PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis possibly requesting a trade from the Pelicans?

HandsOnTheWheel
02-21-2018, 04:25 PM
From 24/7 Sports

Anthony Davis is under contract with the New Orleans Pelicans through the 2020-21 season but it appears as though the All-Star forward is already questioning whether or not he will finish that deal as a member of the Pelicans' roster.

While nothing seems imminent at this point in time, Davis has heard other all-time greats, such as future Hall of Famer Kevin Garnett, say that they regretted not looking for a way to join a title contender earlier in their respective careers and the former Kentucky Wildcats star doesn't want to venture down the same path.
(Photo: Mark D. Smith, USA TODAY Sports)

Recently, Davis sat down for an exclusive interview with Rachel Nichols of ESPN.com, which was transcribed by Harrison Faigen of LakersNation.com, and revealed that he has wondered whether he's already waited too long to request a trade to a team that is closer to contending for a title than New Orleans is at this point in time.

ďWhen you hear that it makes you think. Iím not going to lie, it makes you think because you wonder if youíre following in that same path. But then again, you be like, ĎThis year could be the year.í You donít know. So you just got to take it year-by-year and just see. See where the team is going, what direction they want to go to, and just see where their head is.Ē

Even though Davis has helped lead the Pelicans to the postseason before, simply being a top-eight team in the always stacked Western Conference is not good enough for the big man going forward as he knows he is capable of helping a team earn much more.

ďNo, itís not. Iíve done that before, and nobody talks about it. Nobody talks about just making the playoffs. I feel like we could do more. We have to. They always say basketball is a game of runs. This might be our run. You donít know. Youíve just got to play it out and see where it goes from there.Ē

Should Davis ultimately reach the point where he believes that a departure from New Orleans is his best option, there will be no shortage of interested franchises looking to swing a deal to add the big man to their roster.

Despite his injury history, Davis will likely continue to be one of the most impactful big men in the NBA for years to come.

Author

Michael Bohlin

Interesting. Any rumors about him previously seemed far-fetched, but could this be the start of a split between Davis and the Pels?

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Lolz man could you imagine the kind of offers teams are going to make!

Vee-Rex
02-21-2018, 04:54 PM
I remember seeing some Cavs fans on RCF talk about how they want Davis to become available so we can trade the Nets pick.

I'm like - no, no, nooooo. You don't want that. Boston would easily outbid Cleveland and establish a 3-headed Irving/Hayward/Davis monster and take over the East immediately, even if LeBron stayed.

So I'm hoping AD keeps quiet doesn't request a trade anytime soon. :shush:

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Hordord is an all star to. would kinda be a 4 headed monster.. plus they have Tatum who could be an all start one day.

They would most likely have to give up Tatum + fillers + 2/3 1st round picks.

smith&wesson
02-21-2018, 05:05 PM
I remember seeing some Cavs fans on RCF talk about how they want Davis to become available so we can trade the Nets pick.

I'm like - no, no, nooooo. You don't want that. Boston would easily outbid Cleveland and establish a 3-headed Irving/Hayward/Davis monster and take over the East immediately, even if LeBron stayed.

Hordord is an all star to. would kinda be a 4 headed monster.. plus they have Tatum who could be an all start one day.

GoferKing_
02-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Interesting. Boston could offer the best package.

Vallejo Raiders
02-21-2018, 05:22 PM
Klay Iggy And Za Za??

Vallejo Raiders
02-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Klay and green🤔

ewing
02-21-2018, 05:26 PM
He deserves a title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Ingram & Kuzma + 2019 1st, 2021 1st.

Sign Lebron & PG in FA.

.... :smoking:

TrueFan420
02-21-2018, 05:51 PM
Interesting. Boston could offer the best package.

They could and Kyrie, Hayward and AD is a crazy good 3 plus they'll likely be able to hold onto atleast 1 or two youngsters. I imagine Horford, Tatum and a high first gets this done if AD goes public with wanting out

LaVar Ball
02-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Ingram & Kuzma + 2019 1st, 2021 1st.

Sign Lebron & PG in FA.

