PDA

View Full Version : Who wins a 7-game series in 2016-17 playoffs: Cavaliers or Jazz?

mightybosstone
01-26-2018, 04:09 PM
So a discussion has come up in the last few days on PSD regarding whether the Jazz or Cavaliers would have won a 7-game playoff series against each other in last year's playoffs if given the chance. Simply put, assuming both squads are healthy, which team would have won a playoff series between the two teams last season?

ewing
01-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Cavs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, please
01-26-2018, 04:55 PM
Can't vote on polls sadly on Tapatalk, but can't here to say I said Jazz during last year's playoffs and I'm sticking with Jazz in 6 or 7 games if healthy.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

WaDe03
01-26-2018, 04:58 PM
The Cavs easily.

FlashBolt
01-26-2018, 06:07 PM
I don't even know why this was asked. Cavs would sweep them easily. Playoffs Bron wouldn't even be needed...

mightybosstone
01-26-2018, 06:09 PM
All right, so we're currently sitting at 4-1.

mightybosstone
01-26-2018, 06:11 PM
I don't even know why this was asked. Cavs would sweep them easily. Playoffs Bron wouldn't even be needed...

A certain poster who will go unnamed was adamant amount the Jazz being able to defeat the Cavs last season in a 7-game series. I wanted to make a poll to show how unpopular that opinion would be.

FlashBolt
01-26-2018, 06:17 PM
A certain poster who will go unnamed was adamant amount the Jazz being able to defeat the Cavs last season in a 7-game series. I wanted to make a poll to show how unpopular that opinion would be.

You're falling for his bait. The guy doesn't have a single clue how the Jazz could come close to beating the Cavs. He's just stirring attention because he thrives off it. We've beaten the guy to a bloody pulp in terms of BBALL debates and he's still alive and breathing. There is no scenario where the Jazz would beat the Cavs.. Kyrie+LeBron in the playoffs alone were able to beat the 73 win Warriors. What the hell are the Jazz going to do?

Vee-Rex
01-26-2018, 06:56 PM
We've beaten the guy to a bloody pulp in terms of BBALL debates and he's still alive and breathing.

:laugh2:

https://i.imgflip.com/23fjjw.jpg

LOb0
01-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Either I'm not reading this right or this is the dumbest thread ever.

mightybosstone
01-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Either I'm not reading this right or this is the dumbest thread ever.

So, can I count this as a vote for the Cavs? If so, that'd put us at 8-1.

lol, please
01-26-2018, 07:32 PM
You're falling for his bait. The guy doesn't have a single clue how the Jazz could come close to beating the Cavs. He's just stirring attention because he thrives off it. We've beaten the guy to a bloody pulp in terms of BBALL debates and he's still alive and breathing. There is no scenario where the Jazz would beat the Cavs.. Kyrie+LeBron in the playoffs alone were able to beat the 73 win Warriors. What the hell are the Jazz going to do?Who is this we?

Hope you're not including yourself there bud. Lmao.

lol, please
01-26-2018, 07:35 PM
I don't even know why this was asked. Cavs would sweep them easily. Playoffs Bron wouldn't even be needed...It's asked because mightybosstone doesnt remember I wasn't the only one who held this opinion, and also because he chose to ignore the fact that a majority vote is only indicative of a majority opinion, it doesn't serve as evidence of anything beyond that. He's educated enough to understand this of course, but he's blinded by stubbornness.

What's even funnier is he dismisses polls in the Klay Thompson thread, but now he's back to treating polls on PSD as factual irrefutable evidence again.

LMAO

Chronz
01-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Lol. Wtf

FlashBolt
01-26-2018, 11:49 PM
Who is this we?

Hope you're not including yourself there bud. Lmao.

You're right. I no longer take your posts seriously enough to entertain a debate. You're past the part where people should put any effort to responding to you.

It's asked because mightybosstone doesnt remember I wasn't the only one who held this opinion, and also because he chose to ignore the fact that a majority vote is only indicative of a majority opinion, it doesn't serve as evidence of anything beyond that. He's educated enough to understand this of course, but he's blinded by stubbornness.

What's even funnier is he dismisses polls in the Klay Thompson thread, but now he's back to treating polls on PSD as factual irrefutable evidence again.

LMAO

And the majority of people here find you to be an absolute troll who doesn't understand anything related to basketball other than how wet Klay's jumpshot is. Yes, when the there is an UNANIMOUS vote that the people believe Cavs would beat the Jazz, that means they don't have faith that the Jazz will beat the Cavs. Just like when Curry was UNANIMOUSLY voted as the MVP, they got it right. Do you understand how majority vote works? You make 50000 threads all with polls asking these random hypothetical questions but now you're saying it doesn't mean anything?

mightybosstone
01-26-2018, 11:55 PM
So based on the votes in the poll and those who have not so subtly hinted at their votes in the thread, we're at 10-1. But I get the sense that we could get to 100-1, and lol wouldn't care.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-26-2018, 11:58 PM
Jazz :)

FlashBolt
01-27-2018, 12:01 AM
So based on the votes in the poll and those who have not so subtly hinted at their votes in the thread, we're at 10-1. But I get the sense that we could get to 100-1, and lol wouldn't care.

