PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Kawhi coming back Thursday

mrblisterdundee
03-11-2018, 11:57 AM
We could see Kawhi Leonard play basketball for the Spurs this week:

The plan for Leonard to return is barring a setback from a right quad injury, sources told ESPN. He said earlier this week that he planned to return "soon" from the injury, which has kept him out of all but nine games so far this season.
- ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22717386/kawhi-leonard-available-san-antonio-spurs-early-thursday-new-orleans-pelicans)
What do you think this does for the Spurs? If Kawhi works and plays himself into shape by the playoffs, is San Antonio a threat?

Giannis94
03-11-2018, 12:03 PM
If he comes back to 80% they can can take down the Rockets rather easily. Stick him on Harden and let the rest of the spurs eat the rockets alive.

Also like Portlands chances vs. the dubs. Wouldn't be shocked to see SAS vs. POR in the WC Finals . Don't @ me.

:around-the-world::around-the-world::around-the-world::around-the-world::around-the-world::around-the-world::horse::horse::horse::horse::pumping-iron::pumping-iron::pumping-iron:

mightybosstone
03-11-2018, 12:09 PM
If he comes back to 80% they can can take down the Rockets rather easily. Stick him on Harden and let the rest of the spurs eat the rockets alive.

Also like Portlands chances vs. the dubs. Wouldn't be shocked to see SAS vs. POR in the WC Finals . Don't @ me.

:around-the-world::around-the-world::around-the-world::around-the-world::around-the-world::around-the-world::horse::horse::horse::horse::pumping-iron::pumping-iron::pumping-iron:

This is moronic. The Rockets played the Spurs with Kawhi earlier this season and kicked the crap out of them. The series was insanely close last season with essentially the same Spurs roster and an inferior Houston roster. To assume they would "take down the Rockets rather easily" is ignorant and insulting. Could the Spurs win? Sure. But they shouldn't be favored in that series, and if they did win, it would go to at least 6-7 games.

Also, regarding Portland and the Warriors, did you forget how that played out last season? Or is your short-term memory really that bad?

Scoots
03-11-2018, 12:17 PM
This is moronic. The Rockets played the Spurs with Kawhi earlier this season and kicked the crap out of them. The series was insanely close last season with essentially the same Spurs roster and an inferior Houston roster. To assume they would "take down the Rockets rather easily" is ignorant and insulting. Could the Spurs win? Sure. But they shouldn't be favored in that series, and if they did win, it would go to at least 6-7 games.

Also, regarding Portland and the Warriors, did you forget how that played out last season? Or is your short-term memory really that bad?

You don't need to respond to trolling.

Giannis94
03-11-2018, 12:26 PM

On second thought, it might be a closer series than I thought. I'd say Rocks and Dubs in 6 probably. I was giving Kawhi too much credit.

valade16
03-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Don't let the Blazers two game winning streak vs the Dubs fool you, they don't stand a chance vs a healthy Warriors in a 7 game series.

tp13baby
03-11-2018, 01:35 PM

This is how I know you donít watch west basketball. Houston will dominate Spurs with or without Leonard. The guard play is night vs day between the 2 teams. The spurs are too old and slow for the Rockets.

Portland stands no chance vs GS I donít even know how you think that

kdspurman
03-11-2018, 01:53 PM

In fairness, kicking the crap out of a Spurs team with a hobbled Kawhi (on a minutes restriction) while trying to gain some chemistry as a team due to a bunch of other injuries/returns is nowhere near the same as a potentially healthy Kawhi with an in sync unit.

Giannis94
03-11-2018, 02:25 PM
This is how I know you donít watch west basketball. Houston will dominate Spurs with or without Leonard. The guard play is night vs day between the 2 teams. The spurs are too old and slow for the Rockets.

Portland stands no chance vs GS I donít even know how you think that

Lillard and cj will give gsw problems. They can out up 90 vs gsw themselves. I tend to agree with you on Houston.

I retract that statement.

TrueFan420
03-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Lillard and cj will give gsw problems. They can out up 90 vs gsw themselves. I tend to agree with you on Houston.

I retract that statement.

