PDA

View Full Version : Best Player of All-Time At Their Peak (#17)

valade16
02-21-2018, 06:28 PM
So we do a “top 25 greatest players of all-time list” here on PSD, but I wanted to do a best, not greatest list.

What is the difference?

This is NOT a list that measures a players career or accolades, it is simply a list of, if all the players were in their peak/in their prime/at their best/etc. and all in a draft, who would you take first on your team.

Current List

1. Michael Jordan
2. LeBron James
T3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
T3. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Shaquille O’Neal
6. Magic Johnson
7. Larry Bird
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Tim Duncan
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Steph Curry
12. Moses Malone
13. Tracy McGrady
14. Bill Walton
15. Kevin Durant
16. Jerry West

Redrum187
02-21-2018, 09:05 PM
Dirk Nowitzki

1.) He won his MVP in a time Duncan, LeBron, and Kobe were in their prime. That's 3 top 10 players of all time. He's also beaten each of them in the playoffs having either Jason Terry or Josh Howard as his Robin. Each player's team he beat also had a noticeably superior team.

2.) Comparing Dirk to Wade head-to-head, Dirk has always had the far inferior team. When they met in 2006, Dirk had DeSagana Diop/Eric Dampier as his center(s)... Wade had an impactful Shaq. Compare their 2006 roster and you'll wonder what in the **ck the Mavericks were even doing in the Finals... Dirk carried them, even won the first 2 games in the Finals before the referees, who were specifically mentioned by Tim Donaghy as placing bets on several Finals games including 2006, decided to hand the championship over to Miami. If we give credit to Wade for 2006, it's undeserving... He had the superior squad and the referees on his side.

Even if we decided to ignore the referees and Wade's superior squad, Wade in the 2006 playoffs, was not as dominant as Dirk in the 2011 playoffs. Let me remind you, that is the year Dirk and Jason Terry (his Robin) beat Miami's 3-headed monster of prime LeBron, prime Bosh, and prime Wade. Yes... Wade was still in his prime that year. Dirk even had a 102 degree fever, was mocked by Wade and LeBron, and still Dirk lead the Mavericks to victory that game. This is also not taking away Dirk's regular season numbers... he was great there, he is just in a short list of players who upped his game to an entirely different level in the playoffs.

Easily Dirk > Wade.

3.) KG is a bit underrated, I'll admit. He had some insane defense and good offense. Dirk and KG's regular season can be debated and I wouldn't feel bad if someone said KG's regular season was better than Dirk. It's essentially a wash... but when we factor in the playoffs, this becomes much less of a debate. KG isn't on the same tier as Dirk when we exclusively talk about playoffs. I'm sure most of you were alive and watching them play in their peak.

YAALREADYKNO
02-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Kg for the reason I said in the last thread

Vallejo Raiders
02-21-2018, 10:13 PM
I'll hold my vote so if wade is tied I can insure he doesn't get in. Seriously.

Vallejo Raiders
02-21-2018, 10:15 PM
I'd vote for Jerry West again LOL

Vallejo Raiders
02-21-2018, 10:49 PM
bro I was playing lol.

mightybosstone
02-21-2018, 10:49 PM
I'd vote for Jerry West again LOL

This guy's vote clearly shouldn't count either way. I think we ought to implement the old "you have to have at least 100 posts" rule to prevent this from happening. This definitely strikes me as a throwaway account.

Vallejo Raiders
02-21-2018, 10:50 PM
I'd say laker fans shouldn't vote. Kobe over Curry is sad.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-21-2018, 11:05 PM
This guy's vote clearly shouldn't count either way. I think we ought to implement the old "you have to have at least 100 posts" rule to prevent this from happening. This definitely strikes me as a throwaway account.

Wonder whose dupe he could be.

I stopped participating in these after Moses was picked ahead of PRIME Wade. Pretty clear there's something against him on these boards.

mightybosstone
02-21-2018, 11:26 PM

I stopped participating in these after Moses was picked ahead of PRIME Wade. Pretty clear there's something against him on these boards.

The T-Mac vote killed it for me. I'm OK with most of the other guys on this list. But Kobe went about 8-10 spots too high and T-Mac went about 10-15 spots too high.

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Lolz Kobe went 5 spot too late, little mini man Curry would get owned by Kobe on the court. 1v1 wouldn’t even be a challenge, Kobe would lock him up and own him in ge post. 11-6

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2018, 11:42 PM

Everyone has their agenda, it’s hilarious,

WaDe03
02-21-2018, 11:45 PM
I'll say it again, Wade should've been 10th. Just adds to my case that he's one of the most underappreciated all time greats we've ever seen. Guys will literally say anything to discredit the GOAT. Gets literally no credit for anything.

06 - Refs
12 & 13 - LeBron carried him

Every other year - injured or couldn't carry scrubs to a ring.

WaDe03
02-21-2018, 11:46 PM
Lolz Kobe went 5 spot too late, little mini man Curry would get owned by Kobe on the court. 1v1 wouldn’t even be a challenge, Kobe would lock him up and own him in ge post. 11-6

Kobe would **** on Curry

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2018, 11:47 PM
Voting Wade. How is he not taken yet? Oh right.

jaydubb
02-22-2018, 12:18 AM
Psd seriously has some of the most idiotic nba fans I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 12:18 AM

Last time I checked, the NBA wasn't a 1 on 1 game. Kobe never really got that memo, unfortunately.

