PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Surprised that guys like Mitch Kupchak and David Griffen are out of jobs?

LaVar Ball
01-30-2018, 05:07 PM
Mitch took over for Jerry West after the Lakers' 2000 championship and made improvements to win 2 more to be able to 3-peat. Then he made the difficult decision of trading Shaq for Odom, Grant, Butler but made picks like Farmar and Bynum. Traded Butler to the Wizards for Kwame who was traded for Pau. Won 2 more chips. And even though it didn't work out, was able to put together a 4-tandem of Pau-Dwight-Nash-Kobe.

Griffen traded Wiggins for Love, brought back Bron and made 3 straight finals a a chip.

You guys surprised these guys don't have an NBA executive/GM job?

Chronz
01-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Lol what? Mitch was awful. He inherited a team on the rise and allowed it to whither away with horrible decisions. Given his luck, no, I'm not surprised. A guy like Morey would've kept them contending. A guy like bird would've done a far better job imo

Chronz
01-30-2018, 05:50 PM
Griffin swung some title changing moves so I understand him, but kupkake? Lmfao, why?

Lakers + Giants
01-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Mozgov and Deng. Nuff said.

Chronz
01-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Has any gm done as bad as deng and moz? In a single off-season no less. Lmfao , seriously op, wtf

Lakers + Giants
01-30-2018, 06:18 PM
I still remember saying teams would be stupid enough to pay players like Biyombo huge money. Then we go out and give the two worst contracts. Damn, feelsbadman. As a result we had to give up Dlo. Luckily we got Kuzma cuz I'd still be ****in irate.

Lakers + Giants
01-30-2018, 06:24 PM
I was scared of us chasing Derozan and Whiteside. Be careful what you wish for :laugh2:

WaDe03
01-30-2018, 06:46 PM
If David Griffin was still in Cleveland this is probably the Cavs lineup:

Bledsoe/Wade
PG/JR
LeBron/Korver
Love/Green
TT/Frye

LOb0
01-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Griffin swung some title changing moves so I understand him, but kupkake? Lmfao, why?

Just a question, at the time did you like the Nash and Dwight moves?

I know it doesn't excuse Mozgov and Deng but, just wondering.

Chronz
01-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 but I don't get why teams shoot themselves in the foot by gambling on guys like that, especially teams like the Lakers. I know you got Kuz but imagine the haul for D Lo if you didn't have to attach an albatross of a contact with him. At the least you can fetch another first rounder.

Chronz
01-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Just a question, at the time did you like the Nash and Dwight moves?

I know it doesn't excuse Mozgov and Deng but, just wondering.
Loved them but the primary asset the Lakers had in that trade had NOTHING to do with kupcuck. Bynum is an infamous Buss son (I forget his name) draft decision. Phil wanted Sean May that year lol so it could've been worse.

Scoots
01-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Has any gm done as bad as deng and moz? In a single off-season no less. Lmfao , seriously op, wtf

LaVar Ball. Clear?

Scoots
01-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Griffin will get another shot, if he wants one.

Vee-Rex
01-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Griffin will get another shot, if he wants one.

Yeah, I've been under the impression that Griffin hasn't really been looking for work.

SfgiantsJD3
01-30-2018, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I've been under the impression that Griffin hasn't really been looking for work.

Well he was also out of work late in the year so most of the jobs had filled

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Kupchak was awful. He got lucky that West was burning down the fort and picked up Gasol, and in that deal he got FLEESED for Marc Gasol (who he could have easily kept).

With that... he was able to get a couple more titles in the slightly revamped engine he inherited from Jerry West, but not before crashing the car.

He just expected free agents to sign with them because they were 'the Lakers'. He traded draft picks for Steven Nash. He brought in an aged MWP/Ron Artest. Brought in Dwight when it was almost certain that he'd be leaving. Messed up a trade for CP3.

I mean, he had Kobe demanding a trade.

Had he come to the Lakers at Kobe's retirement, he wouldn't have been able to build a team if his life depended on it.