They can put up 90 but if no one else on their squad can score they won't win cause Steph and KD can both drop that as well (more efficiently too) . O and so can Klay. And Draymond if you forget had a hell of a series against them 2 years ago when Curry was out injured. He stepped up offensive big time. The Blazers can steal a game maybe 2 but they won't really push the warriors. Only the Rockets and a healthy Spurs can do that in the west.

Heediot
03-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Rox are improved for sure. BUt with Harden and Cp's teams' track record in the playoffs, being skeptical isn't wrong in this circumstance.

Sixers3Fan
03-11-2018, 04:08 PM

Not a chance Portland goes to the WCF. You take them away from home they are lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giannis94
03-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Not a chance Portland goes to the WCF. You take them away from home they are lost.

So you're saying at minimum they'll force a game 7?

Sixers3Fan
03-11-2018, 05:33 PM
So you're saying at minimum they'll force a game 7?

As of now they are the 3 seed and will be playing the T-wolves. Lillard can only do so much. Yea I guess you can say the Wolves can force a game 7 if the Blazers take care of business and win on the road.

LOb0
03-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Rockets better avoid SA at all costs come PO time. They don't want any of that match up.

mrblisterdundee
03-11-2018, 09:39 PM
Rockets better avoid SA at all costs come PO time. They don't want any of that match up.

I can definitely see Kawhi and Murray terrorizing Harden and Paul, while LaMarcus goes off for over 40 a game on almost all fadeaway jumpers and Pau gets nearly a triple double.

brandt
03-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Rockets better avoid SA at all costs come PO time. They don't want any of that match up.. They want nothing MORE than that match up with or without kawhi, because they will slaughter them!

brandt
03-11-2018, 11:50 PM
I can definitely see Kawhi and Murray terrorizing Harden and Paul, while LaMarcus goes off for over 40 a game on almost all fadeaway jumpers and Pau gets nearly a triple double.
Not gonna happen! Where could you see this happening? In your wet dreams?

Giannis94
03-12-2018, 12:12 AM

It's okay To have wet dreams about professional athletes all sweaty and getting all physical. I would make a Jason Collins shout out but I figured I'd probably get a ban. So I'm just saying heyyyy now!

Driven
03-12-2018, 12:12 AM
I donít think the spurs will be a threat, anymore than some of the other western conference playoff teams. I donít think Iíd really want to the play the likes of the nuggets or thunder either.

I think kawhi locks them into the playoffs though, and I think the pelicans are about to start falling out of the race.

FlashBolt
03-12-2018, 01:35 PM
You guys are seriously underrating how great Kawhi is... I don't think he needs much time to get back into shape. It was probably all mental for Kawhi in understanding whether or not the injury would prevent him from getting a super max contract. Kawhi last season was a top five player who looked to be cracking ahead of KD... If not for Zaza, I believe Kawhi would have been the MVP this season. He's easily the best two-way player in the game and was only getting better. Rudy+Gasol+Kawhi need to get back ASAP and Spurs will still be a top five team in the NBA. But if Kawhi is not ready, Spurs are hopeless.

Htownballa1622
03-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Good for him to come back. Hoping he's healthy.

On another note, Spurs, even with a healthy Kawhi, does nothing to scare me in a matchup with Houston.

Bring them on. :box:

WaDe03
03-12-2018, 02:47 PM
It's okay To have wet dreams about professional athletes all sweaty and getting all physical. I would make a Jason Collins shout out but I figured I'd probably get a ban. So I'm just saying heyyyy now!

Do you have wet dreams about me and MTM?

kdspurman
03-12-2018, 02:55 PM
You guys are seriously underrating how great Kawhi is... I don't think he needs much time to get back into shape. It was probably all mental for Kawhi in understanding whether or not the injury would prevent him from getting a super max contract. Kawhi last season was a top five player who looked to be cracking ahead of KD... If not for Zaza, I believe Kawhi would have been the MVP this season. He's easily the best two-way player in the game and was only getting better. Rudy+Gasol+Kawhi need to get back ASAP and Spurs will still be a top five team in the NBA. But if Kawhi is not ready, Spurs are hopeless.

