PDA

View Full Version : Best Player of All-Time List (#8)

valade16
01-22-2018, 03:53 PM
So we do a "Top 25 greatest players of all-time list" routinely here on PSD, but I want to do an all-time list of best, not greatest.

What is the difference?

This is not a list that measures a players accolades or career, it is a list of simply, if all the players were at their peak/in their prime/at their best (however you describe it) and all in a draft, who would you take first to play against each other in a draft?

Who are the best players throughout NBA history. You can use stats or accolades to back up your opinion, but this is about who is best, not who made the most All-NBA teams, or who scored the most points, etc. If you think player A is better than player B despite them having a shorter career, vote for player A.

If you wish to vote for someone else, please vote for other and post who you voted for in the comments. If you wish to nominate someone (or multiple people) for the next poll, post in the comments and I will add them if there are at least 2 nominations for that player.

In the event of a tie vote, they will both be listed at that number and the next player will begin where that is left off (for instance, T-6th, T-6th, 8th)

Current List

1. Michael Jordan
2. LeBron James
T3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
T3. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. Magic Johnson
7. Larry Bird

valade16
01-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Since Larry Bird has a substantial lead in the last poll and it ends shortly and I won't have access to a computer until tomorrow, in the interest of keeping this moving I have posted the poll for #8.

Also, if there is anyone who is not an option to vote for you wish to nominate, please post!

GREATNESS ONE
01-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Kobe.

LOb0
01-22-2018, 04:26 PM
I know it's early but can we get Barkley on this list? He's better then some of the guys on here.

Shammyguy3
01-22-2018, 04:49 PM
I know it's early but can we get Barkley on this list? He's better then some of the guys on here.

Barkley was a monster, but I don't think there's anyone on this list he is clear and away better than. Maybe Walton, but Walton was a monster on both ends of the floor so it's close.

WaDe03
01-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Going with Wade going forward.

ball4reel
01-22-2018, 06:07 PM
The Dream for me

Redrum187
01-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Duncan is the greatest PF, he has a better career than Hakeem... what pains me to say is that Hakeem had the better peak though.

KnicksorBust
01-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Duncan is the greatest PF, he has a better career than Hakeem... what pains me to say is that Hakeem had the better peak though.

I disagree but I hope more people embrace the idea of the thread like you are.

Duncan career >
But....
Hakeem peak>

So Dream wins. It is alllll about peak. Cant wait to see how high great players with 1 year supernovas like Walton and Tmac can jump.

KnicksorBust
01-23-2018, 12:39 PM
I went with Steph Curry. 50-45-90 while scoring 30ppg. You couldn't guard him and the way you had to defend him to even limit him just opened up the floor and made life easier for everyone else on his team.

WaDe03
01-23-2018, 01:02 PM
I don't understand Curry over some of these guys but I look at the full picture and he wasn't able to lead his team to a ring in impressive fashion in his prime as the top option. Wade has the full package from numbers, 2 way play, and top 2 finals performance ever for a championship. Year 1 Curry lost finals MVP to Iggy(should never happen), year 2 he lost while having a 3-1 lead with a terrible choke job down the stretch of game 7 on his home floor, year 3 he took a back seat to KD.

LOb0
01-23-2018, 01:10 PM
I don't understand Curry over some of these guys but I look at the full picture and he wasn't able to lead his team to a ring in impressive fashion in his prime as the top option. Wade has the full package from numbers, 2 way play, and top 2 finals performance ever for a championship. Year 1 Curry lost finals MVP to Iggy(should never happen), year 2 he lost while having a 3-1 lead with a terrible choke job down the stretch of game 7 on his home floor, year 3 he took a back seat to KD.

Completely agree. Curry is way overblown here.

mngopher35
01-23-2018, 01:13 PM
Ya we would have to ignore the post season is the only way I see curry this high

valade16
01-23-2018, 06:41 PM
I disagree but I hope more people embrace the idea of the thread like you are.

Duncan career >
But....
Hakeem peak>

So Dream wins. It is alllll about peak. Cant wait to see how high great players with 1 year supernovas like Walton and Tmac can jump.

I'm equally as interested in CP3.

KnicksorBust
01-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Completely agree. Curry is way overblown here.

The idea that we are making a list of best players at their peak and you guys are crying that he doesn't have a Finals MVP is comical. You just knocked off how many top 50 players with that ridiculous standard?

In 2015-2016 he was unguardable and my favorite new basketball term of the last few years is "gravity." The way he impacted EVERYTHING that the other team did defensively screams MJ/Shaq level impact.

