PDA

View Full Version : This years cant miss prospects?

More-Than-Most
02-17-2018, 03:14 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/14/nba-draft-2018-duke-arizona-villanova-wendell-carter-jalen-brunson

Its that time again... the time where we get the deepest draft ever and 9 guys who are cant miss guys and will be the next big thing... so who is your best of this upcoming class and why?

Heediot
02-17-2018, 06:58 AM
I don't know about 9. 5 nice prospects to me, not sure about the term can't miss.

Last year was deep too, but Fultz was injured, Ball is slowly developing, Tatum and Mitchell look legit. Someother guys showing potential. Last years class was supposed to be deep, but it seems like the top part of last year lotto picks have been underwhelming.

I think Ayton will turn out to be the best of the Bunch. If Doncic had better footspeed it's easily him. Doncic should still be an all-star type and is the most pro-ready. Ayton, Bagley, Doncic in that order of who is best. Ayton has the best combination of size, skill, and athleticism. For a big man his shot is good for his age. Bagley is more polished offensively and looks more versatile on that end. Doncic might need help on defense, and his ability to beat his man of the dribble might be hindered by his footspeed, but the no touch rules and the pick n roll dominant game of the league will help him a lot.

Heediot
02-17-2018, 07:05 AM
I don't think the guys in the articles are can't miss. They are more like Sleeper prospects.

Trae Young is something else though, but I have to see if he can handle the physicality of the league. He should be fine as his body should fill up more as he ages. His shot is money, and he sucks in a defense like Curry does for OU.

GREATNESS ONE
02-17-2018, 11:32 AM
LianGelo Ball!

Scoots
02-17-2018, 11:49 AM
I don't think there are any cant-miss prospects this year. There are several guys who look like the could be very good a few who could be great, but there are significant questions about ALL of them.

jaydubb
02-17-2018, 11:53 AM
I don't think there are any cant-miss prospects this year. There are several guys who look like the could be very good a few who could be great, but there are significant questions about ALL of them.I agree with this. It looks like a good draft, but there's no LeBron James or Anthony Davis type prospects in this draft

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Giannis94
02-17-2018, 12:51 PM
LianGelo Ball!

Why do you think the lakers got the Cavs mid-first?

Tg11
02-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Trae Young, Bagley and Ayton are my 3 picks who I think will end up being studs in this league

Bostonjorge
02-18-2018, 04:52 PM
The top 3 canít miss is the 3 bigs who all have different games.

#3. Ayton plays like Embiid. Heís the biggest body and likes to play with his back to the basket. Like Embiid he likes to catch it on top of the key and try to take you off the dribble and he also shots 1-2 threes a game sometimes. Great rebounder.

#2. Bagley think Davis. This guy graduated early, instead of his senior year in High School heís playing his freshman year in college. Heís the new type of big. A good defender who can also guard the perimeter and run the court. He can stretch the floor but his elite scoring is all done inside the ark. Heís a definitely canít miss.

#1. Micheal Porter jr. Think Ben Simmons. Porter is another rare point forward. A big who can handle and pass like a point is always a great weapon to have. He can shot the 3 and work the post. Heís injured and missed almost all of his college season but he wonít fall and most likely still go #1. Definitely a canít miss.

flea
02-18-2018, 06:00 PM
I watch SEC and ACC mostly so I only really know those players. Neither Ayton nor Young impressed me when I saw them, but I've only seen each one or two times. Ayton should be dominating and this is one of the weaker Arizona teams in a while, which just shouldn't happen with a prospect as good as he is plus Trier on the team.

There aren't really any 'can't-miss' guys in the SEC except I guess Porter but he hasn't played (his brother has had a nice season though). But there are a ton of potential stars in the SEC. Kentucky is full of guys who haven't lived up to their potential but who play in the NBA. Diallo has moments but has been inconsistent and I definitely wouldn't say he's 'can't miss.' Kevin Knox has been pretty good and will go the highest among Kentucky guys I'd guess but he also hasn't been terribly consistent. Gilgeous-Alexander has been the best 'Cat this year (at least in SEC play) to me so far but he's also inconsistent. Collin Sexton is definitely the best SEC prospect IMO, I think he's a better prospect than De'Aaron Fox with a similar skillset but better feel for being a PG.

In the ACC there are some but not as many as most years, especially once you exclude the Duke roster. Joel Berry might be a solid backup PG but I worry about his low release playing in a league with less space for a jumper, especially from guards. Duke's got enough talent to have 4 1st round choices however. Duval is compared to Westbrook a lot and I see it in that he can't shoot and he's very athletic. Not really a PG at this point, more of a slasher but Westbrook never played PG in college so that fits.