.... :smoking:

Zo, Bron, PG and AD....

siiiiiccckkk

R. Johnson#3
02-21-2018, 06:23 PM
This would be the piece that puts the Raps over the top. We have a whole bench full of impressive young talent perfect for a rebuild. I imagine Masai would be all over this.

europagnpilgrim
02-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Every team would be in on this, only way they don't have a chance or wont make a offer is if Davis had a 5-6 team wish list

if I were Philly I would look to pair up Davis with Embiid and Simmons and just completely change the landscape of the east if that big 3 can stay healthy and locked in mentally, especially if that Fultz kid can just be serviceable that team would be scary

on that note the top 5 teams in the league only really have a shot at getting him prior to opt out time

Hustla23
02-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Boston could easily match any team's offer without having to include Tatum or Brown.

That is, unless Philly decides to get involved for some reason, which I don't imagine that they would considering the potential conflict in fit between AD and Embiid.

dhopisthename
02-21-2018, 06:51 PM
I would love to see what kind of offers it would take to get Anthony Davis. we are talking about a 25 year old still. I can imagine only a few teams could even offer a deal that wouldn't get completely laughed at.

LeonFSU
02-21-2018, 06:57 PM
I doubt it happens before Demps is fired, which maybe will be the end of next season.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-21-2018, 07:08 PM
Pels have that huge Holiday contract fresh on their books too

IndyRealist
02-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Every team would be in on this, only way they don't have a chance or wont make a offer is if Davis had a 5-6 team wish list

if I were Philly I would look to pair up Davis with Embiid and Simmons and just completely change the landscape of the east if that big 3 can stay healthy and locked in mentally, especially if that Fultz kid can just be serviceable that team would be scary

on that note the top 5 teams in the league only really have a shot at getting him prior to opt out time

Davis is guaranteed under contract for two full years. I'd trade Myles Turner, filler and two unprotected 1sts for 2 years of Anthony Davis and two shots at a ring.

Giannis94
02-21-2018, 09:09 PM
Bucks. Anyone but Giannis can go

mightybosstone
02-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Boston could easily match any team's offer without having to include Tatum or Brown.

That is, unless Philly decides to get involved for some reason, which I don't imagine that they would considering the potential conflict in fit between AD and Embiid.

No. That's just completely insane. If Boston wanted a player of Davis' caliber, they'd absolutely have to give up Tatum or Brown, and it honestly might take both guys.

mightybosstone
02-21-2018, 10:46 PM
Danny Ainge picks up the phone and calls the Pelicans' front office and offers up Tatum, Horford, Brown, a 1st rounder and other assets for Davis and Mirotic (once Mirotic is eligible to be traded). Don't both sides kind of have to consider that offer? I kind of think both teams are better on paper afterward next season, assuming Cousins re-signs with New Orleans.

Dade County
02-22-2018, 04:23 AM
Pat will save you AD, just hold on.

IKnowHoops
02-22-2018, 04:39 AM

Love+Tristan+Nets pick...what could Boston do with that?

IKnowHoops
02-22-2018, 04:41 AM
They would most likely have to give up Tatum + fillers + 2/3 1st round picks.

Since all there picks are high, is that better than Love+TT+Nets pick?

KB24PG16
02-22-2018, 05:34 AM
it was a mistake for him to sign that 7 year extension at the time, committed to a franchise without any real sense of direction

More-Than-Most
02-22-2018, 05:46 AM
I wouldnt want us to do it but a package of

saric/tlc/our first/the lakers or kings lottery pick/2 seconds/Holmes.... Then we have guys overseas with huge upside as well... we could make a sick offer but... pass.

Then there is a guy like covington on a pretty sick contract for his 3 and D style of play... we could match or beat anyones offer just like the celtics could but why would either team do it? Its just not worth.

More-Than-Most
02-22-2018, 05:48 AM
the offer id be comfortable with would be saric/our first/the lakers or kings first and a few 2nds.

TrueFan420
02-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Love+Tristan+Nets pick...what could Boston do with that?

They could **** on that.