It's not even that he questioned who would win. It's the fact he doesn't even come up with why he thinks the Jazz would win. It's like when he said Toronto will beat Cleveland the season before and two years ago. I've yet to read a legitimate response from him. If he's going to take the other route and say Jazz will beat the Cavs, go for it. But you're not convincing anyone here of it when you have a reputation of being a LeBron-hater and thus, hate the Cavs.

goingfor28
01-27-2018, 12:20 AM
Cavs easy. Probably sweep. 5 games max. No way in hell the Jazz win 4 games before the Cavs do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

lol, please
01-27-2018, 12:55 AM
You're right. I no longer take your posts seriously enough to entertain a debate. You're past the part where people should put any effort to responding to you.

And the majority of people here find you to be an absolute troll who doesn't understand anything related to basketball other than how wet Klay's jumpshot is. Yes, when the there is an UNANIMOUS vote that the people believe Cavs would beat the Jazz, that means they don't have faith that the Jazz will beat the Cavs. Just like when Curry was UNANIMOUSLY voted as the MVP, they got it right. Do you understand how majority vote works? You make 50000 threads all with polls asking these random hypothetical questions but now you're saying it doesn't mean anything?Do you understand how a majority vote works? As I've explained before, it's simply a majority opinion, which can be a wrong opinion.

You are still trying so hard with ad hominem attacks [emoji23] step your game up flashbolt. Bless your heart.

mightybosstone
01-27-2018, 12:57 AM
Do you understand how a majority vote works? As I've explained before, it's simply a majority opinion, which can be a wrong opinion.

You are still trying so hard with ad hominem attacks [emoji23] step your game up flashbolt. Bless your heart.

But when the vast majority of people disagree with you about something, at some point don't you have to internalize that minority opinion and ask "Maybe I'm in the wrong here?"

lol, please
01-27-2018, 01:00 AM
So based on the votes in the poll and those who have not so subtly hinted at their votes in the thread, we're at 10-1. But I get the sense that we could get to 100-1, and lol wouldn't care.So in this thread a poll is valid and in the Klay thread it isn't?

[emoji23]

Of course I don't care what the vote says, a majority opinion isn't necessarily an informed, or wise one. You know better, have you're fun though. I'm enjoying it as well. It's hilarious, it was hilarious in that playoffs thread too, people were losing their minds at the idea.

lol, please
01-27-2018, 01:07 AM
But when the vast majority of people disagree with you about something, at some point don't you have to internalize that minority opinion and ask "Maybe I'm in the wrong here?"Absolutely, that's part of critical thinking.

Sadly for you in this case, this isn't one of those situations. You made this thread out of spite and hilariously so since you clearly forgot we all discussed this less than two years ago but somehow that wasn't enough for you, their SRS and their roster lead me to believe they would beat what I've always considered a highly overrated roster and flawed team. Other peoples opinions aren't going to sway my own when I solidified my own based off of advanced metrics, the informed opinions of peers, and my own eyes.

And again, you want to jump on me for every little thing but then dodge legitimate criticisms of your biases and how you move goal posts every time you're backed into a corner in a debate, that's cool MBT, keep doing what you're doing. As long as Mr unbiased MBT shows up when we all see who the refs favor in the WCF, everything will be cool.

FlashBolt
01-27-2018, 01:09 AM
Wow, lol, please's vocabulary extends past wet and agreed. I think someone hacked his account. Mods, please check.

Saddletramp
01-27-2018, 06:32 AM
Absolutely, that's part of critical thinking.

Sadly for you in this case, this isn't one of those situations. You made this thread out of spite and hilariously so since you clearly forgot we all discussed this less than two years ago but somehow that wasn't enough for you, their SRS and their roster lead me to believe they would beat what I've always considered a highly overrated roster and flawed team. Other peoples opinions aren't going to sway my own when I solidified my own based off of advanced metrics, the informed opinions of peers, and my own eyes.

And again, you want to jump on me for every little thing but then dodge legitimate criticisms of your biases and how you move goal posts every time you're backed into a corner in a debate, that's cool MBT, keep doing what you're doing. As long as Mr unbiased MBT shows up when we all see who the refs favor in the WCF, everything will be cool.

Bust out the advanced metrics.
Who are these "peers*"?
Your own eyes don't mean **** when you can't even answer why KD's and Lebron's nearly identical statements aren't equal in your eyes. Be a man and answer that question or just stop posting at psd and never come back. I might actually respect you if you just gave up and left for good.

*And if by peers you mean Tre, I'm pretty sure he was called out last year because people knew he was just downplaying the Warriors impact so he was pumping up the Jazz. Notice how he hasn't touched this subject this year.

mightybosstone
01-27-2018, 10:46 AM
So in this thread a poll is valid and in the Klay thread it isn't?
I regret using the phrase "most overrated" in the title, which I admitted in the thread several times. (See how admitting you're wrong works?) But ultimately the poll didn't really mean the same thing in that case as "overrated" is a completely subjective term. I do think the poll was useful though in seeing where people stood, and there were still a lot of voters (close to half) who I thought ranked him much higher than I think he deserved to go. It was hardly a perfect result, and it wasn't exactly what I was anticipating, but it was a result nontheless.

