finals has been slick.

Vee-Rex
03-20-2018, 09:35 PM
This is just a way so Lebron doesn't lose to Kyrie. This league since 2002 Finals has been slick.

I remember when you were a rational mod. You really did fall off the deep end, bro. :(

JAZZNC
03-20-2018, 09:52 PM
I remember when you were a rational mod. You really did fall off the deep end, bro. :(

He's absolutely pathetic.

JordansBulls
03-20-2018, 09:59 PM

In what way? Do you really think Lebron wants to lose to Kyrie in a series knowing Kyrie would have HCA in it?

More-Than-Most
03-21-2018, 01:54 AM

once lebron started to get close to jordan he lost it man.

GiantsSwaGG
03-21-2018, 02:12 AM

:laugh2:

JAZZNC
03-21-2018, 08:16 AM
In what way? Do you really think Lebron wants to lose to Kyrie in a series knowing Kyrie would have HCA in it?

Jesus, of course he wouldn't. Nobody WANTS to lose a playoff series but that damn sure doesn't mean there is some sort of conspiracy going on you lunatic!

WaDe03
03-21-2018, 09:13 AM
The crazy thing is, he actually believes the **** he spouts. He does it on other boards too.

Forever35
03-21-2018, 09:33 AM
That nets top 5 pick------------------------------------------>kyrie

Kyrie >>>>>>>>> Nets pick 6-10... :D

FlashBolt
03-21-2018, 09:58 AM
once lebron started to get close to jordan he lost it man.

Lmfao, I've noticed this too. When I first joined, I kept reading about, "JoB would put this thread to rest." I never knew who JoB was and then I saw a post about LeBron being a choker and 6-0 nonsense. Knew it had to be this guy. He's just disturbed LeBron is getting recognition along with Jordan. He doesn't really believe anything he says but it's come to a point where he has to constantly convince himself it's true so he can sleep at night knowing Jordan's legacy is safe.

WaDe03
03-21-2018, 10:03 AM
I heard Brown may be done for the year too, is this true?

warfelg
03-21-2018, 10:38 AM
I heard Brown may be done for the year too, is this true?

Heís still out with concussion. Iíve seen a few NESN writers speculate itís more and the Celtics donít want to say it.

WaDe03
03-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Heís still out with concussion. Iíve seen a few NESN writers speculate itís more and the Celtics donít want to say it.

Weird situation. Celtics going through a lot with injuries this year. 7th seed may be more appealing than 5th, 6th, or 8th at this point.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-21-2018, 11:40 AM
As long as we don't have to face him.

prodigy
03-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Maybe the Cavs were the team that didn't disclose all medical information??? hmmm.... lol, i think it was common knowledge Irving has knee problems.

This is interesting though. A huge part of kyrie's game is play-making for himself, Handles and driving inside. He's never been much of a defender or passer. So what kind of issues does this injury cause for him? interesting to watch and see.

warfelg
03-21-2018, 05:31 PM
I think where this really hurts Kylie is what made him special was his explosion and thatís why he could beat guys off the dribble. So how much does this rob him of that.

Chronz
03-21-2018, 08:31 PM
That's what he get for trying to play defense this year

Giannis94
03-21-2018, 09:42 PM
Somewhere MTM is ripping him and derozan for missing games due to injury like he has done to my boys in the past.

PAOboston
03-22-2018, 08:10 AM
Heís still out with concussion. Iíve seen a few NESN writers speculate itís more and the Celtics donít want to say it.Do you have a link for that? I don't think I've seen anything about Brown since last week when he went into concussion protocol.

As for Kyrie, if he all he needs is rest to manage it, then sit him the rest if the year and see what he can give you in playoffs. It's not like the C's as currently constituted have a legit chance at a championship. Worst case they shut him down now and he just gets this surgery out of the way so he's ready for training camp.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

warfelg
03-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Do you have a link for that? I don't think I've seen anything about Brown since last week when he went into concussion protocol.

As for Kyrie, if he all he needs is rest to manage it, then sit him the rest if the year and see what he can give you in playoffs. It's not like the C's as currently constituted have a legit chance at a championship. Worst case they shut him down now and he just gets this surgery out of the way so he's ready for training camp.

I'll try to find it. They were responding to someone on twitter, where the writer said something like "Brown's still out with the concussion", someone asked "How much longer", and the response was "I dunno, going on this long there might be more to it." About 2 other's did something similar on twitter.

But like I said, it's speculation. They didn't say what it might be as people asked what they meant. I think they are just speculating because of the amount of time Horford was out and there was that story about how he went through a lot with his concussion.

WaDe03
03-23-2018, 12:41 PM

HandsOnTheWheel
03-23-2018, 01:16 PM
He's prob out for the year though the team won't disclose it

MTA12
03-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Damn the Celtics got hit hard this year. They will definitely be in the finals next year though barring LeBron stays in Cleveland. As a Lakers fan I hate to see our rivals go out like this.

