PDA

View Full Version : Adam Silver discuss 1-16 Playoff Format

Vee-Rex
02-19-2018, 06:41 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/adam-silver-hints-at-changes-to-nba-playoff-format-but-says-travel-is-top-hurdle/

I've said in the past, the obstacle is travel, and it's not tradition in my mind, at least. It's that as we've added an extra week to the regular season, as we've tried to reduce the number of back-to-backs, that we are concerned about teams crisscrossing the country in the first round, for example. We are just concerned about the overall travel that we would have in the top 16 teams.

Having said that, you also would like to have a format where your two best teams are ultimately going to meet in the Finals, and obviously, if it's the top team in the East and the top team in the West, I'm not saying this is the case this year, but you could have a situation where the top two teams in the league are meeting in the conference finals or somewhere else.

So we're going to continue to look at that. It's still my hope that we're going to figure out ways. Maybe ultimately you have to add even more days to the season to spread it out a little bit more to deal with the travel. Maybe air travel will get better. All things we'll keep looking at.

It's my hope that they do something like this. I'd love to see a mixture of conferences for the playoff matchups, as I think it would be super interesting.

If the NBA playoffs started today, the playoffs would look like this:

[1]Houston Rockets
[2]Golden State Warriors
[16]Miami Heat
[15]New Orleans Pelicans

[8]Washington Wizards
[7]Minnesota Timberwolves
[9]Indiana Pacers
[10]Milwaukee Bucks

[5]Cleveland Cavaliers
[6]San Antonio Spurs
[12]Denver Nuggets
[11]Oklahoma City Thunder

[4]Boston Celtics
[3]Toronto Raptors
[13]Portland Trailblazers
[14]Philadelphia 76ers

Giannis94
02-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Yes. I am fine with that. The top 2 teams should play in the finals. Not in the wcf like the past few years.

Would love a Bucks and warriors second round series. Can see the Bucks pulling the upset. We play them well. I'll say Bucks in 5 or 6

Sofnr
02-19-2018, 07:27 PM
I'd absolutely love to see this implemented.

COOLbeans
02-19-2018, 07:39 PM
I get the whole travel thing. That would suck. But all they’d need to do is add an extra travel day for those teams going coast to coast.

KG2TB
02-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Yes, yes, and yes. Do it. Don’t even wait. Do it now.

lakerfan85
02-19-2018, 08:59 PM
They should just get rid of the east and west..

kobe4thewinbang
02-19-2018, 10:21 PM
I think it would definitely make for an overall increase in quality throughout the post-season. No longer would we have to endure one-sided first rounds, wondering why an elite contender has to blow out an #8 seed four times because the rules say so. We also have those 3vs6/4vs5 matchups where it’s a contentious series and usually the higher seed wins. With these new rules, it would mean more interesting and exciting matchups than there currently are in the first round. No longer would we see 8 solid teams and 8 other “meh” teams with .500 records or worse sneaking in.

The division rule helped stop a second round showdown between elite teams, but this new idea would definitely IMO ensure the best two teams survive until the finals. How many times have you heard analysts say “The NBA champion comes from the West”? Sure, the Cavs knocked out the Warriors one year, but it kills the excitement knowing that the WCF is the Finals because the eastern conference is so much weaker. I like the Celtics, Cavaliers and Raptors too, but like I said, it’s probably going to be the Warriors/Rockets (maybe Spurs) title this year.

Those eastern teams may not survive to the Finals in this new format and it would cause good changes in trades/roster building/free agency too. You’d still have a chance to see a dud series like proposed up above (e.g. Pelicans/Warriors, lol), but we’re at least not seeing two of those first round snoozefests and drowsy second rounds either. No more coasting, and imagine LeBron’s face if he had to face the Spurs in the first round or another team’s misfortune should they lose position at the wrong time. You would still see top seeds versus the very bottom ones, but it would likely be westVSeast, a nice change of pace as the top east team (if they got a high seed) may have trouble with a lower-ranked western team (since west standings are usually close). Use the season series to determine who wins tie-breakers if east/west team have same record and implement the division rule somehow.

Leftcoast_yg
02-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Yes. I am fine with that. The top 2 teams should play in the finals. Not in the wcf like the past few years.

