PDA

View Full Version : Leonard likely out for season.

KobeOwnSU
02-21-2018, 08:39 PM
He will be traded to the Lakers in the offseason.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2018, 08:40 PM

You posted first lol

warfelg
02-21-2018, 08:41 PM

How is this not something bigger?

kdspurman
02-21-2018, 08:49 PM
:bang:

lakerfan85
02-21-2018, 08:51 PM
What In the hell is wrong with him?

Scoots
02-21-2018, 09:20 PM
Damn Zaza.

kdspurman
02-21-2018, 09:34 PM
What In the hell is wrong with him?

He's in NYC getting a 2nd opinion on his quad, tho he's been cleared to play. There's some rumblings he's afraid he doesn't want to get hurt again and thus not get that super max offer, but it's just 1 of the theories out there.

If/when he comes back is up to him

KobeOwnSU
02-21-2018, 09:49 PM
You posted first lolIt's a sign from the Gods.

NYKnickFanatic
02-21-2018, 09:53 PM
I just hope he can come back healthy and be his former self or even better. If he needs to take the year off, so be it.

J4KOP99
02-21-2018, 10:22 PM
This is an odd situation. Very un-spurs like.

mightybosstone
02-21-2018, 10:40 PM
If this is true, the West is really becoming a two-team race. I just don't see OKC or Minnesota as a real threat to Golden State or Houston at this point.

kdspurman
02-21-2018, 10:46 PM
From a Spurs insider

Sources tell the San Antonio Express-News Leonard was rehabbing in New Jersey over the All-Star break. If his leg were to improve, Leonard still hopes to attempt a comeback next month; hence Popovich kept the door slightly open for a return while appearing skeptical

Playing it super cautious it seems and I guess I get it, lot of money on the line. But also would be nice to finish the season on the court. He's earned that $$, but at the same time if he's cleared, and gets cleared by his docs, he should get his *** out there and play the final stretch

HandsOnTheWheel
02-22-2018, 12:20 AM
This is tough to watch unfold. It'll be somewhat surreal to count out the Spurs (assuming he doesn't come back this year) being that they've been the staple of championship level basketball every year for the past 2 decades.

I'm not understanding this injury though, is this the same one that Pachulia caused?

More-Than-Most
02-22-2018, 01:33 AM
From a Spurs insider

Playing it super cautious it seems and I guess I get it, lot of money on the line. But also would be nice to finish the season on the court. He's earned that $$, but at the same time if he's cleared, and gets cleared by his docs, he should get his *** out there and play the final stretch

Normally id agree but its his first real contract and the spurs would give him a max when it warrants it but if he gets injured the spurs would let him walk or pay cents on the dollar... thus 2 way street... i wouldnt risk it either nor would i expect the spurs to max him if he were injured because of how he played before etc etc.

Saddletramp
02-22-2018, 01:38 AM
If it's true that Kawhii is cleared but doesn't want to risk further injury with a max contract coming up, then he's not the guy that I thought he was. Sounds Derek Rose-ish.

Storch
02-22-2018, 01:44 AM
Maybe he declined from the injury and does not want to drop his stock.

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 07:58 AM
From a Spurs insider

If he was a free agent this summer, I'd understand that logic, but that's a year and a half away. Playing at 80 percent health this season shouldn't really negatively impact his max deal in 2019. Hell, if Kawhi returns and only produces at the level he did two years ago, he'd still unequivocally deserve a max deal. And he's still got all of next season to prove his worth.

This kind of just strikes me as a guy who is unwilling to play with pain. It's not my body, so I'm not going to pretend like I know what he's feeling or going through. But he and the Spurs have got to figure it out.

kdspurman
02-22-2018, 08:33 AM
If he was a free agent this summer, I'd understand that logic, but that's a year and a half away. Playing at 80 percent health this season shouldn't really negatively impact his max deal in 2019. Hell, if Kawhi returns and only produces at the level he did two years ago, he'd still unequivocally deserve a max deal. And he's still got all of next season to prove his worth.

This kind of just strikes me as a guy who is unwilling to play with pain. It's not my body, so I'm not going to pretend like I know what he's feeling or going through. But he and the Spurs have got to figure it out.

They can offer it this summer I believe..

I agree tho, I think it's a pain thing. In his defense, I think he's had maybe 3 or 4 incidents with his quad over his career, and he doesn't want this to be chronic situation, so he's trying to be 1000% comfortable.