Griffen was lucky that Bron came back, but he did a pretty good job of putting the right pieces together around him. I'd say he was pretty good. Not suprised he's fired though, because Gilbert is a tool.

jaydubb
01-30-2018, 10:27 PM
I could see it now.. Mitch kupchak becomes gm of the warriors.. Let's kd walk, just flat out refuses to meet with him again.. Trades Steph curry and Klay Thompson for expirings. Then offers Tyler Ennis (the last player that he traded for while employed for lakers) a 5 year $175million contract.

Single handedly fixing the nba... :clap:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TrueFan420
01-30-2018, 11:01 PM

He's likely waiting for the right situation.

Vinylman
01-31-2018, 08:42 AM
Kupchak was awful. He got lucky that West was burning down the fort and picked up Gasol, and in that deal he got FLEESED for Marc Gasol (who he could have easily kept).

With that... he was able to get a couple more titles in the slightly revamped engine he inherited from Jerry West, but not before crashing the car.

He just expected free agents to sign with them because they were 'the Lakers'. He traded draft picks for Steven Nash. He brought in an aged MWP/Ron Artest. Brought in Dwight when it was almost certain that he'd be leaving. Messed up a trade for CP3.

I mean, he had Kobe demanding a trade.

Had he come to the Lakers at Kobe's retirement, he wouldn't have been able to build a team if his life depended on it.

Griffen was lucky that Bron came back, but he did a pretty good job of putting the right pieces together around him. I'd say he was pretty good. Not suprised he's fired though, because Gilbert is a tool.

I hate Mitch Kupchak with a passion that can't be measured

with that said the above is the most ignorant post I have ever seen regarding the Lakers

JasonJohnHorn
01-31-2018, 10:38 AM

with that said the above is the most ignorant post I have ever seen regarding the Lakers

Even when you agree with me, you still need to respond with an insulting post devoid of content that add no substance to the conversation.

I get it. You don't like me. You going to waste people's time with stupid $#!t like this?

Nothing I said in that post regarding his moves with the Lakers is even an opinion. It is all quantifiable fact. You're just a bitter dude with a grudge that likes to insult people.

Get over yourself.

Vinylman
01-31-2018, 11:08 AM
Even when you agree with me, you still need to respond with an insulting post devoid of content that add no substance to the conversation.

I get it. You don't like me. You going to waste people's time with stupid $#!t like this?

Nothing I said in that post regarding his moves with the Lakers is even an opinion. It is all quantifiable fact. You're just a bitter dude with a grudge that likes to insult people.

Get over yourself.

100% wrong... everything posted is your opinion and shows you know nothing about what was going on inside the Lakers FO

You are a joke

BKLYNpigeon
01-31-2018, 11:12 AM
Mozgov and Deng. Nuff said.

everyone may look at the bad moves he made.

Kup had a good run with the Lakers. Built 2 championship teams. I think all fans would take that for a 10 year span.

breakbad
01-31-2018, 01:29 PM
I've never liked the Vinyl dude as he always has had something negative to say when I've seen him and that gets on my nerves, but he's totally right. Everything the Jason guy posted was about as wrong as possible.

Let's break it down:
1st, Marc Gasol was a fat, nobody second round pick who wasn't even in the League and held almost zero value when he was traded for his all-world brother, along with KWAME BROWN and Crittenton. You just said Mitch got FLEECED in that trade. Like, seriously? I've never read anything more hilarious.

Your second sentence said something about crashing the car. Um, okay. Let's see, he inherited the Shaq and Kobe beef, and chose Kobe. HUGE W. In hindsight landing Odom who was about to enter his prime and was a giant piece to two more Championship squads while Shaq kept his form for a few more seasons before breaking down, that also was at least an okay trade, if not a very good one.

He then spent exactly one Kobe injury plagued season out of the playoffs, in which he landed the 10th pick and drafted a no name, youngest player ever drafted, giant project named Andrew Bynum. Who also played a key role on two championship teams and was an awesome player for the little stretch he got to play healthy. That's another W.

K, he then finished off the re-build with Bringing back the Phil-Fish combo, followed by the all-time Pau trade, to go with the Kobe-Odom-Bynum core he had built. He's doing great so far.