Would love a Bucks and warriors second round series. Can see the Bucks pulling the upset. We play them well. I'll say Bucks in 5 or 6

Lol because your team has been deep in the playoffs and had success oh wait?

Giannis94
02-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Lol because your team has been deep in the playoffs and had success oh wait?

WE HAVE HAD JKIDD. Guarantee if I put him on any other team they lose 12-15 games mroe than their current rcord. We also play the dubs well.

Vee-Rex
02-20-2018, 04:05 PM
WE HAVE HAD JKIDD. Guarantee if I put him on any other team they lose 12-15 games mroe than their current rcord. We also play the dubs well.

What makes you so sure you get by the Wolves?

Giannis94
02-20-2018, 04:08 PM
What makes you so sure you get by the Wolves?

Thibs

valade16
02-20-2018, 04:32 PM
The travel is the difficult part. Sure you can say just add an extra day, but how much longer does that push the season? How much longer do teams that sweep have to wait for a best of 7 series?

Looking at that, Portland and Boston would face. That would be a rough series travel wise.

dhopisthename
02-20-2018, 04:55 PM
The travel is the difficult part. Sure you can say just add an extra day, but how much longer does that push the season? How much longer do teams that sweep have to wait for a best of 7 series?

Looking at that, Portland and Boston would face. That would be a rough series travel wise.

a quick google search says that it about a 7.5 hour flight from portland to Miami vs 5.5 for Portland to Memphis and some of the Texas teams. is it really that much worse for portland? Obviously the Eastern Teams travel times get much worse. I would want them to take this a step further and the 16 best teams get in.

Vee-Rex
02-20-2018, 05:07 PM
I know 2-3-2 isn't ideal and it's worse than 2-2-1-1-1, but is it really THAT BAD?

How about 3-3-1? If the HCA ONLY wins 2 of the first 3 games @ home, it puts all the pressure on the lower seed to win ALL THREE games at home to take the series, or else they're facing a game 7 on the road.

WaDe03
02-20-2018, 05:50 PM

I don't think your giving BAE and Coach of the Year Prutiny who is on pace for 62 wins since taking over enough credit. I say MKE over the Dubs (who MKE plays well) in 4, maybe 5.

archdevil84
02-20-2018, 05:56 PM
I think it would definitely make for an overall increase in quality throughout the post-season. No longer would we have to endure one-sided first rounds, wondering why an elite contender has to blow out an #8 seed four times because the rules say so. We also have those 3vs6/4vs5 matchups where it’s a contentious series and usually the higher seed wins. With these new rules, it would mean more interesting and exciting matchups than there currently are in the first round. No longer would we see 8 solid teams and 8 other “meh” teams with .500 records or worse sneaking in.

The division rule helped stop a second round showdown between elite teams, but this new idea would definitely IMO ensure the best two teams survive until the finals. How many times have you heard analysts say “The NBA champion comes from the West”? Sure, the Cavs knocked out the Warriors one year, but it kills the excitement knowing that the WCF is the Finals because the eastern conference is so much weaker. I like the Celtics, Cavaliers and Raptors too, but like I said, it’s probably going to be the Warriors/Rockets (maybe Spurs) title this year.

Those eastern teams may not survive to the Finals in this new format and it would cause good changes in trades/roster building/free agency too. You’d still have a chance to see a dud series like proposed up above (e.g. Pelicans/Warriors, lol), but we’re at least not seeing two of those first round snoozefests and drowsy second rounds either. No more coasting, and imagine LeBron’s face if he had to face the Spurs in the first round or another team’s misfortune should they lose position at the wrong time. You would still see top seeds versus the very bottom ones, but it would likely be westVSeast, a nice change of pace as the top east team (if they got a high seed) may have trouble with a lower-ranked western team (since west standings are usually close). Use the season series to determine who wins tie-breakers if east/west team have same record and implement the division rule somehow.

the exact opposite is what would result from this change. the highest seeded teams would now face the lowest seeded teams lol

Shammyguy3
02-20-2018, 06:05 PM
the exact opposite is what would result from this change. the highest seeded teams would now face the lowest seeded teams lol

That kinda already happens, right? 8th seed in the east is the Heat (30-28) and 8th seed in the west is the Pelicans (31-26). They will be playing 1st seed (currently Toronto at 41-16, and Houston at 44-13) regardless.

