PDA

View Full Version : The Rest Issue

Scoots
02-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Jimmy Butler sits out the All Star Game and now Giannis is saying he needs rest

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/19/jimmy-butler-sits-out-all-star-game-own-request#/

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-addresses-his-knee-issues-i-play-too-much-501809.html

The Warriors are resting everyone with ANY kind of ailment and giving them extra days break.

Is the NBA wrong to pressure players to play? Are coaches who rest players wrong or the ones who push their players to play more wrong?

Discuss.

warfelg
02-20-2018, 09:15 PM
The NBA isn't wrong for pressuring to play, because they aren't pressuring to play. They are basically telling coaches not to piss off their TV partners by sitting them on national broadcast games, not to sit on the road. Giannis should be sitting the random Friday Bulls games, not the Tuesday TNT Cavs game. Curry/KD/Klay should sit the Sunday Kings game, not the Thursday night ESPN Thunder game.

Ok thats out of the way.

So the coaches resting their players on the road and on nationally televised games are in the wrong.

And Butler is an *** - hole for taking off the ASG and not offering the spot to someone else.

archdevil84
02-20-2018, 09:55 PM
these athletes are getting paid 50 mil a year to play basketball. we live in a modern world where athletes are treated better then ever. nobody should be "rested" especially not guys who arent even old yet (like below 30) unless you have an injury

Vee-Rex
02-20-2018, 09:58 PM
I don't think people understand what "rest" means. It doesn't mean they're huffing and puffing and exhausted and too tired/lazy to play.

Scoots
02-20-2018, 10:16 PM
The NBA isn't wrong for pressuring to play, because they aren't pressuring to play. They are basically telling coaches not to piss off their TV partners by sitting them on national broadcast games, not to sit on the road. Giannis should be sitting the random Friday Bulls games, not the Tuesday TNT Cavs game. Curry/KD/Klay should sit the Sunday Kings game, not the Thursday night ESPN Thunder game.

Ok thats out of the way.

So the coaches resting their players on the road and on nationally televised games are in the wrong.

And Butler is an *** - hole for taking off the ASG and not offering the spot to someone else.

FWIW, I don't think the Warriors have outright "DNP - Rest" any starter this year. There is always "shoulder", "ankle", "knee" or something. They straight admitted at one point that if it was a playoff game they'd play.

tredigs
02-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Should have to give your 100+ thousand dollar game check to charity if you're just too tired to play for 30 minutes.

tredigs
02-20-2018, 10:25 PM
And a 100K game check is a joke to A LOT of these douche bags.

Giannis94
02-21-2018, 12:09 AM
these athletes are getting paid 50 mil a year to play basketball. we live in a modern world where athletes are treated better then ever. nobody should be "rested" especially not guys who arent even old yet (like below 30) unless you have an injury

The season is 82 games long. At minimum. They are literally sprinting for 32-36 minutes a night not including practice, game planing, etc.. Having worked in professional sports (mods pm for details if you.need verification) Game planning is an underrated part of this. Game planning adds to the mental stress.. And it's based on past tendencies. So things that.msy not even happen. But if you review film and accidentally fall asleep or doze off, and then that situation happens in the fourth and you.miss it, you're getting reemed out by.your coach and your teammates look at you differently.

So let's say you have a morning practice and do regular drills at 50% for two hours. Game plan for 3 hours in the morning and two before the game and maybe teo the nightbefore.
And I forgot workouts etc.

These guys are athletes.. Yes. They get paid a lot. Yes. But it can spiral into other things that are more severe than basketball. Think I'm joking? I'm speaking from experience putting in 90+ a week andiI wasn't even an athlete

More-Than-Most
02-21-2018, 05:04 AM
Honestly in terms of Giannis... He doesnt need rest but rest is fine... They need to stop running every single thing through him. Literally their offense is him and they cater to him... Spread the ball around and save energy.

Rest is fine though... I dont understand why its so frowned upon... I dont think this is something giannis should be saying to the media though... This is something that should be said to management and coaching.

ewing
02-21-2018, 09:43 AM

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/19/jimmy-butler-sits-out-all-star-game-own-request#/

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-addresses-his-knee-issues-i-play-too-much-501809.html

The Warriors are resting everyone with ANY kind of ailment and giving them extra days break.