Next, you hate on the Artest signing; another hugely ignorant opinion.
Metta had just got done having the best stretch of his career destroying us in the playoffs without Yau or T-mac, and he signed for 5 Million a year, or the MLE; WAY less than Market Value, just to play with Kobe and to win a Championship. Which he did, btw. That was an AWESOME signing. One of my all time favorites.

Nash was still Nash the year before we got him, and we traded the picks because we were over the cap and only had the Odom trade-exception to give. At that point it was safe to assume the picks were going to be late firsts, which anyone in the League would have traded for an all-time great like Nash, and many wanted to, he just chose the Lakers. The injuries he endured while with us make that trade look horrible, but that's 100% hindsight. That was a good trade when it went down.

It was nowhere near certain Dwight was going to leave when that trade was made. It was heavily assumed he would stay, because of obvious reasons, actually. If that trade doesn't go down, then Bynum would have been re-signed for the max, and would have ended up as a worse Contract than Deng or Moz's.
Dwight was also considered a top 5 player at that point, and again, that was a trade anyone in the League would have made and was one that had other teams crying Laker Bias and analysts picking us to win the Title. That trade was a huge W.

And the Nash thing was a desperate re-action to the League royally SCREWING us over on the CP3 trade, which also would have went down as one of the best deals ever. Older Pau and Odom for CP3? Damn. What should have been. You saying he screwed that up is the dumbest part of the whole post. lmao

D'antoni is and always has been an awesome Coach who just didn't fit with the team that had been built to be big and slow paced. Pretty sure that was Jim's decision.

That season was the season that started the series of unfortunate events that lead the Lakers to the worst stretch in team history. Dr. Buss died and left it to Jim, no need to even go into that. Kobe gets hurt and unofficially retires, except he is still on the team playing horribly and taking up all of the cap. B. Scott is not a Head Coach in today's league.
I think Jim signed the free agents, while Mitch and Ryan West ran the draft. So I blame Deng and Moz on Jim, lol. And I think Mitch left us Ingram and Luke as elite, young little parting gifts for the future. Along with Russ who got us out of one of them contracts and got us the ammunition to have the deepest draft haul I have personally ever seen with this rookie class.

Anddd okay, I'm done. haha

Vinylman
01-31-2018, 01:42 PM
I've never liked the Vinyl dude as he always has had something negative to say when I've seen him and that gets on my nerves, but he's totally right. Everything the Jason guy posted was about as wrong as possible.

Let's break it down:
1st, Marc Gasol was a fat, nobody second round pick who wasn't even in the League and held almost zero value when he was traded for his all-world brother, along with KWAME BROWN and Crittenton. You just said Mitch got FLEECED in that trade. Like, seriously? I've never read anything more hilarious.

Your second sentence said something about crashing the car. Um, okay. Let's see, he inherited the Shaq and Kobe beef, and chose Kobe. HUGE W. In hindsight landing Odom who was about to enter his prime and was a giant piece to two more Championship squads while Shaq kept his form for a few more seasons before breaking down, that also was at least an okay trade, if not a very good one.

He then spent exactly one Kobe injury plagued season out of the playoffs, in which he landed the 10th pick and drafted a no name, youngest player ever drafted, giant project named Andrew Bynum. Who also played a key role on two championship teams and was an awesome player for the little stretch he got to play healthy. That's another W.

K, he then finished off the re-build with Bringing back the Phil-Fish combo, followed by the all-time Pau trade, to go with the Kobe-Odom-Bynum core he had built. He's doing great so far.

Metta had just got done having the best stretch of his career destroying us in the playoffs without Yau or T-mac, and he signed for 5 Million a year, or the MLE; WAY less than Market Value, just to play with Kobe and to win a Championship. Which he did, btw. That was an AWESOME signing. One of my all time favorites.

Nash was still Nash the year before we got him, and we traded the picks because we were over the cap and only had the Odom trade-exception to give. At that point it was safe to assume the picks were going to be late firsts, which anyone in the League would have traded for an all-time great like Nash, and many wanted to, he just chose the Lakers. The injuries he endured while with us make that trade look horrible, but that's 100% hindsight. That was a good trade when it went down.

