PDA

View Full Version : Who are you top 10 for the MVP in order and why

More-Than-Most
03-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Go.

Sixers3Fan
03-04-2018, 01:35 PM
I don't want this to turn into why Simmons or Embiid should win it.

But if I had to choose it will be between Harden and Irving with Harden leading at this point.

GREATNESS ONE
03-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Gotta give some love to AD.

More-Than-Most
03-04-2018, 02:02 PM
I don't want this to turn into why Simmons or Embiid should win it.

But if I had to choose it will be between Harden and Irving with Harden leading at this point.

I think harden is the clear cut winner but 2-10 is pretty open... i wouldnt have simmons in my top 10... embiid yes but simmons no... if we get a top 4 seed embiid would be top 3 but 1 and 2 are pretty locked up.

Sixers3Fan
03-04-2018, 02:05 PM
I think harden is the clear cut winner but 2-10 is pretty open... i wouldnt have simmons in my top 10... embiid yes but simmons no... if we get a top 4 seed embiid would be top 3 but 1 and 2 are pretty locked up.

You just said 2-10 are pretty open. Assuming after Harden it's an open debate. Then you said 1 and 2 are pretty locked up. Might have read it wrong but you were talking about the 1 and 2 seeds? toronto and boston?

TheDish87
03-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Harden

Davis
Irving

Butler (i know he might be done now but at this moment for now)
Embiid

Cal827
03-04-2018, 06:38 PM
1. James Harden
2. James Harden again
3. James Harden's Beard
4. James Harden's Flops
5. Mightybostone's anger for the previous answer.

It's pretty much assured that James wins it. He's be nothing short of phenomenal and is currently leading the best team in the League. He's had two MVP worthy years not result in an MVP trophy due to to insane seasons by Curry and Westbrook. He's probably the best (offensive) player in the game, and his team is somehow competing with the stacked Warriors team for best in the conference/League

Others:

2. Anthony Davis
3. Giannis
4. Durant
5. Curry
6. Embiid
8. Liliard
9. Lebron
10. Irving/Derozan

mightybosstone
03-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Ten spots in an MVP race is a lot of spots to fill, but off the top of my head, it would look something like:

1. Harden
2. Davis
3. Giannis
4. Kyrie
5. Lebron
6. Durant
7. Curry
8. Lillard
9. DeRozan
10. Aldridge / Jokic / Embiid

Edit: Forgot Embiid. After the top 7, it's too hard to really pick a definitive 8-10.

tp13baby
03-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Ten spots in an MVP race is a lot of spots to fill, but off the top of my head, it would look something like:

1. Harden
2. Davis
3. Giannis
4. Kyrie
5. Lebron
6. Durant
7. Curry
8. Lillard
9. DeRozan
10. Aldridge / Jokic

This minus Jokic. Harris has been better this year.

mightybosstone
03-04-2018, 06:54 PM
This minus Jokic. Harris has been better this year.

I don't watch a ton of Nuggets games, and you being a Nuggets fan, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But pretty much any Denver game I've caught this year, I've felt like Jokic has had the greater impact, and statistically, he's been the far more impactful player. But I would not put Harris anywhere close to my top 10 MVP voting.

PAOboston
03-04-2018, 07:43 PM
I see KD/Curry listed a couple of times. I can somewhat rationalize Curry but is KD reaaaally having an MVP caliber year?

I have a hard time putting any of the GS guys in the MVP race with the obscene amount of talent they have on the team.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
03-04-2018, 09:03 PM
I see KD/Curry listed a couple of times. I can somewhat rationalize Curry but is KD reaaaally having an MVP caliber year?

I have a hard time putting any of the GS guys in the MVP race with the obscene amount of talent they have on the team.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

KD statistically is having a slightly better year than curry and he defends. Advanced stats probably give curry the nudge but durant actually played without curry for 13 games where curry has had the benefit of klay/durant/green almost everytime he plays.

More-Than-Most
03-04-2018, 09:07 PM
CP3 #1 in RPM makes sense, but Harden is the MVP, there is no debate there. KD over Curry lmfao. Bill Simmons fan I guess? He does like that KD grants him interviews so there is that, but no, rest assure he is not a better player or more important to the Dubs.

Kyrie at #4 is silly/stupid. The rest is solid.

NO CURRY NO PROBLEM... Hard to be MVP when your team doesnt miss a step without you.

tredigs
03-04-2018, 09:08 PM

1. Harden
2. Davis
3. Giannis
4. Kyrie
5. Lebron
6. Durant
7. Curry
8. Lillard
9. DeRozan
10. Aldridge / Jokic / Embiid

Edit: Forgot Embiid. After the top 7, it's too hard to really pick a definitive 8-10.
CP3 #1 in RPM makes sense, but Harden is the MVP, there is no debate there. KD over Curry lmfao. Bill Simmons fan I guess? He does like that KD grants him interviews so there is that, but no, rest assure he is not a better player or more important to the Dubs.