I think based on Pop's interview, he's over it. He's been cleared to play but isn't playing yet. Gotta be frustrating, especially as the Spurs have typically used the post all star break to get into a rhythm and clean up on court issues

ewing
02-22-2018, 09:28 AM
odd. always loved his on court attitude. just werid

bleedprple&gold
02-22-2018, 10:07 AM

Let's wait till 2019 and get him for free :D

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 10:14 AM
They can offer it this summer I believe..

I agree tho, I think it's a pain thing. In his defense, I think he's had maybe 3 or 4 incidents with his quad over his career, and he doesn't want this to be chronic situation, so he's trying to be 1000% comfortable.

I think based on Pop's interview, he's over it. He's been cleared to play but isn't playing yet. Gotta be frustrating, especially as the Spurs have typically used the post all star break to get into a rhythm and clean up on court issues

It's an interesting conversation, really. Do professional athletes making millions of dollars every year owe it to their teams and fans to play through pain?

On one hand, I think it's a little ridiculous of fans to criticize athletes to not play through pain when we have no idea what the athlete is going through or how the athlete feels just so that we can enjoy watching the athlete perform as we sit on our couches and drink beer. That's some archaic, Roman gladiator level of thinking. And if we're talking chronic, quality-of-life-altering levels of pain, that's a really serious thing we're expecting of an athlete.

However, on the other, professional sports are a demanding industry in terms of what is expected of your body. You're constantly training and pushing yourself, and you're asked to perform feats of athleticism that 99+ percent of the population is incapable of. And you're compensated so handsomely for it that the greatest scientists, politicians and physicians in the world make a fraction of what you make. I have to go to work when I'm not 100 percent sometimes, but my job involves sitting in an office and reading and typing all day, not constantly training, running and jumping for several hours a day.

One could argue that playing through pain should be part of the job description if you're a professional athlete, but to what lengths is it fair for us to expect an athlete to fight through severe pain when his job essentially just amounts to putting a ball in a circle?

Vinylman
02-22-2018, 10:18 AM
deng and a second for KL

more than fair

Vinylman
02-22-2018, 10:31 AM
It's an interesting conversation, really. Do professional athletes making millions of dollars every year owe it to their teams and fans to play through pain?

On one hand, I think it's a little ridiculous of fans to criticize athletes to not play through pain when we have no idea what the athlete is going through or how the athlete feels just so that we can enjoy watching the athlete perform as we sit on our couches and drink beer. That's some archaic, Roman gladiator level of thinking. And if we're talking chronic, quality-of-life-altering levels of pain, that's a really serious thing we're expecting of an athlete.

However, on the other, professional sports are a demanding industry in terms of what is expected of your body. You're constantly training and pushing yourself, and you're asked to perform feats of athleticism that 99+ percent of the population is incapable of. And you're compensated so handsomely for it that the greatest scientists, politicians and physicians in the world make a fraction of what you make. I have to go to work when I'm not 100 percent sometimes, but my job involves sitting in an office and reading and typing all day, not constantly training, running and jumping for several hours a day.

One could argue that playing through pain should be part of the job description if you're a professional athlete, but to what lengths is it fair for us to expect an athlete to fight through severe pain when his job essentially just amounts to putting a ball in a circle?

pain that doesn't have an impact on furthering an injury? in that case I say he should play.

The reason he doesn't is that he knows its meaningless to play in the current NBA because the chances of a chip are basically nil....

the league has created their own problems...

why do you think stuff like the draft/FA/trade deadline drive more interest from fans than anything on the court... because most teams situations are ****.

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 10:35 AM
pain that doesn't have an impact on furthering an injury? in that case I say he should play.

The reason he doesn't is that he knows its meaningless to play in the current NBA because the chances of a chip are basically nil....

the league has created their own problems...

why do you think stuff like the draft/FA/trade deadline drive more interest from fans than anything on the court... because most teams situations are ****.

Except the Spurs looked damn good in the playoffs last year and were on their way to beating the Warriors in Game 1 before Kawhi went down. I'm not saying the Spurs with Kawhi are favorites to win the title or anything, but I hardly think it's a foregone conclusion that they'd have zero chance to win the championship.

