PDA

View Full Version : Which player were 'untouchable' because of their potenial, but shoudln't have been?

JasonJohnHorn
02-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Which player were 'untouchable' because of their potenial, but shoudln't have been?

I was thinking back to the time when the Suns were reportedly willing to trade Stoudemire in exchange for J.J. Hickson and other pieces, but the Cavs were reportedly quite adament that they would not give up Hickson in a trade. I don't know how true this was, but when the rumours were flying, some fans were opposed to giving up Hickson to get Amare.

In hindsight, though Amare went down hill shortly thereafter (due to injuries), he would have been ripe to help the Cavs with that title run and perhaps convinced James to stay.

What other player were treated as 'untouchable' in trades early in their career based on potential and shouldn't have been?

KnicksorBust
02-06-2018, 12:25 PM
If the rumors from the 80s are true... Ralph Sampson.

He could have gotten the Rockets Clyde Drexler and the #2. They could have had Drexler/MJ/Dream on one team at the beginning of their careers.

Ahriman
02-06-2018, 12:31 PM
I think teams were much less inclined to trade young prospects back in the day but now it's rarely the case when they don't pull the trigger. See Vonleh, Dunn, Hield...

Even though right now I think Booker is one 'untouchable' probably shouldn't be

YAALREADYKNO
02-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Which player were 'untouchable' because of their potenial, but shoudln't have been?

I was thinking back to the time when the Suns were reportedly willing to trade Stoudemire in exchange for J.J. Hickson and other pieces, but the Cavs were reportedly quite adament that they would not give up Hickson in a trade. I don't know how true this was, but when the rumours were flying, some fans were opposed to giving up Hickson to get Amare.

In hindsight, though Amare went down hill shortly thereafter (due to injuries), he would have been ripe to help the Cavs with that title run and perhaps convinced James to stay.

What other player were treated as 'untouchable' in trades early in their career based on potential and shouldn't have been?

I remember this lol

Firefistus
02-06-2018, 01:44 PM
The first player that comes to mind is Okafor, they kept him 2 years too long and was considered untouchable because of his potential.....which they threw down the drain by not playing him at all.

ewing
02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Ricky Rubio was on everyone radar but turn into an average PG at best

warfelg
02-06-2018, 02:03 PM
The first player that comes to mind is Okafor, they kept him 2 years too long and was considered untouchable because of his potential.....which they threw down the drain by not playing him at all.

He was never considered untouchable. The asking price on him was higher than the on court value.

He also went from a team that didnít play him because of conditioning to a team not playing him because of conditioning.

Okafor is a case of the only blame goes on the man in the mirror.

BKLYNpigeon
02-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Everyone is tradable except for about 10 players.

sixer04fan
02-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Okafor was never ever considered untouchable lol.

TrueFan420
02-06-2018, 03:56 PM
Anthony Randolph was viewed as untouchable because of his potential but just never panned out.

Cal827
02-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Andrea Bargnani :facepalm:

Storch
02-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball

lol

JasonJohnHorn
02-06-2018, 09:37 PM

He could have gotten the Rockets Clyde Drexler and the #2. They could have had Drexler/MJ/Dream on one team at the beginning of their careers.

Ralph Samsom was the real deal. That was just injuries. When he was healthy, he was elite.

And as great as 'Jordan/Drexler' sounds now, at the time, Hakeem/Samson (two dominant post players) sounded a LOT better to most GMs.

Everybody wanted Moses/Barkley, Hakeem/Thorpe, Daughtery/Nance.

It was Jordan that made wings a viable first option as a structural plan (though other teams relied on the wings in the past).

Scoots
02-06-2018, 11:36 PM
He was never considered untouchable. The asking price on him was higher than the on court value.

He also went from a team that didnít play him because of conditioning to a team not playing him because of conditioning.

Okafor is a case of the only blame goes on the man in the mirror.

A bust by any other name. It's a shame but he has underperformed even the most dire predictions for his career thus far.

warfelg
02-07-2018, 08:30 AM
A bust by any other name. It's a shame but he has underperformed even the most dire predictions for his career thus far.

