PDA

View Full Version : Dejounte Murray, Tony Parker, and Patty Mills

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Sorry for posting this here, but the Spurs forum is dead.

So... Tony Parker has willing conceded his starting spot to Dejounte Murray.

First, kudos to Parker for putting the team before his pride (something JR Smith certainly seems unwilling to due, despite his pay check).

That said... am I missing something? Dejounte Murray? I haven't seen any Spurs games this to be honest, so I'm legit asking. I saw him a bit last year, but not enough to make any judgements. His per36 stats seemed promising last season (15/5/4 guy shooting killer 3's but turnover prone). I'm not sure what his level of defense is. I've honestly no clue as I've only seen limited play.

This year, his stats are troubling. There is some serious regression. No 3pt shot. He's still turnover prone (though he has a better A/T ratio than last year) and while he is rebounding well for a PG, he's not really making plays or shooting well. Am I missing something here?

Parker isn't shooting the 3-ball well, but he's still scoring efficiently. And he's the better play maker. Has he lost a serious step on defence?

It seems that is Parker isn't going to start, or if the Spurs simply need him coming off the bench to bolster the reserves, that Patty Mills would be the logical choice in the starting line-up. Strong shooter, strong defender, decent play maker (not stellar, but certainly better than DeJounte).

So... I guess this is a two parter. One.... who should the Spurs starting PG be (or rather, why should Dejounte Murray get the job). Two... what are your thoughts in general about vets as the age and their willingness to come off the bench. We see the Spurs with three former All-Stars (Parker, Manu, and Gay) coming off the bench. And around the league, we see guys like Wade willingly taking this step. But we also see guys like JR Smith making an issue out of it. Who has aged gracefully and been able to put their pride aside? Who hasn't? Presently or historically?

beasted86
01-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Parker admits he has hit the wall. He's not his old self and his efficiency is troubling. Offensive rating getting worse each month. Father time is undefeated and I think Pop just wants to try and groom the young guy.

Vince Career is ultimate example of adapting game with age.

IndyRealist
01-24-2018, 10:48 AM
Presumably they are built to play through Kawhi first and Aldridge second. More playmaking and even more shooting is less necessary with the starters, and allows them to beat up on opposing benches. That would explain why Mills isn't starting. So between Parker and Murray, I think they are trying to save Parker's legs for the postseason. They can win with Murray starting, so it's less important to pull out all their guns all the time. Murray gets a trial run, Parker takes it easy and avoids injury, and they keep winning.

They really should have signed George Hill, though.

lol, please
01-24-2018, 01:35 PM
What happened to the spurs forum!? Get more fans on here kdspurman, lol

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

kdspurman
01-24-2018, 01:40 PM
What happened to the spurs forum!? Get more fans on here kdspurman, lol

I tried... It's a lost cause lol

lol, please
01-24-2018, 01:41 PM
I tried... It's a lost cause lolSuch a great dynasty, class act of a team and cool area of Texas, should be more spurs fans than Lakers fans on here lol

kdspurman
01-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Parker is still coming along slowly from his ruptured quad, though considering his age/mileage and that injury, he's looked good overall. Still some obvious rust and rhythm issues, but all things considered, the eye test shows he's got a little something left. And early on, he's looked good in his role off the bench.

Murray has great size,.. 6'5 with a 7 foot wingspan, very good rebounder and above average defender. Where he struggles is the other side, ball/pace control, no jump shot, etc... When Parker came into the league, he couldn't shoot either, but he was damn near automatic in the paint. Murray doesn't have that capability yet, but he has shown some improvements since last year. Being only 21 , he's got another year or 2 to really make that leap. But he has all the physical tools to be something special. If he adapts the Kawhi Leonard work ethic, that could be fun to see.

Mills is having a down year, he's been doing more traditional "PG" stuff, running P&R's, trying to get guys shots, etc... and he's struggled a bit in that role. His shooting has went down, and Pop alluded to that fact that he has some added responsibilities. As long as he can get into a shooting rhythm down the stretch of the season, he should be fine. With the slew of injuries and lineup changes, it's been tough for anyone to get into a consistent rhythm/flow, aside from Aldridge.