GREATNESS ONE
02-22-2018, 01:10 AM
Yea he sure didn’t, just helped will his way to 5 NBA Titles > 2 all time Titles Rockets.... ;)

YAALREADYKNO
02-22-2018, 01:55 AM
PSD Hates kobe Man lol

lebron in the 15 finals 35ppg on 39% shooting “that was a heroic performance he didn’t have anybody”

Kobe 35ppg in the 05-06 season on 45% “overrated only shot 45% not even that great he’s a ball hog chucker” or some other excuse to discount kobe lmao

Vallejo Raiders
02-22-2018, 02:33 AM
Kobe is the best player from my generation hands down. With that being said what Curry can do offensively just makes him better. If Kobe had Currys efficiency (Wet Dream) not a Dupe account. Nice try fuzz lol. have been a PSD reader since like 09 though.

ewing
02-22-2018, 06:13 AM
PSD Hates kobe Man lol

lebron in the 15 finals 35ppg on 39% shooting “that was a heroic performance he didn’t have anybody”

Kobe 35ppg in the 05-06 season on 45% “overrated only shot 45% not even that great he’s a ball hog chucker” or some other excuse to discount kobe lmao

These kids grew up with and buy the fake news. Stay woke

ewing
02-22-2018, 06:14 AM
the fact that Russell is a choice and not taken yet is a total joke.

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Yea he sure didn’t, just helped will his way to 5 NBA Titles > 2 all time Titles Rockets.... ;)

PSD Hates kobe Man lol

Kobe is the best player from my generation hands down. With that being said what Curry can do offensively just makes him better. If Kobe had Currys efficiency (Wet Dream) not a Dupe account. Nice try fuzz lol. have been a PSD reader since like 09 though.

Jesus Kobe fans are sensitive. Look, I've already gone over this, but I'll do it one more time for your benefits. Kobe Bryant is my No. 11 all-time guy. He's right there with Magic, Bird and Russell in that 8-11 conversation for me, and I have a ton of respect for him and his accomplishments as a player. When your professional sport spans over 60 years, there's no shame in being 11th in an all-time conversation.

That being said, this isn't that conversation. We're talking peak production here, and that's not the strength of Kobe's all-time resume. He wasn't an especially efficient scorer and didn't boast the same gaudy all-around stats as other similar wing players. Frankly, his peak advanced numbers in both the regular season and postseason pale in comparison to a lot of wings.

That's why he went far too high. He belonged somewhere in the 15-20 conversation.

Jamiecballer
02-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Jesus Kobe fans are sensitive. Look, I've already gone over this, but I'll do it one more time for your benefits. Kobe Bryant is my No. 11 all-time guy. He's right there with Magic, Bird and Russell in that 8-11 conversation for me, and I have a ton of respect for him and his accomplishments as a player. When your professional sport spans over 60 years, there's no shame in being 11th in an all-time conversation.

That being said, this isn't that conversation. We're talking peak production here, and that's not the strength of Kobe's all-time resume. He wasn't an especially efficient scorer and didn't boast the same gaudy all-around stats as other similar wing players. Frankly, his peak advanced numbers in both the regular season and postseason pale in comparison to a lot of wings.

That's why he went far too high. He belonged somewhere in the 15-20 conversation.Thats a very solid concise explanation. He was never the best player in the NBA but near the top for a long time.

During the early to mid 2000's it was a real conversation who was better Garnett or Duncan which is why i'm a little puzzled at how little support he has gotten.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Jamiecballer
02-22-2018, 09:49 AM
the fact that Russell is a choice and not taken yet is a total joke.Honest question, since we have a history of giving each other a hard time. This is not one of those times.

What is the appeal of Russell for you when you dont seem to respect Garnetts all-around game? They are not the same player of course but KG excelled in some of the ways Russell did but basically was the centrepiece on both offense and defense in his prime

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Thats a very solid concise explanation. He was never the best player in the NBA but near the top for a long time.

During the early to mid 2000's it was a real conversation who was better Garnett or Duncan which is why i'm a little puzzled at how little support he has gotten.

I'm kinda "meh" on KG in this conversation to be honest with you. His problem is that his postseason success didn't coincide with his peak seasons in Minnesota. And his numbers in the playoffs are just so pedestrian compared with the monster numbers he posted in the regular season. Personally, if I were picking a PF here, I'd easily go Barkley over KG. He was the superior offensive player and far more productive in the playoffs at his peak. Hell, if we're talking peak, I might have to consider Dirk over KG as well.

That being said, I'd like to see Wade or Oscar go here. Both guys were clearly better than McGrady at their peaks and should belong in the same conversation with West, so it seems fair that they should go in the same grouping.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Dirk Nowitzki

1.) He won his MVP in a time Duncan, LeBron, and Kobe were in their prime. That's 3 top 10 players of all time. He's also beaten each of them in the playoffs having either Jason Terry or Josh Howard as his Robin. Each player's team he beat also had a noticeably superior team.

2.) Comparing Dirk to Wade head-to-head, Dirk has always had the far inferior team. When they met in 2006, Dirk had DeSagana Diop/Eric Dampier as his center(s)... Wade had an impactful Shaq. Compare their 2006 roster and you'll wonder what in the **ck the Mavericks were even doing in the Finals... Dirk carried them, even won the first 2 games in the Finals before the referees, who were specifically mentioned by Tim Donaghy as placing bets on several Finals games including 2006, decided to hand the championship over to Miami. If we give credit to Wade for 2006, it's undeserving... He had the superior squad and the referees on his side.

Even if we decided to ignore the referees and Wade's superior squad, Wade in the 2006 playoffs, was not as dominant as Dirk in the 2011 playoffs. Let me remind you, that is the year Dirk and Jason Terry (his Robin) beat Miami's 3-headed monster of prime LeBron, prime Bosh, and prime Wade. Yes... Wade was still in his prime that year. Dirk even had a 102 degree fever, was mocked by Wade and LeBron, and still Dirk lead the Mavericks to victory that game. This is also not taking away Dirk's regular season numbers... he was great there, he is just in a short list of players who upped his game to an entirely different level in the playoffs.

Easily Dirk > Wade.

3.) KG is a bit underrated, I'll admit. He had some insane defense and good offense. Dirk and KG's regular season can be debated and I wouldn't feel bad if someone said KG's regular season was better than Dirk. It's essentially a wash... but when we factor in the playoffs, this becomes much less of a debate. KG isn't on the same tier as Dirk when we exclusively talk about playoffs. I'm sure most of you were alive and watching them play in their peak.

