PDA

View Full Version : The San Antonio Spurs

Vee-Rex
02-14-2018, 03:02 PM
What's the outlook for this team? They've lost 3 straight and are 4-6 in the last 10 games, and I think 9-11 in their last 20 games.

They're only 4 games out of missing a playoff spot, and Kawhi who they sorely miss is out indefinitely.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/spurs-kawhi-leonard-hopeful-for-return-by-seasons-end/

When will Kawhi return, and if he returns how healthy will he be? Could the Spurs drop down to the 7th or 8th seed?

Kawhi has one more year left and then a player option in 2019, which he would probably opt out of. Will he return or is it possible that another team could snatch him in free agency?

Heediot
02-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Pops is brilliant, but how long can he max out the legendary geezers?

Kawhi is great. Even with him healthy it's not enough. Rox should take the next step with how deep they are and how well they are constructed. But it's not improbable that a Harden/Paul team does not liveup to expectations.

2nd round exit this year is what I'm expecting.

kdspurman
02-14-2018, 04:09 PM
I think if Kawhi isn't back by March 2nd, ( i think that date leaves him with 20 games left overall) then this season is just lost. I worry about how much time they'd have to get the chemistry/cohesiveness needed.

Aldridge has been fantastic, I would've loved to see how a resurgent Aldridge/Kawhi did in the playoffs, but we may not see it.

There was a lot to look forward to, but we've had our whole lineup available exactly once this year :laugh: I'm impressed they are where they are, but it's no secret why they struggle against the better teams. At this point, it's a matter of will they keep the 50 win streak alive.

TheDish87
02-14-2018, 04:09 PM
why would you assume Leonard would opt out? he is a prototypical Spur and i think hes a lifer.

WhiteShadow42
02-14-2018, 04:10 PM
New to NBA forum. If Spurs drop to 7th or 8th seed then it's an early playoff exit this year. Even if Kawhi comes back, I don't think it's enough time for him to get back into game shape and playing like a MVP type player. The Spurs have been my second favorite team since Duncan was drafted. JMHO.

Vee-Rex
02-14-2018, 04:28 PM
why would you assume Leonard would opt out? he is a prototypical Spur and i think hes a lifer.

Just bringing it up as a topic of discussion. I agree with you and think the same. Hard to turn down that max money, but knows how things will unfold a year and a half from now.

Vee-Rex
02-14-2018, 04:29 PM
I think if Kawhi isn't back by March 2nd, ( i think that date leaves him with 20 games left overall) then this season is just lost. I worry about how much time they'd have to get the chemistry/cohesiveness needed.

Aldridge has been fantastic, I would've loved to see how a resurgent Aldridge/Kawhi did in the playoffs, but we may not see it.

There was a lot to look forward to, but we've had our whole lineup available exactly once this year :laugh: I'm impressed they are where they are, but it's no secret why they struggle against the better teams. At this point, it's a matter of will they keep the 50 win streak alive.

It really sucks. I think you guys are right up there with Houston and Golden State if you had a healthy squad the entire year. I feel like this is all Zaza's fault somehow.

LaVar Ball
02-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Time for the Spurs to just go away. Honestly Manu gotta retire, TP got 1-2 yrs left in a 15 MPG role off the bench. Pau 2 yrs left max. He's just too much of a liability on defense.

valade16
02-14-2018, 05:54 PM
New to NBA forum. If Spurs drop to 7th or 8th seed then it's an early playoff exit this year. Even if Kawhi comes back, I don't think it's enough time for him to get back into game shape and playing like a MVP type player. The Spurs have been my second favorite team since Duncan was drafted. JMHO.

Is that the flash for the 3rd Special Forces Group?

dhopisthename
02-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Time for the Spurs to just go away. Honestly Manu gotta retire, TP got 1-2 yrs left in a 15 MPG role off the bench. Pau 2 yrs left max. He's just too much of a liability on defense.

this is a big if, but assuming kawhi comes back 100% they will still be really good. probably not title contenders, but will certainly be making the playoffs.

