PDA

View Full Version : The Heat

ewing
01-21-2018, 11:42 AM
I know its frown upon to get the most out of your talent if you aren't going to win a title but the Heat are 8 games over 500 with 8 guys scoring in double figures. I've always thought Spo doesn't get credit for being one of the best in the bus. Do you agree? How do you feel about the Heat? I honestly have seen very little of them but am impressed with the record considering the roaster.

dyst
01-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Its pretty impressive what they are doing. On paper they look terrible to me, but for some reason seem to be performing. East is weak so maybe that is why, but I think Reily probably put a good blend of guys together and coach is getting them to play well.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Just quietly making the most out of what we've got. Not much hype behind this team and they wanna keep it that way. Spo should probably be the leading COY candidate to this point as well.

Scoots
01-21-2018, 01:23 PM
The Heat have some flawed talent and Spo gets the most out of them.

beasted86
01-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Also Whiteside has missed 1/3 of the season.

It would be nice if we could make a splash at the deadline for one more scorer to make us a bit more consistent.

I don't have any playoff expectations but just a 2nd round visit and putting a good scare into the Celtics, Cavs, or Raptors would be nice. If we get another scorer and click down the stretch, nobody wants any part of the HEAT in the playoffs.

An yes, coach Spo continues to get underrated by most.

Heatnation80
01-21-2018, 01:38 PM
I don't know how they are doing it. Wayne Ellington and Josh Richardson are the only two consistent players on that roster, others have missed a good amount of time and yet, they're 4th in east.

Green_Monster
01-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Just quietly making the most out of what we've got. Not much hype behind this team and they wanna keep it that way. Spo should probably be the leading COY candidate to this point as well.

Brad Stevens?

bucketss
01-21-2018, 04:06 PM
their players are in elite shape they never get tired

TylerSL
01-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Statistically they are a marvel because they are not really near the top at any statistical category, but they have a lot of players who pretty good NBA players. When Rodney McGruder gets back, the Heat will be a legitimate 10 deep. The roster is actually really talented, we just lack a superstar at the top and so Miami is hoping that at least one of Josh Richardson, Justise Winslow, Tyler Johnson, or Bam Adebayo will become stars. Of those, Josh Richardson is the most likely. He is the third best player on the team and closing the gap on the two best (Dragic/Whiteside).

A lot of it comes to player development and Erik Spoelstra is one of the best very best at helping players improve. Dion Waiters had the best year of his career when he got to Miami last year, as did James Johnson. Hassan Whiteside became an all star worthy talent under coach Spoelstra. Rodney McGruder, who hasn't played this year, is a tough player who wasn't even drafted. Tyler Johnson went undrafted. Josh Richardson was a second rounder. The team really does seem to be comprised of misfits and outcasts, but they are tough as hell and play harder than most teams. The credit goes to coach Spoelstra for maintaining the culture we had under Riley, but improving and focusing on player development. He has surpassed Riley from that standpoint. He really is a great coach.

TylerSL
01-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Brad Stevens?

The Celtics were the #1 seed in the East last year too. While I believe that shows how great of a coach Stevens is, they usually give the award to surprising teams. Miami being 27-19 is more of a "surprise" than Boston being 34-13.