I hate this post because it's so articulate and rational. :laugh: But I still disagree. Also aren't we missing the point of the thread? Can't I say that Dirk's 2011 season was better than Kevin Garnett's 2004 season but that I still would rather have Garnett?

KnicksorBust
02-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Good thing you aren't participating... just posting in the thread and complaining.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Psd seriously has some of the most idiotic nba fans I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'll never understand people who come into a thread just to cry. Do you have an argument for #17? If not there are plenty of other threads man. Have a good day.

ewing
02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Honest question, since we have a history of giving each other a hard time. This is not one of those times.

What is the appeal of Russell for you when you dont seem to respect Garnetts all-around game? They are not the same player of course but KG excelled in some of the ways Russell did but basically was the centrepiece on both offense and defense in his prime

I never saw Bill Russel play but we put him on the list and he won the league's MVP award in 61,62,63, and 65. He also won championships every year. That's a peak. KG was a really good player that lost and often played poorly when needed most. I know you love the guy but that is a big difference. Also best part of KGs game was that he was a really good versatile defender but he wasn't what we are told Russell was on D. He wasn't a game changer by himself like Russell supposedly was. He was a great cog. Russell was supposed be Mount Mutombo inside with the ability to cover twice the ground. I don't think KG was ever the best player in the league honestly. I think his big numbers years were are overrated in terms of impact and i think team performance supports that. Honestly, I think him and Derek Rose were the two worst picks for MVP since I started watching basketball. Also I do rank other players very high bc of there all around game. I love Timmy and J Kidd for that reason. I just don’t think KGs all around game was as impactful to winning as you do

KnicksorBust
02-22-2018, 12:57 PM
the fact that Russell is a choice and not taken yet is a total joke.

I think one of the biggest reasons why Russell gets hosed in these discussions is that he doesn't have a modern day comparison. "Wilt Chamberlain was so strong and he dominated in the post. Who would win Wilt vs. Shaq?" "Jerry West was a great ball handler/shooter/defender and he was clutch. Who was better West or Kobe?"

That's easy to do. Who is Russell? Is he a better offensive Mutombo/Rodman? Does that even do him justice?

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Wade is much better than Dirk and KG is Wades *****.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 01:18 PM
I feel pretty confident saying Russell wouldn't be a top 5 player if he was in his peak in the NBA right now.

LeBron
KD
Curry
Harden
Kawhi

ewing
02-22-2018, 03:04 PM
I feel pretty confident saying Russell wouldn't be a top 5 player if he was in his peak in the NBA right now.

LeBron
KD
Curry
Harden
Kawhi

I feel pretty confident Matt Harvey could strikeout Babe Ruth [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 03:44 PM
I feel pretty confident Matt Harvey could strikeout Babe Ruth [emoji106]

Seriously though, if Russell were in his prime playing in the league right now would he be better than any of those guys? He wouldn't even be the best Russell with Russell Westbrook in the league.

ewing
02-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Seriously though, if Russell were in his prime playing in the league right now would he be better than any of those guys? He wouldn't even be the best Russell with Russell Westbrook in the league.

I have no idea

Chronz
02-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Good thing you aren't participating... just posting in the thread and complaining.

I'll never understand people who come into a thread just to cry. Do you have an argument for #17? If not there are plenty of other threads man. Have a good day.
I've yet to vote but still participating.

They ***** because they exist

Chronz
02-22-2018, 05:14 PM
If wade played back then he lasts 3 years max

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 05:21 PM
If wade played back then he lasts 3 years max

You always say this for some reason but it makes no sense. He would be considered the GOAT if he played back then.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 05:28 PM
You put Wade on those Celtics teams and he weighs the most on the team and is easily the strongest player. He would've just straight bullied teams back then. Would've been the faster and strongest player in the league, would've been just like LeBron was in his prime in the current NBA but would more than likely put up more ridiculous numbers.

Name the last all star center that was 6'10 215.

Chronz
02-22-2018, 05:42 PM
You always say this for some reason but it makes no sense. He would be considered the GOAT if he played back then.
Sure it do. Dude couldn't stay healthy today, how's he gon last in converse, dead spot courts, inferior medical conditioning and pay, stricter dribbling rules, lack of superstar calls etc... Dude would have to develop some kind of jumper

Chronz
02-22-2018, 05:43 PM
You put Wade on those Celtics teams and he weighs the most on the team and is easily the strongest player. He would've just straight bullied teams back then. Would've been the faster and strongest player in the league, would've been just like LeBron was in his prime in the current NBA but would more than likely put up more ridiculous numbers.

Not even close. Wade couldn't guard Shaq, follow history from that fact

ewing
02-22-2018, 05:46 PM

Marcus Camby

Chronz
02-22-2018, 05:47 PM
Lmfao, how's wade gon bulk up that way in those days anyways? inferior drugs too You know. Even granting him his strength, is he the only one who can stay healthy without caring for the realities of that era? Is he the only one allowed to Palm the ball too? Wade would get decked if he tried that **** back then

Chronz
02-22-2018, 05:51 PM

LeBron
KD
Curry
Harden
Kawhi
Aside from LeBron, all have left too many questions for such consideration. Tmac ***** on all of them and he doesn't come before russell

valade16
02-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Sure it do. Dude couldn't stay healthy today, how's he gon last in converse, dead spot courts, inferior medical conditioning and pay, stricter dribbling rules, lack of superstar calls etc... Dude would have to develop some kind of jumper

A LOT of players today would struggle acclimating to the dribbling rules back then. Everybody palms the ball today. Conversely, I wonder how much more freedom guys like Big O or West would have with today’s dribbling rules.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Aside from LeBron, all have left too many questions for such consideration. Tmac ***** on all of them and he doesn't come before russell

All of those guys are better than Russell. I'm talking pure basketball. If you had to start a team you would take all of them over Russell.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 06:38 PM

Does he tear his meniscus back then and have it removed? If not there's no problem.

europagnpilgrim
02-22-2018, 06:42 PM
I'll say it again, Wade should've been 10th. Just adds to my case that he's one of the most underappreciated all time greats we've ever seen. Guys will literally say anything to discredit the GOAT. Gets literally no credit for anything.

