PDA

View Full Version : Best Player of All-Time At Their Peak (#15)

valade16
02-15-2018, 04:21 PM
So we do a “top 25 greatest players of all-time list” here on PSD, but I wanted to do a best, not greatest list.

What is the difference?

This is NOT a list that measures a players career or accolades, it is simply a list of, if all the players were in their peak/in their prime/at their best/etc. and all in a draft, who would you take first on your team.

Current List

1. Michael Jordan
2. LeBron James
T3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
T3. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Shaquille O’Neal
6. Magic Johnson
7. Larry Bird
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Tim Duncan
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Steph Curry
12. Moses Malone
13. Tracy McGrady
14. Bill Walton

tredigs
02-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Time for 03 to 05 KG to go.

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Durant... he actually should be quite a bit higher, but he is absolutely hated in this forum (not that he doesn't deserve the hate). I think he should be closer to where Magic and Bird are.

Chronz
02-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Durant... he actually should be quite a bit higher, but he is absolutely hated in this forum (not that he doesn't deserve the hate). I think he should be closer to where Magic and Bird are.
Not convinced. **** the guy who refused to prove his greatness. He's after West and possibly chuck imo.

valade16
02-15-2018, 05:17 PM
For me it's Dwyane Wade slightly over KD, but then I'm going to have to start looking at Big O, West and Dr. J.

Chronz
02-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Doc? Lol why

KnicksorBust
02-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Current Durant. One of the 5 most unguardable and efficient scorers of all-time and now an all-nba 1st team defensive player who can guard 1-5 and protect the rim.

valade16
02-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Doc? Lol why

Because he was that good. He won two titles with his ABA New York team and in the second Finals vs. the Nuggets who featured an NBA level team with David Thompson, Dan Issel, Bobby Jones and Ralph Simpson he averaged 37.7 PPG and as soon as he went to Philly there immediately became a title contending team who made the ECF ever single year before Moses arrived except 1 and made 3 Finals.

It's not about resume obviously, but looking at what he did in his Finals before Moses:

vs Blazers 30 PPG, 7 reb, 5 ast, 2.7 stl, 54.3% FG
vs Lakers 25 PPG, 7 reb, 5 ast, 2 stl, 2.3 blk, 52.2% FG
vs Lakers 25 PPG, 8 reb, 3 ast, 1.8 stl, 1.3 blk, 54.3% FG

He was just that good.

tredigs
02-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Current Durant. One of the 5 most unguardable and efficient scorers of all-time and now an all-nba 1st team defensive player who can guard 1-5 and protect the rim.

Lol. He has his moments defensively but no, this quote and the general narrative around his D lately are becoming massively overblown. He's getting wrecked by any center with size+strength and he's not guarding any PG's with consistency. 2-4 is up his alley and while he's inconsistent on that end, he's definitely become a solid defender. He may earn All NBA 1st team, but his D has been little better than "above average" for us. Offensively, he's GOAT level in ISO and a great kick-out option, but his playmaking and off-ball movement in general does not make him the most potent force on that end. 03-05 KG was truly an All-NBA 1st Team defender (at a time with a healthy Duncan + Ben Wallace among others), as well as All-NBA 1st Team and the league MVP. It's possible KD is not All-NBA 1st Team even this season. Garnett also lead the league in PER, WinShares, BPM, VORP and RAPM in b2b seasons on 23/14/5 (top rebounder in the league as well). He's past due at #15.

KnicksorBust
02-15-2018, 08:20 PM

Lol. He has his moments defensively but no, this quote and the general narrative around his D lately are becoming massively overblown. He's getting wrecked by any center with size+strength and he's not guarding any PG's with consistency. 2-4 is up his alley and while he's inconsistent on that end, he's definitely become a solid defender. He may earn All NBA 1st team, but his D has been little better than "above average" for us. Offensively, he's GOAT level in ISO and a great kick-out option, but his playmaking and off-ball movement in general does not make him the most potent force on that end. 03-05 KG was truly an All-NBA 1st Team defender (at a time with a healthy Duncan + Ben Wallace among others), as well as All-NBA 1st Team and the league MVP. It's possible KD is not All-NBA 1st Team even this season. Garnett also lead the league in PER, WinShares, BPM, VORP and RAPM in b2b seasons on 23/14/5 (top rebounder in the league as well). He's past due at #15.