I wish we could hit a point where we can say what it is as opposed to trying to blame the franchise.

europagnpilgrim
02-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Rodney Stuckey, it was such a love relationship with Dumars that not only did Iverson not get his number but they tried to bench AI or RIP to keep that classic bum of a player in the rotation, then ship him off after the AI fiasco simmered over, some keeper he was, for the gleague

KnicksorBust
02-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball

lol

:laugh:

JasonJohnHorn
02-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Rodney Stuckey, it was such a love relationship with Dumars that not only did Iverson not get his number but they tried to bench AI or RIP to keep that classic bum of a player in the rotation, then ship him off after the AI fiasco simmered over, some keeper he was, for the gleague

Well... I'm not sure AI getting his 'numbers' would have helped the Pistons (a career .425 shooter and about .300 from the arc taking 20 shots a game on the down swing of his career doesn't sound like a good idea).

But yeah... what was up with the Stuckey thing. People were saying "He's the next Dwyane Wade." I was like... what? Are we watching the same guy?

mrblisterdundee
02-07-2018, 11:25 PM
Andrea Bargnani :facepalm:

The Raptors hurt themselves and others with that one. I remember when Chuck Swirsky's family got threats because he was the one guy who voted Bargnani Rookie of the year instead of Brandon Roy.

Chronz
02-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Whoever the heat refused to trade to get hakeem

Sanjay
06-23-2018, 12:45 AM
Whoever the heat refused to trade to get hakeem

Glen Rice

IKnowHoops
06-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Didnít dream and Ralph sweep the Lakers in the playoffs one year...then Ralph got hurt

Vinylman
06-23-2018, 10:55 AM
I think teams were much less inclined to trade young prospects back in the day but now it's rarely the case when they don't pull the trigger. See Vonleh, Dunn, Hield...

Even though right now I think Booker is one 'untouchable' probably shouldn't be

what? That's like a garbage heap of youth

c.c.
06-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Didnít dream and Ralph sweep the Lakers in the playoffs one year...then Ralph got hurt

He got a hurt a lot!

TakeYourL
06-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Deron Wiliams for sure belongs on this list. I still can't believe jazz gave Sloan the boot for that bum.

blams
06-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Luol ****ing Deng

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

warfelg
06-23-2018, 02:24 PM
Hot take among Sixer fans: Dario Saric.

JAZZNC
06-23-2018, 03:50 PM
Deron Wiliams for sure belongs on this list. I still can't believe jazz gave Sloan the boot for that bum.

The Jazz didn't boot Sloan, he decided to leave. And at the time Deron Williams was a hell of a player. They got a good haul for Williams but we totally squandered it. Kinda pathetic that we traded our franchise player and all we got was Favors underachieving ***, Kanter, and half of Trey Burke.

Favors should have been traded almost as soon as he got to Utah. We could have got a good bit for him based on his potential that he never met. I never got the hype but early in his career people really saw a lot in him.

Mr.B
06-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Rodrigue Beaubois

TakeYourL
06-23-2018, 05:59 PM
The Jazz didn't boot Sloan, he decided to leave. And at the time Deron Williams was a hell of a player. They got a good haul for Williams but we totally squandered it. Kinda pathetic that we traded our franchise player and all we got was Favors underachieving ***, Kanter, and half of Trey Burke.

Favors should have been traded almost as soon as he got to Utah. We could have got a good bit for him based on his potential that he never met. I never got the hype but early in his career people really saw a lot in him.

Sloan was forced out because he didn't get along with deron. Sloan made him look way better than he was which we saw once definitely no longer had Sloan.

STRIKERC
06-23-2018, 06:36 PM

I think most Sixers fans like myself will like to see him maximize his potential to gauge his true value before we trade him. We saw him take a huge step forward this past season. Let's see if he'll continue improving next season.

IndyRealist
06-23-2018, 08:08 PM
I think most Sixers fans like myself will like to see him maximize his potential to gauge his true value before we trade him. We saw him take a huge step forward this past season. Let's see if he'll continue improving next season.

The problem with that is you never know when someone peaked until they start declining. You want to sell high.

ewing
06-24-2018, 07:21 AM
Iman Shumpert

infernoscurse
06-24-2018, 08:28 AM
porzingis

warfelg
06-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Like IndyRealist said the longer you wait on him to hit that the less you might get. I wouldn't let him be the stopping point in getting a trade done.