06 - Refs
12 & 13 - LeBron carried him

Every other year - injured or couldn't carry scrubs to a ring.

it was more so the Mavs choked out of a possible 3-0 lead and they were like a 65-67 win type squad for that stretch, and even you have to admit the refs were horrible, yea Wade was in attack/mid range game mode but some of those calls were ticky tack or Wade just throwing his body into a player in the air, but Wade did get the job done so he gets credit for that,major, and we all know Lebron carried that team seeing that he won 2 mvps and I think finished runner up the other 2 seasons, Wade was good for the 11' season and then the injury bug ht once again and basically put the nail in the coffin, aka Lebron went back to the Land

the year before Bron/Bosh got there what seed were they? 7th or 8th? and then went to Finals next season, it had to do a lot more with Bron than Bosh, they would not have been holding a press conference talking about not 1 not 2 and so on if they would have signed Bosh and J Johnson, it was the Bron effect for the bulk share, of course Wade deserves credit as well since he was the champ already and Bron came to WadeCounty

its a reason why I called Wade a bigger version of AI, M Jackson agrees as well

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Lmfao, how's wade gon bulk up that way in those days anyways? inferior drugs too You know. Even granting him his strength, is he the only one who can stay healthy without caring for the realities of that era? Is he the only one allowed to Palm the ball too? Wade would get decked if he tried that **** back then

You take the players size and skills as is. That what I mean by dropping them in that era.

It would honestly look like a high school player playing on the middle school team, Wade would be so much faster and stronger than those guys. He would for sure be considered the GOAT. You're definitely overhyping his palming the ball, are you talking about his swim through move? It's 2 steps but they can hack him if they want, it would do more damage to them than him.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 06:44 PM
A LOT of players today would struggle acclimating to the dribbling rules back then. Everybody palms the ball today. Conversely, I wonder how much more freedom guys like Big O or West would have with today’s dribbling rules.

It's really not that hard of a change honestly, it's definitely being overblown.

WaDe03
02-22-2018, 06:46 PM
Marcus Camby

He's pretty close lol, good company for Russell I suppose.

Chronz
02-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Does he tear his meniscus back then and have it removed? If not there's no problem.
****, he's prolly done in college then

valade16
02-22-2018, 08:19 PM
It's really not that hard of a change honestly, it's definitely being overblown.

Phyisically they could make the switch, but mentally? They’ve played their entire lives this way and to suddenly have to change that, they’d get a LOT of travelling calls and carries until they forced themselves not to.

Chronz
02-22-2018, 08:21 PM
You take the players size and skills as is. That what I mean by dropping them in that era.

It would honestly look like a high school player playing on the middle school team, Wade would be so much faster and stronger than those guys. He would for sure be considered the GOAT. You're definitely overhyping his palming the ball, are you talking about his swim through move? It's 2 steps but they can hack him if they want, it would do more damage to them than him.

No you don't, why does wade and wade alone get all these impossible benefits? Even granting you his strength, it's still not enough and there's nothing honest about your comparison unless Kareem is a baby (follow history from there). Wade is great but I'm not talking about him, I'm talking about ALL perimeter players, even the simplest of crossovers was carrying back then man. You don't notice how the league has by and large helped perimeter players today after decades on tinkering and making the game harder for bigs?

GREATNESS ONE
02-22-2018, 08:34 PM

Or it just sounds like *****ing to .......

ChiSox219
02-23-2018, 12:20 AM
It's weird to see Walton and soon Dirk so high on this list. Those guys were always fringe first round picks in the all-time redrafts.

KG shouldve gone a few spots earlier

More-Than-Most
02-23-2018, 04:11 AM
KG should be where Kobe is and Kobe should be 15-20th at best.

ewing
02-23-2018, 07:07 AM
He's pretty close lol, good company for Russell I suppose.

I didn’t realize we were comparing bodies. Can I can my vote to Larry Johnson?

bagwell368
02-23-2018, 09:08 AM

How many times was Kobe on a team when he was clearly the best player? My scorecard says 1. Kobe gets boku credit for defensive studness in the playoffs - not a common thing among many of the top 25 all time. But his volume scoring and solo offensive game is counter to the way I like teams and players playing.

ewing
02-23-2018, 10:56 AM
I'm just pointing out he would get bullied by the bigs today and in the 80s-90s.

You have no idea if that is true

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 10:57 AM

I'm just pointing out he would get bullied by the bigs today and in the 80s-90s.

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 10:59 AM
No you don't, why does wade and wade alone get all these impossible benefits? Even granting you his strength, it's still not enough and there's nothing honest about your comparison unless Kareem is a baby (follow history from there). Wade is great but I'm not talking about him, I'm talking about ALL perimeter players, even the simplest of crossovers was carrying back then man. You don't notice how the league has by and large helped perimeter players today after decades on tinkering and making the game harder for bigs?

Impossible benefits how? When you compare players you compare what they are not what they could've been. Russell literally only has height on Wade. Physically wade has him beat everywhere else and skill wise he's far superior.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2018, 11:19 AM
KG should be where Kobe is and Kobe should be 15-20th at best.Could not agree more

mightybosstone
02-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Man, some of you guys are really overrating KG. Does no one remember how mediocre he was in the postseason until he got to Boston? And I'm not talking about team success, I'm talking about his own individual performance over that time.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Man, some of you guys are really overrating KG. Does no one remember how mediocre he was in the postseason until he got to Boston? And I'm not talking about team success, I'm talking about his own individual performance over that time.I just posted on this in the other ranking thread

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 11:51 AM
You have no idea if that is true

I actually do, Wade weighs more and is stronger than Bill Russell but he would have no chance of guarding Cousins in the paint. Russell is a feather to the elite centers of today and the 80s-90s. He may be able to do a decent job on the bigs who don't bang as much but you have him guard Cousins, Shaq, Hakeem, etc and he is getting bullied very easily.