Of course I don't care what the vote says, a majority opinion isn't necessarily an informed, or wise one. You know better, have you're fun though. I'm enjoying it as well. It's hilarious, it was hilarious in that playoffs thread too, people were losing their minds at the idea.

But let's take that Klay poll as an example. As I said in that thread, it's not scientific, and it doesn't really prove or disprove my point that Klay was overrated because it was a small sample size that didn't take media coverage or analyst opinions into account. Plus the nature of "overrated" is totally subjective to begin with.

But this is different. There's not that much subjectivity to this. It's simply "Who would win between two teams?" And not only are you in the vast minority on this, but people are actually finding the poll ridiculous in the first place. I get your argument that being in a minority on a PSD poll doesn't make you wrong. But this isn't an argument of "Was Kareem better than MJ?" There would be a minority of people who would have that opinion on PSD, and while the vast majority of people would disagree with them, at least they would have some data and evidence to support that claim. There's enough of a case there and enough subjectivity to make that case.

There's not really much subjectivity here, and you have zero evidence to support your minority opinion beyond "I just think that." The Cavs were a superior team. They won more games. They had better players. They had far more postseason experience, and they proved it by performing better against the Warriors than the Jazz did. Hell, in the previous year, the Warriors got beat by the Cavs. And didn't you just get done arguing in the other thread that a team's previous year performance should absolutely be taken into account? If that's the case, and we consider the 2015-16 Cavs as part of the conversation of the 2016-17 Cavs, then how could you come to any other conclusion than that the Cavs last year were superior to the Jazz?

mightybosstone
01-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Edit: You know what. In hindsight, this wasn't worth my time. I'm not going to let this troll get to me, and I'll let the results of the poll speak for itself.

dhopisthename
01-27-2018, 01:30 PM
I know this is a troll thread for lol please, but I think this series would be closer then everyone has said it would be.
I would pick the cavs cause of lebron, but I don't think it would be no sweep.

FlashBolt
01-27-2018, 06:00 PM
I know this is a troll thread for lol please, but I think this series would be closer then everyone has said it would be.
I would pick the cavs cause of lebron, but I don't think it would be no sweep.

Of course it would be difficult. Utah was a very good team. But lol, please is not making an argument so no one wants to take it serious.

Saddletramp
01-28-2018, 04:04 AM
I guess this thread can be closed now, lol

goingfor28
01-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Of course it would be difficult. Utah was a very good team. But lol, please is not making an argument so no one wants to take it serious.Bc he's a ****ing troll. I have no idea why anyone responds to anything he says in the NBA forum. I'm guilty too though.

cmellofan15
01-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Donít close the thread, I would like to hear your take lol, please. Why do you think the Jazz would have beaten the Cavs last year?

kobe4thewinbang
01-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Well, seeing as Gobert and Hayward and Hill all got injured at some point, it's just unrealistic. That, and I don't really see it as an obvious showdown. Jazz were a nice "made the playoffs" surprise, but outside of Hayward and Gobert, they really can't match up against the Cavaliers. It'd be one Finals the Cavaliers would win, though, ha! The talent levels just aren't comparable.

goingfor28
01-28-2018, 08:55 PM
The troll has been permabanned :laugh2: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180129/88b2550d5b351b9c8785d009fec3ec64.jpg

cmellofan15
01-28-2018, 09:07 PM
I guess I will never get an answer....

mightybosstone
01-29-2018, 02:31 PM
For what it's worthy, while I vehemently disagreed with nearly all of lol's takes and I thought he was probably trolling, I hate to see anyone get permanently banned. Especially considering how active he was. I wish the guy no ill will, personally.

WaDe03
01-29-2018, 06:16 PM
I petition for the return of lol, please!

FlashBolt
01-29-2018, 06:59 PM
Well, he didn't get banned for trolling but because of racist remarks. It must have happened many times to where they felt enough was enough. You would have to be a repeated offender to get perm banned over one post.

JordansBulls
02-01-2018, 12:35 AM
Since they would have met in round 1 the Jazz would have a much better shot to win that series before Lebron got going. Pacers series was really close despite the Cavs sweeping. Jazz were much better than the Pacers and actually had a rim protector something none of the other teams the Cavs played had. Jazz did actually beat the Clippers as well without HCA.

FlashBolt
02-01-2018, 03:53 AM
Since they would have met in round 1 the Jazz would have a much better shot to win that series before Lebron got going. Pacers series was really close despite the Cavs sweeping. Jazz were much better than the Pacers and actually had a rim protector something none of the other teams the Cavs played had. Jazz did actually beat the Clippers as well without HCA.

Blake Griffin being injured for four games might've helped the Jazz, no?

WaDe03
02-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Blake Griffin being injured for four games might've helped the Jazz, no?

He will pick literally anyone over LeBron because he's insecure about Jordan vs LeBron, just like Skip Bayless.