FlashBolt
03-23-2018, 05:54 PM
Celtics without Kyrie are going to get eliminated in the first round. Even if Kyrie is healthy, you would have to think he's going to have to go through a mental battle. His dad was already blaming the Cavs for making him play in the playoffs three years ago. And since Kyrie is heading into a contract year next season, it would be smart for him to just sit on the sidelines and go again with a healthy GH next season. Damn... was hoping for that LeBron vs Kyrie matchup too.

Cal827
03-23-2018, 06:39 PM
Celtics without Kyrie are going to get eliminated in the first round. Even if Kyrie is healthy, you would have to think he's going to have to go through a mental battle. His dad was already blaming the Cavs for making him play in the playoffs three years ago. And since Kyrie is heading into a contract year next season, it would be smart for him to just sit on the sidelines and go again with a healthy GH next season. Damn... was hoping for that LeBron vs Kyrie matchup too.

Wasn't he out for the finals that season after he hurt himself? I'm sorry as it's been a while so maybe I don't remember correctly, but it seems kinda weird that he'd play on the knee injury, or be allowed to play on the injury without the team risking lawsuit :laugh2:

I agree with you on him taking the time to get better though. Him and Celtics Don't want to risk losing the position that he/the team is in now for the next couple seasons (They should be the best in the East in the next coming years, and have more picks on the way).

Just hopefully him and Hayward come back at 100% ... Watch the team sign Isiah Thomas to be the combo guard 6th man to help :laugh2:

FlashBolt
03-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Wasn't he out for the finals that season after he hurt himself? I'm sorry as it's been a while so maybe I don't remember correctly, but it seems kinda weird that he'd play on the knee injury, or be allowed to play on the injury without the team risking lawsuit :laugh2:

I agree with you on him taking the time to get better though. Him and Celtics Don't want to risk losing the position that he/the team is in now for the next couple seasons (They should be the best in the East in the next coming years, and have more picks on the way).

Just hopefully him and Hayward come back at 100% ... Watch the team sign Isiah Thomas to be the combo guard 6th man to help :laugh2:

He was dealing with knee issues for much of the season I think. He missed the series vs Atlanta or something for that exact issue.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/05/kyrie_irving_game_2_of_ecf_aga.html

Vee-Rex
03-24-2018, 11:42 AM

He had knee tendonitis that flared up during the Boston sweep in the 1st round. He was ****ed up during the Bulls series and only played like 40 minutes total in the ECF against Atlanta.

There was a long layoff between the conference finals and the finals (I don't know if you guys remember the long wait, but I think it was about a week and a half). He rested during that time and came back only to shatter his knee when he bumped into Klay in OT.

Cal827
03-24-2018, 12:57 PM
^ Ah I see now, thanks for the information Rex and Flashbolt :)

It sucks to see such severe knee issues so early on in his career.. I said before, I just hope it's not another Brandon Roy/Derrick Rose example. I know Roy had degenerative knee issue, but it would be an absolute shame for someone to basically lose their prime years/career, especially when they seem to be able to prove that their they're own man (franchise player) like Irving has been since leaving Cleveland.

warfelg
03-24-2018, 03:25 PM

Cal827
03-24-2018, 03:51 PM
So best result is he's back just as the playoffs start (April 14th?), and the worst result would be that he'd be out for the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

Celticsfan2007
03-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Iíd honestly just rather shut him down and have both him and Hayward back fresh next season

WaDe03
03-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Iíd honestly just rather shut him down and have both him and Hayward back fresh next season

I've talked to multiple Celtics fans that want the same thing.

ewing
03-25-2018, 01:56 PM
I've talked to multiple Celtics fans that want the same thing.

What crappy fans

corky831
03-25-2018, 10:14 PM
The news sucks about Kyrie, but at least the knee is structurally sound and fully healed. This procedure is supposed to take care of any pain he's been dealing with. As for Brown, he played tonight and dropped 19, so he's not out for the year. Another 50 win season for Brad Stevens, he really deserves to be COY with all the injuries he dealt with and still managed to be a 50+ win team and 2 seed in the East. This man needs to get the credit he deserves

PAOboston
03-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Iíd honestly just rather shut him down and have both him and Hayward back fresh next seasonIf the knee us structurally sound, there is no reason he cannot return this year. They said 3-6 weeks. They just need to survive in the meantime. I'll assume they'll have a better sense of how long he will be out after a week or two.

The East is wide open. Cs might be able to survive the first round without Kyrie. They'll need him after though.

hugepatsfan
03-26-2018, 05:09 PM
If Kyrie can play I hope he does. And when I say "can play" I mean without extra risk of ruining the rest of his career.