PDA

View Full Version : Marc Jackson, Jason Kidd, others linked to Knicks job

Giannis94
03-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Thoughts? I think it could be uhhhmazing if it happened.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=503727

Jeff Hornacek has done himself no favors with another subpar season as head coach of the New York Knicks, and rumors about who might replace him if he is fired are already heating up.

Al Iannazzone of Newsday reported on Tuesday that though Hornacek has said he fully expects to be back next season, management has made no public indications about his job security. Instead, they say that they will evaluate everything after the season. Iannazzone also shares a list of names who have been linked to the Knicks coaching job ó a list that includes Mark Jackson, Jason Kidd, David Fizdale, Jerry Stackhouse, Doc Rivers, and Chauncey Billups.

Of those names, Fizdale and Rivers (who is obviously still employed by the LA Clippers) are probably the only ones who are both experienced and fairly well-respected. Itís also worth noting that four of those candidates (Rivers, Jackson, Kidd, and Billups) are former Knicks players.

Of course, the Knicks may ultimately choose to give Hornacek some leeway considering the young, mismatched roster he is working with, on top of the loss of franchise cornerstone Kristaps Porzingis to a torn ACL. But a 24-40 record this year (including 12 losses in their last 13 games) is tough to swallow no matter what, and the Knicks arenít exactly known for having low turnover.

Filed Under:Basketball

IndyRealist
03-07-2018, 01:39 PM
It's not even news, just conjecture. The job's not even open yet.

Giannis94
03-07-2018, 01:47 PM

Bruh it was on the PSD homepage.

TrueFan420
03-07-2018, 02:37 PM

This is what passes for News nowadays...

Bruh it was on the PSD homepage.
The article is 100% conjecture. There isn't even a reference to a source.

GiantsSwaGG
03-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Close this thread plz :facepalm:

More-Than-Most
03-07-2018, 04:25 PM
can i seriously ask something... why do people enter a thread and ***** about said thread when they can just not post and let the thread die? always wondered this.

Driven
03-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Former Warriors Center Marc Jackson would be a horrible head coach IMO

ewing
03-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Former Warriors Center Marc Jackson would be a horrible head coach IMO

Why? seemed like a heady player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
03-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Has Hubie Brown been mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoots
03-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Jackson, Rivers, Kidd ... what a nightmare list to choose from.

GiantsSwaGG
03-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Jackson, Rivers, Kidd ... what a nightmare list to choose from.

:laugh: exactly

COOLbeans
03-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Mark Jackson was a masterful coach for the Warriors. Sure he had some shortcomings, but he also was a huge positive for he careers of Draymond, Curry and Thompson. He coached those guys to champisonhsip type players and once the offensive system was implemented by Gentry and Kerr, the Warriors took off.

JAckson would be a hell of a coach for the young Knicks

WaDe03
03-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Mark Jackson was a masterful coach for the Warriors. Sure he had some shortcomings, but he also was a huge positive for he careers of Draymond, Curry and Thompson. He coached those guys to champisonhsip type players and once the offensive system was implemented by Gentry and Kerr, the Warriors took off.

This, he started the Warriors but gets no credit.

COOLbeans
03-07-2018, 09:05 PM
This, he started the Warriors but gets no credit.

All his ESPN homies give him credit. But some people in here donít give that any credence since they work on the same network. Those guys in all respects know a lot about basketball and all of them (including the tnt) guys seem to think he was underrated and deserves another shot to coach

TrueFan420
03-07-2018, 09:19 PM
can i seriously ask something... why do people enter a thread and ***** about said thread when they can just not post and let the thread die? always wondered this.
I cant speak for everyone and I usually do ignore them but this is disinformation. We have enough of that in the world and I don't like when people add to it, no matter the subject material.

Giannis94
03-07-2018, 09:33 PM

Do you (or anyone else) think that Jackson just got them at too young of an age? Where maybe they were just naturally developing and I know curry had ankle problems. But natural development is an important factor. I have no idea if curry dray and Klaus were raw and needed time or what.

HeartOfStarks
03-07-2018, 09:45 PM
All his ESPN homies give him credit. But some people in here donít give that any credence since they work on the same network. Those guys in all respects know a lot about basketball and all of them (including the tnt) guys seem to think he was underrated and deserves another shot to coach

I mean honestly I think I'd take him over Hornacek at this point. I don't have much faith in Hornacek personally.

WaDe03
03-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Do you (or anyone else) think that Jackson just got them at too young of an age? Where maybe they were just naturally developing and I know curry had ankle problems. But natural development is an important factor. I have no idea if curry dray and Klaus were raw and needed time or what.

