PDA

View Full Version : Tank-a-thon 2018

Scoots
02-14-2018, 11:28 PM
Kings, Suns, Magic, Mavs, and the Hawks all have the same number of (and least) wins at 18.

The Bulls are not losing enough but it's reasonable to think they will up their tanking game from here.

The Hornets acted like they wanted to tank, next step start getting lingering injuries.

The Grizzlies are right there and SHOULD tank. They will always play hard which may make it harder for them to succeed at tanking.

The Knicks are too stupid to actively tank but should.

That's 9 teams that I think are likely to round out this year tanking. Can you imagine a 5 way die roll to determine who gets the most ping pong balls?

Right in the middle of that mess are the Nets and Lakers who are trying to win and build for the future ... if they are even okay they could actually make it to the bottom third of the lottery.

More-Than-Most
02-14-2018, 11:37 PM
Kings, Suns, Magic, Mavs, and the Hawks all have the same number of (and least) wins at 18.

The Bulls are not losing enough but it's reasonable to think they will up their tanking game from here.

The Hornets acted like they wanted to tank, next step start getting lingering injuries.

The Grizzlies are right there and SHOULD tank. They will always play hard which may make it harder for them to succeed at tanking.

That's 9 teams that I think are likely to round out this year tanking. Can you imagine a 5 way die roll to determine who gets the most ping pong balls?

Right in the middle of that mess are the Nets and Lakers who are trying to win and build for the future ... if they are even okay they could actually make it to the bottom third of the lottery.

I am so confused on if I want them to win or lose lol... Hopefully we get a top 6-8 pick from them this year which would be amazing

Storch
02-15-2018, 03:34 AM
I am so confused on if I want them to win or lose lol... Hopefully we get a top 6-8 pick from them this year which would be amazing

The Lakers look like theyre going to give you that wish at the moment. Cant play a lick defense lately.

Giannis94
02-15-2018, 07:33 AM
The Lakers look like theyre going to give you that wish at the moment. Cant play a lick defense lately.

Does it shock you? I mean acquiring it and trading two youthful athletic guys.

Storch
02-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Does it shock you? I mean acquiring it and trading two youthful athletic guys.

No it doesnt shock me. I am hopeful that they at least win 35 games this year.

Scoots
02-15-2018, 06:56 PM
The Hornets offering everyone and setting up a tank was a little surprising. I'm not sure they can tank hard enough for it to matter much at this point though.

Tg11
02-18-2018, 02:35 PM
The team that ends up tanking the most successfully this season will no doubt be the Atlanta Hawks

Mr.B
02-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Its going to be interesting to see how much Carlisle plays the vets like Barea, and Salah. Theyve been key players in most of their wins. I did hear they expect to play Nerlens a lot more after the break. Personally Im expecting the Mavs to finish somewhere between 3-6.

Tg11
02-19-2018, 02:10 PM
I actually want to see the Magic or Suns tank the most...the Suns for the simple fact that they can set up for their future especially with whoever the #1 pick turns out to be and seeing this year's draft class there are supposed to be some real studs too. If Phoenix ends up getting the #1 pick then they can truly turn their franchise around. Same for the Magic if they end up with the #1 pick.

JLynn943
02-19-2018, 02:58 PM
The Kings won't tank in the traditional sense. What we're doing is exactly what we should be doing. We've got a ton of really young guys that need playing time to help them develop, so that's what they'll get. We'll be playing to win, but we probably won't be good anyway. I expect a random good stretch to help keep us out of the top couple picks just because that's what we do.

ChitownbullsBG7
02-19-2018, 04:27 PM
The Kings won't tank in the traditional sense. What we're doing is exactly what we should be doing. We've got a ton of really young guys that need playing time to help them develop, so that's what they'll get. We'll be playing to win, but we probably won't be good anyway. I expect a random good stretch to help keep us out of the top couple picks just because that's what we do.

Is this a joke? What you said is called tanking.

HeartOfStarks
02-19-2018, 05:13 PM

haha ouch. But yes unfortunately we're owned by an idiot jerkwad and the stupidity trickles down.

I don't think we're winning many more games though, maybe 3 or 4 tops, hopefully Hornacek actually sits his bff Jarrett Jack but Hornacek is a half moron too so...

Still think Knicks will pick top 7-8, and although a longshot, could hopefully win a top 3 pick.

bigsams50
02-20-2018, 12:42 AM

If "we" means youre a Lakers fan i am sorry, I dont think you own your pick this year.

