PDA

View Full Version : Melo hits 25,000 points

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2018, 08:38 AM
Carmelo Anthony, who is now taking on the roel Mark Aguirre had in Detroit to positive effect, just passed the 25,000 point mark. With LBJ crossing the 30,000 mark in as many seasons as Melo did 25,00, it is easy to lose perspective on how impressive Melo's accomplishment truly is as he is playing in the shadow of a all-time great player. But Melo has joined an exclusive club that only had 20 members.

Whatever you might think of his approach to the game, this is a rare milstone that calls for some love.

And once the applause is done, the question that remains is: will he get to 30?

Thoughts?

KnicksorBust
01-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Happy for Melo. I loved him at Syracuse. Loved him in Denver. Then obviously when he got traded to the Knicks and came home he became my favorite player. It was a dream reunion. The year Woodson moved him to PF, we got the #2 seed and knocked off the Celtics is my favorite season in the last 15 years. Toward the end it got ugly. Even I wanted him gone. But I wish him the best in OKC. I hope OKC makes it to the WCF. I want them vs the Warriors. I actually think if they reach their potential they pose the best threat to pull off an upset.

rhino17
01-28-2018, 05:10 PM
He scored a lot of points on some terrible teams. A lot of meaningless points

KnicksorBust
01-28-2018, 05:57 PM

Can't avoid being called a homer here but obviously I hate this take. Melo's teams were good the majority of his career. Guys like Melo and Dominique were stars who consistently led their teams to winning records. They just were never superstars and never had enough help to make the finals.

More-Than-Most
01-28-2018, 07:40 PM
He will get to 30k... He is a taller slightly more efficient version of iverson... Its a shame if he put in the work Bron did on both sides of the floor and tried to get others involved more he would have been much much better.

archdevil84
01-28-2018, 08:24 PM
I stil think he wouldve fitted perfectly with the heat. Work hard system might turn him around, surrounded by good defensive minded players and let him do his thing on offense

LOb0
01-28-2018, 08:33 PM
I stil think he wouldve fitted perfectly with the heat. Work hard system might turn him around, surrounded by good defensive minded players and let him do his thing on offense

Always thought the Grit and Grind Grizzles would have turned his career around.

cmellofan15
01-28-2018, 08:40 PM

Lmao except the 10 straight seasons where his teams made the playoffs while he was no question the best scorer on all of those teams.

cmellofan15
01-28-2018, 08:42 PM
He will get to 30k... He is a taller slightly more efficient version of iverson... Its a shame if he put in the work Bron did on both sides of the floor and tried to get others involved more he would have been much much better.

How do you compare him to Iverson? Iverson attacked the basket with reckless abandon and Melo made his living in the high post and mid range. How exactly are they comparable besides the lackluster defense?

FlashBolt
01-28-2018, 09:51 PM
How do you compare him to Iverson? Iverson attacked the basket with reckless abandon and Melo made his living in the high post and mid range. How exactly are they comparable besides the lackluster defense?

That was the most random comparison. They are nothing alike. Lol.

Jamiecballer
01-28-2018, 10:45 PM
How do you compare him to Iverson? Iverson attacked the basket with reckless abandon and Melo made his living in the high post and mid range. How exactly are they comparable besides the lackluster defense?Massive ballstoppers. Similar if not identical in impact imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
01-28-2018, 11:04 PM
Massive ballstoppers. Similar if not identical in impact imo.

Its nice to see one someone uses their brain. :cheers:

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2018, 11:06 PM

He also scored a lot of points on a consistently good Denver team that was jsut stuck playing in a rediculously deep west and would cleaned house in the east, and then help lead the Knicks to their best season since they made it to the finals (almost 2 decades).

I'm not a Melo fan to be honest. I don't like his approach to the game. He's a iso player who is ball dominant, doens't create for others, and doens't play consistent defense. And that is a lot of criticism. Be he is an immensley talented player who has put in a lot of had work over the years, and most guys who have played with him come away with positive things to say about him and about playing with him.

Had NY had better managment, not given away draft picks, not let Phil Jackson set the team back 5 years, then perhaps they would have had a different outcome there. I doubt a championship, but something more.

I think in hindsight, suggesting that they were 'terrible' teams and 'meaningless' points is a bit harsh.

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Can't avoid being called a homer here but obviously I hate this take. Melo's teams were good the majority of his career. Guys like Melo and Dominique were stars who consistently led their teams to winning records. They just were never superstars and never had enough help to make the finals.

I'm not a Melo fan, and that said, I can tell you this: that is not a homer opinion. It's common sense. Anybody suggesting that Melo scored 'meaningless' points on 'terrible' teams is mischaracterizing his career. He has underachieved with respect to playoff success, but he also help lead the knicks to their best season in almost 20 years, and lead the Nuggest to what is perhaps their most success era in franchise history. Granted, Doug Moe had a stretch of nine seasons where they got into the playoffs, each year and had more first-year wins, but in that time they also made the playoffs with sub-500 seasons and manage to win in a weaker west. 4 straight 50-wins season, never less than 43 wins in eight seasons. That's pretty impressive. Especially in that Western conference.