Jamiecballer
03-04-2018, 09:37 PM
J. Harden
L. James
A. Davis
C. Paul
K. Durant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

valade16
03-05-2018, 12:27 AM
What is the possible explanation for kd over curry?

JordansBulls
03-05-2018, 12:45 AM
J. Harden
L. James
A. Davis
C. Paul
K. Durant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Explain how Lebron would be 2nd? Dude has 4 MVP's and is underachieving big time. Was basically 4th last year.

Chronz
03-05-2018, 12:48 AM
Harden
AD
BRON
Curry

Then prolly giannis, kd, CP3, Dame and maybe Irving

goingfor28
03-05-2018, 02:06 AM
Explain how Lebron would be 2nd? Dude has 4 MVP's and is underachieving big time. Was basically 4th last year.How the hell is LeBron underachieving? He's averaging 27/8/9 on 54% shooting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
03-05-2018, 03:59 AM
What is the possible explanation for kd over curry?

Defense and the fact that the 13 games curry missed they went 11-2.... i wonder if they go 11-2 without KD... NOPE.

Jamiecballer
03-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Explain how Lebron would be 2nd? Dude has 4 MVP's and is underachieving big time. Was basically 4th last year.

the number of MVP's he has is so irrelevant that it's obvious. underachieving? dear god we have been spoiled. and when you discard all the narratives he's definitely 2nd last year at worst.

ewing
03-05-2018, 10:07 AM
the number of MVP's he has is so irrelevant that it's obvious. underachieving? dear god we have been spoiled. and when you discard all the narratives he's definitely 2nd last year at worst.

I think he deserves consideration. the only case i could make against is the team's dysfunction this year and his role in that. cant argue with his production

TrueFan420
03-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Defense and the fact that the 13 games curry missed they went 11-2.... i wonder if they go 11-2 without KD... NOPE.

Did you watch any of those games? They were mostly ****. The system offensively stopped working. From a purely individual standpoint KD might be the better of the two but from impact alone Curry has more value. He makes the offense work. When he came back we instantly stopped playing **** ball and squeaking by teams we should have been blowing out and when right back to browning them out.

Remember when KD missed time last year... we still won and with style. Curry stepped up to MVP level during that stretch.

More-Than-Most
03-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Did you watch any of those games? They were mostly ****. The system offensively stopped working. From a purely individual standpoint KD might be the better of the two but from impact alone Curry has more value. He makes the offense work. When he came back we instantly stopped playing **** ball and squeaking by teams we should have been blowing out and when right back to browning them out.

Remember when KD missed time last year... we still won and with style. Curry stepped up to MVP level during that stretch.

so adding curry made them explode? NO **** lol... Again of course adding curry means they would play other worldly... it would be an even greater effect if curry was the one playing and durant was injured and came back because they wouldnt have gone 11-2 in that span or whatever. When you just add a top 10 player in the world who fits perfectly the team will get way better so what point are you trying to make exactly?

valade16
03-05-2018, 01:38 PM

The Warriors this year are 7-1 without KD. Last year KD was injured for 19 games and the Warriors went 15-4. Prior to KD arriving they won a championship and set the all-time record for wins in a season.

Thinking they wouldn't be able to go 11-2 without KD discounts the actual times they were without KD and did fine. Whatever your argument is, it is not fact based.

TheDish87
03-05-2018, 02:26 PM
exactly why neither KD or Curry should be in the MVP convo and a reminder that KD is a pusssy

Chronz
03-05-2018, 02:47 PM
They played better without kd and with curry tho. Why you say nope?

Chronz
03-05-2018, 02:53 PM
The Warriors this year are 7-1 without KD. Last year KD was injured for 19 games and the Warriors went 15-4. Prior to KD arriving they won a championship and set the all-time record for wins in a season.

Thinking they wouldn't be able to go 11-2 without KD discounts the actual times they were without KD and did fine. Whatever your argument is, it is not fact based.

If we check the efficiency differentials I'm certain the gap is greater than raw win loss tally would indicate, even more so if we could track their srs.

valade16
03-05-2018, 02:59 PM
If we check the efficiency differentials I'm certain the gap is greater than raw win loss tally would indicate, even more so if we could track their srs.

Not to mention Curry is better by virtually every metric. Higher PER (27.6 to 25.7), higher TS% (.673 to .649), WS/48 (.267 to .222), BPM (8.2 to 5.8) and VORP (4.1 to 3.8). Curry scores more than KD despite playing less MPG.

In history has anyone ever been considered a better MVP candidate from the same team despite being inferior by every advanced measurement?

mightybosstone
03-05-2018, 03:13 PM

Apparently no leniency whatsoever is required with these things, regardless if I say "top of my head" or not. I had zero ulterior motives for putting Durant ahead of Curry. I didn't even think that hard about it. I just wanted to group them together, but I frankly don't care which order they go in, and I wouldn't put either in my top five. Aside from the fact that they play together, the biggest knock on Curry is that he's missed like 20 percent of the season up to this point. But he clearly plays

I don't think it is. He's the best player on a top 5 team in the league, and he has one of the best narratives of all the MVP candidates. Do I think he's been the fourth best player in the league this season? No. But that's not what the MVP is about, and I give you enough credit to know that.