You really would rather build a team around KG than peak Durant? I don't know if I believe you.

ChiSox219
02-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Wow this is a weird list. I think KD and KG both should be already chosen over some of the guys.

tredigs
02-15-2018, 09:02 PM
You really would rather build a team around KG than peak Durant? I don't know if I believe you.

The games best defender and rebounder along with 23 and 5? Yeah, I'd rather have him. You could argue it right with Duncan's peak. I also don't think it's a complete fluke that KG rated at or near the top of RAPM all through his peak, while KD is currently well outside the top 10 (he actually rates negative defensively... and we are far worse on D with him on the court this year... but is also outside the top 10 in just ORPM).

mightybosstone
02-15-2018, 09:32 PM
Yeahhhh.... I dunno that I'm going to keep voting in these. This list has kinda of fallen apart. McGrady going as high as he did totally killed it for me. And I'm ultimately fine with Walton going where he went, but I would have taken a couple of guys higher. Six centers in the top 14 with McGrady while Wade, Oscar and West are all still sitting there is just crazy to me.

Jamiecballer
02-15-2018, 09:46 PM
You really would rather build a team around KG than peak Durant? I don't know if I believe you.I don't just believe him i agree. KG was my idea of basketball perfection for a good 5 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

WaDe03
02-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Looks like we're going to vote another guy ahead of Wade that shouldn't be. This is sad honestly, just more so proves my point that Wade is one of the most underappreciated all time greats we've seen.

WaDe03
02-16-2018, 09:38 AM
Wade should've been 10th, he may barely crack the top 20 lmao!

GREATNESS ONE
02-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Kobe is 10th :laugh2:

Chronz
02-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Wow this is a weird list. I think KD and KG both should be already chosen over some of the guys.

Does the list invalidate the whole chronz has a Boner for tmac cliche? Why not west

Chronz
02-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Shouldn't have lost to the hawks I guess. Or just develop some kind of range

Chronz
02-16-2018, 01:41 PM
At what point are we being ridiculous for not electing Russell

valade16
02-16-2018, 01:47 PM

I don't know, I've wondered that myself. But remember this is a list not of accolades or accomplishments, but of their ability. Given that, I really have no idea where he should go.

KnicksorBust
02-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Always felt he should be a 2nd round pick in an all-time.

WaDe03
02-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Shouldn't have lost to the hawks I guess. Or just develop some kind of range

Joe Johnson, Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Bibby vs Wade and garbage. It's amazing he was able to push it to 7.

valade16
02-16-2018, 02:14 PM

If you could get like Barkley/Russell or KD/Russell you'd be looking very good IMO. Those are mid to late 1st round picks.

tredigs
02-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Aviut when Tmac went over him.

Chronz
02-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Aviut when Tmac went over him.
Lol you right but how many tmacs does it take till we gotta stop disrespecting a guy who had a Wilt level impact

Chronz
02-16-2018, 03:36 PM
I don't know, I've wondered that myself. But remember this is a list not of accolades or accomplishments, but of their ability. Given that, I really have no idea where he should go.
Do you feel his defense translates less today than Wilts offense

Chronz
02-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Joe Johnson, Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Bibby vs Wade and garbage. It's amazing he was able to push it to 7.
Lol nvm I thought you were saying bubby was on wades team. Umm yeah given their stages, it's not that impressive compared to others who were more productive

valade16
02-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Do you feel his defense translates less today than Wilts offense

That's a good question. I'm not sure. I do wonder how Wilt (or any other low post big) would translate today because of all the defensive rules to deny him the ball and double them.

For Russell, I think his rim protection would still be valuable and his blocks to his teammates that started fast breaks. The biggest question would be, how would he handle defending pick and rolls in space? I know he was a track superstar so he was very athletic. It would just be interesting to see.

ChiSox219
02-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Does the list invalidate the whole chronz has a Boner for tmac cliche? Why not west

Dont worry Mueller is coming for you next for influencing this voting

Walton usually goes late 1st, it's weird to see him so high even though I have tremendous respect for his talent.