You have a solid case. Not a homer position in the least.

Jeffy25
01-28-2018, 11:31 PM

yup

4th most field goal attempts to get there too. The three prior haven't played in this century (Wilkins, Havlicek, Hayes)

He is 21st in points, and already 12th in career field goals missed

Jeffy25
01-28-2018, 11:34 PM
I'm not a Melo fan, and that said, I can tell you this: that is not a homer opinion. It's common sense. Anybody suggesting that Melo scored 'meaningless' points on 'terrible' teams is mischaracterizing his career. He has underachieved with respect to playoff success, but he also help lead the knicks to their best season in almost 20 years, and lead the Nuggest to what is perhaps their most success era in franchise history. Granted, Doug Moe had a stretch of nine seasons where they got into the playoffs, each year and had more first-year wins, but in that time they also made the playoffs with sub-500 seasons and manage to win in a weaker west. 4 straight 50-wins season, never less than 43 wins in eight seasons. That's pretty impressive. Especially in that Western conference.

You have a solid case. Not a homer position in the least.

He was in Denver for 8 seasons, and only led the team in Win Shares once

LaVar Ball
01-29-2018, 01:34 AM
Melo still sucks

ewing
01-29-2018, 08:19 AM

Well that says it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonJohnHorn
01-29-2018, 09:25 AM

This is a fair point to make. In context (and note that I'm a Kobe fan either), the first four full seasons that Gasol played in LAL, including their two championship runs, he led the team in win-shares, though few would argue that he 'led' the team or that he was the best player on the team (I think there is a case for that latter).

'Leading' a team is not necissarily about 'leading them in Win Shares'. A guy who takes on the bulk of the offense might be forced to take inefficient shots. The shot clock is running out? Dump it on Melo; he'll create something. We only got 4 seconds left in the quarter? Dump it on Melo.

In the process, defenses focus on him, and that opens the floor up for other people and in turn allows them to be more efficicent.

Also... there is no denying that though he didn't lead them in Win Shares more than once, he was their leading scorer, and was the leader on the team.

Now this is a devil's advocate position because, as I said, I'm not a Melo fan. I lump his approach to the game (iso player who stops the ball) with the like of Kobe, McGrady, Westbrook, and AI (others have challenged that comparison in the thread, but with respect to how Melo effects the team, More-Than-Most is spot on with the comparison).The difference with Melo is that he's less efficient than either Kobe or McGrady and he's is not a playmaker, which Kobe, McGrady, Wetbrook, and Iverson all were. However, he's also the best rebounder of the group.

It is perhaps unfair to lump Kobe and McGrady in there, because they could also facilitate and create for others, and with Kobe especially, could play in a system that allowed the ball to move.

But yeah... Melo seems like a ball-dominanant player and not the kind of guy I would want to build a contender around.

That said... he was a key cog in that Denver roster that made the playoffs 8 straight seasons in a highly competitive West, were sometimes 50 wins was the requirement to get into the playoffs. That level of play is race. It's hard to name guys who went into the playoffs 8-straight seasons without naming some VERY good players.

He also helped NY to their best season in nearly two decades.

Now Jeffy25, I really like the way you see the game because I get a sense that you really appreciate team play over individual play. And I agree with any issues that you'd have with Melo falling into the later category.

However, I think saying that they were 'meaningless' wins on 'terrible' teams in unfair, because other than a few years in NY (which were more Phil Jackson's fault, and NY's front office's fault) those teams were all playoff teams.

Now, you can note his inefficiency, and how he needed to take more the a crazy number of shots to get that many points, and that's fair, but even so, this is a rare milestone that deserves some kudos, criticisms aside.

Jeffy25
01-29-2018, 10:53 AM
This is a fair point to make. In context (and note that I'm a Kobe fan either), the first four full seasons that Gasol played in LAL, including their two championship runs, he led the team in win-shares, though few would argue that he 'led' the team or that he was the best player on the team (I think there is a case for that latter).

'Leading' a team is not necissarily about 'leading them in Win Shares'. A guy who takes on the bulk of the offense might be forced to take inefficient shots. The shot clock is running out? Dump it on Melo; he'll create something. We only got 4 seconds left in the quarter? Dump it on Melo.

In the process, defenses focus on him, and that opens the floor up for other people and in turn allows them to be more efficicent.

Also... there is no denying that though he didn't lead them in Win Shares more than once, he was their leading scorer, and was the leader on the team.

Now this is a devil's advocate position because, as I said, I'm not a Melo fan. I lump his approach to the game (iso player who stops the ball) with the like of Kobe, McGrady, Westbrook, and AI (others have challenged that comparison in the thread, but with respect to how Melo effects the team, More-Than-Most is spot on with the comparison).The difference with Melo is that he's less efficient than either Kobe or McGrady and he's is not a playmaker, which Kobe, McGrady, Wetbrook, and Iverson all were. However, he's also the best rebounder of the group.

