PDA

View Full Version : Lillard meets with Blazers owner over future

LaVar Ball
01-23-2018, 01:18 PM
ESPN Sources: Portland star Damian Lillard requested a private meeting with owner Paul Allen to discuss direction of franchise.

Via Chris Haynes Twitter

Htownballa1622
01-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Lillard:" So what up? I'm tired of getting snubbed of ASG and we keep floating amongst bottom 4 teams in playoff picture."

Allen:"Plz stay, Portland loves you. We're going to try and upgrade the team."

Lillard:"Ok."

*Portland gets bounced in 1st round again while not upgrading team.

teddygreen17
01-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Lillard:" So what up? I'm tired of getting snubbed of ASG and we keep floating amongst bottom 4 teams in playoff picture."

Yup.

valade16
01-23-2018, 02:10 PM

It's a fine line trying to upgrade the team with moves vs not making bad moves and looking like you're not upgrading the team.

Remember last offseason they did attempt to upgrade the team by re-signing C.J. McCollum, Maurice Harkless and Meyers Leonard while signing Evan Turner and Festus Ezeli. They also traded for Nurkic.

Obviously those moves didn't drastically upgrade the team, and in fact the Turner/Leonard/Harkless signings were bad for their cap. So they tried to upgrade the team, it's just difficult to upgrade a bottom level playoff team to a top level one because they don't pick at the top of the draft and they don't have any cap to do so.

If Olshey can continue to make trades like the Nurkic one they'll get better, but asking him to hit on late draft picks or make great trades repeatedly isn't practical. The Blazers are stuck as is unless they make a drastic move or get a lot of luck.

Htownballa1622
01-23-2018, 02:19 PM
It's a fine line trying to upgrade the team with moves vs not making bad moves and looking like you're not upgrading the team.

Remember last offseason they did attempt to upgrade the team by re-signing C.J. McCollum, Maurice Harkless and Meyers Leonard while signing Evan Turner and Festus Ezeli. They also traded for Nurkic.

Obviously those moves didn't drastically upgrade the team, and in fact the Turner/Leonard/Harkless signings were bad for their cap. So they tried to upgrade the team, it's just difficult to upgrade a bottom level playoff team to a top level one because they don't pick at the top of the draft and they don't have any cap to do so.

If Olshey can continue to make trades like the Nurkic one they'll get better, but asking him to hit on late draft picks or make great trades repeatedly isn't practical. The Blazers are stuck as is unless they make a drastic move or get a lot of luck.

I 1000% agree with u. I'm speaking more of what will happen this summer because lack of cap.

It's not for not trying. Blazers have done a solid job imo. They never tanked, got a star, but taking that next step is the hardest part after getting the star. Getting the star is step one.

Trust me I know. We were middling 9 seed 3 years in a row b4 we hit the lotto in aquring James.

Idk where Portland goes from here but I'd assume it'll be around deciding between lillard and McCollum. Turners contract is just so bad right now that it limits what yall can do.

valade16
01-23-2018, 02:33 PM
I 1000% agree with u. I'm speaking more of what will happen this summer because lack of cap.

It's not for not trying. Blazers have done a solid job imo. They never tanked, got a star, but taking that next step is the hardest part after getting the star. Getting the star is step one.

Trust me I know. We were middling 9 seed 3 years in a row b4 we hit the lotto in aquring James.

Idk where Portland goes from here but I'd assume it'll be around deciding between lillard and McCollum. Turners contract is just so bad right now that it limits what yall can do.

They not only got a star, they actually got a secondary star-ish player in McCollum. They got Lillard and McCollum with the 6th and 10th picks in the draft. It was fairly lucky for them to get both those caliber of players with those picks.

The problem is, having two all-star level players and a solid supporting cast isn't going to cut it in an era where 4-5 teams have just stacked rosters.

Another thing that hurt them obviously was LMA leaving. Any mid level team that has that caliber of player leave is going to suffer, and we have. We had LMA, Lillard and McCollum. That would be a pretty good trio right now.

mrblisterdundee
01-24-2018, 11:31 AM
They need to split up Lillard and McCollum, and to get a reasonably talented player with decent defense between 6'6" and 6'8" they literally don't have one.
The Butler trade to Minnesota was upsetting. McCollum would have been a better offer for Chicago, and Butler is the perfect back court pairing with Lillard.
George would be perfect, but I don't trust him enough to make a trade.

WaDe03
01-24-2018, 11:36 AM
They need to split up Lillard and McCollum, and to get a reasonably talented player with decent defense between 6'6" and 6'8" they literally don't have one.
The Butler trade to Minnesota was upsetting. McCollum would have been a better offer for Chicago, and Butler is the perfect back court pairing with Lillard.
George would be perfect, but I don't trust him enough to make a trade.

I think the Wolves trade was much better than getting CJ.

mrblisterdundee
01-24-2018, 11:39 AM
I think the Wolves trade was much better than getting CJ.

I'm pretty sure McCollum was more valuable than Zach LaVine and Kris Dunn at the time the trade was made. I would have also given up Zach Collins.

WaDe03
01-24-2018, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure McCollum was more valuable than Zach LaVine and Kris Dunn at the time the trade was made. I would have also given up Zach Collins.

Maybe at the time but not now when you factor in the pick they got too. The Bulls were very high on Dunn though and it doesn't make sense to trade for CJ when the whole point of trading Jimmy was to start a rebuild.

Twolves88
01-24-2018, 12:51 PM
How about a McCollum for wiggins swap? As a timberwolves fan this seems reasonable for both teams. Wiggins can develop and be the man next to Damien maybe the wolves could find a way to take on a "bad" contract.

WestCoastSportz
01-24-2018, 01:41 PM
The problem with the Blazers is that Lillard is a 1-on-1 player and so is McCollum. Both dominate the hell out of the ball and both are guards which means the ball isn't going to move. Its no coincidence that the Blazers are dead last in the league in assists per game with 19 as a team. On the other side of the spectrum, the Warriors have a league leading 30.7 assists per game. In order for them to succeed, they have to move McCollum or Lillard and hope one or the other can really take on a point guard roll because right now, they're both undersized shooting guards. I would move McCollum.

KG2TB
01-24-2018, 06:09 PM
Lauri Markannen was the main coupe from the wolves/bulls trade. Kris Dunn is improving and LaVine has all world potential. Minnys offer trumps a Portland offer.

Im a fan of McCollum too.

FlashBolt
01-24-2018, 06:14 PM
How about a McCollum for wiggins swap? As a timberwolves fan this seems reasonable for both teams. Wiggins can develop and be the man next to Damien maybe the wolves could find a way to take on a "bad" contract.

What makes CJ better than Wiggins is he can shoot the ball. Wiggins lack of floor spacing in the three while being primarily a volume scorer is incredibly overrated.