PDA

View Full Version : Coy?

JasonJohnHorn
02-23-2018, 12:53 AM
It might be a little early for this, but I feel like there is a front runner already: Pop.

I mean... lots of guys doing a stellar job. Brad Stevens in Boston, Kerr and 'Antoni have teams at the top of the league. Dwayne Casey is getting a lot of milege (or kilometres) out of the Raptors.

But I just look at the Spurs' record and what they have on the floor, and I don't know how they are over .500 in the West, let alone how they are third and have the 5th best record in the league.

I mean, look at how much talent the Wizards have. Beal. Wall. Porter. Gortat is a healthy guy and solid player. Look at OKC: Westy, Melo, and PG, plus guys like Adams doing their dirty work. The Pels had AD and DMC most of the season, putting up numbers that look like the blow LMA and Gasol out of the water, but who has had the better record? The Clippers started out with DaJ and Blake and nothing. The Blazers.

I mean... how is a team with LMA, who many fans sold up the river as being to post-dominanat and not high efficiency, able to stay near the top of the conference with a supporting cas the features Green, Anderson, and Murray in the starting line-up (none of them anywhere near all-star calibre), a 37-year-old Gasol filling out the line up, and a 40 year old Manu leading the bench?

I don't expect their level of play to stay where it has been up until this point, but a .500 record and a playoff berth seem a lock.

Is this a COY performance?

Who else is putting in a deserving performance?

Scoots
02-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Stevens is a front runner with the Celtics leading the East after losing Hayward a few minutes in to the season.

warfelg
02-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Stevens is a front runner with the Celtics leading the East after losing Hayward a few minutes in to the season.

If by leading the east you mean being 2.0 games behind. ;)

In all reality, I think there's a time we need to mention Brett Brown some. Sure a lot of people will say they have Embiid and Simmons. But his bench has been horrible, we've lacked any SF depth all year, and we're on the verge of one of the biggest 2 year turnarounds in NBA history.

TheDish87
02-23-2018, 09:48 AM
not sure who it is at the moment but Pop, Malone, Casey, and Brown would be my front runners

Jamiecballer
02-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Imo this is Caseys to lose at this point in time. Stevens is a great coach but he wont get it unless the Celts have another 22-4 run in them, COY never goes to a team that meets expectations. D'Antoni is the only other candidate that i see.

Actually as crazy as it sounds Doc Rivers considering the injuries in LA puts him 3rd in my opinion just ahead of Stevens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Jamiecballer
02-23-2018, 10:50 AM
I am guessing how the votes will go obviously. Voting who the best coaches are is a different discussion

Giannis94
02-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Prunty!

Lakers + Giants
02-23-2018, 11:40 AM
If by leading the east you mean being 2.0 games behind. ;)

In all reality, I think there's a time we need to mention Brett Brown some. Sure a lot of people will say they have Embiid and Simmons. But his bench has been horrible, we've lacked any SF depth all year, and we're on the verge of one of the biggest 2 year turnarounds in NBA history.

If anything I'd say 76ers have underachieved thus far. They should definitely be a higher seed right now, many had them as a top 5 seed. In still think they'll get it soon.

As for the turnaround, well noooo ****, the players that missed a whole year are actually playing now...

Every year they have the #1 overall pick sit out the whole year. Of course they're coming going to see a huge increase in performance by when they actually play. Very misleading turnaround in this case.

Texan_Rocket
02-23-2018, 11:49 AM
I think Pop and Stevens have to be the front runners, considering their teams lost their best player (2nd in Hayward) and are still both top 3 teams in the conference. Iíd give it to Pop though, i did not expect the Spurs to still be a top 3 seed with KL out.

After that, Díantoni, Kerr, Casey. Those would be my top 5 candidates. I donít see the Brown love, i get that making the playoffs is a great start to this era for them where they havenít been recently, but itís not like theyíre a top team.

TheDish87
02-23-2018, 12:11 PM
If anything I'd say 76ers have underachieved thus far. They should definitely be a higher seed right now, many had them as a top 5 seed. In still think they'll get it soon.

As for the turnaround, well noooo ****, the players that missed a whole year are actually playing now...