Vinylman
02-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Except the Spurs looked damn good in the playoffs last year and were on their way to beating the Warriors in Game 1 before Kawhi went down. I'm not saying the Spurs with Kawhi are favorites to win the title or anything, but I hardly think it's a foregone conclusion that they'd have zero chance to win the championship.

meh... I would never say never but GS is the clear prohibitive favorite even with KL but point taken

warfelg
02-22-2018, 10:49 AM
I don't think there's any friction between the two.

I think Pop's frustration is this is an injury that you can't just scan and know if he can play or not. KL has to work out, monitor the following days how it reacts. Take that to a full week and see what happens after that. So it's frustrating from his (Pops) standpoint because you need to take a wait and see approach for soft tissue injuries.

For KL, he's had this issue before, so testing like this is more about making sure it's not a career lingering issue that hampers him and never gets right. He wants to get it right so he can completely move past this issue and be right. I think it has little to do with SA or anything like that. This is about him and his long term ability to make money.

Take the rest of the year, get it right, and come back next year. Hopefully the Spurs are able to make some moves and get another star player to put with him that's not LMA.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 12:14 PM
I think he wants out.

tredigs
02-22-2018, 01:05 PM
Would be nice if Kawhi would actually weigh in on this. Going with the mute line. Oh well. Peak year down the drain. That definitely sucks.

warfelg
02-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Would be nice if Kawhi would actually weigh in on this. Going with the mute line. Oh well. Peak year down the drain. That definitely sucks.

Injured players donít have to be made available to media.

kdspurman
02-22-2018, 01:49 PM

And even healthy Kawhi isn't the type of guy to just openly address the media lol

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 02:05 PM
First Take has been dropping bombs lately to be honest.

1. SAS says Wade may get traded back to Miami, Wade is traded

2. Jalen Rose goes on and says Kawhi wants out, Woj now reports tension between the Spurs and Kawhi

3. SAS says Jordan wants to go to Houston, remains to be seen.

kdspurman
02-22-2018, 02:13 PM

Yea playing through pain is something I imagine a lot of these guys do. It's why some are on the bench with ice packs or heat or what have you constantly.

The thing about this one that makes it tricky is, it's something that could potentially impact his career if he isn't careful, and that's why I think he's holding himself out, despite the fact the Spurs medical team has cleared him to play. He wants to be 1000% sure he is OK. When he first returned, many people noticed he wasn't himself still, his mechanics were off, the way he was landing, etc... Been talks of it possibly being a degenerative thing, so part of me gets him wanting to be sure.

I think Pop is just at the point where they probably said take X amount of time to get right, he still isn't right (whether that's physical or mental) and he's just like we're moving on under the assumption he's out. Gives the team some closure and maybe better focus. If he comes back, it's obviously great. But I doubt Pop brings him back like the last couple weeks if that's when he says he's ready.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/medical-expert-discusses-kawhi-leonards-mysterious-injury-and-whats-next-for-him/

kdspurman
02-22-2018, 02:14 PM
First Take has been dropping bombs lately to be honest.

1. SAS says Wade may get traded back to Miami, Wade is traded

2. Jalen Rose goes on and says Kawhi wants out, Woj now reports tension between the Spurs and Kawhi

3. SAS says Jordan wants to go to Houston, remains to be seen.

Woj said the tension was due to the handling (or mishandling) of the injury. Jalen I believe said Kawhi wanted out because no big name FA's want to play in SA.

Completely different things

tredigs
02-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Hence, "would be nice". He's just leaving all his fans in the dark, which isn't uncommon (and we can't expect different from the mute), but it's a very bad situation and you'd like to hear SOMETHING from his side.

tredigs
02-22-2018, 02:22 PM
On the plus side, this is the NBA, where this kind of **** can go down with no explanation and he can continue to cash that 250K game check each night all the same. Nice life.

warfelg
02-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Hence, "would be nice". He's just leaving all his fans in the dark, which isn't uncommon (and we can't expect different from the mute), but it's a very bad situation and you'd like to hear SOMETHING from his side.

Eh.....he's not required to. As KDSpur said, KL isn't one to talk anyways.

tredigs
02-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Eh.....he's not required to. As KDSpur said, KL isn't one to talk anyways.

I heard you the first time you did not respond to my point.