PAOboston
02-22-2018, 05:54 PM
Love+Tristan+Nets pick...what could Boston do with that?Why would NOP even consider taking back Tristan and his ugly salary though? I would think they would want a blue chip prospect. My guess is if Boston made a deal it would be Horford, one of Brown/Tatum, the LAL/SAC pick, and some other combo of their 4 million 1st rounders (LAC, MEN, etc).

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

WhiteShadow42
02-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Wonder if NOP would also want Holidays contract unloaded. Ok (any trading team) if you want AD then you have to take on Holidays contract.

I do feel that Boston would be the frontrunner to get AD. PAOboston: I think it could be Horford, Brown, and Tatum plus 1-2 1sts to get AD. AD is not even in his prime yet (crazy).

Heediot
02-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Fluff article, it's slow time for nba rumors till Summer. I've never gotten the vibe he wants out just yet.

GREATNESS ONE
02-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Fluff article, it's slow time for nba rumors till Summer. I've never gotten the vibe he wants out just yet.

Did you read the article/interview? He wants out.

PAOboston
02-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Wonder if NOP would also want Holidays contract unloaded. Ok (any trading team) if you want AD then you have to take on Holidays contract.

I do feel that Boston would be the frontrunner to get AD. PAOboston: I think it could be Horford, Brown, and Tatum plus 1-2 1sts to get AD. AD is not even in his prime yet (crazy).AD is good and will cost a lot but that would be too much imo. An all star level player, 2 blue chip prospects, and a likely lottery pick? Still a trio of Kyrie, Hayward, and AD sounds pretty good to me lol.

Cal827
02-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Yeah.... I think that if AD does request out, the Celtics will be able to blow anyone out of the water with an offer.

Tatum and Brown look to have a BOTTOM ceiling of a solid starter, and the Celtics have a million high picks.

WhiteShadow42
02-22-2018, 11:43 PM
AD is good and will cost a lot but that would be too much imo. An all star level player, 2 blue chip prospects, and a likely lottery pick? Still a trio of Kyrie, Hayward, and AD sounds pretty good to me lol.

It hurts me to say this as a Laker fan but Ainge has really set you guys up well. AD has two more years to go. Thatís why I think you guys might have to give up that second blue chip player. Who knows. Value is perception.
Agreed Kyrie, AD, and Hayward is pretty good. Crazy how much better that defense will be. LeBron might go to GSW for $1 a year he will be so desperate LOL.

Hustla23
02-22-2018, 11:58 PM
No. That's just completely insane. If Boston wanted a player of Davis' caliber, they'd absolutely have to give up Tatum or Brown, and it honestly might take both guys.

That's not what I said. I said they could match any other team's offer, not what the Pelicans would actually want from them.

I also threw in the qualifier that this would be true if Philly didn't get involved.

Some combination of Horford, Rozier, their own firsts, Memphis's first, the Clippers first, Sacramento's first, the Laker's first in 2019 (at this point is looking more likely than 2018) definitely rivals any other offer combination from another team.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-23-2018, 01:27 AM
I think he's wondering that if they resign Cousins, for the max, they are strapped with that Holiday contract. It's not enough to push for nothing more than a 4-5 seed team.

However, if he pushes for a trade now, his value due to his length of control left on his contract makes him so valuable that wherever he goes, the team is being gutted. Boston, even with the enormous amount of assets and young talent, would have to give up so much they're left with Kyrie-AD-Heyward but not much else. Near 80 mil between those players and still having draft assets, nothing high end. If he waits another year or until summer of 2019, he could likely force himself into a situation that will be much better suited for him winning short-term.

Jeffy25
02-23-2018, 01:57 AM
Go to Boston!

Jeffy25
02-23-2018, 02:30 AM
Since all there picks are high, is that better than Love+TT+Nets pick?

Brown and Tatum is better than that.

Pelicans aren't improved with that offer.

Heediot
02-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Did you read the article/interview? He wants out.

He was asked a tough question. I still think things tend to be be overblown and exaggerated. Nothing he says stated says he wants out literally, he was just answering it straight up. He didn't say he was committed, but neither did he look like he wanted out from the tone of his answer. Some guys body language change when they are asked the question he looked comfortable answering that. I guess if things go south, he'll want out but in recent articles and interviews he believed they were a finals contender with Cousins, so for now with that Cousins remark/comment I feel he's more committed vs. not if he feels they have a shot with the team as is.