I'd actually draft Gary Trent Jr. over Duval because of his size and how well his shot has come around. It's weird to think he was a liability early in the year but he's been hot for a few months now. He's got good athleticism and defensive potential, to go with some nice moves in the paint off the drive either stepping back or with a nice running hook. He's not a ballhandler so I'm not sure if he can be as good as Brandon Ingram but Ingram wasn't much of a college handler either. It's hard to say because being a ballhandler is so easy in the NBA now, but in college it's still sort of hard.

Wendell Carter is starting to get some love after being in Bagley's shadow at first and I think he'd be a great addition to any team. He's a better shotblocker than Bagley, and a better low-post scorer because he has more moves and is good with both hands. His all-around game isn't what Bagley's is and he's not an elite athlete but he's got a good feel for the game. His shooting is not bad but it could improve and he could probably play either 4 or 5.

Bagley I would take #1 overall, but I think it will probably be Ayton because his athleticism and shooting. But whereas Ayton has been inconsistent on both ends, Bagley has been very consistent for how young he is. He doesn't have elite athleticism and he's not a good defender at this point but he has the tools to be a good 4 or 5 in the NBA because of his mobility/agility. However he'll always be an offensive player first. He's deadly with his left hand in the low-post but can't do much going right except try to use his footwork to get off an awkward shot. He's a really good driver/ballhandler for a big man and often can get points off a pump fake from 3 and a drive. He also handles in transition a fair amount, and competently. He's a good passer and playing with Carter has helped his interior passing. Not as good of a shotblocker as Carter but he's shown instincts to be good enough for a 4 or 5 at rim protection - it's mental at this point. Probably his other major tool besides his mobility/smoothness are his hands. Best hands for a college big maybe since Tim Duncan. It makes him an elite rebounder and great offensively on entry passes or off the roll.

Bostonjorge
02-18-2018, 07:23 PM
If Philly gets first or Boston lands top 3 pick then they taking the east next year. One of these scenario will be amazing.

Philly big 3 Simmons, Porter and Embiid. Having a 7ft monster down low and two 7ft amazing ball handlers as the floor generals. That would scare everybody in the league.

If Boston can draft Bagley at #2 then Boston becomes a super scary team. Seeing what Stevens did for Horford, Bagley will become a force on defense. With Hayward coming back the Celtics will be a young Super Team.

Lakers + Giants
02-18-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure MTM was referring to the fact that EVERY YEAR people hype up the draft as being the best draft since 2003 lmao. He was being facetious.

flea
02-18-2018, 08:13 PM
If Philly gets first or Boston lands top 3 pick then they taking the east next year. One of these scenario will be amazing.

Philly big 3 Simmons, Porter and Embiid. Having a 7ft monster down low and two 7ft amazing ball handlers as the floor generals. That would scare everybody in the league.

If Boston can draft Bagley at #2 then Boston becomes a super scary team. Seeing what Stevens did for Horford, Bagley will become a force on defense. With Hayward coming back the Celtics will be a young Super Team.

Stephens didn't do anything for Horford other than benefit from his departure from Atlanta.

tredigs
02-18-2018, 08:36 PM
This to me is the most prolific draft of the decade. Porter Jr. should be incredible when healthy, Ayton is a guaranteed high impact player, and I like Donkic a lot. Donkic is the most "Can't miss" in that he's already crushing against elite professionals and his game is asnfluid as they come. There's a handful more I'm excited about this coming year. Generally I could care less, this year is special.

More-Than-Most
02-18-2018, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty sure MTM was referring to the fact that EVERY YEAR people hype up the draft as being the best draft since 2003 lmao. He was being facetious.

Its honestly the dumbest **** in the world lol... like its good for the sport i get it and how the nba and their writers have done this is amazing and its only going to get more hyped down the line esp how teams are coveting their first and 2nd rounders this year. Every year we are hyping up the next lebron or hyping up the next super kobe/tmac type draft where the draft has 10 players with super star potential and 5 guys that are promised guys and every year the Okafors/wiggins/mudiay etc either bust or dont live up to the hype and we rinse/repeat with the next draft.

for every 1 superstar there is literally 40 guys that just flat out dont even make it to the nba or make much impact in the nba.

Giannis94
02-18-2018, 11:38 PM
Stephens didn't do anything for Horford other than benefit from his departure from Atlanta.
Pretty sure Boston will get the kings pick next year unless it's #1 in which Philly gets it. But. I don't see Lal ending top 5.

TylerSL
02-19-2018, 09:30 AM
I believe DeAndre Ayton and Trae Young are going to be the two best players in the draft.

Vee-Rex
02-19-2018, 09:48 AM
This draft indeed looks to be special.

lakerfan85
02-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Mo Bamba!!!

Giannis94
02-19-2018, 10:23 AM
This draft indeed looks to be special.
Is it going to be special? Or jut special to the top 4-5 teams and then a massive drop off after?