PDA

View Full Version : Closing push Western Conference

Scoots
02-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Right now the there are only 4 games in the loss column between the 3rd seed (Spurs) and the 10th (Jazz). EVERY game after the all-star break is going to be must-win for all 8 of those teams.

The Jazz (current 10th seed) have the easiest remaining schedule, the Clippers seem to have turned things around ... really all of those teams are playing well and seem to have stabilized after some early issues.

The Western playoffs are going to be brutal.

(if someone else wants to do the Eastern Conference, please do)

Hawkeye15
02-15-2018, 10:17 AM
I fully expect my Wolves to fade in the standings. I am guessing they finish 10-12, and fall to 7th seed.

Giannis94
02-15-2018, 11:04 AM
I fully expect my Wolves to fade in the standings. I am guessing they finish 10-12, and fall to 7th seed.

I think they could give houston a run for their money if they're not dog tired/rundown which has happened to most tibb coached teams.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2018, 11:11 AM
I think they could give houston a run for their money if they're not dog tired/rundown which has happened to most tibb coached teams.

can't win a gun fight with a knife. We can't hit 3's at a clip to keep up with either Houston or GS. And we don't dominate enough down low with Thib's "play 2 bigs" agenda, so it's not like we create a matchup issue elsewhere.

Plus, we start, and play, Teague and Wiggins huge minutes, and they are both absolute garbage.

Scoots
02-15-2018, 11:13 AM

Right now the difference from 6 to 10 is essentially nothing ... a 10-12 finish could have them missing the playoffs.

Giannis94
02-15-2018, 11:24 AM
can't win a gun fight with a knife. We can't hit 3's at a clip to keep up with either Houston or GS. And we don't dominate enough down low with Thib's "play 2 bigs" agenda, so it's not like we create a matchup issue elsewhere.

Plus, we start, and play, Teague and Wiggins huge minutes, and they are both absolute garbage.

I'm so sad Wiggy hasn't panned out. So much atheltic ability there.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2018, 11:44 AM
I'm so sad Wiggy hasn't panned out. So much atheltic ability there.

He doesn't give a ****. Always been his problem. No fire at all. The guy is a classic coaster. We all know them. It's just frustrating when you see one of those guys, and they possess so much natural talent.

Giannis94
02-15-2018, 11:50 AM
He doesn't give a ****. Always been his problem. No fire at all. The guy is a classic coaster. We all know them. It's just frustrating when you see one of those guys, and they possess so much natural talent.

That's weird. During the draft and leading up to it, everyone had him as the clear #1, Jabari 2 and Embi 3. Jabari and embi have a TBD career path. So we'll see how that shakes out.

mightybosstone
02-15-2018, 11:56 AM
I said this in the general thread, but it's worth noting here that the Rockets have essentially a two-game lead over the Warriors in the loss column. If Golden State wants home-court afvantage throughout the playoffs, they've got some ground to make up.

Giannis94
02-15-2018, 12:06 PM
I said this in the general thread, but it's worth noting here that the Rockets have essentially a two-game lead over the Warriors in the loss column. If Golden State wants home-court afvantage throughout the playoffs, they've got some ground to make up.

I'd say there is a 99.9% chance one of those two teams come out of the west. If it is any other team, I will become a fan on the side of that team

rhino17
02-15-2018, 12:31 PM

As a Houston fan, Minny would be my ideal 2nd round matchup. Houston is a terrible matchup for them.

Giannis94
02-15-2018, 12:36 PM
As a Houston fan, Minny would be my ideal 2nd round matchup. Houston is a terrible matchup for them.

I feel like (aside from GSW as the 1/2 seed are pretty much set tbd by stretch run) the teams that you would want to face are:

Denver
NO (I think Davis could wreck a series if his teammates show up)
Minny

Huge Drop off
SA
POR
OKC

I also think Portland is dangerous. Especially if Lillard and CJ go off and get straky hot for a few games.

Vee-Rex
02-15-2018, 12:46 PM
That's weird. During the draft and leading up to it, everyone had him as the clear #1, Jabari 2 and Embi 3. Jabari and embi have a TBD career path. So we'll see how that shakes out.