Is the outcome any different for those series if the Raptors play the Heat versus the Pelicans, or vice versa? Nope. Changing the format would give us better matchups in the (a) Finals first and foremost (b) Conference Finals second, and (c) Semi-Finals third.

valade16
02-20-2018, 06:35 PM
a quick google search says that it about a 7.5 hour flight from portland to Miami vs 5.5 for Portland to Memphis and some of the Texas teams. is it really that much worse for Portland? Obviously the Eastern Teams travel times get much worse. I would want them to take this a step further and the 16 best teams get in.

It's worse than it appears due to time zones.

If someone from Portland flies at 10:00 a.m. to Memphis they'll arrive at what 5:30 (5.5 hour flight plus extra 2 hours for time zones). If someone from Portland flies at 10:00 a.m. to Miami they'll arrive at 8:30 (7.5 hour flight plus 3 extra hours for time zones).

So in that instance, arriving at 5:30 would allow you plenty of time to go to the hotel and eat and get a good nights sleep, arriving at 8:30 would not.

LOb0
02-20-2018, 06:41 PM
The only way I'd even consider this is if they completely abolish the Eastern and Western conference standings. Don't pretend there's still an east and a west like they do with the Divisions that are totally pointless.

archdevil84
02-20-2018, 07:03 PM
That kinda already happens, right? 8th seed in the east is the Heat (30-28) and 8th seed in the west is the Pelicans (31-26). They will be playing 1st seed (currently Toronto at 41-16, and Houston at 44-13) regardless.

Is the outcome any different for those series if the Raptors play the Heat versus the Pelicans, or vice versa? Nope. Changing the format would give us better matchups in the (a) Finals first and foremost (b) Conference Finals second, and (c) Semi-Finals third.

true, but the first rounds would be theoretically even worse then they are now with the worst seeded team vsing the best seeded team instead of the worst conference team vsing the best conference team (which in almost all cases atm are more equally)

Shammyguy3
02-20-2018, 07:28 PM
true, but the first rounds would be theoretically even worse then they are now with the worst seeded team vsing the best seeded team instead of the worst conference team vsing the best conference team (which in almost all cases atm are more equally)

Not really, no. The 8th seed in the west versus the 8th seed in the east. The best team in the league will likely sweep either team, regardless. So I just disagree entirely.

mightybosstone
02-20-2018, 09:21 PM
As not only a Rockets fan, but just as a fan of great NBA playoff basketball overall, I'd freaking love this. Not only would great Western Conference teams not have to shoot for the Western Conference Finals as their ceiling, but we'd get way better matchups in the second and third rounds.

Vee-Rex
02-20-2018, 09:54 PM
As not only a Rockets fan, but just as a fan of great NBA playoff basketball overall, I'd freaking love this. Not only would great Western Conference teams not have to shoot for the Western Conference Finals as their ceiling, but we'd get way better matchups in the second and third rounds.

Fully agree. The basketball fan in me would love it, regardless of the fact that it would give the Cavs a harder road.

Allphakenny1
02-21-2018, 12:38 AM
You guys hear about those people talking about not only a 1-16 format, but that the #1 seed would get to choose their match up out of the remaining teams. I would assume they could only choose from the bottom 8 seeds so the top 8 still get home court advantage. Then the #2 seed would get to choose next, and so on. Not sure I like this, but it would make thing very interesting.

Teams could choose their opponent based on many factors. Easiest opponent, match up factors, travel schedule, injuries, etc. This would never happen, but man it would be crazy.

Giannis94
02-21-2018, 01:16 AM
Fully agree. The basketball fan in me would love it, regardless of the fact that it would give the Cavs a harder road.
Catch 22: you can't have a harder road if your chosen one leaves you

tp13baby
02-21-2018, 02:05 AM
It's worse than it appears due to time zones.