Chronz
03-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Not to mention Curry is better by virtually every metric. Higher PER (27.6 to 25.7), higher TS% (.673 to .649), WS/48 (.267 to .222), BPM (8.2 to 5.8) and VORP (4.1 to 3.8). Curry scores more than KD despite playing less MPG.

In history has anyone ever been considered a better MVP candidate from the same team despite being inferior by every advanced measurement?

Kobe with Shaq.
Think west was above Wilt one year that I found quite arguable. What made the Shaq one maddening is that we didn't even need stats to know who was more valuable, it was self evident for years when we saw them without the other, stats should've just sealed the deal.

Jamiecballer
03-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Kobe with Shaq.
Think west was above Wilt one year that I found quite arguable. What made the Shaq one maddening is that we didn't even need stats to know who was more valuable, it was self evident for years when we saw them without the other, stats should've just sealed the deal.

thats honestly how i feel about this one. and by this one i mean the curry durant discussion. ten years from now i feel like we are gonna sit here and say we knew evaluating and quantifying defensive impact was still well behind our abilities to do the same for offense, and we could see with our eyes the how one was much better AND versatile on the defensive end - and yet we STILL said things like Curry has a better case just look at these numbers that are close but have Curry ahead

JasonJohnHorn
03-06-2018, 09:44 PM
Once you get past the first couple options, it gets really subjective.

As a dissenting voice, I feel like Chris Paul dserves some love.

Harden is the obvious answer, and I wouldn't argue against somebody making a case for that. He deserves it.

But I think there is a case for Paul to, looking at how much easier he's made things for Harden, and how he's taken this team to another level, and though a lot of people were excited about this pairing, there were concerns about chemistry, and they've been totally wiped out.

It's especially frustrating to see Paul not even get an All-Star nod.

After those two, it's a bit of a toss up. I think Curry and KD are both deserving, but they also cancel each other out (this some how doesn't apply to CP3 and Harden though).

James has slowed down a bit, but he's carrying a heavy load in Cleveland.

Kyrie's got a case, but I think a lot of people look at Boston and see that as a team effort with great coaching and great chemistry that Kyrie has jsut fit into.

The Pels are now playing better without DMC than with him, so so love has to go to AD.

And Lillard obviously deserves some love here too.

The weird thing is that even though TO is at the top of the east, it doesn't feel like they have an MVP candidate on their team. Like Boston, I think people view this as a well-coached team. Lowry strated the season slow, but has picked things up. DeRozen... he just doesn't have a nice 3-pt shot, though a strong all-around game other wise. This team's in a position to win the west, and they arguably don't even have a top-twenty player in the league, and certainly not a top-ten player.

Harden's taking the award, clearly, though AD may be able to pick up some steam heading into the stretch.

But I really think people need to look hard at Chris Paul.

FlashBolt
03-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Harden is 1-10 in the MVP list... who cares about #2.

tredigs
03-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Apparently no leniency whatsoever is required with these things, regardless if I say "top of my head" or not. I had zero ulterior motives for putting Durant ahead of Curry. I didn't even think that hard about it. I just wanted to group them together, but I frankly don't care which order they go in, and I wouldn't put either in my top five. Aside from the fact that they play together, the biggest knock on Curry is that he's missed like 20 percent of the season up to this point. But he clearly plays

I don't think it is. He's the best player on a top 5 team in the league, and he has one of the best narratives of all the MVP candidates. Do I think he's been the fourth best player in the league this season? No. But that's not what the MVP is about, and I give you enough credit to know that.

Ah, gotchya. Thought you were naming your own choices, not what you think others think...

ewing
03-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Wrong thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonJohnHorn
03-08-2018, 03:21 AM

The Cavs lost Kyrie and Love for part of the season, TT was out for a bit and came back playing at a lower level, and yet they are on pace to win only 3 fewer games and are scoring like 110 per100 which is only one point less than last season.

I would agree that LBJ is was not playing as well over the 15-20 games leading into the ASG as he was the first 20, but this is an MVP calibre season.

I'm not saying that I'd put him 2nd, but there is a case to be made.

Sanjay
06-22-2018, 08:06 PM
Go.

1. Harden (led Rockets to best record in the league)
2. LeBron (Cavs wouldn't have made the playoffs without him)
3. Davis (a beast everywhere)
4. Lillard (carried Blazers to third in the West)
5. Irving (was fantastic before he went down)
6. Durant (consistent scorer and improved defender)
7. Butler (Timberwolves were in the third seed before he got hurt)
8. Anthony-Towns (dominant on both ends)
9. DeRozan (led Raptors to the second best record in NBA)
10. Paul (best number two guy in the regular season)