We could have a WCF rematch in the first round

nastynice
03-12-2018, 03:02 PM
rockets better avoid sa at all costs come po time. They don't want any of that match up.

x2

tp13baby
03-12-2018, 03:03 PM
They needed him because their remaining schedule is brutal. 12 out of the 14 remaining are against playoff contenders, they don't have the tie breaker against Utah, currently .5 game tiebreaker lead on Denver with 4 division games vs the Pelicans and Rockets. That can change. Do own the tiebreaker on LAC no matter what. Tonight if they lose, they are in a 4 way tiebreaker for the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th place.

The Wild West.

Chronz
03-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Lol. The rockets would destroy last years spurs, this weaker version of that squad has zero chance. Pop has nightmares of cp3

FlashBolt
03-12-2018, 03:21 PM
We could have a WCF rematch in the first round

Don't tease Zaza like that...

mrblisterdundee
03-13-2018, 02:26 PM

Kawhi and Murray are one of the best duos you can hope for to defend Harden and Paul. And there's nobody on the Rockets capable of preventing LaMarcus from getting clean fadeaways off. And playoff Pau would still do it all. I still think Houston would win, but that doesn't mean San Antonio can't be a menace.

FlashBolt
03-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Yes, they could be a menace, but several people on this thread act like they will kill the Rockets once he comes back. Rockets are a different team this year.

I feel like every team will be different once the playoffs roll. Right now, every reg season is adjusting to lineups, trades, injuries, etc., Once the playoffs start and they know who they are playing, it should be more clear. Playoffs, everyone starts 0-0. I still think Spurs have time but you're right.. Rockets are a different animal.

brandt
03-13-2018, 08:46 PM
Kawhi and Murray are one of the best duos you can hope for to defend Harden and Paul. And there's nobody on the Rockets capable of preventing LaMarcus from getting clean fadeaways off. And playoff Pau would still do it all. I still think Houston would win, but that doesn't mean San Antonio can't be a menace.

Yes, they could be a menace, but several people on this thread act like they will kill the Rockets once he comes back. Rockets are a different team this year.

LaVar Ball
03-14-2018, 03:11 AM
The Spurs are done. Time for Pop to retire.

tredigs
03-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Bump: It gets more interesting ...

The conversation was described as tense and emotional at times. Several teammates spoke up, expressing frustration and confusion over a growing divide that has created significant tension between Leonard and the Spurs.

"He is not coming back," Ginobili said Wednesday. "For me, he's not coming back because it's not helping [to think Leonard is returning]. We fell for it a week ago again. I guess you guys made us fall for it. But we have to think that he's not coming back, that we are who we are, and that we got to fight without him. That shouldn't be changing, at least until he is ready for the jump ball."
Leonard resumed working out in San Antonio on Feb. 27, and sources have raved about the intensity of his workouts.

One source described a workout earlier this week in which Leonard held a 25-pound heavy ball in both hands, jumping off both feet as high as possible, before throwing the ball back toward the free-throw line.

This report elicited this response from Danny Green:

Manu's response in there was particularly interesting. This whole situation continues to be super strange.

FlashBolt
03-22-2018, 01:47 PM
I think this is all a lie and Pop just wants to rest Kawhi and not get penalized or something.. how is this much news coming out from such a professional organization? And I can't imagine Manu or the rest of the players doing any of this and releasing all the info. Idk, I just find it difficult to believe that there is this much turmoil from an organization that had none for over two decades.

WaDe03
03-22-2018, 01:50 PM
It's true.

tredigs
03-22-2018, 02:01 PM
I think this is all a lie and Pop just wants to rest Kawhi and not get penalized or something.. how is this much news coming out from such a professional organization? And I can't imagine Manu or the rest of the players doing any of this and releasing all the info. Idk, I just find it difficult to believe that there is this much turmoil from an organization that had none for over two decades.
Lol well, Pop does not want to rest his superstar for the season (we're down to 10 games). That much I can assure you.

Even great organizations have to deal with tough situations from time to time. There's no debate whether or not this meeting occurred, but a Spurs beat reporter came out and said Kawhi was caught off guard, but it was not contentious (that was probably what Danny Green was alluding to).

Who knows, though. Either way it's a **** situation for the Spurs.