Is the NBA wrong to pressure players to play? Are coaches who rest players wrong or the ones who push their players to play more wrong?

Discuss.

The NBA is right and coaches should push

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyRealist
02-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Do you think they want Jimmy Butler 70% come playoff time, or give him a random Thursday off? He's currently 9th in minutes played, and only 43 minutes or less behind any non-Timberwolves player. Giannis doesn't get to take a single play off. Of course these guys need rest.

For people who will parrot that the regular season doesn't matter, you all are taking an awful hardline stance on player rest. If these millionaires playing a kid's game should just suck it up because they have it so easy, then you go do it for an enitre season. OH THAT'S RIGHT YOU CAN'T. You don't play on that level, you don't know what it's like.

WestCoastSportz
02-21-2018, 03:02 PM
I don't ever remember Jordan sitting games for rest. This whole thing has gotten out of control. Players are getting paid a lot of money to play 82+ games. Not 70 because they're tired. What a bunch of babies. The league even lengthened the season so teams will get more rest. I don't know why they're playing the All Star game 3/4 through the season. What ever happened to half?

KnicksorBust
02-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Discuss.

NBA should have no control over the decision to rest players. Coaches should be able to play whatever players they want whatever minutes they want. How do you think the Spurs dynasty has lasted almost 20 years? Maintenance and fantastic coaching. You can't force Pop to play Duncan just like you can't force Jimmy Butler to play in the ASG.

IndyRealist
02-21-2018, 03:58 PM
I don't ever remember Jordan sitting games for rest. This whole thing has gotten out of control. Players are getting paid a lot of money to play 82+ games. Not 70 because their tired. What a bunch of babies. The league even lengthened the season so teams will get more rest. I don't know why they're playing the All Star game 3/4 through the season. What ever happened to half?

Jordan didn't get rest games, but neither did anyone else. So everybody went into the playoffs at 50%. Rest is proven to have players perform better in the playoffs, and for some teams THAT is what matters, not a random February game. If you don't rest your players, you are giving away the advantage to your playoff opponent.

ewing
02-21-2018, 04:19 PM
Jordan didn't get rest games, but neither did anyone else. So everybody went into the playoffs at 50%. Rest is proven to have players perform better in the playoffs, and for some teams THAT is what matters, not a random February game. If you don't rest your players, you are giving away the advantage to your playoff opponent.

IDK about 50% but teams shouldn't be 100% at the end of the year. You should have to battle through something to get there.

ewing
02-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Do you think they want Jimmy Butler 70% come playoff time, or give him a random Thursday off? He's currently 9th in minutes played, and only 43 minutes or less behind any non-Timberwolves player. Giannis doesn't get to take a single play off. Of course these guys need rest.

For people who will parrot that the regular season doesn't matter, you all are taking an awful hardline stance on player rest. If these millionaires playing a kid's game should just suck it up because they have it so easy, then you go do it for an enitre season. OH THAT'S RIGHT YOU CAN'T. You don't play on that level, you don't know what it's like.

Please just b/c I don't play on the same level doesn't mean I don't what it is like to put in work as an athlete.

IndyRealist
02-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Please just b/c I don't play on the same level doesn't mean I don't what it is like to put in work as an athlete.

Not on that razor's edge between being a machine and breaking down. The more finely tuned a system is, the more maintenance it requires to stay optimal.

ewing
02-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Not on that razor's edge between being a machine and breaking down. The more finely tuned a system is, the more maintenance it requires to stay optimal.

Sure doc

IndyRealist
02-21-2018, 05:23 PM
IDK about 50% but teams shouldn't be 100% at the end of the year. You should have to battle through something to get there.
But if you have your best players at 70% or 80% because you grinded the season, and your opponent's best players are at 95% because they rested, you'd have to be a masochist to take that disadvantage for meaningless games in February.

As long as you can do it, teams will. June matters.

ewing
02-21-2018, 05:39 PM
But if you have your best players at 70% or 80% because you grinded the season, and your opponent's best players are at 95% because they rested, you'd have to be a masochist to take that disadvantage for meaningless games in February.

As long as you can do it, teams will. June matters.

I know. Itís unfortunate and with the complete lack of parity in the league there really isnít reason for teams to grind.