PDA

View Full Version : Does the Streak end this season?

Cal827
03-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Hello fellow members,

This thread concerns the perennial dominance of the San Antonio Spurs. As most of us know, the Spurs have been absolutely phenomenal over the past 2 decades. Thanks to guys like Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Robinson (in the earlier years), Kawhi, and Lemarcus, the Spurs have been able to reach the finals 6 times, going 5-1 in them. Even in the one that they lost (thanks to Ray Allen's heroics in what would've been the clincher), they just got back to it and dominated to their most recent title.

Another sign of their dominance has been their season record. Since drafting Tim Duncan, the team has won 50 or more games in EVERY season (or have been on the pace in the 50 game shortened season to eclipse 50 wins). Even in the 66 game shortened season, they were able to get 50 wins, which is incredible. In many cases, it's ranged from 55-67. To put it in perspective, in 2016, the Raptors set their franchise record for wins in a season with 56; the Spurs have eclipsed that amount 12 times in roughly 20 years!

Yesterday, the Spurs lost to the Pelicans to fall to 36-26. For them to reach 50 wins, they need to 14-6 in their remaining 20 games in order to get to 50 wins. They currently are dealing with injuries to their best players. While Kawhi might be close to returning, it looks like Aldridge might be out for a little bit after injuring his ankle last night. Even with the returns, there's going to be a bit of time to adjust. The Western Conference is also a meat grinder, and the Spurs ending schedule consists of many other strong teams fighting for playoff spots too:

Golden State x2
Houston x2
Washington x 2
OKC x 2
Pelicans X 2
@ Milwaukee
Portland
Utah
Minnesota
@ Los Angeles Clippers (fighting for 8th seed)

The Spurs would need to not only win all of the game not listed, but also be at least 8-6 from these games to end with 50 wins. Now, with Poppovich, it is possible that this could happen, but what do you guys think? Do you think that the Spurs will win 50 (or more) games, or do you think that this year will mark the end of the streak?

If you saw what I thought the seeding is going to be in the playoffs this year, you already knew what I thought.

tredigs
03-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Definitely looks to be over, but they should still make the playoffs (though not a guarantee either with how close 3 through 9 are in the West standings).

Scoots
03-01-2018, 11:33 PM
It's going to be close. At the current pace they will miss it, but if Kawhi comes back ... maybe they can win 14 of the last 20.

ewing
03-02-2018, 12:27 AM
IDK, i do think the Cavs lose in the playoffs. I will be impressed if LBJ can get them out of the East

Vallejo Raiders
03-02-2018, 04:53 AM
idk, i do think the cavs lose in the playoffs. I will be impressed if lbj can get them out of the east

Wrong Thread??

Ahriman
03-02-2018, 06:18 AM
Wrong Thread??

Wrong streak. I think he didn't read OP and thought it was about LBJ finals streak

KnicksorBust
03-02-2018, 08:59 AM
Wrong streak. I think he didn't read OP and thought it was about LBJ finals streak

He's either being an idiot or being a troll. :)

KnicksorBust
03-02-2018, 08:59 AM
Hello fellow members,

This thread concerns the perennial dominance of the San Antonio Spurs. As most of us know, the Spurs have been absolutely phenomenal over the past 2 decades. Thanks to guys like Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Robinson (in the earlier years), Kawhi, and Lemarcus, the Spurs have been able to reach the finals 6 times, going 5-1 in them. Even in the one that they lost (thanks to Ray Allen's heroics in what would've been the clincher), they just got back to it and dominated to their most recent title.

Another sign of their dominance has been their season record. Since drafting Tim Duncan, the team has won 50 or more games in EVERY season (or have been on the pace in the 50 game shortened season to eclipse 50 wins). Even in the 66 game shortened season, they were able to get 50 wins, which is incredible. In many cases, it's ranged from 55-67. To put it in perspective, in 2016, the Raptors set their franchise record for wins in a season with 56; the Spurs have eclipsed that amount 12 times in roughly 20 years!

Yesterday, the Spurs lost to the Pelicans to fall to 36-26. For them to reach 50 wins, they need to 14-6 in their remaining 20 games in order to get to 50 wins. They currently are dealing with injuries to their best players. While Kawhi might be close to returning, it looks like Aldridge might be out for a little bit after injuring his ankle last night. Even with the returns, there's going to be a bit of time to adjust. The Western Conference is also a meat grinder, and the Spurs ending schedule consists of many other strong teams fighting for playoff spots too:

Golden State x2
Houston x2
Washington x 2
OKC x 2
Pelicans X 2
@ Milwaukee
Portland
Utah
Minnesota
@ Los Angeles Clippers (fighting for 8th seed)

The Spurs would need to not only win all of the game not listed, but also be at least 8-6 from these games to end with 50 wins. Now, with Poppovich, it is possible that this could happen, but what do you guys think? Do you think that the Spurs will win 50 (or more) games, or do you think that this year will mark the end of the streak?