TylerSL
02-14-2018, 06:06 PM
They need Kawhi back and then they need to get a max player this summer (Lebron/George/Cousins)

WhiteShadow42
02-14-2018, 07:16 PM

Yes it is. I guess off topic a bit here on PSD but some of the Laker forum guys liked it so I left it. From 1991-1997.

WhiteShadow42
02-14-2018, 07:20 PM
They need Kawhi back and then they need to get a max player this summer (Lebron/George/Cousins)

Even with Parkers contract coming off the books next year, they are still a bit over the cap. Don't know exactly where the cap number will be but they will be at around 106mil. It will have to be a sign and trade or salary dump for expirings. What the Lakers did last week.

WhiteShadow42
02-14-2018, 11:04 PM

Why are you asking?

sagemania
02-15-2018, 03:54 AM
Even with KL back they aint in Houstons or the Warriors league.

kdspurman
02-15-2018, 09:23 AM
It really sucks. I think you guys are right up there with Houston and Golden State if you had a healthy squad the entire year. I feel like this is all Zaza's fault somehow.

Ha. It definitely sucks but it is what it is. I mean this has been one of our worst seasons in years and we sit 3rd in the west. I do think they'd definitely be in the league of those 2 too.

Things could definitely be worse. Other teams go thru much worse and have had far more bad fortune. I just hope things take a positive turn for a change after the break.

Even with KL back they aint in Houstons or the Warriors league.

Silly statement considering how good they were last season.

Muttman73
02-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Pops is old and out of touch. The Spurs are going nowhere, need to make some serious changes.
Leonard is their only true star, his health right now is questionable, as is his desire to remain.
LMA is playing well, but he's not a #1 option on a team that's going to win anything.
Its been a great run in San Antonio, but nothing lasts forever.

kdspurman
02-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Pops is old and out of touch. The Spurs are going nowhere, need to make some serious changes.
Leonard is their only true star, his health right now is questionable, as is his desire to remain.
LMA is playing well, but he's not a #1 option on a team that's going to win anything.
Its been a great run in San Antonio, but nothing lasts forever.

That's a new one

warfelg
02-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Some of this “they’re done” cracks me up. More hope than anything.

Kwahi will be back.

Manu and Parker move on, Murray has need a good replacement. Pau could retire too.

I haven’t looked at the numbers; but iirc if those three move on and the can trade LMA they could be sitting pretty in ‘19 FA market to really add and reform around KL.

Muttman73
02-15-2018, 11:10 AM
They are done as currently situated.

Kwahi will be back, but does he really want to be here? The rest are old or unproven.

Crack up all you want man, reality is hard ... but its still reality. Without some big changes the Spurs are not a threat. Popovich is almost 70, if you don't think that's old then I don't know what is. Kick him upstairs.

Muttman73
02-15-2018, 11:12 AM
That's a new one

69 is a little old - have you listened to him ramble lately? He's a grouchy old man, that's for everything but kick him upstairs already.

Shammyguy3
02-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Being old, and being old and out of touch are 2 very different things

Muttman73
02-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Being old, and being old and out of touch are 2 very different things

Granted, but again, have you heard him talk lately? He has become an angry old man, not sure how much - how many of the young 20 something NBA players are going to listen to him.
The good news is, San Antonio doesn't really have too many of those types on the roster, Murray and? so ...
Back to my original point, the San Antonio Championship "ship" has sailed ... barring some big changes they are not and will not be a serious contender anytime soon.

Vee-Rex
02-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Granted, but again, have you heard him talk lately? He has become an angry old man

Give an example of this?

Chronz
02-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Ha. It definitely sucks but it is what it is. I mean this has been one of our worst seasons in years and we sit 3rd in the west. I do think they'd definitely be in the league of those 2 too.

Things could definitely be worse. Other teams go thru much worse and have had far more bad fortune. I just hope things take a positive turn for a change after the break.

Silly statement considering how good they were last season.
They were around that level before. By now I don't see it

kdspurman
02-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Granted, but again, have you heard him talk lately? He has become an angry old man, not sure how much - how many of the young 20 something NBA players are going to listen to him.
The good news is, San Antonio doesn't really have too many of those types on the roster, Murray and? so ...
Back to my original point, the San Antonio Championship "ship" has sailed ... barring some big changes they are not and will not be a serious contender anytime soon.