JLynn943
02-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Is this a joke? What you said is called tanking.

No, tanking is actively not trying to win. We will not coach to lose like others do. We'll be playing hard.

Scoots
02-20-2018, 11:29 AM
No, tanking is actively not trying to win. We will not coach to lose like others do. We'll be playing hard.

Tanking is not about not playing hard, it's about assembling the roster not to maximize winning. The coach and players are not actively trying to lose, the GM is the one doing the tanking. The coach knows it's happening, and the trainers are definitely in on it, but the player on the floor are trying in a tank.

Giannis94
03-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Alright. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the top 4/5 players are well above the rest of the rest. The top 4/5 being Ayton, Donic, Porter, Jackson , Bagley.

There are currently 9 teams that are "tanking" or have had situations that have caused them to tank (KP injury; Bulls trading Mirotic after he came back and won 7 games for them).

In the past there were a handful of teams that tanked. But never 9, again corrct me if I'm wrong.

Suns/ Grizz/ Atlanata/ Dally/ ORL/ CLE (after LeGm leaves they fit in with these other teams)/ Sacto/ CHI/ NYK.

So of those teams, who do you think needs a top 4/5 pick the most? Seeing that Sacto doesn;t have their pick next year, they have to be up there?

Lakers + Giants
03-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Sacramento, they've been bad for so long and have nothing to show for it

Raps08-09 Champ
03-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Cleveland.

ManningToTyree
03-18-2018, 04:54 PM
The Knicks are very overdue for a friendly bounce of the ping pong ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raps08-09 Champ
03-18-2018, 05:08 PM
The Knicks are very overdue for a friendly bounce of the ping pong ball

Nah. They screwed themselves.

Scoots
03-18-2018, 05:30 PM
There is a lot of talent in this draft, a few teams in the top 5 are going to miss and a few others in the top 15 are going to hit.

All the crappy teams need to find enough talent to want to stop tanking.

Giannis94
03-18-2018, 07:22 PM
There is a lot of talent in this draft, a few teams in the top 5 are going to miss and a few others in the top 15 are going to hit.

All the crappy teams need to find enough talent to want to stop tanking.
Yeah that's fine in theory. Until you go around trading highly valuable draft picks (looking at you lol Lakers x2, and you Sacramento) or when you sign Joakim Noah, mozgov, LUOL Deng, thj to insanity deals. Or when you have a terrible front office that you're stuck in a hamster wheel of the friend zone (not getting super high in the lottery and not being a legit threat in the playoffs)..

Bottom line. A lot of these teams have ****ed themselves and can't clean up their own mess

Shcamz
03-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Bulls screwed themselves out of the top 5 more than likely, but hoping the Pelicans keep losing and that pick turns into something around 16-20.

Vee-Rex
03-18-2018, 07:39 PM
Oh man I forgot about this thread. Here you go, boys:

http://www.tankathon.com/

Giannis94
03-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Bulls screwed themselves out of the top 5 more than likely, but hoping the Pelicans keep losing and that pick turns into something around 16-20.

Would tje bulls rather have the extra pick they got from trading mirotic or in tje extreme hypothetical, say they traded him for a future 2, and lost the 7 games boosting their odds by 7 games?

More-Than-Most
03-19-2018, 01:55 AM
scoots is right... i dont like the top 3 that are being marketed... this will be a draft where a few drafted from 5-15 will be the best players from the draft.... might be an ideal situation for a few teams to trade back maybe esp the ones that need a ton of help.

More-Than-Most
03-19-2018, 01:58 AM
Oh man I forgot about this thread. Here you go, boys:

http://www.tankathon.com/

first roll... cleveland got the first pick lol.

warfelg
03-19-2018, 08:46 AM
What this draft lacks in top end talent it makes up for in depth. A guy like Mychel Bridges is being projected to be there in the 10-15 range and hes going to be a great find of a shooter for some team.

Ill even go as far to say hell be 2018s Donovan Mitchell.

Giannis94
03-19-2018, 10:13 AM
What this draft lacks in top end talent it makes up for in depth. A guy like Mychel Bridges is being projected to be there in the 10-15 range and hes going to be a great find of a shooter for some team.

Ill even go as far to say hell be 2018s Donovan Mitchell.

Top end talent? The top 4 guys from this year's draft would have been picked #1 last year. And that's not just me. Experts and draft gurus have said that for months.