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 11:52 AM
Man, some of you guys are really overrating KG. Does no one remember how mediocre he was in the postseason until he got to Boston? And I'm not talking about team success, I'm talking about his own individual performance over that time.

They go by hype, KGs cool because he's a fake tough guy, TMac is cool, AI is cool (I'm surprised he isn't being mentioned yet), hell Penny might come up soon.

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Russell is literally smaller than PG Giannis and KD.

Chronz
02-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Impossible benefits how? When you compare players you compare what they are not what they could've been. Russell literally only has height on Wade. Physically wade has him beat everywhere else and skill wise he's far superior.
Cuz he struggled with his health in the era of superior medicine and training regimens. How the **** is he gonna hold up with inferior equipment, courts. Lemme guess, wade gets new era refs while everyone else gets their era refs.

Physically wade doesn't compare too favorably, dude isn't stronger than russ and you couldn't just run through people back then so your point is moot regardless. You didn't do your homework, if wade was that strong he'd be able to guard centers. You do realize that arguably the strongest player to ever live played in that era, right. So how come Russell slowed him down if he was weaker than a midget like wade?

Skill wise? Lmfao, dude never learned how to shoot and his carries would be called all the time back then. Dude couldn't stay healthy playing against children in today's world, he's gon hit the deck every 3 minutes in that era

Chronz
02-23-2018, 01:24 PM
But again why are we so obsessed with a couple of games sample size. Look at the impact he could have on the game on both ends. Passing, scoring, rebounding, defense.
Because they're the most important of samples and it remains statistically significant

Chronz
02-23-2018, 01:25 PM
Russell is literally smaller than PG Giannis and KD.
Paul George? Lol, how tall do you think Russell is?

KnicksorBust
02-23-2018, 01:26 PM

But again why are we so obsessed with a couple of games sample size. Look at the impact he could have on the game on both ends. Passing, scoring, rebounding, defense.

Chronz
02-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Great quote. Who do you leave out of the top 20? KG/Dirk/Wade/Barkley/D-Rob/Oscar?
The more I think about it, the more I lean wade. Overly reliant on his era, never developed his skill set and was a coward defensively in that he rarely demanded the defensive assignment on stars. I still remember old man Payton checking Kobe when it should have been wade. Can't stretch the floor, doesn't check the opposing star, just athletic af in a friendly era

Chronz
02-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Think of it this way, wade couldn't stretch the floor even by old school standards

KnicksorBust
02-23-2018, 01:28 PM

Great quote. Who do you leave out of the top 20? KG/Dirk/Wade/Barkley/D-Rob/Oscar?

KnicksorBust
02-23-2018, 01:29 PM
BTW just caught that jerry west is still in the poll

Chronz
02-23-2018, 01:33 PM

I'll take Corey Maggette

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Cuz he struggled with his health in the era of superior medicine and training regimens. How the **** is he gonna hold up with inferior equipment, courts. Lemme guess, wade gets new era refs while everyone else gets their era refs.

Physically wade doesn't compare too favorably, dude isn't stronger than russ and you couldn't just run through people back then so your point is moot regardless. You didn't do your homework, if wade was that strong he'd be able to guard centers. You do realize that arguably the strongest player to ever live played in that era, right. So how come Russell slowed him down if he was weaker than a midget like wade?

Skill wise? Lmfao, dude never learned how to shoot and his carries would be called all the time back then. Dude couldn't stay healthy playing against children in today's world, he's gon hit the deck every 3 minutes in that era

If he doesn't tear his menisicus and have it removed health isnt an issue. That's a freak injury.

He's for sure stronger the Russell, 6 inches shorter but weighs more means much more muscle.

Skills aren't even close, get the hell out of here with that overhyped carry BS and just because he never needs to develop a 3 doesn't mean he isn't skilled. His mid range and post game are very good and when he actually decides to shoot 3s he's decent, he just never needed to because no one could stop him from doing what he wanted.

There are tons of players stronger than Wilt.

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Paul George? Lol, how tall do you think Russell is?

He's 6'10 215

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Think of it this way, wade couldn't stretch the floor even by old school standards

He didn't need to stretch the floor, he literally couldn't be guarded.

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 01:45 PM
The more I think about it, the more I lean wade. Overly reliant on his era, never developed his skill set and was a coward defensively in that he rarely demanded the defensive assignment on stars. I still remember old man Payton checking Kobe when it should have been wade. Can't stretch the floor, doesn't check the opposing star, just athletic af in a friendly era

Posts like this show you don't know a damn thing about Wade. Never developed his skill set? Lmao!

The only people overly reliant on their era are the old guys like Russell. He wouldn't be hyped up much if he played today.

ewing
02-23-2018, 02:03 PM
I actually do, Wade weighs more and is stronger than Bill Russell but he would have no chance of guarding Cousins in the paint. Russell is a feather to the elite centers of today and the 80s-90s. He may be able to do a decent job on the bigs who don't bang as much but you have him guard Cousins, Shaq, Hakeem, etc and he is getting bullied very easily.

Did you watch them arm wrestle? All you know is he was skinny. Remember Rodman checking Shaq. He did a lot better job then most guys 3 inches taller and 60 lbs heavier. Russel was said to do a good job on Wilt and Wilt was every bit the monster that todays centers are. Plus the league is downsizing at the 5 right now. Some people think KD is the best rim protector on the league. Russell was a track star his length and speed would be huge assets right now

ewing
02-23-2018, 02:09 PM

B/c the best step up

More-Than-Most
02-23-2018, 04:31 PM

:clap:

Chronz
02-23-2018, 06:01 PM
If he doesn't tear his menisicus and have it removed health isnt an issue. That's a freak injury.

He's for sure stronger the Russell, 6 inches shorter but weighs more means much more muscle.