Every year they have the #1 overall pick sit out the whole year. Of course they're coming going to see a huge increase in performance by when they actually play. Very misleading turnaround in this case.

how the hell are the Sixers underachieving at 31-25 sitting 2.5 games out of 3rd? get that non sense out of here. your logic is turrible.

TheDish87
02-23-2018, 12:11 PM
I think Pop and Stevens have to be the front runners, considering their teams lost their best player (2nd in Hayward) and are still both top 3 teams in the conference. Iíd give it to Pop though, i did not expect the Spurs to still be a top 3 seed with KL out.

After that, Díantoni, Kerr, Casey. Those would be my top 5 candidates. I donít see the Brown love, i get that making the playoffs is a great start to this era for them where they havenít been recently, but itís not like theyíre a top team.

check the Sixers record...

mnatiq
02-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Casey.

Texan_Rocket
02-23-2018, 12:25 PM
check the Sixers record...

Yes the 2.5 games out of third seems impressive, but the Cavs are about to go on a run. That 2.5 will become 6, 6.5 in a few weeks. I just donít see how a 7th seeded east team, hell even a 4th seeded west team would get COY over guys like Pop and Stevens who are a top 3 seed with their best guys injured, and over guys who have their teams 1 or 2 in the conference.

Iím not saying i donít like what the Sixers have done, good jump and the future looks like itís theirs, but i donít see Brown in the COY discussion, just my opinion though.

D-Leethal
02-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Based on the way these things are usually handed out, Casey probably gets it. D'Antoni probably deserves it.

Chronz
02-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Pay closer attention to the clips. We're prolly the least talented team in the playoff mix tho we're considerably deeper than years past

TheDish87
02-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Yes the 2.5 games out of third seems impressive, but the Cavs are about to go on a run. That 2.5 will become 6, 6.5 in a few weeks. I just donít see how a 7th seeded east team, hell even a 4th seeded west team would get COY over guys like Pop and Stevens who are a top 3 seed with their best guys injured, and over guys who have their teams 1 or 2 in the conference.

Iím not saying i donít like what the Sixers have done, good jump and the future looks like itís theirs, but i donít see Brown in the COY discussion, just my opinion though.

lol thats your logic? the cavs are about to go on a run, a run that started with a home L last night lol. To me a top 4 seed has to put Brown as a top 2 COY contender. Rather you think he wins or not i dont care but to think at 31-25 rising up the standings doesnt have him in contention is crazy.

Heediot
02-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Imo this is Caseys to lose at this point in time. Stevens is a great coach but he wont get it unless the Celts have another 22-4 run in them, COY never goes to a team that meets expectations. D'Antoni is the only other candidate that i see.

Actually as crazy as it sounds Doc Rivers considering the injuries in LA puts him 3rd in my opinion just ahead of Stevens.

Most projected Boston a sub 50 win lower seed team in the east once Hayward was injured.

Texan_Rocket
02-23-2018, 01:23 PM
lol thats your logic? the cavs are about to go on a run, a run that started with a home L last night lol. To me a top 4 seed has to put Brown as a top 2 COY contender. Rather you think he wins or not i dont care but to think at 31-25 rising up the standings doesnt have him in contention is crazy.

I just donít see it.

Pop, Stevens, Casey, Dantoni, Kerr.

Those would be my top 5. Would love to be wrong though, i like the Simmons and Embiid combo and would love for them to take a top seed and give a top east team trouble in the playoffs.

TheDish87
02-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Kerr is exempt from COY short of going undefeated with that roster. I mentioned the others but left of Mike D by accident, hes surely gonna have a case to if they win the west. I think Boston is gonna continue to fall back to reality, they are slightly ahead of expectations so far. Again, im not advocating for Brown to win it (yet, top 3 seed i will) but hes certainly gonna be in the running.

Texan_Rocket
02-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Kerr is exempt from COY short of going undefeated with that roster. I mentioned the others but left of Mike D by accident, hes surely gonna have a case to if they win the west. I think Boston is gonna continue to fall back to reality, they are slightly ahead of expectations so far. Again, im not advocating for Brown to win it (yet, top 3 seed i will) but hes certainly gonna be in the running.