WOJ's/Pop's comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Ro47KXMKMFY

Basically Leonard has been cleared by internal team doctors and external doctors, and he is choosing not to play.
He definitely should not be paid for these games. This guy was the preseason favorite for MVP and entering his peak season. This is a joke, made all the more strange in that the aging veteran TP just came back from a worse version of the same injury (with the same doctors helping him) in far less time than this is taking. And the guy is cleared by everyone. Get the **** on the court, or again, give your fans something to understand why you are willingly sitting out the season while you collect game checks.

warfelg
02-22-2018, 02:44 PM

WOJ's/Pop's comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Ro47KXMKMFY

Basically Leonard has been cleared by internal team doctors and external doctors, and he is choosing not to play.
He definitely should not be paid for these games. This guy was the preseason favorite for MVP and entering his peak season. This is a joke, made all the more strange in that the aging veteran TP came back from a worse version of the same injury in far less time than this is taking.

This isn't not hearing you.

It's say the NBA rules say since he's not practicing with the team he doesn't need to talk. Dude's a quiet guy anyways. So why does he have to say something? Personally I think it's silly to make these guys say anything.

tredigs
02-22-2018, 02:51 PM

It's say the NBA rules say since he's not practicing with the team he doesn't need to talk. Dude's a quiet guy anyways. So why does he have to say something? Personally I think it's silly to make these guys say anything.

And I suppose you feel the same way if he continues this charade through the summer and into next season while continuing to cash his checks?

Listen, if you're a medically cleared superstar and your HCA team + GOAT coach + all your fans are awaiting your return and you're simply not coming back, you had better have some reason as to why. He owes it to the fans (who ultimately are the reason why these guys make what they do) to communicate something as to why on the surface it simply looks like he is playing the role of saboteur. Because ultimately that is what this now comes off as.

ewing
02-22-2018, 02:51 PM

He definitely should not be paid for these games. This guy was the preseason favorite for MVP and entering his peak season. This is a joke, made all the more strange in that the aging veteran TP just came back from a worse version of the same injury (with the same doctors helping him) in far less time than this is taking. And the guy is cleared by everyone. Get the **** on the court, or again, give your fans something to understand why you are willingly sitting out the season while you collect game checks.

I'm with you 100% on this one Treg. Normally we disagree but I don't know if dude should just get to sit with no explanation.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 02:52 PM
#HeGone to Miami

tredigs
02-22-2018, 02:53 PM
I'm with you 100% on this one Treg. Normally we disagree but I don't know if dude should just get to sit with no explanation.

Well ultimately we just disagree about Curry and it spills over ; )

warfelg
02-22-2018, 03:00 PM
And I suppose you feel the same way if he continues this charade through the summer and into next season while continuing to cash his checks?

Listen, if you're a medically cleared superstar and your HCA team + GOAT coach + all your fans are awaiting your return and you're simply not coming back, you had better have some reason as to why. He owes it to the fans (who ultimately are the reason why these guys make what they do) to communicate something as to why on the surface it simply looks like he is playing the role of saboteur. Because ultimately that is what this now comes off as.

I mean....I'm sure the team know why and they just aren't saying why either. And I'll feel the same way too at that point.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 03:06 PM

His reason imo is that he wants out. I think that's the easiest answer when looking st everything. Woj reports the tension between him and the organization/Pop and Rose says he wants out because the lack of ability to attract a star. Maybe those 2 things have been building up and now he's unhappy with their trade deadline and that's added to it

kdspurman
02-22-2018, 03:10 PM

The talk was it could be more degenerative/chronic than a tear which could be repaired via surgery like TP had. I'm not a doctor so I don't know the ins and outs, but the chance of this being a chronic/degenerative thing might have him worried and thus he is taking extra time to protect himself. Which I get from a player perspective on the brink of a potential super max. As a fan, of course there's some angst and frustration.

It's also important to note he and Parker are at very different points in their respective careers, so maybe unfair to compare their injuries/recovery times

tredigs
02-22-2018, 03:13 PM
His reason imo is that he wants out. I think that's the easiest answer when looking st everything. Woj reports the tension between him and the organization/Pop and Rose says he wants out because the lack of ability to attract a star. Maybe those 2 things have been building up and now he's unhappy with their trade deadline and that's added to it

If this is the case, then his reason for not playing is...? To sabotage his own trade value in order to not allow the Spurs a decent return on him over the summer? Just to spite them? Without saying/doing anything to the contrary, this just continues to make him look extremely bad and is tarnishing what was a stellar image.

kdspurman
02-22-2018, 03:15 PM

He was out even before the deadline stuff.

I don't believe this much at all. I think if he wanted out, he'd be on the court playing. Him sitting out with a mysterious injury might not be the best way to get teams to want you.