If someone from Portland flies at 10:00 a.m. to Memphis they'll arrive at what 5:30 (5.5 hour flight plus extra 2 hours for time zones). If someone from Portland flies at 10:00 a.m. to Miami they'll arrive at 8:30 (7.5 hour flight plus 3 extra hours for time zones).

So in that instance, arriving at 5:30 would allow you plenty of time to go to the hotel and eat and get a good nights sleep, arriving at 8:30 would not.

I get what your saying. But enough research has been done with circadian rhythm that this is a non issue. I don’t remember the spam but they researched this and about 66 percent of the time west coast teams traveled east they won.

FlashBolt
02-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Something tells me it isn't only the travel. Yes, that would be a concern due to a team having to travel from East to West and the entire format of it would be a hassle but I can bet many Eastern Conference team owners are not happy about a 1-16 format as they would lose playoffs representation. And it's not only for the playoffs as you would have to consider for the duration of an entire season to make things more fair. Ex: Currently WC teams play against more WC teams than they do EC. The entire scheduling would be far more difficult. I'd prefer a 1-16 spot but I don't think it'll be easy to sort.

Vinylman
02-21-2018, 12:33 PM
they should just do it the same and then reseed after first round based on regular season record.

No point in mixing the conferences in round 1...

the thing that is interesting is how would it effect the media markets if two teams from side of the country made it...

Definitely a lot to consider but when there are days off it isn't that big of a deal...

KnicksorBust
02-21-2018, 12:49 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/adam-silver-hints-at-changes-to-nba-playoff-format-but-says-travel-is-top-hurdle/

It's my hope that they do something like this. I'd love to see a mixture of conferences for the playoff matchups, as I think it would be super interesting.

If the NBA playoffs started today, the playoffs would look like this:

So of the 16 teams... 8 of them are from the East. 8 of them are from the West. The top 2 seeds are WC then #3, #4, #5 are EC. Is this a parity thing because I'm not buying the outrage anymore? It wouldn't even change the playoff teams. The conferences are becoming balanced again.

Toronto, Boston, and Cleveland are are still top teams. Pacers/Wizards are still playing well and the Sixers/Bucks are emerging young contenders. Keep it the way it is. I like the divisions and old school rivalries.

valade16
02-21-2018, 01:26 PM
I get what your saying. But enough research has been done with circadian rhythm that this is a non issue. I don’t remember the spam but they researched this and about 66 percent of the time west coast teams traveled east they won.

Not for West Coast teams, it's more for East Coast teams:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/redeye-traveling-to-the-west-coast-makes-sports-teams-suck-20160614-story.html

Because the research actually shows they have a disadvantage travelling to the West Coast. So I got it backwards it seems.

mightybosstone
02-21-2018, 02:46 PM
So of the 16 teams... 8 of them are from the East. 8 of them are from the West. The top 2 seeds are WC then #3, #4, #5 are EC. Is this a parity thing because I'm not buying the outrage anymore? It wouldn't even change the playoff teams. The conferences are becoming balanced again.

Toronto, Boston, and Cleveland are are still top teams. Pacers/Wizards are still playing well and the Sixers/Bucks are emerging young contenders. Keep it the way it is. I like the divisions and old school rivalries.
I agree that the timing of this discussion is strange because the league is so balanced this year, but this has been more the exception than the norm. If we looked at every season since the late 90s, the West has been the superior conference for two decades. And most seasons we've seen a dumpster fire of playoff series in the East.

KnicksorBust
02-21-2018, 03:32 PM

I agree that the timing of this discussion is strange because the league is so balanced this year, but this has been more the exception than the norm. If we looked at every season since the late 90s, the West has been the superior conference for two decades. And most seasons we've seen a dumpster fire of playoff series in the East.

Wouldn't it limit one of the things that makes sports great? Rivalries.

Maybe I am being nostalgic but in the 90s I loved those wars the Knicks would have with the Heat and Pacers. I hated those teams.

kdspurman
02-21-2018, 05:27 PM
"It just changes the landscape of the history of the game if you start messing with seedings and playoffs...It's cool to mess around with the All-Star Game—and we proved that you could do that—but let's not get too crazy about the playoffs. You have Eastern Conference, you have Western Conference."

