PDA

View Full Version : Monroe bought out: UPDATE *Signed with Celtics*

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2018, 11:21 AM
I know a lot of people here are a little sour on Monroe, but I feel like he can really contribute.

After developing a solid offensive game that included some adept passing in Detroit, SVG decided Cheeks decided to run an offense that allow Jennings and Josh Smith to pass the ball back and forth from each other and excluded Monroe. SVG came in and seemed to have no interest in using Monroe who eventually got sent to the Bucks, where Jason Kidd has no become infamous for misusing his roster and creating horrendous line-ups.

Defensive complaints (legitimate) aside, Monroe is a rebounding stud, and he can score. His offensive effiency (which dipped a little but his second and third seasons when defenses began to focus on him as Detroit primary offensive weapon) has increased. He was over .500 from the field the last couple of season, and this year is just over .600 in a limited role (which it seems is what is best suited for him).

This guy may not be the All-Star that some thought/hoped after his promising start, but he can be a great role player.

So... now that he's free... which team could benefit most by adding him?

I feel like the coaching staff in SAS could set him on the right track defensively, but that may be too much to hope for. If in Houston or GSW, his efficiency and rebounding could improve. The Cavs just lost Love, and though Monroe is no 3pt shooter, it may help to have another offensive option for the next few weeks.

Thoughts?

Htownballa1622
02-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Celtics

They want every player that becomes available.
Monroe, Tyreke, Anthony Davis, Boogie, Lebron, Durant.
Get it done Danny!

WaDe03
02-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Cavs Celtics Pelicans are the teams I've seen so far.

WaDe03
02-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Now Spurs and Wizards as well.

Heediot
02-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Cavs Celtics Pelicans are the teams I've seen so far.

Pelicans and Celtics. Cavs he could help but I think Bron likes his big guys on the perimeter.

Pelicans give him the most playing time and minutes so he can up his value for free agency.

Celtics gives him the best combo of competing for something and playing time.

Spurs already have 2 guys who need touches on the low block.

Wiz would be interesting, I can see it enticing him.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-01-2018, 11:40 AM
The Thunder desperately need bench scoring contribution, and if they can get it from the back up Center position would be huge for them.

Heediot
02-01-2018, 11:41 AM
I think he would help in Houston too, situationally as he can be an iso big man in the playoffs. Not sure how much Mike would run plays for that dynamic though.

Heediot
02-01-2018, 11:42 AM
The Thunder desperately need bench scoring contribution, and if they can get it from the back up Center position would be huge for them.

That's true, forgot about the Thunder, they need as much Bench help as they can get.

BKLYNpigeon
02-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Pelicans.

they can offer him a starting role.

KnicksorBust
02-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Boogie and Love being injured means Pelicans and Cavs should be front-runners. Cavs could just play LeBron at the 4 but Pelicans have a system built for 2 bigs. I like him in New Orleans.

LA4life24/8
02-01-2018, 12:43 PM
My guess is pels if they can't get mirotic. But celts can offer more money cuz the injured player exception

WaDe03
02-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Woj said Gentry called him and offered him the starting spot.

IndyRealist
02-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Woj said Gentry called him and offered him the starting spot.
I don't think Woj is in game shape.

WaDe03
02-01-2018, 01:37 PM

:laugh:

Give him 2 weeks and he'll be ready.

KnicksorBust
02-01-2018, 03:12 PM

Scoots
02-01-2018, 07:27 PM
The Warriors could use some post scoring.

KnickNyKnick
02-01-2018, 08:16 PM

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2018, 09:26 PM
I think he would help in Houston too, situationally as he can be an iso big man in the playoffs. Not sure how much Mike would run plays for that dynamic though.

This is a great point. I'm not sure Monroe would need plays run for him really... as long as he can to a pick and role like Capela... but essentially, he'd be like Jordan Bell or McGee.... the permiter gusy spread the floor, and he's just a post player who can step in and take that ball to the basket for a high-percentage two. He doesn't have the athleticism of those guys, but when guys like CP3, Harden, and Anderson are opening up the floor for you, the offence just creates itself.

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Pelicans and Celtics. Cavs he could help but I think Bron likes his big guys on the perimeter.

Pelicans give him the most playing time and minutes so he can up his value for free agency.

Celtics gives him the best combo of competing for something and playing time.

Spurs already have 2 guys who need touches on the low block.

Wiz would be interesting, I can see it enticing him.

Two great posts in one thread.

This is a succint summation of the teams that would be be on most people's radar.

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2018, 09:28 PM
woj said gentry called him and offered him the starting spot.

lmao!!!

WaDe03
02-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Greg Monroe to the Celtics per Woj. Good pickup.

hugepatsfan
02-02-2018, 01:58 PM
BOS's rotation now would seem to be:

Kyrie / Rozier
Brown / Smart
Tatum / Morris
Horford / Ojeleye or Theis
Baynes / Monroe

Ojeleye is a combo forward, Theis is a 4/5. So it'll depend on which matchup they like. It also gives them flexibility for if Morris continues to miss time.

I still want BOS to pursue a guy like Tyreke Evans.

Jamiecballer
02-02-2018, 02:16 PM
this is a good move for boston. i think the Raptors can beat Boston but the advantage they have are the bigs and this narrows that gap a fair bit. totally wish he went elsewhere.

Heediot
02-02-2018, 03:28 PM
If there is one coach ''fluid'' enough to integrate and make use of a guy like Monroe, outside of Pops, it's Stevens. He seems to know how to position players for success.

YAALREADYKNO
02-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Solid pick up for the Celtics

IndyRealist
02-02-2018, 06:18 PM
If there is one coach ''fluid'' enough to integrate and make use of a guy like Monroe, outside of Pops, it's Stevens. He seems to know how to position players for success.

They also have a solid defensive team at virtually every position to cover for him. Personally I thought he'd go somewhere he could rehab his career, get lots of minutes and shoot for one last payday. Guess he wants to win.

aman_13
02-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Solid pick up for the Celtics

Not a very good pick and roll defender, in fact he's a liability defensively. He should give them a little more offense here and there. He can pass the ball, so he will fit in well in Brad's system.

aman_13
02-02-2018, 06:35 PM
this is a good move for boston. i think the Raptors can beat Boston but the advantage they have are the bigs and this narrows that gap a fair bit. totally wish he went elsewhere.

He is not talented enough to be the difference but he seems to play well against the Raptors. Of course the Raptors are one of the few teams that still play a traditional lineup so he probably feels comfortable.

Jamiecballer
02-02-2018, 07:11 PM
He is not talented enough to be the difference but he seems to play well against the Raptors. Of course the Raptors are one of the few teams that still play a traditional lineup so he probably feels comfortable.Well... that's not true. You don't have to be "x" talented to be the difference. The Celtics bigs outside Horford are a major weakness and this guy is having a very nice season. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Toxeryll
02-02-2018, 08:39 PM
I like this move for BOS. A big man is clearly a need and Monroe fits nicely.