PDA

View Full Version : Lou Williams agrees to contract extension with Clippers

mightybosstone
02-07-2018, 02:30 PM
http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/07/report-la-clippers-lou-williams-working-contract-extension#/

So Lou Will has agreed to a 3-year extension with the Clippers, although the details are still being ironed out. This absolutely deserves its own thread, IMO, not just because Lou Will has been so good this year, but because of the implications this might have for the rest of the league.

Clearly the Clippers are not going into tank mode, so does that take Jordan off the block? And what other moves could be on the horizon for this team? What does Jerry West have up his sleeve? And should we be taking the Clippers more seriously as a destination for Lebron?

Discuss...

Cal827
02-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Yeah, this definitely should be by itself. Interesting re-signing by the Clippers. I mean, it seems that DeAndre is all but gone, so you would think that in the next few years, they would just let the tank roll. Gotta see how much the contract is worth, because I thought I read somewhere that his contract was a 3 year, with a team option on the 3rd one. That could be valuable if they aren't able to bring anyone else to the team, as that wouldn't be that difficult to get rid of (assuming the value isn't absurd).

I'm curious onto if this means, DeAndre is definitely gone by tomorrow. If they're going for Free Agency, then Cleveland is definitely ****ed cause all they could offer would be longer contracts to match that could impede with their offseason desires. Unless they're willing to trade that pick away unprotected, they better look around for other players :laugh2:

I mean, Williams is better than James Harden after all :D

Vinylman
02-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Have they said they are keeping him or is this a precursor to a trade?

LeonFSU
02-07-2018, 02:49 PM
I think they extended his contract because they knew he had value that teams weren't offering. I think the Clippers would still consider trading him next year when he'd be locked in for another year at a team's option.

FlashBolt
02-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Lou Will is a fantastic scorer but he is a role player.. One superb season does not change that. In a way, I think this will end up being a terrible deal for the Clippers if he's getting massively overpaid. Can the guy really lead you to winning or is he just a great scorer? I'd go with the latter. Plus, his age. He's not exactly getting better.

bleedprple&gold
02-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Lou Will is a fantastic scorer but he is a role player.. One superb season does not change that. In a way, I think this will end up being a terrible deal for the Clippers if he's getting massively overpaid. Can the guy really lead you to winning or is he just a great scorer? I'd go with the latter. Plus, his age. He's not exactly getting better.

He may still be on the move. There's a lot of interest around the league for him, but teams weren't willing to give up much for an expiring contract and possible rental for a few months. Now the Clippers can get more for him if they choose to trade him.

FlashBolt
02-07-2018, 02:59 PM
He may still be on the move. There's a lot of interest around the league for him, but teams weren't willing to give up much for an expiring contract and possible rental for a few months. Now the Clippers can get more for him if they choose to trade him.

Gotcha.. It felt weird that they would offer him that contract when there was so much trade talks going on. I guess we find out tomorrow. Hopefully something does happen as quite some teams could use the guy. I'd take him but we really dont' have much to offer.

IndyRealist
02-07-2018, 02:59 PM

This is where I am too. A contract extension with a team option only improves his trade value.

Either that, or they really like what they are seeing from Tobias Harris and think they have a core.

bleedprple&gold
02-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Gotcha.. It felt weird that they would offer him that contract when there was so much trade talks going on. I guess we find out tomorrow. Hopefully something does happen as quite some teams could use the guy. I'd take him but we really dont' have much to offer.

Brad Turner: Lou Williams on 3-year extension with Clippers: ďIt was nice for this organization to commit to me the same way Iíve committed to these guys this year. In years past, these scenarios donít usually go my way. So it was nice for one to go my way and be somewhere I wanted to be.Ē

It would pretty cold if they trade him now, since it sounds like he wants to be there, but they already did Blake dirty so it's not above them.

TrueFan420
02-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Any word on the dollar amount of the contract

goingfor28
02-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Any word on the dollar amount of the contractThe max they could pay him I believe I read was 4/42. So he probably got 3/31 or somewhere around there. Not bad at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Switch
02-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Any word on the dollar amount of the contract

3/24

Forever35
02-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Good move for both sides... He'll win 6th man of the year and this contract will look like peanuts... Seems like a good vet to have around the organization...

R. Johnson#3
02-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Just wait until that shot goes cold. It happens every year.

LA4life24/8
02-07-2018, 05:55 PM
3/24

No way! That's a dang steal if true

WaDe03
02-07-2018, 06:04 PM
That's a steal for sure. We're going to see a lot of contracts like this going forward though.

mightybosstone
02-07-2018, 06:21 PM
If you're a team with free agents you're hoping to keep in the offseason, this is good news for you. Like if this is all Lou Will can get, I'm no longer worried about Clint Capela getting $20 million+ a year on the open market. But if you're about to be a free agent, this is probably pretty bad news for you.

bleedprple&gold
02-07-2018, 06:47 PM
If you're a team with free agents you're hoping to keep in the offseason, this is good news for you. Like if this is all Lou Will can get, I'm no longer worried about Clint Capela getting $20 million+ a year on the open market. But if you're about to be a free agent, this is probably pretty bad news for you.

Everybody knows it's going to be tough free agent market this summer. GMs appeared to have learned from there mistakes when they went crazy in the summer of 2016 and with the cap not going up as much as expected, we're going to see much more reasonable deals getting handed out.

mrblisterdundee
02-07-2018, 10:22 PM
It would pretty cold if they trade him now, since it sounds like he wants to be there, but they already did Blake dirty so it's not above them.