Pop has been outspoken. It just gets more press now, and it rubs certain people the wrong way. Maybe you don't like what he has to say so you assume he's out of touch and an angry old man?

But the players certainly have not gotten to that point. In fact, it's quite the contrary. They respect him even more for it.

kdspurman
02-15-2018, 01:04 PM
They were around that level before. By now I don't see it

I dont either. Probably need to see Kawhi in there before judging their potential

valade16
02-15-2018, 01:49 PM
Some of this “they’re done” cracks me up. More hope than anything.

Kwahi will be back.

Manu and Parker move on, Murray has need a good replacement. Pau could retire too.

I haven’t looked at the numbers; but iirc if those three move on and the can trade LMA they could be sitting pretty in ‘19 FA market to really add and reform around KL.

But does anyone expect FA's to go to SA? The only reason they got LMA is because he's from Texas and wanted to go back home.

warfelg
02-15-2018, 01:56 PM
But does anyone expect FA's to go to SA? The only reason they got LMA is because he's from Texas and wanted to go back home.

FAs would go. Oakland isn’t a great place either and the Warriors did fine.

valade16
02-15-2018, 01:58 PM

The Warriors did fine because they have a historically good team. I don't see more than maybe one 2nd tier level FA (like a LMA type) going to SA. Especially if they lose Pau, Parker, Manu and LMA.

Vee-Rex
02-15-2018, 02:07 PM
The Warriors did fine because they have a historically good team. I don't see more than maybe one 2nd tier level FA (like a LMA type) going to SA. Especially if they lose Pau, Parker, Manu and LMA.

I think the main attraction is, "We have Pop and Kawhi and a winning culture with the Spurs."

Guys would certainly consider the Spurs during free agency.

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 02:40 PM
That's a new one
I mean he's only partially wrong... pop is old but I definitely wouldn't call him out of touch

kdspurman
02-15-2018, 02:43 PM
I mean he's only partially wrong... pop is old but I definitely wouldn't call him out of touch

Yea agreed on the old. I should've highlighted the out of touch part :laugh2:

I think people who don't agree with what Pop has to say, and have their own personal beliefs get angry when he speaks out about social issues. So they think he's "out of touch and should stick to coaching."

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 02:44 PM

Oakland is much nicer than people realize. There's a stigma about it and parts are still bad but that's true of any city. There's a lot of very nice places in Oakland and the surrounding communities.

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 02:47 PM

I think people who don't agree with what Pop has to say, and have their own personal beliefs get angry when he speaks out about social issues. So they think he's "out of touch and should stick to coaching."

I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case.
It's quite common for people to try and discredit others who they disagree with.

warfelg
02-15-2018, 02:52 PM
I think the main attraction is, "We have Pop and Kawhi and a winning culture with the Spurs."

Guys would certainly consider the Spurs during free agency.

Being a browns fan I know you’ll understand this:
The Steelers aren’t players in FA because they are good, develop guys, and pay them when the time comes, which means they are always near the cap. When they decide to pay someone from the outside they land who they want at their price.

The Spurs are very much the same. They take care of the guys they develop, so are always at the cap, and are able to pull the FAs they want when the time comes.

KnicksorBust
02-15-2018, 03:09 PM

Him and Kerr are really letting it fly with the political commentaries these days.

Chronz
02-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Him and Kerr are really letting it fly with the political commentaries these days.
It IS different tho and you can see how it could rub people the wrong way. Whether you agree with their points or not, it's a very subjective/complicated issue

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 03:59 PM
They certainly are... and as the world becomes more and more polarized you'll see more and more do what their doing.

It IS different tho and you can see how it could rub people the wrong way. Whether you agree with their points or not, it's a very subjective/complicated issue

It is subjective and complicated but that doesn't change the fact that it's their right to speak on such. Yes they got their platform because of sports but it's their platform to with as they please. For normal corporation they could fire someone who uses their platform to speak on matters but it would likely go more unnoticed then if it happened to their because of their high profile status. As they continue to do it more will follow likely on both sides of the fence. And it will likely become he norm. It also doesn't hurt them that the warriors org likely agrees with Steves take and Pop can do anything he likes in SA.