WaDe03
03-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Kawhi will be in either Miami or Boston next season, you heard it here first.

Chronz
03-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Kawhi to the clippers for avery Bradley. Or DJ

WaDe03
03-22-2018, 02:20 PM

Clippers wouldn't do that.

FlashBolt
03-22-2018, 02:25 PM

lmao. why not throw Doc in for Pop? and let's switch their NBA history as well. Tim Duncan is a Clippers and Elton Brand is a Spurs

Jamiecballer
03-22-2018, 04:03 PM
I reiterate my earlier guess. Leonard for Ball will be the basis of some sort of transaction

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Vinylman
03-23-2018, 09:48 AM
I reiterate my earlier guess. Leonard for Ball will be the basis of some sort of transaction

I hope... the Lakers will have to give up a lot more than that but a pairing of him and PG13 would be nice

warfelg
03-23-2018, 09:50 AM
I heard something interesting regarding this, that apparently there was some friction between Kawhi and LaMarcus last season, and in the offseason LMA was close to traded Kawhi basically said "**** you" to LMA on the way out. Of course that trade never ended up happening, but what I was told was Kawhi is trying to actively avoid playing with LMA.

He wouldn't say what the beef was over (indicated it was away from the court) but it sounds highly unlikely these two play on the same team again.

Vee-Rex
03-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Easy. Kawhi to the Lakers to join LeBron, Westbrook, Paul George, and Demarcus Cousins.

Westbrook/Ball
George
Leonard
James
Cousins

Vinylman
03-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Easy. Kawhi to the Lakers to join LeBron, Westbrook, Paul George, and Demarcus Cousins.

Westbrook/Ball
George
Leonard
James
Cousins

actually it is pretty easy

CP3 for the minimum
PG13
Lebron for the minimum
Leonard via a swap of Ball/Ingram
Jordan for the minimum

add 4-5 3-D guys on sweetheart deals and the League will be righted once again

Oh yeah... we will sign klay next offseason to come off the bench... for the minimum of course

FlashBolt
03-23-2018, 11:36 AM
I heard something interesting regarding this, that apparently there was some friction between Kawhi and LaMarcus last season, and in the offseason LMA was close to traded Kawhi basically said "**** you" to LMA on the way out. Of course that trade never ended up happening, but what I was told was Kawhi is trying to actively avoid playing with LMA.

He wouldn't say what the beef was over (indicated it was away from the court) but it sounds highly unlikely these two play on the same team again.

Makes you appreciate Tim so much. We will never see a player who is as quiet both on/off the court and legitimately never complained. This is terrible on Kawhi's image. As great as he is, his reputation does not put him above Pop/Manu/TP. Those three run the show - not Kawhi.

LeonFSU
03-23-2018, 12:58 PM

Seems highly unlikely considering (1) the Spurs gave Aldridge an extension before the season started and (2) their plan has almost certainly always been to offer Leonard a contract this summer.

FlashBolt
03-23-2018, 01:01 PM
LMA also had a problem with Lillard in Portland.. Is this guy secretly a locker room problem?

Shammyguy3
03-23-2018, 01:27 PM
New hope: Bulls trade both of their 1st round picks this year for Kawhi

valade16
03-23-2018, 01:34 PM
LMA also had a problem with Lillard in Portland.. Is this guy secretly a locker room problem?

He was described as Mercurial in Portland. From what I can surmise based on rumors, his problem is that he is very closed off and slow to trust and very quiet and not a very vocal leader, but at the same time he was mad that Portland embraced Roy and Lillard as the face over him. But if you are quiet and shun the limelight and they are boisterous and embrace it, who do you think the city is going to get behind?

Leftcoast_yg
03-23-2018, 01:46 PM

Brandon Roy as well, he was too quiet and kept to himself. On a team that's not a good thing.

IKnowHoops
03-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Yeah, if Bron ends up there next season then this was to protect that scenario. If Kawaii gets hurt then Bron donít come. Bron and Kawaii surpass Jordan/Pippen. Would be a nasty tandem, with pop as the coach...ick

IndyRealist
03-23-2018, 03:21 PM
I see no way Kawhi gets traded unless he asked to be.

