PDA

View Full Version : Can the Spurs win 50 games without Leonard?

JasonJohnHorn
01-25-2018, 10:20 PM
The Spurs current winning percentage has them on pace for 52 or 53 games.

Leonard has only played in 9 of those games. Of those, the Spurs lost 4 (they are 5-4 for .555 with Leonard compared to 27-14 for .658 without him).

Obviously this team is far better with Leonard healthy than without him, but they are playing better so far this season without him.

Should Leonard's health issues keep him out the rest of the season, would the Spurs be able to keep their 50-win streak going?

My initial thought is yes, and this is especially impressive given that Parker missed a big part of the season and that Manu, though playing well, is 40.

lol, please
01-26-2018, 12:06 AM
I think they can do it.

Normally a man of strong faith, had you asked me this before the season started I would say no, but I'm now a believer that Pop really can make it happen no matter who is missing. Plus you have a good mix of young guys and vets on that team, and players buy in to that system. I don't think they make it far in the playoffs without Kawhi but I think they finish 3rd in the west in the regular season.

kdspurman
01-26-2018, 07:01 PM
I think they can do it.

Normally a man of strong faith, had you asked me this before the season started I would say no, but I'm now a believer that Pop really can make it happen no matter who is missing. Plus you have a good mix of young guys and vets on that team, and players buy in to that system. I don't think they make it far in the playoffs without Kawhi but I think they finish 3rd in the west in the regular season.

I actually agree with most of this.

Chronz
01-26-2018, 07:28 PM
No

c.c.
01-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Without Leonard they can win 50 games. Without Pop and his coaching staff they canít win 50 games.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Yes

tredigs
01-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Obviously they can and likely will. A half season+ sample isn't a fluke. A 60+ win team with upset ability is now a 50+ win team with little upset ability (assuming sans Kawhi). They're a well oiled machine. They will win almost all the games they are supposed to and sneak a few they shouldn't.

LMA has been night and day also.

Lakers + Giants
01-26-2018, 10:33 PM
Spurs #1 superstar is their coach. on pace for 52-53 games without kawhi all year. GOAT coach. Easily.

FlashBolt
01-27-2018, 12:08 AM
Yes, because the greatest thing about the Spurs is not A player but A system. No system, they have nothing. It's weird how no other team has figured it out but the Spurs. Being able to win with anything is not common.

flea
01-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Yes, because the greatest thing about the Spurs is not A player but A system. No system, they have nothing. It's weird how no other team has figured it out but the Spurs. Being able to win with anything is not common.

Having probably the best PF/C combo in the league is not exactly "winning with anything." That said, Pop obviously is the best in the biz and deserves credit for having his role players do what they're supposed to - which is harder to do in the NBA than it is in college for the NFL since almost all NBA players are primadonnas.

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Having probably the best PF/C combo in the league is not exactly "winning with anything." That said, Pop obviously is the best in the biz and deserves credit for having his role players do what they're supposed to - which is harder to do in the NBA than it is in college for the NFL since almost all NBA players are primadonnas.

If this were 2012, I might be inclined to consider Gasol/LMA the best PF/C combo n the league. Gasol isn't even getting a double-double. Now I think Gasol is grossly underrated, but he's also 37, and LMA isn't a young-gun either. Gasol is only posting 10/6 a game right now. Hardly puts him on elite C category for this season (though per-game stats don't tell the entire story and is he playing at a high level).

You could point to Blake and DaJ and make a clear argument that they are a better combo, and that isn't even bringing DMC/AD into the conversation. I mean, the Pels have had more weapons on the court all season and were struggling to stay over .500 and beat .500 teams.

I think this is a fair point. You cna note that they have 'one of the best' C/PF combos, but the notion that thye probably have the best? I think that's a bit much.

That said, it is an interesting point to consider. Most teams do only have one power house at those two positions. So I think this is a great point to consider.

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2018, 08:54 AM
No

If they've managed to play at that pace for over half the season, I'm curious why you don't think they would continue it throughout the rest of the season? Especially with other teams losing guys to injury, like the Pels and OKC (though I don't think the Roberson injury is as big a deal as some are making it out to be).

Legit curious as you often have some interesting insights.

FlashBolt
01-29-2018, 04:47 AM

I'm talking about winning NBA games. obviously you can't win a title playing with anyone on your team but the fact is, Pop has an outstanding record of getting the best out of everyone involved and that's because the system they run involves everyone actually having a role. Many teams just have guys who stand around trying to play a street ball mentality game but Pop's players genuinely come out with an understanding of basketball DNA.

GoferKing_
01-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Is Pope still the coach?

TrueFan420
01-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Pop is easily the GOAT coach for me and this season just reinforces that

Chronz
01-29-2018, 01:17 PM
If they've managed to play at that pace for over half the season, I'm curious why you don't think they would continue it throughout the rest of the season? Especially with other teams losing guys to injury, like the Pels and OKC (though I don't think the Roberson injury is as big a deal as some are making it out to be).

Legit curious as you often have some interesting insights.

Yeah, I put money on it pre season...