And secondly, the team was just playing in the WCF last season. Clearly the 2nd best team in the league last season, and with a refreshed/motivated Aldridge this season, who knows, maybe even better than last.

He doesn't strike me as the guy who wants to team up with other FA's and all that jazz. He's just a dude who wants to play ball. Idk if his Uncle (or anyone from his camp) has other plans for him, that's a completely different convo. But Kawhi IMO has no reason to want out due to lack of moves/FA help.

tredigs
02-22-2018, 03:16 PM
The talk was it could be more degenerative/chronic than a tear which could be repaired via surgery like TP had. I'm not a doctor so I don't know the ins and outs, but the chance of this being a chronic/degenerative thing might have him worried and thus he is taking extra time to protect himself. Which I get from a player perspective on the brink of a potential super max. As a fan, of course there's some angst and frustration.

It's also important to note he and Parker are at very different points in their respective careers, so maybe unfair to compare their injuries/recovery times

Which is all well and good (not really, but at least understandable) if true, but without communicating that he is painting himself in the worst light possible.

Anyway I've said more than enough here. It's just a **** situation and I wish the Spurs were playing at full force because these playoffs have the potential to be incredible if everyone goes in healthy.

kdspurman
02-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Which is all well and good (not really, but at least understandable) if true, but without communicating that he is painting himself in the worst light possible.

Anyway I've said more than enough here. It's just a **** situation and I wish the Spurs were playing at full force because these playoffs have the potential to be incredible if everyone goes in healthy.

I'd like to think the Spurs are a bit in the know, they had officials with him in NYC during his treatments/rehab this past week.

However us fans are left a bit in the dark, and for me (and Spurs fans in general) this isn't new to us. Many times stuff going on behind the scenes stays there.

goingfor28
02-22-2018, 03:38 PM
If I were his teammate I'd be pretty pissed

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ewing
02-22-2018, 07:40 PM
If I were his teammate I'd be pretty pissed

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Players particularly Stars generally feel no responsibility to teammates in todayís league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronz
02-22-2018, 07:50 PM
I tend to trust the payers on this one. I've seen tmac and Shaq get shat on by fans for valuing their health before

More-Than-Most
02-23-2018, 04:08 AM
If this is the case, then his reason for not playing is...? To sabotage his own trade value in order to not allow the Spurs a decent return on him over the summer? Just to spite them? Without saying/doing anything to the contrary, this just continues to make him look extremely bad and is tarnishing what was a stellar image.

TBH I dont know why more players dont do this... Lowering your value only helps the team you will be going to

ewing
02-23-2018, 07:23 AM
TBH I dont know why more players dont do this... Lowering your value only helps the team you will be going to

Cause it makes you an ingrateful dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heediot
02-23-2018, 08:17 AM
lol psd = gossip central.

Not going to speculate with incomplete information. There's more to it behind the scenes. I trust Kawhi knows his body.

Vinylman
02-23-2018, 08:39 AM
I am pulling my original offer

deng for KL straight up now... I am tempted to force SA to include a 2nd but I am trying to be reasonable :D

ewing
02-23-2018, 09:44 AM
lol psd = gossip central.

Not going to speculate with incomplete information. There's more to it behind the scenes. I trust Kawhi knows his body.

Yeah, sports forums are no place to speculate

mavwar53
02-23-2018, 10:06 AM

Lmao, the guy is saying ďit would be niceĒ to hear Leonard talk about. Not anything about he has to or he should. Some people are just ignorant I guess.

Heediot
02-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Yeah, sports forums are no place to speculate

i guess you have a point. personally, i try not to judge a situation and tear down a person based off incomplete info.

warfelg
02-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Lmao, the guy is saying ďit would be niceĒ to hear Leonard talk about. Not anything about he has to or he should. Some people are just ignorant I guess.

And I'm saying since he's not required to it doesn't bother me that nothing's being said. Coming from someone where "it would be nice" to hear from plenty of players the last 4 years, it doesn't bother me if he doesn't talk. It's his choice.

Vinylman
02-23-2018, 12:01 PM
The richest aspect of certain posters in this thread ripping on KL is that they defend the big Vagina no matter what.

At least KL isn't a SHE

Jamiecballer
02-23-2018, 06:19 PM
I think this is the start of some of the shine coming off Leonard. Sounds like he might have let a family member get in his ear a little too much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

C-Dub
02-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Jabari and Middleton for Kawhi. #fearthedeer #bucksin6

kdspurman
02-23-2018, 08:07 PM
I think this is the start of some of the shine coming off Leonard. Sounds like he might have let a family member get in his ear a little too much.