More stuff for the fans to buy in and get their hopes up. NBA trade rumors get people more excited vs. the actual games IMO. Atleast until the finals.

LA4life24/8
02-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Lakers could offer ingram kuz ball hart cleveland 1st and future 1st for AD. Then sign pg13 and bron.

It would basically just be those 3 at that point. But that's a pretty close offer to anyone's unless boston literally gives them every single pick they have+tatum+Brown lol (ainge wont offer em all)

But if he has a short list of teams i just honestly wonder who would be on it.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2018, 01:18 PM
I think AD is a great player. I think...

my question is, at what point do we start questioning a guy who puts up insane numbers, who can't lead a team to anything? I get it, even great players need help. But truly great players, are not going to churn out lottery teams every single year. Add to that the injuries Davis has gone through, and are we really sure he is worth a haul that he likely will fetch? Maybe he is, I just am not quite sure if I think the guy is truly that great of a player. Reminds me of when I defended Love so much, when the truth was, some guys put up franchise player numbers, but they ain't franchise players.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2018, 01:19 PM
Go to Boston!

nope, won't work. Boston doesn't like anyone taller than 6'9"

PAOboston
02-23-2018, 03:37 PM
nope, won't work. Boston doesn't like anyone taller than 6'9"This is a fact. Sadly.

Though they did sign Monroe. #progress

WaDe03
02-23-2018, 03:42 PM
He will end up in Miami for Winslow TJ and Babbit.

Vee-Rex
02-23-2018, 05:08 PM

my question is, at what point do we start questioning a guy who puts up insane numbers, who can't lead a team to anything? I get it, even great players need help. But truly great players, are not going to churn out lottery teams every single year. Add to that the injuries Davis has gone through, and are we really sure he is worth a haul that he likely will fetch? Maybe he is, I just am not quite sure if I think the guy is truly that great of a player. Reminds me of when I defended Love so much, when the truth was, some guys put up franchise player numbers, but they ain't franchise players.

Eh, he led his team to the playoffs in his 3rd year at the age of 21. He missed about a month's worth of games at the end of his 4th year. Since then, the Pels have been fighting for a playoff seed every year (and yes, coming up short) but seemed to have finally established a noticeable improvement before DMC's achilles tear.

The league is just different now, man. It's not AD's fault. If you don't have a superteam then you won't succeed. Look how much it took to get your Wolves to where they are now. Do you think a 22 year-old KAT would be able to lead the Wolves to the playoffs in this superteam era without Butler? Davis has never had anything close to Butler until DMC joined.

And it's unfortunate because the Pels were 24-16 this year with Davis and Cousins playing together, which is about a 50-win pace. Consider that they were starting to play better together, and it's possible they hit 50 wins this year. Wolves have a .590% so they are below a 50-win pace.

His health is a bit of a concern but put him on a team with talent (like the Celtics) under a damn good coach and they're easily contenders. Everyone wants to look at win/loss and judge these young superstars prematurely without using some context. Same thing with dudes trashing Kyrie because of his win/loss record before LeBron returned.

You THINK AD is a great player? Like, come on bro.

LaVar Ball
02-23-2018, 07:34 PM
He will end up in Miami for Winslow TJ and Babbit.

The Heat are done man. Riles is gonna retire in a couple of years and you guys won't be the franchise you are now. I give Riles 5 yrs tops.

CityofTreez
02-23-2018, 07:47 PM

Cousins too....and they play on same team lol

Chronz
02-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Eh, he led his team to the playoffs in his 3rd year at the age of 21. He missed about a month's worth of games at the end of his 4th year. Since then, the Pels have been fighting for a playoff seed every year (and yes, coming up short) but seemed to have finally established a noticeable improvement before DMC's achilles tear.

The league is just different now, man. It's not AD's fault. If you don't have a superteam then you won't succeed. Look how much it took to get your Wolves to where they are now. Do you think a 22 year-old KAT would be able to lead the Wolves to the playoffs in this superteam era without Butler? Davis has never had anything close to Butler until DMC joined.