More-Than-Most
03-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Top end talent? The top 4 guys from this year's draft would have been picked #1 last year. And that's not just me. Experts and draft gurus have said that for months.

they say that every year

Giannis94
03-19-2018, 07:00 PM
they say that every year
Lol no.
No they don't. I didn't hear that the year Anthony Bennett was drafted. Everyone knew that class sucked dick.

Last year there was no top player. Fultz was probably the consensus but I heard arguments for Tatum and ball as well. Jabaris draft it was a clear cut top 2 with a huge question mark that will and has been proven to be exactly that, and then everyone else.

The year kd was drafted that was also a clear cut top 2.

This year it's a clear cut top 4/5.

Jeffy25
03-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Would Gasol by good in Memphis next to Bagley or Ayton?

MTA12
03-20-2018, 02:50 AM
Would Gasol by good in Memphis next to Bagley or Ayton?

They wouldn't go anywhere still but he'd be a great mentor to any young big. Especially Ayton since he needs the offensive skill-work a little more.

Scoots
03-20-2018, 12:14 PM
They wouldn't go anywhere still but he'd be a great mentor to any young big. Especially Ayton since he needs the offensive skill-work a little more.

Gasol has become kind of grumbly ... he may not be that great a mentor.

Giannis94
03-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Gasol has become kind of grumbly ... he may not be that great a mentor.

Can you blame him? Memphis needs a full rebuild.

FlashBolt
03-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Memphis made a mistake. Should have traded Marc and go rebuild. Their roster is not very good and they've lost that grit mentality without Z-Bo. Conley was a terrible contract. He's a great PG but not elite. Not a good use of money for the guy.

warfelg
03-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Memphis made a mistake. Should have traded Marc and go rebuild. Their roster is not very good and they've lost that grit mentality without Z-Bo. Conley was a terrible contract. He's a great PG but not elite. Not a good use of money for the guy.

Agreed. They might end up in NBA purgatory if they don't do this right. I'm not saying they need to go full Hinkie, but they need to find a way to make some changes. Not to mention the last few drafts have been a bit of a whiff for them.

That Conley deal is what's wrong with max contracts. They had to give it to him because they could offer more. But letting him walk brought nothing back to them and ended up hurting them on the court. Bringing them back hurt them financially.

Let's say they keep Gasol, Conley, and draft Bagley. Is there a chance that team can make the playoffs? Sure.

But they would likely cap out as a 12-7 seed team, unable to move old and big contracts, capped out, unwilling to spend more, and not getting the high enough picks to get another difference maker. That's just a killer place to be in the NBA anymore. The issue I've always had is that's the most profitable for owners. They aren't paying any taxes, but they are good enough that people are coming out to games. So they maximize profits while minimizing expenditures.

They need to find a way to trade Gasol, get a rebuild package back, and maybe find a way to send some of that out with Conley to just get out from that contract.

Wonder if the Spurs would do some Gasol for LMA centered deal?

valade16
03-20-2018, 05:26 PM
I get the criticism of Conley's contract as it was a clear overpay (though as others have mentioned, one they pretty much had to do), but their situation is not as much about the contract as people are making out, it's more to do with the fact that Conley tore his ACL.

If Conley were healthy this is a completely different Griz team that is possibly fighting for a playoff spot. They were 7-5 to start the year with him in the lineup, and Dillon Brooks and Andrew Harrison look promising.

This is a team that if Gasol and Conley are healthy are light years better than their record indicates. Obviously because of the Warriors/Rockets and the crowded West they don't really have a shot at a title, but they are certainly not bottom feed fodder when healthy.

Blitzbolt
03-22-2018, 08:15 AM
As a Grizz fan I didnt mind Conley contract one bit I still don't ...sure he was getting overpaid but he work hard to try live up to it.

The problem with the Grizz is not Gasol or Conley ....Its Parsons max deal yes that's right ppl forget we give him 3 years 90 million .To me this one of the worst contracts in history and F the grizzlies in the short and long term.

FlashBolt
03-22-2018, 08:45 AM
As a Grizz fan I didnt mind Conley contract one bit I still don't ...sure he was getting overpaid but he work hard to try live up to it.

The problem with the Grizz is not Gasol or Conley ....Its Parsons max deal yes that's right ppl forget we give him 3 years 90 million .To me this one of the worst contracts in history and F the grizzlies in the short and long term.

I forgot about Parsons.. why would they sign the guy after Dallas proves he wasn't worth that money? Amazing how much Chandler has made while really, not playing ball at all. I miss Z-Bo in Memphis. Dude was the heart of that team IMO.