I personally think he's closer to his ceiling than his floor. His shooting and passing will get a little better, but he's not a great athlete so he's limited there. He's a good rebounder, good player out of the post. But I think that his talents aren't being fully used here, and with being closer to his ceiling, we should be looking to sell high right now than waiting longer.

hugepatsfan
06-24-2018, 09:09 AM

Saric is not someone that should be considered untouchable. Good player though.

warfelg
06-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Saric is not someone that should be considered untouchable. Good player though.

Yea. You hear a lot of what you see above. "Can't give up on what he could be". There's not giving up, it's improving the current status of the team.

To me it's like when there's a trade suggestion including Markelle Fultz. People that aren't Sixer fans say he's nothing and doesn't move the needle, mostly salary matching. Sixer fans put him as near untouchable because what if he puts it all together and is an All-Star. The truth is somewhere in the middle. He's a good asset, but not so great he's almost untouchable. He's not so bad that no one would want him because there is a lot of talent there, and with the right people working with him it's sounding like the trainer (who's dating his mom) really screwed him up last year and it was only an abortion.

Before this offseason I would have said there is only 5 current players who are truly untouchable: LeBron, Curry, Kawhi, Embiid, Davis

Given Kawhi's status I might need to change that. But look at those other 4 and try to convince me that there's some team with the package to make that team happy. I don't think there really is.

TakeYourL
06-24-2018, 03:44 PM
Blake griffin

JAZZNC
06-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Yea. You hear a lot of what you see above. "Can't give up on what he could be". There's not giving up, it's improving the current status of the team.

To me it's like when there's a trade suggestion including Markelle Fultz. People that aren't Sixer fans say he's nothing and doesn't move the needle, mostly salary matching. Sixer fans put him as near untouchable because what if he puts it all together and is an All-Star. The truth is somewhere in the middle. He's a good asset, but not so great he's almost untouchable. He's not so bad that no one would want him because there is a lot of talent there, and with the right people working with him it's sounding like the trainer (who's dating his mom) really screwed him up last year and it was only an abortion.

Before this offseason I would have said there is only 5 current players who are truly untouchable: LeBron, Curry, Kawhi, Embiid, Davis

Given Kawhi's status I might need to change that. But look at those other 4 and try to convince me that there's some team with the package to make that team happy. I don't think there really is.

So you would trade Simmons before Embiid? I would probably rather have Simmons but I'd like to know from somebody who watches them all the time. They're both incredible but the PF sized point guard that's a triple double machine and is projecting to be an elite defender would have to be at the top of my list.

warfelg
06-24-2018, 04:34 PM
So you would trade Simmons before Embiid? I would probably rather have Simmons but I'd like to know from somebody who watches them all the time. They're both incredible but the PF sized point guard that's a triple double machine and is projecting to be an elite defender would have to be at the top of my list.

Push comes to shove if it was one or the other I think I would chose Embiid. Simmons is still very dependent on developing a jumper. Embiid is just conditioning away from being there.

maddBat
06-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Michael Jordan

Gritz
06-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Andrew Bynum

corky831
06-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Rondo for the Cs

Chronz
06-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Luol deng

Chronz
06-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Rondo for the Cs

They tried trading him

Chronz
06-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Rodrigue Beaubois

The next Tony parker

Switch
06-24-2018, 05:33 PM

What other player were treated as 'untouchable' in trades early in their career based on potential and shouldn't have been?That's funny I immediately thought of JJ Hickson as soon as I read the thread title. Anthony Randolph also comes to mind

corky831
06-24-2018, 09:59 PM
They tried trading him

Ya when his value wasn't as high as it was from 2008-2010. I remember trade talks back then of Rondo for Curry and Celtics fans not wanting to do that....Curry was good back then, but was nowhere near the player he is today and there was some concerns with his ankles I believe. I loved Rondo too, but he was valued so high in the Boston organization that they should have sold high on him. Unfortunately Pierce, Garnett, and Perkins loved him and the Celtics were trying to hold on to their team to win another title. They thought Rondo could lead the Cs after Pierce and Garnett were traded as well, which was a mistake. Rondo was a product of the Big 3, and he actually played defense his first 3-4 seasons. Ray Allen left town because of Rondo, and he went on to help the Heat win a championship. The celtics overvalued Rondo.

ldawg
06-25-2018, 12:26 AM
Andrew Bynum

Jamiecballer
06-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Andrea Bargnani. Last I heard Bryan Colangelo still wouldn't consider dealing him.