I'd take rumors of his uncle or whoever with a grain of salt. He's just not ready to come back and doesn't feel right.

He could come out and speak on it, buts it's not him. It is what it is at this point. I'm sure Pop has a date in mind in which it'll be too late for him to attempt a comeback

KobeOwnSU
02-23-2018, 08:35 PM
Kawhi doesn't want to play for the Spurs anymore. He wants to come home and play in LA. We went to the same HS and my brother had a couple classes with him. They were both in Varsity sports and hung around the same people. Kawhi hiring his uncle was just a start. His mom and aunt still have houses in socal and he was very close to his dad who was murdered when he was in HS. His dad was a huge Lakers fan and always dreamed of Kawhi playing for Lakers.

kdspurman
02-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Kawhi doesn't want to play for the Spurs anymore. He wants to come home and play in LA. We went to the same HS and my brother had a couple classes with him. They were both in Varsity sports and hung around the same people. Kawhi hiring his uncle was just a start. His mom and aunt still have houses in socal and he was very close to his dad who was murdered when he was in HS. His dad was a huge Lakers fan and always dreamed of Kawhi playing for Lakers.

Why didn't he go when he was eligble a few years ago? He signed a 5 year extension in SA.

tredigs
02-23-2018, 09:05 PM
It was interesting/strange that Pop said (paraphrasing), "if he can come back at the end of the year we will have to decide then if it's worth the risk to our chemistry". Who the hell even opens the door to turning down a top 5 player in the game (who is unselfish and knows the system like the back of his hand) unless there is something truly going on between them.

kdspurman
02-23-2018, 09:11 PM
It was interesting/strange that Pop said (paraphrasing), "if he can come back at the end of the year we will have to decide then if it's worth the risk to our chemistry". Who the hell even opens the door to turning down a top 5 player in the game (who is unselfish and knows the system like the back of his hand) unless there is something truly going on between them.

A coach who highly values long term health + continuity & chemistry.

He shut down Timmy for the 2000 playoffs when Timmy was ready to return from the meniscus injury.

KobeOwnSU
02-23-2018, 09:21 PM
Why didn't he go when he was eligble a few years ago? He signed a 5 year extension in SA.He felt loyalty to the Spurs but now he's ready to move on.

SfgiantsJD3
02-23-2018, 09:35 PM
Shaq and Barkley said last night the medical staff doesn't know when you don't feel right, both of them still limping on "medical" staff advice. This is a medical issue, its a I don't feel right / down want to get worse /play hurt issue, not a I don't want to play issue because of some a**nine talking head speculation.

tredigs
02-23-2018, 10:16 PM
A coach who highly values long term health + continuity & chemistry.

He shut down Timmy for the 2000 playoffs when Timmy was ready to return from the meniscus injury.

True. But I think he was concerned about Duncan's future, saw the writing on the table, and adjusted accordingly. This feels different. He said Kawhi is cleared. He says it's a chemistry concern. That's... not nothing.

kdspurman
02-23-2018, 10:38 PM
True. But I think he was concerned about Duncan's future, saw the writing on the table, and adjusted accordingly. This feels different. He said Kawhi is cleared. He says it's a chemistry concern. That's... not nothing.

Yea that was def the case with TD. But TD had also played like most of the season before getting that injury, so from a chemistry standpoint it was a bit different.

Kawhi doesn't feel right, I think Pop doesn't want him to like come back last minute (few games before playoffs) and they have to adjust so much, as the team overall is finally healthy sans Kawhi. Plus Aldridge having a bigger impact, time on the court is important.

If he's not back first week or so of March - Mid March the latest, we may hear Pop actually rule him out for the year.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2018, 10:39 PM
It was interesting/strange that Pop said (paraphrasing), "if he can come back at the end of the year we will have to decide then if it's worth the risk to our chemistry". Who the hell even opens the door to turning down a top 5 player in the game (who is unselfish and knows the system like the back of his hand) unless there is something truly going on between them.I agree, i thought that was extremely telling as well

kdspurman
02-23-2018, 10:40 PM
He felt loyalty to the Spurs but now he's ready to move on.