And it's unfortunate because the Pels were 24-16 this year with Davis and Cousins playing together, which is about a 50-win pace. Consider that they were starting to play better together, and it's possible they hit 50 wins this year. Wolves have a .590% so they are below a 50-win pace.

His health is a bit of a concern but put him on a team with talent (like the Celtics) under a damn good coach and they're easily contenders. Everyone wants to look at win/loss and judge these young superstars prematurely without using some context. Same thing with dudes trashing Kyrie because of his win/loss record before LeBron returned.

Isn't great relative. He's obviously a stud but how do you define true greatness?

corky831
02-23-2018, 10:58 PM
Celts could make it work, they'd have to give up Horford though to make salaries work. Then one of Brown or Taum....im giving Brown up in this scenario. I am too high on Tatum. Then they can include the SAC pick for 2019 which most likely will be top 5 (unless it's number 1, then PHI forfeits their own pick), then the clippers 1st, or the Memphis 1st could be added. Celts have too many assets to be outbid tbh. Could include Rozier too

ewing
02-24-2018, 12:47 AM

the one thing I don't like about AD is he has the ability to yam on guys but would rather murder you with a quick release mid range J. Now that **** is efficient but it doesn't collapse defenses. Still I do think he is a heck of a player.

Heediot
02-24-2018, 08:49 AM

I think your points have validity.

OTOH, I personally don't feel he helps other players get better looks as much as he should. Like ewing said with his skills, he has the ability to collapse and suck in a defense. From what I see once he gets the ball he attacks or makes a decision quickly. I don't think he knows how to manipulate a defense, which is what the elite guys who knows how to carry a team do. However, his individual talent is so good he is still impactful, but until he gets better at controlling a game and not just being a highly efficient scorer, he won't max out his ability. To his defense though it's a ball handler league, and with how the game is played and called bigs are marginalized. Like you said coaching also helps, which is agreeable. Health of team mates as well, as he has always had injuries to himself or his team mates over the course of his career.

ewing
02-24-2018, 09:02 AM
I think your points have validity.

OTOH, I personally don't feel he helps other players get better looks as much as he should. Like ewing said with his skills, he has the ability to collapse and suck in a defense. From what I see once he gets the ball he attacks or makes a decision quickly. I don't think he knows how to manipulate a defense, which is what the elite guys who knows how to carry a team do. However, his individual talent is so good he is still impactful, but until he gets better at controlling a game and not just being a highly efficient scorer, he won't max out his ability. To his defense though it's a ball handler league, and with how the game is played and called bigs are marginalized. Like you said coaching also helps, which is agreeable. Health of team mates as well, as he has always had injuries to himself or his team mates over the course of his career.

Its a shame with all the good bigs coming of age. with the way the game is played and called today it seems like Joel is the only one that maybe able to influence a game on the level that lead guards do

Heediot
02-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Its a shame with all the good bigs coming of age. with the way the game is played and called today it seems like Joel is the only one that maybe able to influence a game on the level that lead guards do

Embiid is nice, his court awareness and feel for the game is further along vs. AD and KAT. He does have iffy shot selection sometimes, but his defense is what going to make him better (arguably already is) then Cousins. You may be onto something with him being the big man that can carry an elite team. Defense is definitely a must, which he is a strong part of his game, and his offense is damn good so far too. He can see the floor well which helps opens things up for his team.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2018, 10:02 AM
the one thing I don't like about AD is he has the ability to yam on guys but would rather murder you with a quick release mid range J. Now that **** is efficient but it doesn't collapse defenses. Still I do think he is a heck of a player.

He reminds me of KG.

rhino17
02-24-2018, 11:52 AM

Exactly how I feel. True franchise players don't sit in the lottery every single year.

IKnowHoops
02-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Exactly how I feel. True franchise players don't sit in the lottery every single year.

Is Kobe a superstar? He missed the playoffs in his prime, and that was LA. If u dont have support, you canít do anything in this league.

Lol, I think prime Kareem Abdul Jabber missed the playoffs, so letís stop. If you donít have help, anyone can miss the playoffs. AD is easily a superstar.