Yes, that's exactly what it was. Guys we're still figuring themselves out and improving.

JasonJohnHorn
03-07-2018, 10:25 PM

There are a lot of people on this forum (an increasing percentage as the number of quality posters decreases and these guys hang around) who just come on here to complain and troll people. They add no substance to the conversation, and just throw insults.

That said, to come onto a thread and being legitimately interested in it, and then get disapointed when you realize the link offers no substance and is purely conjecture is a reasonable response, and it is therefore reasonable to point that out in said thread.

Now, if somebody posted a thread about what Lavar Ball recently said about LeBrn James, and then somebody enters to say "Who care what Lavar Ball says", then yeah... that person shouldn't bother.

Scoots
03-08-2018, 12:18 AM

No. Jackson was a nightmare of an offensive coach, he didn't have the time commitment needed, he was terrible with subordinates and his pride kept him from improving his staff. He DESERVES the credit for building the confidence of the young players and for preaching defense (which, in my opinion, was planned and implemented by an assistant, not Jackson) ... Jackson is a good motivator and little else. Jackson deserves some credit for the Warriors current team probably a little less than Bob McKillop does. The reason he hasn't even had an interview to coach another team since then is because all of the GMs and owners in the NBA know the negatives and clearly don't seem to think he's learned the lessons needed ... despite that Jackson is always working to get himself into the conversation whenever a coaching vacancy is possibly coming.

On top of all that I don't think he's a good person.

Scoots
03-08-2018, 12:20 AM
There are a lot of people on this forum (an increasing percentage as the number of quality posters decreases and these guys hang around) who just come on here to complain and troll people. They add no substance to the conversation, and just throw insults.

That said, to come onto a thread and being legitimately interested in it, and then get disapointed when you realize the link offers no substance and is purely conjecture is a reasonable response, and it is therefore reasonable to point that out in said thread.

Now, if somebody posted a thread about what Lavar Ball recently said about LeBrn James, and then somebody enters to say "Who care what Lavar Ball says", then yeah... that person shouldn't bother.

Totally off topic, but when my phone says someone has a question about such and such a business and they ask something like "Do they have a discount for seniors?" and 3 people answer "Call them" ... I really wonder if death is too good for them. If you can't add anything to a question asked in the question forum then don't post an answer!!!

Back to your regularly scheduled kvetching.

Allphakenny1
03-08-2018, 12:50 AM

Yes, that's exactly what it was. Guys we're still figuring themselves out and improving.

Well let me ask you this, do you think the Warriors would be better or even developed into this current team focusing mainly on iso offense? Or do you think they are better with the constant ball movement and finding the open shot? Jackson's offense was find the mismatch and iso the hell out of it. With a team full of ball handlers and elite passers, Kerr just allowed them to do what they do naturally and find the open man for the easy shot.

The Warriors took what the Spurs did to embarrass the Heat and took it to extreme and much higher levels. Jackson's offense would have never won an championship, and even more, would have never attracted Durant. The Warriors may be the best passing team of all time. Take that away from them and they do not turn into the dynasty they are/or are about to become today.

JasonJohnHorn
03-08-2018, 01:05 AM
No. Jackson was a nightmare of an offensive coach, he didn't have the time commitment needed, he was terrible with subordinates and his pride kept him from improving his staff. He DESERVES the credit for building the confidence of the young players and for preaching defense (which, in my opinion, was planned and implemented by an assistant, not Jackson) ... Jackson is a good motivator and little else. Jackson deserves some credit for the Warriors current team probably a little less than Bob McKillop does. The reason he hasn't even had an interview to coach another team since then is because all of the GMs and owners in the NBA know the negatives and clearly don't seem to think he's learned the lessons needed ... despite that Jackson is always working to get himself into the conversation whenever a coaching vacancy is possibly coming.

On top of all that I don't think he's a good person.

I was initially a big defender of Jackson, but I've really come around to the idea that he was holding them back. Yes, they did develop under him, and he did a lot of good things, but he was old school. He played next t Ewing and saw how effective post scoring was, and so, he leaned heavily on Lee, despite his defensive short comings. Maybe the Lee injury was a blessing in disguise for Kerr, or maybe Kerr would he been giving Green more minutes because of his defense, but either way, moving away from a regular rotation of post plays and iso plays for Curry and to a fluid passing system was so good for this team, and I don't think it was something Jackson would have done.

Jackson's style would be a good fit for certain teams, especially developing teams, but for the Warriors, Kerr was the perfect fit.

