PDA

View Full Version : Warriors 60-win steak in jeopardy?

JasonJohnHorn
03-20-2018, 05:27 PM
With their recent rash of injuries, the Warriors are short 4 all-star players down the stretch and need seven win in the next 11 games. Four of those games will be against poor teems ATL (1), Sac-town (1), and the Suns (2), so it is likely they can pull those games off, but the rest are agaisnt teams in the hunt for a playoff spot (Utah (2), Indy (2), OKC (1), the Bucks (1), an New Orleans (1)).

Will they be able to pull it off? If they do, will they be able to be the first team with 5 straight 60-win seasons?

Regardless of what happens, what is most impressive is that the Warrios have already secured the winningest 4-season stretch (reg season) in NBA history, so even if they finish 0-11, they'll still hold that record.

warfelg
03-20-2018, 05:37 PM
So they need 7 wins with 11 games left:
ATL, SAC, PHX x 2 would theoretically be 4.
So they need 3 of 7 out of Utah x 2, Indy x 2, OKC, MLK, NO? I think they at least split the games with 2 matchups left. That means 1 win over OKC, MLK, NO.

I think it all comes down to those three, and what they are doing for seeding.

Scoots
03-20-2018, 05:54 PM
So they need 7 wins with 11 games left:
ATL, SAC, PHX x 2 would theoretically be 4.
So they need 3 of 7 out of Utah x 2, Indy x 2, OKC, MLK, NO? I think they at least split the games with 2 matchups left. That means 1 win over OKC, MLK, NO.

I think it all comes down to those three, and what they are doing for seeding.

And who is back when. I think they expect everybody back for the last week of the season and I'm fairly sure they'll want to win those games before the playoffs with the full lineup, so that would include the Jazz and Pels. That may be enough to do it ... but I'm fairly sure they don't care about the number ... much.

warfelg
03-20-2018, 05:57 PM
And who is back when. I think they expect everybody back for the last week of the season and I'm fairly sure they'll want to win those games before the playoffs with the full lineup, so that would include the Jazz and Pels. That may be enough to do it ... but I'm fairly sure they don't care about the number ... much.

Yea that's the 'X-factor' in this. Does Kerr push them to close out strong to get some chemistry back before the playoffs.

Vee-Rex
03-20-2018, 05:59 PM
If you ask me, all the whining about player rest has made things worse.

Because now, teams can easily give MORE rest under the guise of injury.

FlashBolt
03-20-2018, 07:06 PM
If you ask me, all the whining about player rest has made things worse.

Because now, teams can easily give MORE rest under the guise of injury.

Are these team doctors or NBA employed doctors? I'd imagine they are separately employed. NBA needs to handle these injuries. Some of these guys aren't injured at the same time. There is no way.

Scoots
03-20-2018, 07:39 PM
Are these team doctors or NBA employed doctors? I'd imagine they are separately employed. NBA needs to handle these injuries. Some of these guys aren't injured at the same time. There is no way.

Soft tissue injuries are diagnosed mostly by asking the patient. The players can certainly follow team orders in how they answer the question. The NBA definitely doesn't want to get into the business of telling players they have to play ... that's a nightmare they absolutely want to stay away from ... which is why I said the new rest rules were largely pointless.

nastynice
03-20-2018, 07:58 PM
What if we went after this as hard as we went after 73? That wouldn't even make any sense...

tredigs
03-20-2018, 08:30 PM
Doubtful that they care either way. I don't see them winning 7 of their next 11.

FlashBolt
03-20-2018, 08:30 PM
Soft tissue injuries are diagnosed mostly by asking the patient. The players can certainly follow team orders in how they answer the question. The NBA definitely doesn't want to get into the business of telling players they have to play ... that's a nightmare they absolutely want to stay away from ... which is why I said the new rest rules were largely pointless.

I mean, obviously these doctors have to be non-biased and evaluate the players strictly on whether they can play or not. This loophole where they can proclaim an injury based off a play that doesn't seem that serious is pretty discouraging for the league.

JordansBulls
03-20-2018, 09:25 PM
They will concede the Rockets the best record to make an interesting playoffs. Kinda like Lakers vs Sacramento 2002.

MTA12
03-21-2018, 12:15 AM
Doubtful that they care either way. I don't see them winning 7 of their next 11.

They better care. Hustle now so you can cruise vs the Jazz or Nuggets vs. having a first round matchup against a really hungry and capable Timberwolves team with a revitalized Jimmy Buckets.

TylerSL
03-21-2018, 01:00 AM
They will concede the #1 seed to Houston, who will finish with 66 or 67 wins, but yes they will get to 60 wins themselves. I'll say they will finish 61-21

JasonJohnHorn
03-21-2018, 08:23 AM
They will concede the #1 seed to Houston, who will finish with 66 or 67 wins, but yes they will get to 60 wins themselves. I'll say they will finish 61-21

I see the Rockets pealing back a bit... they got HC throughout the playoffs pretty much locked up at this point.

Scoots
03-21-2018, 09:11 AM
I mean, obviously these doctors have to be non-biased and evaluate the players strictly on whether they can play or not. This loophole where they can proclaim an injury based off a play that doesn't seem that serious is pretty discouraging for the league.

It all comes down to if the player feels they can play or not, which means it's all down to what the player says. The NBA definitely doesn't want the possibility of a player later saying "my injury was made worse by the NBA forcing me to play when I was telling them I was hurt".

tredigs
03-21-2018, 12:07 PM
They better care. Hustle now so you can cruise vs the Jazz or Nuggets vs. having a first round matchup against a really hungry and capable Timberwolves team with a revitalized Jimmy Buckets.

This makes no sense. They're locked into the 2 seed no matter who finishes the season. Better to try to get 100%. The lower seedings however are a complete carosel. There is no tellling where they will land.

LOL at Utah being a team to cruise through right now btw. And the Spurs may still add Kawhi. The only easy 1st round matchup right now is if they make into the playoffs without adding him.

smith&wesson
03-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Doesnít matter.. they should be more concerned with getting everyone healthy and reaching the finals. These games down the streatch mean very little. They already know they can win 70+ games when healthy. Nothing to prove there.

IndyRealist
03-21-2018, 01:15 PM
60 or 61 as players trickle back in. I'd be really surprised if they're not at full strength when the playoffs start.

Pain is self reported. There is no test for it, and players can say they're in pain and a doctor just has to accept it.

valade16
03-21-2018, 02:49 PM
This makes no sense. They're locked into the 2 seed no matter who finishes the season. Better to try to get 100%. The lower seedings however are a complete carosel. There is no tellling where they will land.

LOL at Utah being a team to cruise through right now btw. And the Spurs may still add Kawhi. The only easy 1st round matchup right now is if they make into the playoffs without adding him.

Currently the standings are:

Blazers
Thunder
Spurs
Pelicans
Timberwolves
Jazz

And it is entirely possible that the final standings are:

Jazz
Timberwolves
Pelicans
Spurs
Thunder
Blazers

There is no possible way to try to manipulate the standings to get a favorable matchup in the first round at this point because everything could change drastically week to week.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2018, 03:38 PM
they prolly get it anyways. When you have a roster of stars who have been playing 100 games a year, you tend to stop really caring about the regular season as anything more than keeping your team fresh and healthy.

GS will show us who they are in about a month. Don't worry guys