Skills aren't even close, get the hell out of here with that overhyped carry BS and just because he never needs to develop a 3 doesn't mean he isn't skilled. His mid range and post game are very good and when he actually decides to shoot 3s he's decent, he just never needed to because no one could stop him from doing what he wanted.

There are tons of players stronger than Wilt.
Freak injury in an era like that? Lol I love how your argument has now devolved into taking away wades injury, like how many more futuristic advantages are you gonna give him? In a few decades when stem cell research reaches its conclusion, are you gonna argue wade never suffers an injury or is it only cool to dick with time when its relatable to you?

Lmfao who is stronger than Wilt?

Chronz
02-23-2018, 06:02 PM
Posts like this show you don't know a damn thing about Wade. Never developed his skill set? Lmao!

The only people overly reliant on their era are the old guys like Russell. He wouldn't be hyped up much if he played today.

Lmfao is fun

Based on what tho?

Chronz
02-23-2018, 06:05 PM
He didn't need to stretch the floor, he literally couldn't be guarded.

If you're still thinking about your singular player then you completely miss the point of spacing and its influence on the court for the TEAM. I've seen wade struggle plenty because teams didn't give a **** if he shot

Chronz
02-23-2018, 06:09 PM
He's 6'10 215

At least you got his height around the right area, easily listed at 6 11 today. But 215? What kind of research have you done?

Shammyguy3
02-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Freak injury in an era like that? Lol I love how your argument has now devolved into taking away wades injury, like how many more futuristic advantages are you gonna give him? In a few decades when stem cell research reaches its conclusion, are you gonna argue wade never suffers an injury or is it only cool to dick with time when its relatable to you?

Lmfao who is stronger than Wilt?

Only Nate Robinson (at least pound for pound, he is the human dung beetle!).

Seriously though, guys that may have been on that level of strength could be Ben Wallace, Alonzo Mourning, David Robinson, Dwight Howard, Karl Malone, Shaq, Nate Thurmond?

Chronz
02-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Only Nate Robinson (at least pound for pound, he is the human dung beetle!).

Seriously though, guys that may have been on that level of strength could be Ben Wallace, Alonzo Mourning, David Robinson, Dwight Howard, Karl Malone, Shaq, Nate Thurmond?
Yes we can name them but have you listened to players speak on who the strongest players are? Sure they have biases but you can parse it all out. There's an eventual lineage that is hard to dismiss.

Break it down by era and follow the chain. Just as an example of this train of thought, notably absent from your list is artis gilmore, someone a hof like parish named as the strongest player he's ever faced. Keep in mind the many decades parish played, keep in mind how many aba players corroborated this opinion. I know parish didn't play against peak Shaq but who else is even in that realm? Even a young Shaq was one of the most powerful players we've ever seen and even that wasnt enough for him to concede. So who's left that parish didn't experience... Wilt. He stands alone athletically. He could toss guys like Gilmore even in his old age. Wilt vs Shaq would be a battle, no way around that physicality clash. Guess what, Russell still stands out as the guy who would slow Wilt the most. How can that be if he's so weak?

Rhetorical I know. Nate the great was a great choice too. You can't judge strength as easily as kids think

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 06:34 PM
At least you got his height around the right area, easily listed at 6 11 today. But 215? What kind of research have you done?

He's listed 6'10 215-220 everywhere I've looked.

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 06:35 PM
This is hilarious. You can really tell who has knowledge of the actual game or only the advanced stats.

Chronz
02-23-2018, 06:36 PM
He's listed 6'10 215-220 everywhere I've looked.
Be honest, everywhere is limited to the moment this became a wade debate huh.... Be honest Bro

Chronz
02-23-2018, 06:37 PM
This is hilarious. You can really tell who has knowledge of the actual game or only the advanced stats.

Weight is a stat you're insisting correlates how you wish without actually having the listed measurements right.

Sorry bro but I've seen the game too long to fall for your hurt feelings

Shammyguy3
02-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Yes we can name them but have you listened to players speak on who the strongest players are? Sure they have biases but you can parse it all out. There's an eventual lineage that is hard to dismiss.

Break it down by era and follow the chain. Just as an example of this train of thought, notably absent from your list is artis gilmore, someone a hof like parish named as the strongest player he's ever faced. Keep in mind the many decades parish played, keep in mind how many aba players corroborated this opinion. I know parish didn't play against peak Shaq but who else is even in that realm? Even a young Shaq was one of the most powerful players we've ever seen and even that wasnt enough for him to concede. So who's left that parish didn't experience... Wilt. He stands alone athletically. He could toss guys like Gilmore even in his old age. Wilt vs Shaq would be a battle, no way around that physicality clash. Guess what, Russell still stands out as the guy who would slow Wilt the most. How can that be if he's so weak?

Rhetorical I know. Nate the great was a great choice too. You can't judge strength as easily as kids think

As a Bulls fan, i'm embarrassed that I missed Artis

ewing
02-23-2018, 07:30 PM
If we are really putting KG on the list now can we add J Kidd to this list. I build around peak Kidd before KG

Shammyguy3
02-23-2018, 07:59 PM
If we are really putting KG on the list now can we add J Kidd to this list. I build around peak Kidd before KG

That's ridiculous

ewing
02-24-2018, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=Shammyguy3;32190556]That's ridiculous[/QUOTE

Kidd made guys like Keyon Martin and Richard Jefferson all star level and he performed post season. I'm sorry fact is KG wasn't good enough on offensive to play through. He didn't make the defense collapse b/c he is wasn't strong enough to play in the deep post and while competent he wasn't MJ on the mid range turn around. So yeah he was a good scorer and passer but his assist #s are really inflated b/c his team played through him and had trouble getting good looks doing it. He made it worse by shooting worse when it mattered. Its like Wall at the start of his career, yeah great assist #s and a team that can't a good look in the 1/2 court. On D he was great but again not big enough in his prime to be your teams big. Maybe if he came along 10 years later it would be different but the guy the built to be Robin the era he peaked. He was asked to be batman and up big numbers wasn't going to win anything doing it

On the other hand, i remember when the best way to get overpaid in the NBA was to play next to J Kidd for a couple years. That's a game changer

ewing
02-24-2018, 12:41 AM
Garnett made latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassel and Wally all star level....

they were that without him.