Embiid actually eclipsed both Jabari and Wiggins in the draft. My Cavs were gonna take him #1 but discovered the fracture in his foot, and decided to go with Wiggins instead.

Ironically, Philly fans better be glad Embiid is the way he is or they'd never have him in the first place.

Giannis94
02-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Embiid actually eclipsed both Jabari and Wiggins in the draft. My Cavs were gonna take him #1 but discovered the fracture in his foot, and decided to go with Wiggins instead.

Ironically, Philly fans better be glad Embiid is the way he is or they'd never have him in the first place.
I'm happy with Jabari. Embi injury risk is just so insanely high. I hope it works out. But it's a scary proposition

dhopisthename
02-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Right now the difference from 6 to 10 is essentially nothing ... a 10-12 finish could have them missing the playoffs.

agreed. I see no reason why they would be that bad though. really crazy that only 4.5 games seperate the spurs at #3 from the Jazz at #10.

PayDaPiper
02-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Kenny Smith just said it best on First Take.

Warriors are bored, once they turn it on into playoff mode, they aren't being stopped. Turnovers are their own worst enemy.

Firefistus
02-15-2018, 01:17 PM
fivethirtyeight has Utah wining 16 more games. I do believe that's how many teams we're playing at home under 500 the rest of the season. I'd say that's a pretty safe bet for Utah. That would put Utah at 46 wins on the season, is it enough to make the playoffs is the question.

Heediot

Rubio and Lavine may have been the ones to keep?

TrueFan420
It's only one... your 44-13 and we're 44-14... unless you have the tie break then I stand corrected

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Curious to know why you think they'll fall to 7th. Another question i'm curious as to your thoughts... How do you think they'll match up with OKC in the playoffs?

Vee-Rex
02-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Here's my end-of-season prediction for the West standings:

1. Houston
2. Golden State
3. Oklahoma City
4. Minnesota
5. San Antonio
6. Portland
7. Denver
8. Utah

mightybosstone
02-15-2018, 02:08 PM
It's only one... your 44-13 and we're 44-14... unless you have the tie break then I stand corrected

They have the tiebreaker. You are corrected, sir.

mightybosstone
02-15-2018, 02:12 PM

1. Houston
2. Golden State
3. Oklahoma City
4. Minnesota
5. San Antonio
6. Portland
7. Denver
8. Utah
If Kawhi doesn't come back, that's probably about right. If he does come back with enough time, no way do the Spurs not get the 3 seed. He's the biggest wild card in the West right now.

Utah is the other major wild card. If this streak isn't a fluke and they've actually figured things out, then they'll finish higher than 8th. I could feasibly see them finishing as high as 5th.

Vee-Rex
02-15-2018, 02:25 PM
If Kawhi doesn't come back, that's probably about right. If he does come back with enough time, no way do the Spurs not get the 3 seed. He's the biggest wild card in the West right now.

Utah is the other major wild card. If this streak isn't a fluke and they've actually figured things out, then they'll finish higher than 8th. I could feasibly see them finishing as high as 5th.

I think the Spurs are gonna be very careful with Kawhi and keep him out until mid-late March and try to get him going in time for the playoffs.

Utah is definitely harder to predict. I think they'll cool off a bit and their remaining schedule seems kind of tough (2x vs. Minny, 2x vs. GS, 2x vs Portland, HOU, BOS, and some mediocre teams). But their range does seem to be anywhere from #5-#8.

Portland has a tough schedule too, while Denver might have the easiest between them and Utah/Portland. So maybe Denver finishes 6th.

tredigs
02-15-2018, 02:48 PM

The Rockets have had a top-5 easiest strength of schedule. It gets a lot more brutal for them in the month following the ASB (a lot of road games against playoff teams + some road b2b's). The Warriors have an easier go at it, and should pass them in the standing again going into April.

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 03:11 PM
They have the tiebreaker. You are corrected, sir.
I think you'll likely end in the 1 seed even if you didn't have the tie breaker. With your new look team I feel like your taking the reg season far more seriously then the warriors as I imagine their likely disinterested this year.