It is perhaps unfair to lump Kobe and McGrady in there, because they could also facilitate and create for others, and with Kobe especially, could play in a system that allowed the ball to move.

But yeah... Melo seems like a ball-dominanant player and not the kind of guy I would want to build a contender around.

That said... he was a key cog in that Denver roster that made the playoffs 8 straight seasons in a highly competitive West, were sometimes 50 wins was the requirement to get into the playoffs. That level of play is race. It's hard to name guys who went into the playoffs 8-straight seasons without naming some VERY good players.

He also helped NY to their best season in nearly two decades.

Now Jeffy25, I really like the way you see the game because I get a sense that you really appreciate team play over individual play. And I agree with any issues that you'd have with Melo falling into the later category.

However, I think saying that they were 'meaningless' wins on 'terrible' teams in unfair, because other than a few years in NY (which were more Phil Jackson's fault, and NY's front office's fault) those teams were all playoff teams.

Now, you can note his inefficiency, and how he needed to take more the a crazy number of shots to get that many points, and that's fair, but even so, this is a rare milestone that deserves some kudos, criticisms aside.

All fair points, I wasn't trying to simply illustrate that Melo wasn't a team player. He certainly had plenty of last second heaves in his shot attempts and his +/- on court vs off court says plenty. I was more so illustrating that he had some help while in Denver.

I think you made a lot of great points in your post.

R. Johnson#3
01-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Melo has been junk for a while now. He was a good player but I lost any respect I had for him when he got jealous of Jeremy Lin. Dude let his ego get in the way of his city's excitement.

archdevil84
01-29-2018, 11:43 AM
if melo improved his defense qualities and accept a lesser role (like he's already doing a bit now) he could become one of the most desired 3&D players in the league + added bonus of being able to score mid and post game aswell

Vee-Rex
01-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Ball-stopper or not, 25k is still an achievement.

Everyone isn't gonna be Jordan or Kobe or LeBron. We can still appreciate guys for their talents and what they excel at without ripping them to shreds every chance we get.

KnicksorBust
01-29-2018, 12:37 PM

Everyone isn't gonna be Jordan or Kobe or LeBron. We can still appreciate guys for their talents and what they excel at without ripping them to shreds every chance we get.

This x100. It's like the hater police are always on duty. Melo can shoot, drive, and post-up. When it comes to scoring the basketball his skillset is unique and impressive. He wasn't as efficient as the superstar players and he always fell short as a facilitator but as an iso scorer he was one of the best players in the league. High volume, good efficiency. At his absolute peak I would say he was a top 3-4 "scorer" in the league. Plus there is always going to be a reason "Olympic Melo" became a thing. He showed how valuable he can be on a great team. He was just never meant to play Batman.

WaDe03
01-29-2018, 12:52 PM

Everyone isn't gonna be Wade or Jordan or Kobe or LeBron. We can still appreciate guys for their talents and what they excel at without ripping them to shreds every chance we get.

This, those 4 are legends that no one can touch and everyone is compared to them for some reason. Melo has had a good career, just couldn't get it done in the end. We'll see how he finishes, he may get to 30K but I'm not sure.

aman_13
01-29-2018, 12:57 PM

+1

Sly Guy
01-29-2018, 01:39 PM
volume guy with an ego to match. When you throw enough **** at the wall some of it sticks.

Here's to 30,000 and several early thunder exits!

(and I used to like him at syracuse too.)

Jamiecballer
01-29-2018, 03:14 PM

Everyone isn't gonna be Jordan or Kobe or LeBron. We can still appreciate guys for their talents and what they excel at without ripping them to shreds every chance we get.Agreed. It's an accomplishment that I feel certain I could not have achieved.

rhino17
01-29-2018, 03:30 PM

Outside of ONE season in New York, his teams were never good. In Denver, he excelled in a great system that didn't skip a beat without him (after he quit on his team).

The biggest problem with Melo is that he never improved his game. He is a scorer and that is it, Period. And not an efficient one at that.

Jeffy25
01-29-2018, 04:02 PM
This, those 4 are legends that no one can touch and everyone is compared to them for some reason. Melo has had a good career, just couldn't get it done in the end. We'll see how he finishes, he may get to 30K but I'm not sure.

Is your ego or love for Wade so weak that you really had to insert him here?

LeonFSU
01-29-2018, 06:02 PM

I don't really know about this last part. Are we really sure its just a matter of the work he's putting in (or not putting in)?

I see a similar sentiment about Dwight Howard a lot. If only he would have put in more work he could have been Shaq. But that's not true. Shaq and LeBron were supremely athletic and had extremely rare attributes for players of their size and athleticism that Dwight and Carmelo, respectively simply didn't have (LeBron - court vision and passing; Shaq - agility, quickness, and touch).

SfgiantsJD3
01-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Is your ego or love for Wade so weak that you really had to insert him here?

He was #1 in implied context annoying or not "Everyone isn't gonna be Wade or Jordan or Kobe or LeBron."