After the all-star break, the hope is that everyone is back for the stretch run.

kdspurman
01-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Such a great dynasty, class act of a team and cool area of Texas, should be more spurs fans than Lakers fans on here lol

There used to be like 4 or 5 of us on here a few years ago lol. Most are on SpursTalk, and that place is kind of a hot mess

Idk about having more Lakers fans though.

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2018, 10:29 PM
Parker is still coming along slowly from his ruptured quad, though considering his age/mileage and that injury, he's looked good overall. Still some obvious rust and rhythm issues, but all things considered, the eye test shows he's got a little something left. And early on, he's looked good in his role off the bench.

Murray has great size,.. 6'5 with a 7 foot wingspan, very good rebounder and above average defender. Where he struggles is the other side, ball/pace control, no jump shot, etc... When Parker came into the league, he couldn't shoot either, but he was damn near automatic in the paint. Murray doesn't have that capability yet, but he has shown some improvements since last year. Being only 21 , he's got another year or 2 to really make that leap. But he has all the physical tools to be something special. If he adapts the Kawhi Leonard work ethic, that could be fun to see.

Mills is having a down year, he's been doing more traditional "PG" stuff, running P&R's, trying to get guys shots, etc... and he's struggled a bit in that role. His shooting has went down, and Pop alluded to that fact that he has some added responsibilities. As long as he can get into a shooting rhythm down the stretch of the season, he should be fine. With the slew of injuries and lineup changes, it's been tough for anyone to get into a consistent rhythm/flow, aside from Aldridge.

After the all-star break, the hope is that everyone is back for the stretch run.
Thanks! Great insights!

Bostonjorge
01-24-2018, 11:02 PM
I havenít watched a lot of Spurs this year but watched the Cavs game. Murray was creating for himself and getting his points off the dribble. Anderson looked pretty good to. He was the best option guarding James. He looked like a really good defender actually with his size.

KnicksorBust
01-25-2018, 12:42 PM
All I know is Murray-Anderson-Bertans-Green are 80% of the starting lineup and the Spurs are still the #3 seed in the West. Popovich is the GOAT coach. The Belichick of the NBA.

Chronz
01-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Such a great dynasty, class act of a team and cool area of Texas, should be more spurs fans than Lakers fans on here lol

They have their own forum. Texans don't like to mingle with the rest of us clowns

Chronz
01-25-2018, 01:42 PM
There used to be like 4 or 5 of us on here a few years ago lol. Most are on SpursTalk, and that place is kind of a hot mess

Idk about having more Lakers fans though.
It was awesome back in the day when Laker fans trolled

lol, please
01-25-2018, 03:33 PM

Idk about having more Lakers fans though.Jump over there and bring them back! Lol

lol, please
01-25-2018, 03:35 PM
All I know is Murray-Anderson-Bertans-Green are 80% of the starting lineup and the Spurs are still the #3 seed in the West. Popovich is the GOAT coach. The Belichick of the NBA.Can't speak too much on Murray, Green, or Anderson, but to me, Bertans has ATG type potential and I hope he ends up being a kind of Dirk for the Spurs, not as a #1 option nut just that elite, franchise player big who can carry the load if needed.

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2018, 12:16 AM
All I know is Murray-Anderson-Bertans-Green are 80% of the starting lineup and the Spurs are still the #3 seed in the West. Popovich is the GOAT coach. The Belichick of the NBA.

Right? I mean, you give that to any other coach in the league and .500 isn't possible.