That said, what I've heard about the head games Jackson played with some players makes him seem quite unprofessional (if they are true), and assuming they are true, I wouldn't hire him for any position.

Scoots
03-08-2018, 02:14 AM
That said, what I've heard about the head games Jackson played with some players makes him seem quite unprofessional (if they are true), and assuming they are true, I wouldn't hire him for any position.

Jackson was told by the owner that he could spend ANY amount to build the best staff in the NBA in his last year ... he hired nobody.

Jackson told Jerry West and other old NBA guys around the team that they were excluded from attending practice.

I think Jackson's ego is what did him in.

More-Than-Most
03-08-2018, 02:40 AM
TBH i am starting to think Jason kidd got an unfair shake in a terrible situation the way the bucks are playing without him :shrug:

FlashBolt
03-08-2018, 02:58 AM
Marc Jackson's name will always come up.. the fact the guy has still not gotten a coaching gig yet tells me that there are other issues other than coaching. Jason Kidd is a great teammate but his coaching has been really poor. When I saw him tell his players to fake a water spillage accident so they could get more time, I knew he wasn't going to be a great coach.

Sadly, the amount of available quality coaches is really low and with management ready to fire anyone who doesn't win X amount of games when the team is poorly constructed, there are not many options. People just love to blame the coach but the players are never at fault when they just stuff the boxscore.

Scoots
03-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Marc Jackson's name will always come up.. the fact the guy has still not gotten a coaching gig yet tells me that there are other issues other than coaching. Jason Kidd is a great teammate but his coaching has been really poor. When I saw him tell his players to fake a water spillage accident so they could get more time, I knew he wasn't going to be a great coach.

Sadly, the amount of available quality coaches is really low and with management ready to fire anyone who doesn't win X amount of games when the team is poorly constructed, there are not many options. People just love to blame the coach but the players are never at fault when they just stuff the boxscore.

I'm generally reticent to straight criticize a coach because on TV you often can't really tell what he's telling the players to do. Players sometimes (often?) just don't listen. That said, sometimes it becomes obvious who can and who can't really coach.

COOLbeans
03-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Any Warrior fan who hates Mark Jackson simply cannot see the truth. Though the malcontents are far and few between, itís quite sad to read their disloyalty to the Warriors franchisee by disparaging an all time Warrior great coach. He was a large part of what brought the Warriors out of the duldrums of ruinous seasons year after year. Mark Jackson should be revered by all dubs fans but sadly his legacy has been diminished by a so-called mediocre offense.

Dude was an a awesome mentor, motivator and defensive guru. This cannot be denied, not even by the most loyal psd Warrior posters

COOLbeans
03-08-2018, 08:58 PM
TBH i am starting to think Jason kidd got an unfair shake in a terrible situation the way the bucks are playing without him :shrug:

Totally agree. It was a blindside from my vantage point as a fan, and apparently from Kidds as well

SfgiantsJD3
03-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Any Warrior fan who hates Mark Jackson simply cannot see the truth. Though the malcontents are far and few between, itís quite sad to read their disloyalty to the Warriors franchisee by disparaging an all time Warrior great coach. He was a large part of what brought the Warriors out of the duldrums of ruinous seasons year after year. Mark Jackson should be revered by all dubs fans but sadly his legacy has been diminished by a so-called mediocre offense.

Dude was an a awesome mentor, motivator and defensive guru. This cannot be denied, not even by the most loyal psd Warrior posters

Jackson's problem was he couldn't take the team to the next level, he needed help and didn't unitize the help management offered.

Not that I saw his but Jerry West was really one of the key contributors to how the Warriors got to where they are.

I liked Mark Jackson better as a coach than I do as an announcer.

The Warriors got lucky when they snared Kerr from the Knicks and Kerr got lucky he didn't end up in NY.

Giannis94
03-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Well let me ask you this, do you think the Warriors would be better or even developed into this current team focusing mainly on iso offense? Or do you think they are better with the constant ball movement and finding the open shot? Jackson's offense was find the mismatch and iso the hell out of it. With a team full of ball handlers and elite passers, Kerr just allowed them to do what they do naturally and find the open man for the easy shot.

The Warriors took what the Spurs did to embarrass the Heat and took it to extreme and much higher levels. Jackson's offense would have never won an championship, and even more, would have never attracted Durant. The Warriors may be the best passing team of all time. Take that away from them and they do not turn into the dynasty they are/or are about to become today.
I had no idea. Which is y I was askin.....

Scoots
03-09-2018, 12:36 AM
There are a few Warriors fans who seem to worship Jackson. Others are realists who see what positives he brought to the team and what he didn't.