I think the Clippers signed his contract with the specific intention of getting a first-round pick in a trade. I might do it if I were Philadelphia. Then re-sign Redick and have one of the deadliest-shooting back courts in the league to go along with their embarrassment of riches in the front court.

R. Johnson#3
02-08-2018, 09:18 AM

Lou Will is a veteran one trick pony who makes IT look like a good defender. There's a reason this is his 6th team in 5 years. This will have no effect on upcoming FAs.

mightybosstone
02-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Lou Will is a veteran one trick pony who makes IT look like a good defender. There's a reason this is his 6th team in 5 years. This will have no effect on upcoming FAs.
How many guys in the league can you name who signed for MLE money in the middle of a career year in which they're scoring a hyper-efficient 20+ points every night?

Don't be obtuse. This is absolutely a sign of the kind of conservative deals we're going to see this summer.

R. Johnson#3
02-08-2018, 11:57 AM
How many guys in the league can you name who signed for MLE money in the middle of a career year in which they're scoring a hyper-efficient 20+ points every night?

Don't be obtuse. This is absolutely a sign of the kind of conservative deals we're going to see this summer.

I'm not a triangle!

I don't see Lou Will setting any tone for the market this summer. I just don't. I get it, he's hot and he does it every year but he's been shunned by team after team. Of course he's only getting the MLE in a deal.

Heediot
02-08-2018, 12:06 PM
I think money is going to be dry this summer. The majority of teams are looking to shed salary, so its a crap market for free agency unless your a top 3-5 free agent. After that the mle is going to be what is given. Some team might be able to steal a guy like Avery Bradley for that, that`s how things have turned out because of the spending spree and messed up cap jump of the last few years. Front offices probably need a few years to balance things out and manage the cap until things level off.

mightybosstone
02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
I'm not a triangle!

I don't see Lou Will setting any tone for the market this summer. I just don't. I get it, he's hot and he does it every year but he's been shunned by team after team. Of course he's only getting the MLE in a deal.

But you're completely missing the point. Forget about what you think of Lou Will. Whether you like the guy or not is completely irrelevant. What's important is what the market is willing to pay a player. Look at how much other score-first wings have gotten in recent years.

Eric Gordon is actually the perfect comparison. They're both score-first guys who thrive in sixth-man roles. Eric's contract at the time two years ago seemed like an overpay because of his injury history, but he's put up similar numbers to Lou Will the last two seasons, and most people consider his contract of $13.2 million a year to be pretty great value for the market the last two years.

But guys who are worse than Gordon have gotten similar deals. Portland is paying Evan Turner $17.5 million a year and Mo Harkless $10.5 million a year; the Cavs are paying Smith and Shumpert $14.25 million and $10 million, respectively; and the Knicks are playing Hardaway $17.7 million a year. And those are just the first few examples I could think of off the top of my head.

Based on what combo guards and wings have gotten on the market the last two seasons, Lou Will should at the very least be in that $12 million-$13 million range. The fact that he's taking that much less money says something about what the market is going to look like this summer. That's the point.

IndyRealist
02-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Contract extensions are not the same as free agency. Players don't get the chance to test the market on extensions, they have to decide if contract security and not having to move again is worth potentially giving up money on the open market. For all we know, someone could have thrown $20M/yr at him this summer.

Lou's contract has absolutely no bearing on free agency.

Chronz
02-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Great ****ing contract

mightybosstone
02-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Contract extensions are not the same as free agency. Players don't get the chance to test the market on extensions, they have to decide if contract security and not having to move again is worth potentially giving up money on the open market. For all we know, someone could have thrown $20M/yr at him this summer.

Lou's contract has absolutely no bearing on free agency.

Heartily agree to disagree. Lou Will was about to be an UFA. He's not an idiot and his agent isn't an idiot. If they thought he was going to get substantially more on the open market, they wouldn't have signed that extension

Also, you realize I'm not making this narrative up, right? Look up practically any article on the extension, and they're all asking the same questions.

It's possible that Lou Will drastically underestimated his value, but in this era where it takes 30 seconds to look up the contract of any player in any professional sport, I highly doubt that.

jaydubb
02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Man.. Don't get me wrong, $24million over 3 years is a ton of money but I just think Lou could have gotten way more than that.. His whole career I feel like he's been underpaid compared to what others have gotten. This is likely going to be the last decent contract he will get in his career.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

IndyRealist
02-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Heartily agree to disagree. Lou Will was about to be an UFA. He's not an idiot and his agent isn't an idiot. If they thought he was going to get substantially more on the open market, they wouldn't have signed that extension

Also, you realize I'm not making this narrative up, right? Look up practically any article on the extension, and they're all asking the same questions.

It's possible that Lou Will drastically underestimated his value, but in this era where it takes 30 seconds to look up the contract of any player in any professional sport, I highly doubt that.

We don't actually know his agent isn't an idiot. The only nba players Wallace Prather represents are Lou and Derrick Favors. The rest of his clients are overseas.

Tg11
02-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Lou Williams he has had a career year with the Clips but then again can that transition into him being their franchise player going forward? I mean he has all but carried this team but can he keep up this style of play going into next season and beyond?