The Rockets have had a top-5 easiest strength of schedule. It gets a lot more brutal for them in the month following the ASB (a lot of road games against playoff teams + some road b2b's). The Warriors have an easier go at it, and should pass them in the standing again going into April.

I'll take your word on the strength of schedule but I think they still beat us out for the 1 seed. We just don't seem to care this year and with Houston adding Paul and some other pieces their likely taking these games more seriously as their trying to integrate and set the tone of how they play together.

KnicksorBust
02-15-2018, 03:13 PM
2 game lead before the all-star break? Come on. I'll take G-State.

Great thread because you rarely see a situation where 3 seed at the all-star break could end up a 10 seed by the end of the season. Even though there are no stakes here and no one will remember my prediction I just have no confidence in sorting out the Denvers and Portlands of the world so I will just pass on this one. I do think Minnesota is still the most interesting dark horse playoff threat despite Hawk's anti-homerism.

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 03:18 PM
2 game lead before the all-star break? Come on. I'll take G-State.

Great thread because you rarely see a situation where 3 seed at the all-star break could end up a 10 seed by the end of the season. Even though there are no stakes here and no one will remember my prediction I just have no confidence in sorting out the Denvers and Portlands of the world so I will just pass on this one. I do think Minnesota is still the most interesting dark horse playoff threat despite Hawk's anti-homerism.

I think it's between Minny and OKC as far as best dark horse. They both have a lot of talent and game changers. Either side could make an upset.

Chronz
02-15-2018, 03:22 PM
For real, Teague has been absolute dog **** compared to his prior standards. Not saying it's all on him but man, I didn't understand that decision then and I like it less now. Why not keep the defender or more productive player over the chucker and athletic chucker

Chronz
02-15-2018, 03:23 PM
I think it's between Minny and OKC as far as best dark horse. They both have a lot of talent and game changers. Either side could make an upset.
Okc is done man. People underestimate Roberson

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Okc is done man. People underestimate Roberson

No doubt he plays a huge role for them defensively but they have the top end talent. PG13 might have to take on more as he won't have Roberson there to help him on that end but I think they'll still be a tough out for any team... warriors included. They can also still pick up some waived players like Allen to help bolster that end.

mightybosstone
02-15-2018, 03:55 PM
We'll see, man. But the way they're playing now, and as deep as they are, it's going to be hard for anyone to make up two games on them the rest of the season barring a major injury.

And their schedule really doesn't scare me that much. Unlike previous seasons when there were multiple teams who scared me, there's really no one outside of the Warriors who should be favored in a game against a healthy Rockets squad. And Houston doesn't play the Warriors or the Cavs the rest of the way.

tredigs
02-15-2018, 04:16 PM
We'll see, man. But the way they're playing now, and as deep as they are, it's going to be hard for anyone to make up two games on them the rest of the season barring a major injury.

And their schedule really doesn't scare me that much. Unlike previous seasons when there were multiple teams who scared me, there's really no one outside of the Warriors who should be favored in a game against a healthy Rockets squad. And Houston doesn't play the Warriors or the Cavs the rest of the way.

1.5 games is not much with 25 to go, far from "major injury" disclaimer territory. Given the SOS discrepancy the odds are probably 50/50, but I'd imagine the Warriors edge them out if it's something they really want to pursue. But it's all together possible that they choose to rest over chasing the 1 seed, and the same could go for Houston. These teams are really no better or worse at home or away (Warriors literally have the same record and the Rockets just shy of the same).

The 5-10 playoff picture is much more intriguing. The Jazz are surging and definitely look like they'll be snagging a playoff spot now that they're healthy. Pels are my choice to get bumped.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Lavine probably. Rubio, meh. He is better than Teague, but I still would have worried about teams pinning him into very uncomfortable spots on offense come playoffs when you see the same team 7 times.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Curious to know why you think they'll fall to 7th. Another question i'm curious as to your thoughts... How do you think they'll match up with OKC in the playoffs?

Because we don't win on the road, have a decently hard schedule, and it's the Wolves. 28 years of their **** and I don't believe in them at all. They will wear down to close the season, and I frankly don't think we win a lot more games this year.

we won't play OKC, they are caving like we are with zip defense.