Chronz
02-15-2018, 04:10 PM
They certainly are... and as the world becomes more and more polarized you'll see more and more do what their doing.

It is subjective and complicated but that doesn't change the fact that it's their right to speak on such. Yes they got their platform because of sports but it's their platform to with as they please. For normal corporation they could fire someone who uses their platform to speak on matters but it would likely go more unnoticed then if it happened to their because of their high profile status. As they continue to do it more will follow likely on both sides of the fence. And it will likely become he norm. It also doesn't hurt them that the warriors org likely agrees with Steves take and Pop can do anything he likes in SA.
Nobodies trying to change that, just that it's evident and different. Right or wrong

TrueFan420
02-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Nobodies trying to change that, just that it's evident and different. Right or wrong

Well I've definitely seen and/or herd plenty of people try to change or challenge their right to do it. Mostly start back with Kaps protest. But your right you didn't make a comment about trying to change just pointing that it's happening and noticeable which of fair. Respect that you view it as their right whether right or wrong.

Muttman73
02-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Give an example of this?

Do you watch San Antonio news at all? I honestly can't remember the last time he wasn't being an *** or spewing some political crap. If you'd like some proof, tune in to any of the local channels and see for yourself.

As for using your position to advocate your political views, I'd say that it's in bad taste to do so.
Some people like to use sports as a distraction from the ****** politics we have in this country right now.

But back to my original point, the Spurs as currently constituted are going nowhere. They will get in the playoffs and if Leonard makes it back probably advance to round 2 but they are NOT beating Houston and they definitely are not beating Golden State with this team. They need a lot of talent, and IMO they could use a head coach who is not 70 years old and bitter. Kawhi Leonard is a top talent in the league, beyond him ... some shells, Ginobili, Parker, Gasol and some role players Mills and LMA - nobody is shaking in their boots to face the Spurs anymore.

'

KnicksorBust
02-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Give an example of this?

Do you watch San Antonio news at all?

Don't hurt your neck ducking that fast.

Muttman73
02-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Don't hurt your neck ducking that fast.

Don't hurt your pride thinking that was a brilliant reply.

Muttman73
02-15-2018, 05:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqQoRg5mB1M

kdspurman
02-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Do you watch San Antonio news at all? I honestly can't remember the last time he wasn't being an *** or spewing some political crap. If you'd like some proof, tune in to any of the local channels and see for yourself.

As for using your position to advocate your political views, I'd say that it's in bad taste to do so.
Some people like to use sports as a distraction from the ****** politics we have in this country right now.

But back to my original point, the Spurs as currently constituted are going nowhere. They will get in the playoffs and if Leonard makes it back probably advance to round 2 but they are NOT beating Houston and they definitely are not beating Golden State with this team. They need a lot of talent, and IMO they could use a head coach who is not 70 years old and bitter. Kawhi Leonard is a top talent in the league, beyond him ... some shells, Ginobili, Parker, Gasol and some role players Mills and LMA - nobody is shaking in their boots to face the Spurs anymore.

'

lol no one usually is. Doesn't stop the Spurs from bouncing teams tho. They weren't supposed to beat Houston last season either.

Also keep in mind, the media asks Pop is opinion on certain topics. Same with him, and Kerr. It seems you pay attention more to the stuff that gets headlines (aka stuff Pop answers re: politics, life, etc...) than you do about him talking about basketball and the development of his players. As someone who actually follows the team, I can assure you he is talking about the latter more. It's just not as sexy a headline grabber

kdspurman
02-15-2018, 06:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqQoRg5mB1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZTPtENQCY&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O9JgVHVLBc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmmSHjn_q5Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNY61ZLxpOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAz__dFzyfE

Vee-Rex
02-15-2018, 08:46 PM

'

Okay... and if he wore a red "Make AmeriKKKa Great Again" hat and spoke about it you'd probably love it.

Got it!

LaVar Ball
02-15-2018, 09:08 PM
LeBron to the Spurs