Ahriman
01-24-2018, 12:44 PM
I chose Duncan. The guy was a one-man show in the 2003 playoffs. He averaged 24.7 - 15.3 - 5.3 to go along with 3.3 blocks during these 24 games.

He destroyed the NJN during the finals with 24.2 - 17.0 - 5.3 AND 5.3 blocks.

The guy was statistically limited by Pop system during the regular season, but he went supernova during the playoffs

mightybosstone
01-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Change my pick to Hakeem. I realize that I said I wanted Curry in the last thread, but the second I made the selection, I immediately regretted it and something inside me died a little.

I realize this is a total homer move and makes me seem totally hypocritical, but I don't care, and I'm going to throw out stats completely here for a second. Yes, Curry's peak numbers are more dominant than Hakeem's. But look at their postseason production, and their advanced numbers are nearly the same. Factoring in Hakeem's massive impact on the defensive end, it's really no comparison. In 94, he averaged a ridiculous 29/11/4/4/2 on the way to a Finals run. And in 95, he posted a 33/10/5/3/1 in the playoffs.

If I'm building a team to win a 7-game playoff series today, I'd rather have peak Dream than peak Curry. Hakeem just had that gene in big games that guys like Jordan and Lebron have where he stepped up in big games against the best competition. He destroyed Ewing in the Finals in 94. He completely crushed Robinson in the playoffs in 95. And that same year, he went toe to toe with a much younger, peak Shaquille O'Neal.

If ultimately this list is supposed to be about, "Who do you want at their best?" then Hakeem's best for me is better than Curry's best. Steph had a great postseason last year, but he wasn't even the best player on his own team, which was insanely stacked. Hakeem willed his team to victory against teams that were more talented and he didn't have half the talent around him that Curry has had in his career.

KnicksorBust
01-24-2018, 12:50 PM
I chose Duncan. The guy was a one-man show in the 2003 playoffs. He averaged 24.7 - 15.3 - 5.3 to go along with 3.3 blocks during these 24 games.

He destroyed the NJN during the finals with 24.2 - 17.0 - 5.3 AND 5.3 blocks.

The guy was statistically limited by Pop system during the regular season, but he went supernova during the playoffs

Bingo. This is my next pick after Curry wins.

WaDe03
01-24-2018, 12:53 PM
The idea that we are making a list of best players at their peak and you guys are crying that he doesn't have a Finals MVP is comical. You just knocked off how many top 50 players with that ridiculous standard?

In 2015-2016 he was unguardable and my favorite new basketball term of the last few years is "gravity." The way he impacted EVERYTHING that the other team did defensively screams MJ/Shaq level impact.

He ended that season with one off the biggest choke jobs ever, not that impressive to me.

valade16
01-24-2018, 01:05 PM
For me it's between Hakeem, Duncan and Curry and right now I'm leaning Curry but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. Do I really think Curry was simply a better player than Hakeem or Duncan? Tough

FlashBolt
01-24-2018, 03:30 PM
For me it's between Hakeem, Duncan and Curry and right now I'm leaning Curry but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. Do I really think Curry was simply a better player than Hakeem or Duncan? Tough

Woah, when you phrase it like that, I have to lean towards Hakeem... And this is where we, as fans, fall in love with the current league and in this case, Curry's insane shooting while ignoring his obvious flaws that are hidden due to the Warriors being such a great team overall. I mean, does anyone here truly think Curry would provide more to a team than Hakeem and Tim can? Maybe offensively but take out Draymond and Klay. What are we really looking at here? All things being equal, who would take Curry over Hakeem and Tim? Initially, I would have taken Curry because of the Warriors success but further thought just makes me wonder how much Hakeem+Tim would dominate with that same Warriors team. Hakeem kicking it out to shooters? Tim with Draymond manning the paint? The possibilities would be endless with either Hakeem or Tim on the Warriors team instead of Curry. And then you consider that Curry disappears in the playoffs momentarily, when was that the case with Hakeem or Tim? Imagine if you add KD to a team of Hakeem or Tim + Draymond+Klay and the rest of the Warriors? Oh boy, I can care less about what Curry does.

I do understand Curry's value in contributing to the current Warriors team and maybe they never turn to the team they are currently without him. But if we're speaking factual 100% value and peak, I don't see how Curry contributes more than those two guys. Offensively, sure. But the game isn't won just by knocking down threes - which we saw when Curry had issues making them in the playoffs. There's more to basketball than just shooting a three from halfcourt. And currently, Hakeem or Tim would be my choice. Siding Hakeem here because he was a better offensive player at his peak and most versatile big man, ever.

belikemike23
01-24-2018, 03:41 PM
All of Kobe's last game vs Utah. :D