FlashBolt
01-27-2018, 01:39 AM

I saw a video of Dejounte guarding LeBron and did very well. That's a PG guarding someone who has at least 60 lbs on him.. LeBron dapped him up right after. Dejounte has potential to be a really good PG in this league. At the very least, a great defender.

kobe4thewinbang
01-27-2018, 02:43 AM
It's not a surprising move, as nothing is with Popovich. Parker is on the tail end, and Mills is having a season that does not justify that contract just yet! I like Patty, especially the one game this year when he made like seven 3PTers, but not quite what they were hoping for. If Murray is able to help take the load more off Patty who may have been trying too hard with Parker's injury state, so be it! Murray had a sick dunk the other night and he shows promise for the reasons kdspurman stated. I'm still trying to use him more on 2K, lol, but I'm trying...

kdspurman
01-27-2018, 02:38 PM
I saw a video of Dejounte guarding LeBron and did very well. That's a PG guarding someone who has at least 60 lbs on him.. LeBron dapped him up right after. Dejounte has potential to be a really good PG in this league. At the very least, a great defender.

Yea, that wing span is legit and he's very good defensively. He and LeBron share an agent, so LeBron was a bit of a mentor to him during/after the draft. Murray says LeBron is like his big brother, so it was cool to see LeBron give him some props. In that same clip, you can see Pop coaching him from the sidelines too on his defensive stance. He was pretty animated, but it's why he's so great. He's always teaching

lol, please
01-27-2018, 02:40 PM
All I know is Murray-Anderson-Bertans-Green are 80% of the starting lineup and the Spurs are still the #3 seed in the West. Popovich is the GOAT coach. The Belichick of the NBA.Bill isn't the GOAT NFL coach, Walsh is.

flea
01-27-2018, 02:40 PM
I don't see the feel for the game in Murray for him to be a great PG, and he's definitely not a good enough scorer to be a top guard in this era where being a guard is so easy. What he could be is a really nice role player next to Leonard because, all else equal, you want big players at every position.

Then again, PG offense takes the longest to develop in the NBA (along with C's defense) and I haven't watched very much NBA this season so anything's possible.

kdspurman
01-27-2018, 02:50 PM
I don't see the feel for the game in Murray for him to be a great PG, and he's definitely not a good enough scorer to be a top guard in this era where being a guard is so easy. What he could be is a really nice role player next to Leonard because, all else equal, you want big players at every position.

Then again, PG offense takes the longest to develop in the NBA (along with C's defense) and I haven't watched very much NBA this season so anything's possible.

Yea. He's still very raw. TP came in raw, but he was a jump shot away from becoming a really good scorer. Once he got that, it became really tough for defenses to stop him.

Murray is like the opposite, came in with really good size/athleticism/defensive skills. If he can develop that TP floater and/or a consistent jumpshot, he can be a really important piece moving forward

flea
01-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Yea. He's still very raw. TP came in raw, but he was a jump shot away from becoming a really good scorer. Once he got that, it became really tough for defenses to stop him.

Murray is like the opposite, came in with really good size/athleticism/defensive skills. If he can develop that TP floater and/or a consistent jumpshot, he can be a really important piece moving forward

TP also had next-level quickness. That mattered more in the old NBA than it does now but I just don't see any tool that Murray has that separates him from other NBA players like TP did.

KnicksorBust
01-27-2018, 03:18 PM
All I know is Murray-Anderson-Bertans-Green are 80% of the starting lineup and the Spurs are still the #3 seed in the West. Popovich is the GOAT coach. The Belichick of the NBA.Bill isn't the GOAT NFL coach, Walsh is.

Lmao.

Walsh 100 wins. 2 coy. 3 rings
Belichick 280 wins. Almost 3x the wins with a better winning percentage. 3 coy. 5 rings. Gtfo

kdspurman
01-28-2018, 10:17 AM
TP also had next-level quickness. That mattered more in the old NBA than it does now but I just don't see any tool that Murray has that separates him from other NBA players like TP did.

Most definitely. TPs speed was amazing and a huge part of his game being able to get into the paint at will. Murray's his size and wingspan. He has tools to be an elite defender. Offensively he super raw, but Kawhi was supposed to not be able to shoot when he came out of college too. I'm interested to see what kind of work ethic he has and how good he wants to be