More-Than-Most
04-06-2018, 12:54 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=507721

:clap:

The knicks have lost 24-27 games and havent been able to make up ground in the lottery... really think about that. Us sixer fans got **** time and time again and now the tank is stronger than ever and there is 10 teams going ham in what yet again is yet another overrated draft by the people/writers with 15 cant miss prospects. What are your thoughts? Personally I have always and will always be for the tank because of superstars only wanting to join superstars but this is 10 plus teams now.

GREATNESS ONE
04-06-2018, 01:40 AM
Last years draft (a lot) and the year before (top picks) drafts have been pretty damn good. Theres a lot of good young talent across the league.

Heediot
04-06-2018, 06:57 AM
15 can't miss really? It's top heavy for sure, and I would say the top 5-6 this year is better vs. last. I think Last year is deeper. We will see.

ewing
04-06-2018, 08:48 AM
The league should be embarrassed and Silver should punish teams that clearly tank. It an absolute disaster now. Congrats on breaking the seal when it comes to totally shameless tanking Sixers. Something to be proud of

warfelg
04-06-2018, 09:07 AM
I know they aren't doing it this year, but I think this is the start of the effects of pick odds leveling.

But in reality:
Phoenix - They aren't tanking, they are just terrible. Bad drafting, compounded with bad trades, and adding poor FA signings and you get that. Remember the time when they were doing this right?

Memphis - They are tanking and that's why they fired Fitz, because he was against it. But in a way I didn't blame them. Capped out, and unwilling to trade, a high pick is their only way out.

Atlanta - I get theirs. Held on too long to aging guys, and had little attractive young players for FA, so they hit the reset.

Dallas - See Phoenix

Orlando - See Phoenix

Sacraments - See Phoenix

New York & Chicago - I'm going to make a bold statement....they had to tank. Both have a promising young star (Porzingis/LaVine) who missed a good amount of time. Their recent pick looks like he's got some things going in the right direction (Ntilikina/Markennen). But it's going to take more than that, since they got some contracts that need to be unloaded (how ironic that for the Bulls it's the Knicks old center; and for the Knicks it's the Bulls old center?) so that they can have the space to bring in the help.

So out of that you got:
4 teams that are just bad.
1 team that got hit with an injury and mailed it in
1 team going through a low period
2 teams that need to do it.

So 1 team that could still be better doing it on purpose; 5 bad teams; 2 teams that need it. I think that's about what we normally see anyways. I think what's pushing it the to make it seem worse is that some teams we expected to be bad/miss the playoffs (Indy, Utah, Philly); some teams we expected to be good aren't as good (OKC, Wash); and season ending injuries (Kyrie, Gordon, Boogie).

Scoots
04-06-2018, 09:39 AM
I know they aren't doing it this year, but I think this is the start of the effects of pick odds leveling.

But in reality:
Phoenix - They aren't tanking, they are just terrible. Bad drafting, compounded with bad trades, and adding poor FA signings and you get that. Remember the time when they were doing this right?

Memphis - They are tanking and that's why they fired Fitz, because he was against it. But in a way I didn't blame them. Capped out, and unwilling to trade, a high pick is their only way out.

Atlanta - I get theirs. Held on too long to aging guys, and had little attractive young players for FA, so they hit the reset.

Dallas - See Phoenix

Orlando - See Phoenix

Sacraments - See Phoenix

New York & Chicago - I'm going to make a bold statement....they had to tank. Both have a promising young star (Porzingis/LaVine) who missed a good amount of time. Their recent pick looks like he's got some things going in the right direction (Ntilikina/Markennen). But it's going to take more than that, since they got some contracts that need to be unloaded (how ironic that for the Bulls it's the Knicks old center; and for the Knicks it's the Bulls old center?) so that they can have the space to bring in the help.

So out of that you got:
4 teams that are just bad.
1 team that got hit with an injury and mailed it in
1 team going through a low period
2 teams that need to do it.

So 1 team that could still be better doing it on purpose; 5 bad teams; 2 teams that need it. I think that's about what we normally see anyways. I think what's pushing it the to make it seem worse is that some teams we expected to be bad/miss the playoffs (Indy, Utah, Philly); some teams we expected to be good aren't as good (OKC, Wash); and season ending injuries (Kyrie, Gordon, Boogie).

Phoenix IS tanking. They made roster moves to not improve the team in the short term knowing it would result in more losses but a better draft pick.