If you saw what I thought the seeding is going to be in the playoffs this year, you already knew what I thought.

I would have said they could still get to 50 but you laid out a compelling case with that end of season schedule. Lot of tough games. I'm going to say they win about 48 games and the streak ends.

Scoots
03-02-2018, 11:05 AM
He's either being an idiot or being a troll. :)

That's harsh.

TrueFan420
03-02-2018, 11:17 AM
OP makes a great case for why the streak will likely end this year. I'm hoping it doesn't. I hope Pop pulls it out and keeps the streak of 50 win seasons. He's definitely the best coach I've ever seen and I'd argue the best ever. Him getting to 50 this year with this team in this conference would be just incredible.

Scoots
03-02-2018, 11:25 AM
My favorite thing about Pop as a coach is that he teaches the team how to play and then they play vanilla all year and only really turn up the scheme in the playoffs. Most coaches are just not confident enough to do that. I think we're seeing a little of that in Kerr in that he knows the PNR with Curry and KD is nearly unstoppable but he's not only avoiding that PNR they are the least PNR running team in the NBA. Brad Stevens does some of that too, but some of that is that he has special plays for every opponent that he tries out here and there through the year but not always. The Spurs last title they won by unleashing the full movement offense which hadn't really been unleashed to that extent all year. He's got balls that are rare in pro coaches.

Heediot
03-02-2018, 12:37 PM
My favorite thing about Pop as a coach is that he teaches the team how to play and then they play vanilla all year and only really turn up the scheme in the playoffs. Most coaches are just not confident enough to do that. I think we're seeing a little of that in Kerr in that he knows the PNR with Curry and KD is nearly unstoppable but he's not only avoiding that PNR they are the least PNR running team in the NBA. Brad Stevens does some of that too, but some of that is that he has special plays for every opponent that he tries out here and there through the year but not always. The Spurs last title they won by unleashing the full movement offense which hadn't really been unleashed to that extent all year. He's got balls that are rare in pro coaches.

I think Pops also plays to the strength of his roster. If KL is out with LMA and Pau as your best scorers you work around that. But he does turn things up in the playoffs and we see the rotations/scheme change. He didn't trust Dedmond too much the later it went in the playoffs last year.

Scoots
03-02-2018, 01:40 PM
I think Pops also plays to the strength of his roster. If KL is out with LMA and Pau as your best scorers you work around that. But he does turn things up in the playoffs and we see the rotations/scheme change. He didn't trust Dedmond too much the later it went in the playoffs last year.

Indeed. I think most coaches want to force changes in their roster to build a team in to their kind of team, while Pop coaches a scheme to maximize his players against the trends dominant in the more winning teams in the NBA. It's really fun to watch and try to figure out what he's working on and where he's trying to find gaps.

Chronz
03-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Same answer I gave the last time this question was asked. About effin time

kobe4thewinbang
03-02-2018, 09:42 PM
All things end, but never count out the Spurs. They looked sharp on the road against the Cavaliers, eventually outlasting their competitive effort at home. The Spurs can easily beat some of those teams. Some games are hard to predict, but the Bucks have lost some tough ones lately. I could easily see Popovich's "meh" style costing them a few games, too. They lost a close one the other night. Tough to say, but all factors point to the streak ending. Injury to Leonard, injury to Gay, injury to Aldridge. Add Patty's struggles, and it looks bad. Danny Green rarely has a hot night like he did (22 points) so it's all on some young blood or Mills to have a standout game.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-02-2018, 11:46 PM
I voted no. I can't handle Taker losing at WM AND the Spurs not getting 50 wins in my lifetime.

mightybosstone
03-03-2018, 11:25 AM
More than likely, yes. Kawhi is still a question mark, and now Aldridge and Gasol are banged up. And their schedule down the stretch is absolutely brutal. Fifteen of their remaining 20 games are against teams in the playoff hunt, and they play the Rockets and Warriors a combined four times.

All that being said, they could win 48-49 games and still possibly get the third seed. The difference between the third best team in the West and the 10th best team is insanely small, and there's a lot of injuries to teams that will prevent the conference from having a bunch of 50-game winners this season aside from Houston and Golden State.

TylerSL
03-03-2018, 01:09 PM
I voted no. I can't handle Taker losing at WM AND the Spurs not getting 50 wins in my lifetime.

haha this!

kdspurman
03-03-2018, 10:31 PM
I have no idea. They have a tough schedule, but so much depends on Kawhi coming back. If he does, and he's not as rusty as his first return, I can see them pull it out.

They have a 6 game homestand coming up that will be crucial. If they don't tho, I hope they can keep the playoff streak going. 2 more seasons and they'll own that record too