It'll be interesting if he is willing to turn down the supermax then for that lol. They've made him the face of the franchise and have him in a position where he can be who he is and not have the media hounding him. He is a low key dude, a move to LA seems like a big adjustment for a guy like him.

Vinylman
02-23-2018, 10:42 PM
It'll be interesting if he is willing to turn down the supermax then for that lol. They've made him the face of the franchise and have him in a position where he can be who he is and not have the media hounding him. He is a low key dude, a move to LA seems like a big adjustment for a guy like him.

we promise to take good care of him...

final offer deng/2 2nds for KL

Dengs a great leader... I heard he has been chaperoning his kids field trips

kdspurman
02-23-2018, 10:59 PM
we promise to take good care of him...

final offer deng/2 2nds for KL

Dengs a great leader... I heard he has been chaperoning his kids field trips

I do not want him in purple and gold :laugh2:

I do wonder what Pop would say to that offer tho

FlashBolt
02-24-2018, 03:35 PM
Kawhi doesn't come off as someone who lies about being hurt.. maybe this is a bigger issue and he doesn't want to hurt his chance at a max contract but he's definitely being influenced by his uncle. Pop would not lie about Kawhi's treatment. He will sit his players on a nationally televised game if he has to. Really, I'm not sure who is lying here but it's a tricky situation for sure considering Spurs may get bounced out of the playoffs.. Quite frankly, if Kawhi is not there, I don't think Spurs have much of a chance at making the deep playoff runs. I wonder why Spurs didn't make some trade offers before the trade deadline. Maybe some teams wanted assurance Kawhi was going to be able to play?

Jamiecballer
02-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Mark my words, this will go down - i dont know the contracts that would need to be added but i feel Leonard to Lakers, Lonzo + Lavar to the Spurs. Both teams will be boxed into a corner this off-season and if there is an organization strong enough to silence Lavar or put him in his place it's San Antonio.

NYKnickFanatic
02-24-2018, 11:50 PM
Never would happen but I would love to see Kawhi play alongside KP. :drool:

R. Johnson#3
02-25-2018, 12:13 AM
Kawhi to the Raps!

kdspurman
02-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Mark my words, this will go down - i dont know the contracts that would need to be added but i feel Leonard to Lakers, Lonzo + Lavar to the Spurs. Both teams will be boxed into a corner this off-season and if there is an organization strong enough to silence Lavar or put him in his place it's San Antonio.

:puke:

Jamiecballer
02-25-2018, 04:00 PM
:puke:Hey a year from now you may wish you got that deal. ***** gone south.

Giannis94
02-25-2018, 09:55 PM
I wonder if a Jabari and the reigning ROY would get it done for kawhi. They don't NEED kawhi anyway.

kdspurman
02-25-2018, 10:42 PM
Hey a year from now you may wish you got that deal. ***** gone south.

Not at all. There's no way Pop would want Lavar and his distraction's there. Like less than a 0% chance

warfelg
02-25-2018, 11:50 PM
One idea that's been floated around Sixer land is: Fultz, RoCo, Saric, and the LAL/SAC pick that doesn't go to Boston.

Giannis94
02-26-2018, 12:04 AM
One idea that's been floated around Sixer land is: Fultz, RoCo, Saric, and the LAL/SAC pick that doesn't go to Boston.

A few solid role players, a lottery ticket and a late first. Not a bad offer. Actually pretty solid.. Just depends if any other team is willing to get a star for him (booker, Murray, etc)

GREATNESS ONE
02-26-2018, 12:19 AM

Swoooooooop!

Saddletramp
02-26-2018, 03:43 AM

I can only imagine what Popovich could do with RoCo and Saric. And I'm assuming Fultz can be a stud there, too.

kdspurman
02-26-2018, 07:09 PM
Yea that was def the case with TD. But TD had also played like most of the season before getting that injury, so from a chemistry standpoint it was a bit different.

Kawhi doesn't feel right, I think Pop doesn't want him to like come back last minute (few games before playoffs) and they have to adjust so much, as the team overall is finally healthy sans Kawhi. Plus Aldridge having a bigger impact, time on the court is important.

If he's not back first week or so of March - Mid March the latest, we may hear Pop actually rule him out for the year.

And per Michael C. Wright, he's back with the team trying to return in March.

Healthy (hopefully), rested, and wanting that super max. I hope we get a super hungry Kawhi come playoff time.