TheDish87
02-15-2018, 06:33 PM
pretty wild bcuz the East is the exact same way

dhopisthename
02-15-2018, 07:05 PM
I think the Spurs are gonna be very careful with Kawhi and keep him out until mid-late March and try to get him going in time for the playoffs.

Utah is definitely harder to predict. I think they'll cool off a bit and their remaining schedule seems kind of tough (2x vs. Minny, 2x vs. GS, 2x vs Portland, HOU, BOS, and some mediocre teams). But their range does seem to be anywhere from #5-#8.

Portland has a tough schedule too, while Denver might have the easiest between them and Utah/Portland. So maybe Denver finishes 6th.

im pretty sure I read the Jazz have the easiest of the schedules for the teams battling for the playoffs after the warriors. http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/westernsosrg.html#sflx

Scoots
02-15-2018, 07:36 PM

There's a long list of guys who have all the talent in the world but don't ever really engage. It is really frustrating for fans.

Scoots
02-15-2018, 07:40 PM
im pretty sure I read the Jazz have the easiest of the schedules for the teams battling for the playoffs after the warriors. http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/westernsosrg.html#sflx

Warriors 27th hardest remaining scheduler, Rockets 7th hardest and they both have more than 10 game lead on 3rd place in the loss column.

I like that site by the way.

Vee-Rex
02-15-2018, 08:33 PM

Ahh, that certainly bodes well for Utah.

Vee-Rex
02-15-2018, 08:36 PM
No doubt he plays a huge role for them defensively but they have the top end talent. PG13 might have to take on more as he won't have Roberson there to help him on that end but I think they'll still be a tough out for any team... warriors included. They can also still pick up some waived players like Allen to help bolster that end.

The problem with OKC is that they have absolutely NOTHING outside of George, Westbrook, Melo, and Adams. They really could use someone like Tyreke Evans and another solid wing and big man off the bench.

Chronz
02-15-2018, 08:41 PM
There's a long list of guys who have all the talent in the world but don't ever really engage. It is really frustrating for fans.
What's frustrating is hearing it said of actual all stars when they could have given even less of a ****

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 09:55 PM
The problem with OKC is that they have absolutely NOTHING outside of George, Westbrook, Melo, and Adams. They really could use someone like Tyreke Evans and another solid wing and big man off the bench.

There's talk Boris Diaw has a buyout of his contract abroad if an NBA team comes knocking. He'd be huge for them. They could also target Tony Allen and even tho Rose is basically **** now they could target him as a scoring option off the bench. He's not consistent but if he can 1 flash back night a series in the playoffs that would be better then what they got on the bench now. Not sure who else is available but there's still talent out there. Also not sure the rules with targeting players in the D League but they could target some players there as well.

Scoots
02-16-2018, 12:12 AM
pretty wild bcuz the East is the exact same way

Well ... no. The difference between 3 and 10th in the East is 11 games in the West it's 4.5. The distance from 2nd to 3rd in the West is 9.5 games to 4.5 in the East. The West is shaping up where the top two are virtual locks at the all star break to not only make the playoffs, but make the playoffs as the 1 and 2 seed while literally NOTHING else is even close to decided.

Scoots
02-16-2018, 12:14 AM
The Wolves top lineup has played HUGELY more minutes than a top lineup for any other team. I really had hoped Thibs would have learned something. The Bulls tended to fade down the stretch and the players complained about fatigue.

D'Antonio had a bit of a similar reputation and last season the Rockets faded bad in the playoffs. Well now Harden has lots of help so he's playing fewer minutes right? Nope, he's on pace to play the same amount as last year ... but he's not playing as hard for all those minutes because Paul ... nope his usage is UP not down.

The Warriors don't just have an easier schedule, they have the 3rd easiest schedule in the NBA while the Rockets have the 7th hardest.

When he went down Jordan Bell was on 5 of the Warriors top 10 lineups. They have really missed him, and he's coming back after the ASB.