Dallas is like Atlanta, they held on to Dirk too long trying to win and need the reset.

Orlando I could accept is just bad.

Sacto made moves to grow, but not to win. They are tanking.

warfelg
04-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Phoenix IS tanking. They made roster moves to not improve the team in the short term knowing it would result in more losses but a better draft pick.

Dallas is like Atlanta, they held on to Dirk too long trying to win and need the reset.

Orlando I could accept is just bad.

Sacto made moves to grow, but not to win. They are tanking.

Look at the last few drafts for Phoenix:
Josh Jackson - Ok give him a little more time he's a rookie.
Dragan Bender - Young, but he's looked meh.
Marquese Chriss - Same as Bender
Devin Booker - Good pick
TJ Warren - Bad pick
Ale Len - Bad pick

Last 5 drafts, and they got 1 impact player from it. In the mean time they've send out Dragic, Bledsoe, both Morris Twins, IT. And they have little to show for it.

Sacto made moves to grow. They are just bad. They don't have good talent.

These two teams are just bad teams. They have the combination of not lucking out in the draft (haven't made it to the top 3), FA signings that haven't helped (Chandler, IT, ZBo, VC), and haven't made the most of their picks. If they are tanking then they are terrible at it and need better GM's.

jimboslice15
04-06-2018, 11:06 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=507721

The knicks have lost 24-27 games and havent been able to make up ground in the lottery... really think about that. Us sixer fans got **** time and time again and now the tank is stronger than ever and there is 10 teams going ham in what yet again is yet another overrated draft by the people/writers with 15 cant miss prospects. What are your thoughts? Personally I have always and will always be for the tank because of superstars only wanting to join superstars but this is 10 plus teams now.

As a fan who watches most of the Knicks games, they aren't tanking, they just suck & can't finish games... This was a problem even before KP got hurt and now is even more apparent.

Jeff Hornacek is also not the greatest coach and is still trying to win games... if they were tanking then Burke wouldn't be playing 30+ minutes a night, hardaway would be shut down because of lingering injuries, and their starting 5 would be Ntilikina, dotson, Hicks, beasley and Kornett...

If you want a blatantly tanking team then look at the chicago bulls, who rest healthy guys like holiday, lopez, markanen, etc... they should be embarrassed by the crap that they pull.

Dallas Mavs too... Harrison Barnes is 25 years old, why the ****** does he need to "rest" on back to backs???

GoferKing_
04-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Conley was like that rare player that was actually earning his max. I do not know why people bash him. He played exceptionally well.

beasted86
04-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Look at the last few drafts for Phoenix:
Josh Jackson - Ok give him a little more time he's a rookie.
Dragan Bender - Young, but he's looked meh.
Marquese Chriss - Same as Bender
Devin Booker - Good pick
TJ Warren - Bad pick
Ale Len - Bad pick

Last 5 drafts, and they got 1 impact player from it. In the mean time they've send out Dragic, Bledsoe, both Morris Twins, IT. And they have little to show for it.

Sacto made moves to grow. They are just bad. They don't have good talent.

These two teams are just bad teams. They have the combination of not lucking out in the draft (haven't made it to the top 3), FA signings that haven't helped (Chandler, IT, ZBo, VC), and haven't made the most of their picks. If they are tanking then they are terrible at it and need better GM's.

TJ Warren 14th overall pick who's now averaging 19 a night and will only make $11-12M for the next 4 years was a bad pick??

Que?

warfelg
04-06-2018, 11:41 AM
TJ Warren 14th overall pick who's now averaging 19 a night and will only make $11-12M for the next 4 years was a bad pick??

Que?

Yes. Hes getting those 19 a night on 16 shots with very sub-par 3 pt shooting, bad rebounding, bad defense.

beasted86
04-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Yes. Hes getting those 19 a night on 16 shots with very sub-par 3 pt shooting, bad rebounding, bad defense.

So how often do teams pick up players better than him with the very last pick in the lottery. And how many players produce as much for less pay (excluding rookie contracts)?

I don't see how any stretch of the imagination calls that a bad pick in the draft.

More-Than-Most
04-06-2018, 09:48 PM
The league should be embarrassed and Silver should punish teams that clearly tank. It an absolute disaster now. Congrats on breaking the seal when it comes to totally shameless tanking Sixers. Something to be proud of

except tanking has happened forever we just gave the league the middle finger while doing it... You wanna stop the tanking stop the super team crap.