Shammyguy3
02-24-2018, 12:42 AM
Kidd made guys like Keyon Martin and Richard Jefferson all star level and he performed post season. I'm sorry fact is KG wasn't good enough on offensive to play through. He didn't make the defense collapse b/c he is wasn't strong enough to play in the deep post and while competent he wasn't MJ on the mid range turn around. So yeah he was a good scorer and passer but his assist #s are really inflated b/c his team played through him and had trouble getting good looks doing it. He made it worse by shooting worse when it mattered. Its like Wall at the start of his career, yeah great assist #s and a team that can't a good look in the 1/2 court. On D he was great but again not big enough in his prime to be your teams big. Maybe if he came along 10 years later it would be different but the guy the built to be Robin the era he peaked. He was asked to be batman and up big numbers wasn't going to win anything doing it

On the other hand, i remember when the best way to get overpaid in the NBA was to play next to J Kidd for a couple years. That's a game changer

Garnett made latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassel and Wally all star level....

WaDe03
02-24-2018, 12:57 AM
Weight is a stat you're insisting correlates how you wish without actually having the listed measurements right.

Sorry bro but I've seen the game too long to fall for your hurt feelings

Please tell me the correct measurements then.

ewing
02-24-2018, 01:02 AM
Please tell me the correct measurements then.

9 inches thick

WaDe03
02-24-2018, 01:26 AM
9 inches thick

Is it named "Ewing"?

More-Than-Most
02-24-2018, 05:23 AM
my pick was suppose to be KG : )

ewing
02-24-2018, 08:31 AM
my pick was suppose to be KG : )

that's ridiculous. change your vote

mightybosstone
02-24-2018, 08:34 AM
To all the KG voters, let's play a game. I'm going to give you the stats of two players. One is KG. One is not. This is a three-year peak, and I'll throw in some accolades and postseason context for good measure.

Player A: 27.5 points, 11.2 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 3.3 blocks, 1.6 steals with a 29.7 PER, 58.9% TS%, 55.8 total WS, .286 WS/48, 9.5 BPM and 27.2 total VORP; Accolades: one MVP, two All-NBA 1st teams, one All-NBA 2nd team, two All-Defensive 1st teams and one All-Defensive 2nd team

Player B: 23.1 points, 13.5 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 1.7 blocks, 1.5 steals with a 28 PER, 55.6% TS%, 50 total WS, .248 WS/48, 9.4 BPM and 28.1 total VORP; Accolades, one MVP, two All-NBA 1st teams, one All-NBA second team and three All-Defensive teams

Player A's teams won an average of 59 games and also went to the playoffs three straight years, with one second round appearance and one conference finals appearance.
Player B's teams won an average of 51 games and went to the playoffs twice in that three-year stretch with one conference finals appearance and a first-round exit.

I'm not going to post their playoff numbers, but suffice it to say they're roughly on par with one another. Now what if I told you that KG was Player B, and Player A is someone who hasn't been picked yet and is getting hardly any attention in this conversation right now? Do you still feel confident that KG should absolutely deserve to go in this spot?

ewing
02-24-2018, 08:37 AM
To all the KG voters, let's play a game. I'm going to give you the stats of two players. One is KG. One is not. This is a three-year peak, and I'll throw in some accolades and postseason context for good measure.

Player A: 27.5 points, 11.2 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 3.3 blocks, 1.6 steals with a 29.7 PER, 58.9% TS%, 55.8 total WS, .286 WS/48, 9.5 BPM and 27.2 total VORP; Accolades: one MVP, two All-NBA 1st teams, one All-NBA 2nd team, two All-Defensive 1st teams and one All-Defensive 2nd team

Player B: 23.1 points, 13.5 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 1.7 blocks, 1.5 steals with a 28 PER, 55.6% TS%, 50 total WS, .248 WS/48, 9.4 BPM and 28.1 total VORP; Accolades, one MVP, two All-NBA 1st teams, one All-NBA second team and three All-Defensive teams

Player A's teams won an average of 59 games and also went to the playoffs three straight years, with one second round appearance and one conference finals appearance.
Player B's teams won an average of 51 games and went to the playoffs twice in that three-year stretch with one conference finals appearance and a first-round exit.

I'm not going to post their playoff numbers, but suffice it to say they're roughly on par with one another. Now what if I told you that KG was Player B, and Player A is someone who hasn't been picked yet and is getting hardly any attention in this conversation right now? Do you still feel confident that KG should absolutely deserve to go in this spot?

Its such incomplete information to really make a judgement on. did they hit make timely plays, how did they do post season, how did defenses react to them, how did this affect other players, how were they on D, did they create pace, space the floor, etc.

I'm guessing player A is the admiral?

mightybosstone
02-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Its such incomplete information to really make a judgement on. did they hit make timely plays, how did they do post season, how did defenses react to them, how did this affect other players, how were they on D, did they create pace, space the floor, etc.

I'm guessing player A is the admiral?

It is. And I find it a little laughable that when I mention KG's postseason failures in Minnesota, everybody's willing to give him a pass. But if someone came in here and tried to do the same for Robinson, it's considered blasphemy. Why does one guy get a total pass for his failures in a small sample size, but another guy's small sample size completely condemns him?

Bottom line: Peak David Robinson was a better, more productive basketball player than Kevin Garnett, and his teams were much better at his peak. But he's not as popular on PSD, so therefore he doesn't get any recognition.