Jamiecballer
03-23-2018, 03:38 PM
I see no way Kawhi gets traded unless he asked to be.Would you be surprised in any way if he did

warfelg
03-23-2018, 03:42 PM
I haven't heard of any rift b/w Kawhi/LMA at all. I still expect them to play on the same team again honestly.

Curious where you may have heard that tho? All the insiders close to the team haven't mentioned anything of the sort. Kawhi usually sits right behind him now on the bench and usually seems supportive and cordial. And that's a lot for a guy with few emotions

I got a family friend who I trust with stuff. He said there's a few things floating out there, but something happened that caused this and it's likely someone that's 'important' isn't back.

kdspurman
03-23-2018, 03:44 PM

I haven't heard of any rift b/w Kawhi/LMA at all. I still expect them to play on the same team again honestly.

Curious where you may have heard that tho? All the insiders close to the team haven't mentioned anything of the sort. Kawhi usually sits right behind him now on the bench and usually seems supportive and cordial. And that's a lot for a guy with few emotions

kdspurman
03-23-2018, 03:46 PM
lmao. why not throw Doc in for Pop? and let's switch their NBA history as well. Tim Duncan is a Clippers and Elton Brand is a Spurs

Should we throw in Aldridge and bring Boban back too while we're at it?

WaDe03
03-23-2018, 04:09 PM
Yea there's definitely beef going on. Tony Parker just said he didn't mess around with his quad injury and that it was 100 times worse than Kawhis.

WaDe03
03-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Dragic and Bam for Kawhi

FlashBolt
03-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Yea there's definitely beef going on. Tony Parker just said he didn't mess around with his quad injury and that it was 100 times worse than Kawhis.

Wow, his teammates have given up on him at this point. That is sad. For TP and Manu to have to speak up about this at all is quite alarming. Kawhi is one of my fave players to watch but we will need to hear his side of this. I feel like he just doesn't care. It's March, your team is in the playoffs currently. Dude, get on the floor already.. his teammates have probably seen and heard enough that he can play so that's probably why they are pressuring him to do so. And this is probably Manu's last season.

WaDe03
03-23-2018, 04:16 PM
I think he's being over cautious like Rose was in Chicago when he wouldn't play in the playoffs and they got smacked by the Heat. He came back once already and it didn't workout so now he's scared.

Also, I thought he was out this time for a shoulder injury and not the quad?

kdspurman
03-23-2018, 04:37 PM

Wow, his teammates have given up on him at this point. That is sad. For TP and Manu to have to speak up about this at all is quite alarming. Kawhi is one of my fave players to watch but we will need to hear his side of this. I feel like he just doesn't care. It's March, your team is in the playoffs currently. Dude, get on the floor already.. his teammates have probably seen and heard enough that he can play so that's probably why they are pressuring him to do so. And this is probably Manu's last season.

Gotta be careful with the quotes that are pulled from interviews, they can be taken out of context.

You can hear TP's interview, it's nowhere near as harsh as it was made to be from those quotes. There didn't seem to be any animosity or anger. TP is just usually a pretty straightforward guy. But

http://www.nba.com/spurs/

Also, TP is at the end of his career, whereas Kawhi is in the prime of his career. So if TP feels even something slightly off at this time, he doesn't have to worry as much about his future. Not to say he doesn't care, he does want to play a couple more years, but very different scenarios.

R. Johnson#3
03-23-2018, 04:48 PM
Kawhi caught DRose syndrome.

MTA12
03-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Are they forcing him to come back prematurely? It didn't look like he was comfortable playing this season. I hope this doesn't hurt his career.

ewing
03-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Gotta be careful with the quotes that are pulled from interviews, they can be taken out of context.

You can hear TP's interview, it's nowhere near as harsh as it was made to be from those quotes. There didn't seem to be any animosity or anger. TP is just usually a pretty straightforward guy. But

http://www.nba.com/spurs/

Also, TP is at the end of his career, whereas Kawhi is in the prime of his career. So if TP feels even something slightly off at this time, he doesn't have to worry as much about his future. Not to say he doesn't care, he does want to play a couple more years, but very different scenarios.

I know these young guys are living paycheck to paycheck [emoji3]

ewing
03-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Sorry