Lebron not digging the idea lol

ewing
02-21-2018, 07:57 PM

Does he still have veto power?. I think he does but it’s not as strong as it once was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoots
02-21-2018, 11:39 PM

Silver said it and I felt like I could hear the ticking before he said he didn't like it :)

Next Silver says they are going to realign the schedule so #1 teams per division play more games against #1 teams from all the other divisions and #2s vs #2s and #3s vs #3s etc like the NFL does. That would certainly help parity in records ... the Warriors and Cavs playing each other 4 times a year while the Warriors only get the Suns 2 times a year. (not)

Jeffy25
02-22-2018, 12:45 AM
I haven't seen it, but do the conferences determine who makes the playoffs?

CityofTreez
02-22-2018, 01:11 AM
I enjoy the NBA Playoff structure so I don’t think it needs March Madness tweaking, but Silver is all about change.
It’s a cool feature though

Increases rivalries too.

Wade n Fade
02-22-2018, 01:38 AM
I think the current format is fine.

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Wouldn't it limit one of the things that makes sports great? Rivalries.

Maybe I am being nostalgic but in the 90s I loved those wars the Knicks would have with the Heat and Pacers. I hated those teams.

I actually think it would be good for rivalries in the long run, because the best teams would regularly see each other in the playoffs, we'd get better postseason matchups and we could feasibly see teams in the same conference in the Finals. How much fire would it add to the Houston-Golden State rivalry if they had to face each other in the Finals this year?

Also, how many really good rivalries do we really have in the NBA today? Maybe a handful? And as much as players move teams and teams move players in this era, I'm not sure we'd be losing much. I'd much rather have better playoff series and for rivalries to develop organically from those matchups than to see bad basketball in the postseason and rivalries develop because the same teams are always forced to play one another.

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 10:32 AM

And I get why. I love Lebron, and his Finals streak is one of the more remarkable feats in the history of the league. But this would seriously put that streak in jeopardy. Even as the 3 seed in the East right now, his path to the Finals this season is pretty doable. But if this were implemented this year, his Cavs would likely be tasked with facing Houston or Golden State in the semifinals.

It would also force his Cavs teams to put more emphasis on winning in the regular season, which would put a lot more pressure on him to play at 100 percent on both ends of the court every night.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2018, 12:33 PM
And I get why. I love Lebron, and his Finals streak is one of the more remarkable feats in the history of the league. But this would seriously put that streak in jeopardy. Even as the 3 seed in the East right now, his path to the Finals this season is pretty doable. But if this were implemented this year, his Cavs would likely be tasked with facing Houston or Golden State in the semifinals.

It would also force his Cavs teams to put more emphasis on winning in the regular season, which would put a lot more pressure on him to play at 100 percent on both ends of the court every night.

It's funny because your reply to me didn't sway my opinion at all but this post to another person did. Making the playoffs 1-16 would create more incentive for the top teams to play their best players and try and win as many games as possible. If you are the #3 seed in the West and you know you can't catch GState or Houston is very different from being the #7 seed overall and trying to climb up to #3 overall. You gotta win.

dhopisthename
02-22-2018, 01:20 PM

well to be fair there would be 9 west and 7 east teams. the Clippers have less losses then the heat. what I haven't seen yet is if it would be the 8 east teams and the 8 west teams and then a reseeding.

SfgiantsJD3
02-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Based on loss column, interesting matchups

Houston 44 13
Golden State 44 14
Toronto 41 16
Boston 40 19
Cleveland 34 22
San Antonio 35 24
Washington 33 24
Minnesota 36 25
Indiana 33 25
Milwaukee 32 25
Philadelphia 30 25
Oklahoma City 33 26
Denver 32 26
Portland 32 26
New Orleans 31 26
L.A. Clippers 30 26

SfgiantsJD3
02-22-2018, 04:14 PM
nevermind

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Implement this... do it now.

sixer04fan
02-22-2018, 05:09 PM
Keep it how it is

Meth
02-22-2018, 06:36 PM
This should've been done for a while now. Top 16 teams gives us a more enjoyable playoffs. In addition to top 16 teams making the post season, why not also have the top 2 (or 4) choose who they play against in the first round? It's all entertainment at the end of the day

ewing
02-22-2018, 07:34 PM
What about the uneven playoff travel? It would ruin everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiteWolf
02-22-2018, 07:36 PM
You can't have conferences and divisions the entire regular season then simply ignore them in the postseason.
Or turning it the other way, if you're going to simply seed the top 16 teams, there's no point in conferences and divisions or, at least, you have to create a balanced schedule where you're playing similar numbers of games against everybody.