If brown gets a top 3 seed i will even advocate him winning it, and who knows, if Boston keeps falling it can happen

rhino17
02-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Casey or Pop

Jamiecballer
02-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Most projected Boston a sub 50 win lower seed team in the east once Hayward was injured.

that was silly IMO.

Heediot
02-23-2018, 02:54 PM
that was silly IMO.

With Hayward they were at 55.5 on average with the bookies.

TheDish87
02-23-2018, 02:57 PM
48-50 was realistic for Boston. They basically didnt have Heyward this year which makes it a little tricky depending on where they finish.

sixer04fan
02-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Probably Casey. Letís be honest. Followed by Stevens and Rivers. Donít think Brett Brown is gonna be in the conversation barring a ridiculous run from here on out to like 50 wins. Even then I would have my doubts. I donít see Popovich in the running this year either even though heís over performing with a depleted team.

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Brown is a good coach but it's not him. Should be JKidd in honor of Giannis94

Jamiecballer
02-23-2018, 06:16 PM
With Hayward they were at 55.5 on average with the bookies.Sounds about right to me.

C-Dub
02-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Brown is a good coach but it's not him. Should be JKidd in honor of Giannis94

PRUNTY will be COY lol

adidas2307
02-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Don't sleep on Quin Snyder.

(I know he won't win it but he's doing great work with that Jazz team)

JasonJohnHorn
02-23-2018, 08:31 PM

Stevens is a fantatic coach, and he's doing a helluva job. He deserves it as much as just about anybody.

The only thing I take issue with is this loss of Hayward. They didn't have Hayward last year and were tops in the east, so losing him, while adding tp 3 pick and dumping IT for Kyrie... I feel like that was a HUGE improvement even without Hayward.

If they had not signed Hayward in the offseason and still trade for Kyrie with that top pick, I'd expect an improvement regardless.

That said... it just speaks to how much better that team will be when they add an All-Star SG like him.

Giannis94
02-23-2018, 10:16 PM
PRUNTY will be COY lol

Yessir he will be! Can I get an Joel Osteen aaaaaaaaaaahmen?!

corky831
02-23-2018, 10:48 PM
Stevens has to win it one of these years. He lost Hayward this year, and ya he has talent, but a lot is young talent that's still learning. Kyrie is one of the older players on the team at 25. I don't see how Brown is deserving over Stevens

ewing
02-24-2018, 02:04 AM
Nate the great McMillian

R. Johnson#3
02-24-2018, 02:28 AM
I love how during the off-season everyone was saying the Raptors would be a middle to bottom seed playoff team in the East. Now they're 1st and DC is getting no love. For me it's either DC or Pop.

The Raps have completely revamped their approach this year and implemented a bench full of 2nd and 3rd year players plus CJ Miles. Normally you'd expect growing pains and there definitely have been some but the fact that he has the team in 1st speaks volumes. I've been very critical of DC in the past but I think he deserves it this year.

The Spurs have fallen out of the elite group but in all reality the fall should have been much worse. The fact that they're in 3rd without Kawhi is amazing. I can see Pop being a contender.

More-Than-Most
02-24-2018, 04:07 AM

one more time... HARDEST SCHEDULE IN BASKETBALL UP TILL LAST GAME IN THE ENTIRE NBA and still went 5 games over 500 : )

Everyone had them as a playoff team in the 8th seed... I had them a 4 seed : )

ewing
02-24-2018, 09:25 AM
No Pacer love. Where is the Indy realist?

Heediot
02-24-2018, 09:51 AM
I love how during the off-season everyone was saying the Raptors would be a middle to bottom seed playoff team in the East. Now they're 1st and DC is getting no love. For me it's either DC or Pop.

The Raps have completely revamped their approach this year and implemented a bench full of 2nd and 3rd year players plus CJ Miles. Normally you'd expect growing pains and there definitely have been some but the fact that he has the team in 1st speaks volumes. I've been very critical of DC in the past but I think he deserves it this year.

The Spurs have fallen out of the elite group but in all reality the fall should have been much worse. The fact that they're in 3rd without Kawhi is amazing. I can see Pop being a contender.

Raps have a good case. they were projected 48.5 o/u. They should be between 55-60. It's not just the wins, the style of play has changed too which should also be considered.