Vee-Rex
02-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Sucks how people were ready to trash Kawhi without knowing the story one bit. Just salivating at any kind of negativity. You don't know what is wrong with that man. I know if this was LeBron all we'd ever hear from his haters is how he's taking a vacation.

I hope Kawhi comes back and dominates the playoffs and sign a max extension when his contract is up. Pipe that noise down a bit.

Scoots
02-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Sucks how people were ready to trash Kawhi without knowing the story one bit. Just salivating at any kind of negativity. You don't know what is wrong with that man. I know if this was LeBron all we'd ever hear from his haters is how he's taking a vacation.

I hope Kawhi comes back and dominates the playoffs and sign a max extension when his contract is up. Pipe that noise down a bit.

Welcome to the social media/24 hour news era where everything might be made a big deal.

Jamiecballer
02-26-2018, 08:42 PM
And per Michael C. Wright, he's back with the team trying to return in March.

Healthy (hopefully), rested, and wanting that super max. I hope we get a super hungry Kawhi come playoff time.Sounds to me like Leonard got the message. Smart man.

kdspurman
02-27-2018, 11:23 AM

People love to create the juicy stories. Him not feeling right physically, and being hesitant to return, turned into him not being happy the Spurs don't get big named FA's, or he wants to play in LA, or he quit on his team and won't play till he's traded, etc...

kdspurman
02-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Sounds to me like Leonard got the message. Smart man.

No doubt Pop's quote was pretty indirectly direct. Glad he's back with the team for the stretch run

Giannis94
02-27-2018, 11:53 AM
No doubt Pop's quote was pretty indirectly direct. Glad he's back with the team for the stretch run

heyyy why is your name in organge? do you have more power than scoots?

One Nut Kruk
02-27-2018, 01:10 PM

This. I also find it funny how many people actually thought he wasnít going to come back.

kdspurman
02-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Kawhi has been in touch with teammates, so he hasn't been awol and/or keeping everyone in the dark like it was made out to be.

kdspurman
02-27-2018, 05:17 PM
heyyy why is your name in organge? do you have more power than scoots?

We have different "titles" in this PSD world (hence the different colors), but we're doing the same things.

Jamiecballer
02-27-2018, 05:40 PM
I'm with tredigs on this one. If you want some control over how something is perceived you have to open your mouth instead of going ghost.

kdspurman
02-27-2018, 05:56 PM
I'm with tredigs on this one. If you want some control over how something is perceived you have to open your mouth instead of going ghost.

I don't think Kawhi wants/cares about that tho. He kept his teammates informed as well as Pop and Co.

Vee-Rex
02-27-2018, 06:02 PM
I don't think Kawhi wants/cares about that tho. He kept his teammates informed as well as Pop and Co.

This.

Not to mention, I think these guys want to stay focused on the game and their own health. Once you start getting caught up in every single thing the media has to say about you, it's easy to lose focus. Cause if they're gonna respond to all this stuff then they'll be commenting 4235098243 times a day just to media dudes whose jobs are to get clicks and responses.

Best to keep your own teammates/coach informed and ignore the media noise.

One Nut Kruk
02-27-2018, 06:34 PM

And this is all that matters. Fans can whine all they want. They arenít owed anything when it comes to something like this.

Jamiecballer
02-27-2018, 07:18 PM
And this is all that matters. Fans can whine all they want. They arenít owed anything when it comes to something like this.No, of course not. You could argue that in this day and age if you care about your reputation (which you may be right perhaps he doesn't) that it is better for your own sake to put something out there before the talking heads do. Case in point.

You are wrong btw if you think this has anything to do with fans feeling like they are owed something, i dont get the sense anybody feels that way at all.

warfelg
02-27-2018, 08:20 PM
And this is all that matters. Fans can whine all they want. They arenít owed anything when it comes to something like this.

Exactly. In the age of oversharing the guy who only says whatís needed is vilified. Pre-Twitter him not saying anything isnít a story.

kdspurman
03-07-2018, 01:54 PM
For those who wanted Kawhi to speak, he has spoken:

FlashBolt
03-07-2018, 07:10 PM
For those who wanted Kawhi to speak, he has spoken:

That seems like a lot of talking for Kawhi... fake news...

kdspurman
03-07-2018, 08:13 PM

kdspurman
03-07-2018, 08:14 PM
That seems like a lot of talking for Kawhi... fake news...

It definitely is :laugh2:

But when you consider these guys have had questions for Kawhi for months, it puts things in perspective a bit