Shammyguy3
02-22-2018, 07:57 PM
This should've been done for a while now. Top 16 teams gives us a more enjoyable playoffs. In addition to top 16 teams making the post season, why not also have the top 2 (or 4) choose who they play against in the first round? It's all entertainment at the end of the day

Then why not let all teams make the playoffs?

Chronz
02-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Lol, it really would screw him. None of the benefits of a western run squad and none of the benefits of facing the east lol

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-25-2018, 10:28 PM
This should be done. As it is, the Warriors might have to travel all the way to New Orleans in one round and to Minnesota in the next. What's an extra half-hour if they had to go to Miami or New York?

To keep an 82-game schedule, all teams would have to play 24 teams 3 times and 5 teams twice. Obviously they would have to swap years for who gets to play 2 games at home. Since travel is a big contention for some, they can eliminate a lot of travel throughout the year if they just had a double header Home Series when they play certain teams. So my Lakers would stay two nights in Boston to get rid of their Boston trips all at once. Then they could fly to New York to play two games there and so on and so on. The following year Boston and New York would play two games in L.A.

They could keep the division format only for the two-game purposes. So the Pacific Division would have to play the Atlantic division only twice for two years. Then they should rotate and have the Pacific Division play the south east Division only twice.

This would severely cut down yearly travel and flight cost. So by the time the playoffs come along, the extra half hour to hour flight on a private jet won't be so bad.

Giannis94
02-26-2018, 12:07 AM
Then why not let all teams make the playoffs?

Get rid of the lottery then and make all rookies FA's if all teams make the .playoffs.

Shammyguy3
02-26-2018, 01:28 AM
Get rid of the lottery then and make all rookies FA's if all teams make the .playoffs.

The discussion was about entertainment. This wouldn't really do anything for me. Ayton, Bagley, Doncic could all decide to sign with one team in this scenario, which is far more likely than signing multiple big-time established free agents. If those 3 hit, then so much for parity.

Although, this would stop tanking altogether

BlueandWhite
02-26-2018, 07:08 AM
The discussion was about entertainment. This wouldn't really do anything for me. Ayton, Bagley, Doncic could all decide to sign with one team in this scenario, which is far more likely than signing multiple big-time established free agents. If those 3 hit, then so much for parity.

Although, this would stop tanking altogether

Yeah...god forbid we get rid of the parity in the league! if we did that 1-2 teams would dominate every year...:eyebrow:

I really like this idea. Rookies are free agents, no rookie contract limitations. Then, yes they could sign with the same team, but they wont. A rookie coming out of college, made NO money yet, is not going to sign a team friendly contract to be on a winning team. The teams will still have the salary cap issues. So there is no way 3 rookies all take low offers to play together. Just wouldn't happen.

warfelg
02-26-2018, 09:43 AM

I know this is a few pages back but spot on. Seeing where the seeds would fall I’m not buying the outrage.

warfelg
02-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Go back a few years and do this and you’ll find it isnt as unbalanced as you thing.

Scoots
02-26-2018, 10:43 AM
I know this is a few pages back but spot on. Seeing where the seeds would fall I’m not buying the outrage.

The issue is only that the schedules are not balanced right now. I think an NFL like schedule where the 1s play the 1s more and the 2s play the 2s more etc. It forces parity by making it harder for the better teams to win year to year because their schedules are at their best guess at being harder year to year.

Shammyguy3
02-26-2018, 10:50 AM
Yeah...god forbid we get rid of the parity in the league! if we did that 1-2 teams would dominate every year...:eyebrow:

I really like this idea. Rookies are free agents, no rookie contract limitations. Then, yes they could sign with the same team, but they wont. A rookie coming out of college, made NO money yet, is not going to sign a team friendly contract to be on a winning team. The teams will still have the salary cap issues. So there is no way 3 rookies all take low offers to play together. Just wouldn't happen.