And for the record, I didn't vote for Robinson. I just think all of the KG voters in the last two threads are total hypocrites. If your pick is KG here because of his all-around productivity and defense, and you're willing to overlook his pedestrian postseasons, then you should be willing to make the same exact case for Robinson. And his case is much stronger, IMO.

ewing
02-24-2018, 09:55 AM
It is. And I find it a little laughable that when I mention KG's postseason failures in Minnesota, nobody's willing to give him a pass. But if someone came in here and tried to do the same for Robinson, it's considered blasphemy. Why does one guy get a total pass for his failures in a small sample size, but another guy's small sample size completely condemns him?

Bottom line: Peak David Robinson was a better, more productive basketball player than Kevin Garnett, and his teams were much better at his peak. But he's not as popular on PSD, so therefore he doesn't get any recognition.

And for the record, I didn't vote for Robinson. I just think all of the KG voters in the last two threads are total hypocrites. If your pick is KG here because of his all-around productivity and defense, and you're willing to overlook his pedestrian postseasons, then you should be willing to make the same exact case for Robinson. And his case is much stronger, IMO.

Agree if we are going to go by regular season stats alone without looking at anything else. D Rob should be off the board

Jamiecballer
02-24-2018, 11:12 AM

I'm not going to post their playoff numbers, but suffice it to say they're roughly on par with one another. Now what if I told you that KG was Player B, and Player A is someone who hasn't been picked yet and is getting hardly any attention in this conversation right now? Do you still feel confident that KG should absolutely deserve to go in this spot?Timeframe for player A please. When he played will have a large effect on the answer

Ahhh. I see.

FlashBolt
02-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Tracy over KD. This list is stupid. It was stupid when Kobe got voted over Curry and no one still can explain why. Just kill this thread and come up with something else. It's inaccurate as hell right about now.

ewing
02-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Tracy over KD. This list is stupid. It was stupid when Kobe got voted over Curry and no one still can explain why. Just kill this thread and come up with something else. It's inaccurate as hell right about now.

That’s just like your opinion

WaDe03
02-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Chronz disappeared after he saw Russell was 6'10 215-220

Chronz
02-24-2018, 09:52 PM
Love you bro but you never answered my question. So tell me this, how did you get 6 10 when he's listed at 6 " 9? I would have thought it had something to do with reading up on the guy and nba history but that doesn't align with the rest of your analysis on him athletically. He was 215 like his rookie year only. Played around the mid 220s range early, 230 late and topped out at 240 his final year. You do know weight fluctuates more than 5 lbs your entire life, I mean that's like a strong poo for me. Imagine bill with today's training regimens, he's not handicapped despite that disadvantage athletically as it stands but he'd follow suit just like everyone else today.

If you want to judge or sidestep then just give me your top 10 strongest centers or players in history. You'll find some of the listed weights are ridiculous.

Chronz
02-24-2018, 09:58 PM

Because they disagree with you. New era rules matter, that's another good reason as young Kobe would've developed and dominated to a higher degree too. Curry is on that level but Kobe faced the literal toughest defensive teams in his playoff career. Look it up, today's nba is in fact easier to dominate for diminutive ball handlers.

KnicksorBust
02-25-2018, 06:34 PM
What is the vote?

Vallejo Raiders
02-25-2018, 06:55 PM
tracy over kd. This list is stupid. It was stupid when kobe got voted over curry and no one still can explain why. Just kill this thread and come up with something else. It's inaccurate as hell right about now.

this

ChiSox219
02-25-2018, 07:24 PM
Honestly KD should be above Kobe

AIRMAR72
02-26-2018, 01:17 PM
So we do a “top 25 greatest players of all-time list” here on PSD, but I wanted to do a best, not greatest list.

What is the difference?

This is NOT a list that measures a players career or accolades, it is simply a list of, if all the players were in their peak/in their prime/at their best/etc. and all in a draft, who would you take first on your team.

Current List

1. Michael Jordan
2. LeBron James
T3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
T3. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Shaquille O’Neal
6. Magic Johnson
7. Larry Bird
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Tim Duncan
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Steph Curry
12. Moses Malone
13. Tracy McGrady
14. Bill Walton
15. Kevin Durant
16. Jerry West

Kobe Bryant is not top 10 more like top 30

GREATNESS ONE
02-26-2018, 01:21 PM
:laugh2:

AIRMAR72
02-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Because they disagree with you. New era rules matter, that's another good reason as young Kobe would've developed and dominated to a higher degree too. Curry is on that level but Kobe faced the literal toughest defensive teams in his playoff career. Look it up, today's nba is in fact easier to dominate for diminutive ball handlers.
Rubbish!! Kobe in his dream can't even hoop like Curry.. Steph could score in any era along with Harden

mightybosstone
02-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Now that Wade is gone, I'm probably going Oscar or Barkley next.

GREATNESS ONE
02-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Rubbish!! Kobe in his dream can't even hoop like Curry.. Steph could score in any era along with Harden

:laugh2:

GREATNESS ONE
02-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Does, Harden still have more FT’s made than FG’s...

ewing
02-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Writing in Ewing next

Shammyguy3
02-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Now that Wade is gone, I'm probably going Oscar or Barkley next.

Jerry West?

mightybosstone
02-26-2018, 04:34 PM
Jerry West?

Dude, you realize that West went 16th, right?

Chronz
02-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Honestly KD should be above Kobe
For what

Shammyguy3
02-26-2018, 08:41 PM
Dude, you realize that West went 16th, right?

Then why is he in the poll? :laugh2: i voted for him for the 4th straight time in this thread lol

valade16
02-26-2018, 08:48 PM
Then why is he in the poll? :laugh2: i voted for him for the 4th straight time in this thread lol

LOL, sorry. I forgot to swap him out (I had the right number of options but I should have listed the option for another player and not West). Luckily, it didn't affect the outcome.

GREATNESS ONE
02-27-2018, 03:14 AM

Bro where do you get your weed?!?!? Lolz

mightybosstone
02-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Bro where do you get your weed?!?!? Lolz

:confused: Are you suggesting he's high because he voted for West four times? What's wrong with that? Jerry West was a damn good basketball player and totally deserving of a top 15-20 spot in this.