It was nowhere near certain Dwight was going to leave when that trade was made. It was heavily assumed he would stay, because of obvious reasons, actually. If that trade doesn't go down, then Bynum would have been re-signed for the max, and would have ended up as a worse Contract than Deng or Moz's.
Dwight was also considered a top 5 player at that point, and again, that was a trade anyone in the League would have made and was one that had other teams crying Laker Bias and analysts picking us to win the Title. That trade was a huge W.

And the Nash thing was a desperate re-action to the League royally SCREWING us over on the CP3 trade, which also would have went down as one of the best deals ever. Older Pau and Odom for CP3? Damn. What should have been. You saying he screwed that up is the dumbest part of the whole post. lmao

D'antoni is and always has been an awesome Coach who just didn't fit with the team that had been built to be big and slow paced. Pretty sure that was Jim's decision.

That season was the season that started the series of unfortunate events that lead the Lakers to the worst stretch in team history. Dr. Buss died and left it to Jim, no need to even go into that. Kobe gets hurt and unofficially retires, except he is still on the team playing horribly and taking up all of the cap. B. Scott is not a Head Coach in today's league.
I think Jim signed the free agents, while Mitch and Ryan West ran the draft. So I blame Deng and Moz on Jim, lol. And I think Mitch left us Ingram and Luke as elite, young little parting gifts for the future. Along with Russ who got us out of one of them contracts and got us the ammunition to have the deepest draft haul I have personally ever seen with this rookie class.

even my haters have to agree with me...

Mitch is a POS but only because he was a ***** who wouldn't stand up to Jimbaco

I can't decide which of JJH's idiotic hot takes are the worse but the top 3 are definitely

Memphis trade
signing artest
blaming mitch for the CP3 debacle

breakbad
01-31-2018, 01:46 PM
Don't hate you, just constant negativity about my team. lmao
Are you completely sure he isn't just trolling and saying the most ******** things he can possibly come up with? That's what it seems like. lol

Vinylman
01-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Don't hate you, just constant negativity about my team. lmao
Are you completely sure he isn't just trolling and saying the most ******** things he can possibly come up with? That's what it seems like. lol

nah ... that is just him... he is the only guy in America that thinks the lakers got fleeced in the Pau Gasol deal

talk about revisionist history... if the search function worked on this POS site I bet we could find a post where he is ranting about how unfair it was that the Lakers got Gasol

BKLYNpigeon
01-31-2018, 02:30 PM
Lakers won 2 championships in 10 years with Mitch. Thats a successful career.

Leftcoast_yg
02-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Guys a troll.

Yanks All Day
02-03-2018, 12:09 PM
I'm very surprised that David Griffin isn't in the league, but you also don't hear much about him wanting a job, so it might be a preference thing right now. He'd get another chance if he wanted it. He made 3 straight NBA Finals, won 1, and players raved about him. He made a bunch of mid-season acquisitions every year that ended up being vital pieces to the Cavs' success. Another team will surely look to hire him at some point.

Laker Legend42
02-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Danny ferry drafted Carlos boozer in the 2nd round so you had a cost controlled really good player for a few years. Until he let him out of his rookie contract on a promise only to watch him get maxed by the jazz. Not as bad but bad.

WhiteShadow42
02-05-2018, 04:22 PM

Let's break it down:

Awesome post dude. The problem was not Mitch. Maybe Mitch was too much playing by the rules type of guy, but he knew what he was doing. Jim was a waste of time. The apple fell really far from that tree. I couldn't believe Philly took that trade with Bynum. Thanks for the great post.

WhiteShadow42
02-05-2018, 04:23 PM
I could see it now.. Mitch kupchak becomes gm of the warriors.. Let's kd walk, just flat out refuses to meet with him again.. Trades Steph curry and Klay Thompson for expirings. Then offers Tyler Ennis (the last player that he traded for while employed for lakers) a 5 year $175million contract.

Single handedly fixing the nba... :clap:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Only if Jim Buss comes with him.