Who said anything about low? A team with cap this summer couls offer 3 5 year deals at $15 mil annually.

warfelg
02-26-2018, 10:57 AM
The issue is only that the schedules are not balanced right now. I think an NFL like schedule where the 1s play the 1s more and the 2s play the 2s more etc. It forces parity by making it harder for the better teams to win year to year because their schedules are at their best guess at being harder year to year.

That makes the in division schedule unbalanced then. Doesn’t really do much.

The nba schedule is fine of 2 against opposite conference, 4 against 1 division, 3 against the other, 4 against your division.

Only way I could see it changing is you only play the 2 corresponding seeds in the opposing conference (12 games rather than 30), replace the other 18 games with 6 total games in division (8 more games there), So you got 10 more games to fill out. An extra home and home against the same ranked teams in the other two divisions (4 more games). Finally 6 games left that the NBA could use the theoretically “balance”.

But the reason the nba likes the current set up is every city gets to see every team at least once a year. For a star driven league that’s huge.

Scoots
02-26-2018, 12:27 PM
That makes the in division schedule unbalanced then. Doesn’t really do much.

The nba schedule is fine of 2 against opposite conference, 4 against 1 division, 3 against the other, 4 against your division.

Only way I could see it changing is you only play the 2 corresponding seeds in the opposing conference (12 games rather than 30), replace the other 18 games with 6 total games in division (8 more games there), So you got 10 more games to fill out. An extra home and home against the same ranked teams in the other two divisions (4 more games). Finally 6 games left that the NBA could use the theoretically “balance”.

But the reason the nba likes the current set up is every city gets to see every team at least once a year. For a star driven league that’s huge.

I agree that the league likes the current schedule ... I was just saying that to balance it out with both travel and use strength of schedule to improve parity. And every city still gets to see every team at least once.

4 games against your division = 16 games
4 games against each matching seed = 20 games (1s play 1s, 2s play 2s, etc)
3 games against each matching seed + 1 = 12 games (1s play 2s, 2s play 3s, etc, 5s play extra games against the 5s)
2 game against each other team = 34 games

82 games, everyone gets to see every team, the worst teams get the easiest schedule the next year, travel is well randomized.

LA4life24/8
02-26-2018, 01:15 PM
I've wanted this for a long time. I'd even go as far as top 16 overall not 8 and 8 from each conference (the eastern teams would never sign off on this).

The lottery would end up bein like 10 east teams and 4 west teams lol (most years).

I get the travel time and how it would extend the season and years w the Olympics would really create issues for top players almost having next to no offseason (Well less) but i think it would just make for a better overall playoffs. And a lot of fans want this. Isnt that what they want? Fans to be entertained enough to keep watching?

Scoots
02-26-2018, 02:22 PM
I've wanted this for a long time. I'd even go as far as top 16 overall not 8 and 8 from each conference (the eastern teams would never sign off on this).

The lottery would end up bein like 10 east teams and 4 west teams lol (most years).

I get the travel time and how it would extend the season and years w the Olympics would really create issues for top players almost having next to no offseason (Well less) but i think it would just make for a better overall playoffs. And a lot of fans want this. Isnt that what they want? Fans to be entertained enough to keep watching?

I agree, it should be top 16.

We can fix the Olympics issue by going back to college players only and fix college by making it like MLB and the players can come direct after high school or have to stay 2 years in college. A team made up of 2 year college players should have a shot at a medal in the Olympics.

LA4life24/8
02-26-2018, 02:40 PM
I agree, it should be top 16.

We can fix the Olympics issue by going back to college players only and fix college by making it like MLB and the players can come direct after high school or have to stay 2 years in college. A team made up of 2 year college players should have a shot at a medal in the Olympics.

True they could do that w college players in the Olympics. Or like a heavy mix of top college players (soon to be NBA players) And top guys from non playoff teams? Or even top guys from 1st round exits (if they so choose to partake)

They'd still have a chance at a medal but it wouldnt be the "given" it is as when we send our top guys. But honestly, me personally? Idc as much about Olympics in bball cuz everyone knows we win when we send our best.