At the ASB three of the 4 hottest teams in the West are the Nuggets, Clippers, and Jazz ... the 6th, 9th and 10th seeds and those 4 teams are just 2 games apart and the Nuggets are only 2.5 behind the Spurs.

mightybosstone
02-16-2018, 08:09 AM
D'Antonio had a bit of a similar reputation and last season the Rockets faded bad in the playoffs. Well now Harden has lots of help so he's playing fewer minutes right? Nope, he's on pace to play the same amount as last year ... but he's not playing as hard for all those minutes because Paul ... nope his usage is UP not down.

The Warriors don't just have an easier schedule, they have the 3rd easiest schedule in the NBA while the Rockets have the 7th hardest.

When he went down Jordan Bell was on 5 of the Warriors top 10 lineups. They have really missed him, and he's coming back after the ASB.

Harden is playing his fewest minutes per game that he's ever played in Houston (35.8), and because he missed those seven games he'll definitely play his fewest regular minutes he's ever played as a Rocket. So I'm not sure where you pulled your information from there.

I agree that the Rockets schedule is harder than the Warriors, but strength of schedule doesn't always have a direct correlation to win-loss record.

And the Rockets new level of depth with the Johnson and Wright acquisitions should help keep their starters fresh. Ariza has also been out a few weeks, so getting him back in the lineup after the break will be huge.

tredigs
02-17-2018, 01:03 AM
Harden is playing his fewest minutes per game that he's ever played in Houston (35.8), and because he missed those seven games he'll definitely play his fewest regular minutes he's ever played as a Rocket. So I'm not sure where you pulled your information from there.

I agree that the Rockets schedule is harder than the Warriors, but strength of schedule doesn't always have a direct correlation to win-loss record.

And the Rockets new level of depth with the Johnson and Wright acquisitions should help keep their starters fresh. Ariza has also been out a few weeks, so getting him back in the lineup after the break will be huge.
All things being equal, it certainly does. There is without question a better chance of the Warriors having a better post ASB record than the Rockets than otherwise. And that is due to the strength of schedule that the Rockets will have to catch up to the Warriors and (most of) the rest of the NBA on.

kobe4thewinbang
02-17-2018, 03:29 AM
Wild NBA West, again! Looking forward to who gains momentum. Hopefully no more injuries. It would be dope if Houston went all the way with the year Harden is having. Seeding IMO will be important. I could see the Warriors losing a Game 7 in Houston, for example. I hope Kawhi comes back to form.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2018, 12:43 PM

with Wiggins, I was going off in the Wolves forum for 2 years about him. Because I know for a fact that guys who are 21, who have been scoring 20/game, will get maxed out. Nevermind how he is scoring those points, or why, just give him the max, right? And bam, we give him a zillion dollars.

He pisses me off to no end. Just stands around with his thumb up his *** all night.

Tg11
02-18-2018, 02:33 PM

1. Houston
2. Golden State
3. Oklahoma City
4. Minnesota
5. San Antonio
6. Portland
7. Denver
8. Utah

My end of season predictions out of the West goes like this:

1- Golden State
2- Houston
3- Oklahoma City
4- San Antonio
5- Minnesota
6- Portland
7- Utah
8- New Orleans

tp13baby
02-22-2018, 10:07 AM
My end of season predictions out of the West goes like this:

1- Golden State
2- Houston
3- Oklahoma City
4- San Antonio
5- Minnesota
6- Portland
7- Utah
8- New Orleans

Denver finally about to get Millsap back and Plumlee with how Harris has emerged, no way Denver falls out of the playoffs unless our entire final schedule is against Houston.

mightybosstone
02-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Denver finally about to get Millsap back and Plumlee with how Harris has emerged, no way Denver falls out of the playoffs unless our entire final schedule is against Houston.

Yeah. I definitely don't see Denver falling out of the playoffs. They've played some damn good basketball in February—6-1 despite a tough schedule—and with Jokic healthy and Millsap coming back, I think it's more likely that they climb in the standings than fall. I actually think it's more likely that they finish in that 4-5 range than it is they fall to 8th or don't make the playoffs at all. On paper, they might be the third or fourth best team in the West with Kawhi out indefinitely and Roberson gone the rest of the season.