PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Trade Value of LeBron James rental (remainder of season)?

Giannis94
01-19-2018, 03:25 PM
First off, don't all get your panties in a bunch. This is a clear hypothetical, as I was wondering what the value of a top 2 player in the NBA is for 1/2 a season- and given that the NBA is kind of a 1 team team league, makes it tougher to find teams willing to give up a **** ton of assets and players with potential (say KD was back on the Thunder, then more teams would have incentive to make a trade).

So I'll phrase the situation as:

LeBron goes to the Cavs brass and tells them that he's opting out after the season; and that nothing can be done to salvage things. He then demands a trade and refueses to play another game for the Cavs. He also tells the brass that it doesn't matter to what team he is traded to; he could rsign with them but he is testing the market.

So what would teams offer for half a season of LeBron? Would the Warriors offer Dray, McGaw, and Bell? Rockets? Cavs? Bucks? What would you offer?

Chronz
01-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Like you said, the uniqueness of the warriors combined with the pussification of durant has made it so most teams wouldn't bother putting their eggs in the basket that is the games best player. This is like if mj were on the open market after so many years, but no one wanting to take on magic, bird and a plethora of depth.

I would still risk it but in a 1v1 league where hakeem doesn't get traded, I can't imagine teams lining up for Bron outside of those who would gladly lose in the finals.

Chronz
01-19-2018, 03:30 PM
I seriously hope kd gets bitten by that Kobe venom of actually wanting to prove his greatness. That's literally our only hope imo

tredigs
01-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Thank God the Patriots of America didn't have your defeatist attutude Chronz, we'd still be over here sipping on tea and bowing to the queen.

Jeffy25
01-19-2018, 04:19 PM
There are only a handful of teams that will legit threaten the Warriors, even with the best player on the planet on them.

The Rockets, Celtics, and SAS?

The rest feel short.

And none of those teams, outside of the Celtics, have enough they could offer in a deal to Cleveland, and Kyrie is there lol

Also, it's not happening.

Giannis94
01-19-2018, 04:23 PM
There are only a handful of teams that will legit threaten the Warriors, even with the best player on the planet on them.

The Rockets, Celtics, and SAS?

The rest feel short.

And none of those teams, outside of the Celtics, have enough they could offer in a deal to Cleveland, and Kyrie is there lol

Also, it's not happening.

Read the first two sentences of the original post

lol, please
01-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Thank God the Patriots of America didn't have your defeatist attutude Chronz, we'd still be over here sipping on tea and bowing to the queen.****ing lol'd [emoji23]

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Htownballa1622
01-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Cavs can have Anderson, plus whatever draft picks from the Rockets.

I'd throw in Capela IF it were the only thing we could do.

Hopefully it would mean we could re-sign him in offseason. :)

Chronz
01-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Thank God the Patriots of America didn't have your defeatist attutude Chronz, we'd still be over here sipping on tea and bowing to the queen.
Lol far from it, as a descendent of colonialist AND central Americans, I can assure you kd wouldn't have made a difference in the real world. In a child's game tho, definitely, such is life.

KD would kill himself if he had to stand for something

Chronz
01-19-2018, 04:34 PM
****ing lol'd [emoji23]

I think you meant +1

Chronz
01-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Cavs can have Anderson, plus whatever draft picks from the Rockets.

I'd throw in Capela IF it were the only thing we could do.

Hopefully it would mean we could re-sign him in offseason. :)
Losing Capella means you wasted a year and cp3 gets way old after this

lol, please
01-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Losing Capella means you wasted a year and cp3 gets way old after thisLove how you want Paul to fall off a cliff now that he left the Clippers. LMAO

Chronz
01-19-2018, 04:38 PM
Love how you want Paul to fall off a cliff now that he left the Clippers. LMAO

You really don't know me.

valade16
01-19-2018, 04:40 PM
All the rumors seem to point to LeBron leaving Cleveland this summer. This should actually be something the Cavs should consider, it'd be a bold thing to do but a good way of saying "you're not going to hold us hostage" to LeBron.

Problem is, I don't think anyone would give up much (as crazy as that sounds) since 90% of the teams know he'd never re-sign there and the ones that would, wouldn't want to give up the plethora of assets it would take to get LeBron for a possible half year rental.

The Rockets would be the only team I could see being so bold (with Morey). Not sure if they'd have the cap to make that work.

Htownballa1622
01-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Losing Capella means you wasted a year and cp3 gets way old after this

Meh. Word on street is DJ wants to come "home" anyway so maybe we punt this year but in wcf against Warriors, capela isn't playing more than 25 mins per game anyway.

I think Capela is good but I think he's a product of Harden more than people realize. I won't be surprised to see him leave in offseason.

If you gave me LeBron now instead of Capela, I'll take that in a hearbeat.

valade16
01-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Lol far from it, as a descendent of colonialist AND central Americans, I can assure you kd wouldn't have made a difference in the real world. In a child's game tho, definitely, such is life.

KD would kill himself if he had to stand for something

It's funny because KD's closest revolutionary avatar is Benedict Arnold lol

Chronz
Meh. Word on street is DJ wants to come "home" anyway so maybe we punt this year but in wcf against Warriors, capela isn't playing more than 25 mins per game anyway.

I think Capela is good but I think he's a product of Harden more than people realize. I won't be surprised to see him leave in offseason.

If you gave me LeBron now instead of Capela, I'll take that in a hearbeat.

I'm no longer sure dj is the answer you want over Clint. Even if he were, he wants to be traded there, doubt he takes a pay cut

Jeffy25
Read the first two sentences of the original post

Value is going to vary for every team. Rebuilding teams aren't going to touch it. The value depends on the organization. The Cavs would be the only team that would trade for him, giving up the Brook pick.

Chronz
01-19-2018, 04:44 PM
You're giving him too much credit. There is no precedence for his treachery and cowardice

Htownballa1622
01-19-2018, 04:48 PM
I'm no longer sure dj is the answer you want over Clint. Even if he were, he wants to be traded there, doubt he takes a pay cut

I agree and we don't have the cap space for him this year to absorb his contract.
If he were willing to come "home" it'd be on a discount next season

Give me Bron and and older Nene/Tarik combo at center with PJ Tucker filling in at C for wcf against Warriors and I'm fine with that.

Chronz
01-19-2018, 04:50 PM
This Tucker at center isn't a viable option bro, I don't care if he weighs 280 lbs next year, he's on a decline. You need a prolific difference maker at center. DJ would be good next year butt I'm telling you he ain't giving up money and he definitely doesn't offset the decline we should see from cp3 soon.

Chronz
01-19-2018, 04:55 PM

PS. Pm me if you want to know my thoughts on where history has diverged from reality. I don't think we see eye to eye on **** with regards to how this world functions. Here's a hint, if you're still relying on scholastic indoctrination standards then we are entirely different people

WaDe03
01-19-2018, 05:44 PM
All the rumors seem to point to LeBron leaving Cleveland this summer. This should actually be something the Cavs should consider, it'd be a bold thing to do but a good way of saying "you're not going to hold us hostage" to LeBron.

Problem is, I don't think anyone would give up much (as crazy as that sounds) since 90% of the teams know he'd never re-sign there and the ones that would, wouldn't want to give up the plethora of assets it would take to get LeBron for a possible half year rental.

The Rockets would be the only team I could see being so bold (with Morey). Not sure if they'd have the cap to make that work.

LeBron has a NTC.

valade16
01-19-2018, 05:52 PM
LeBron has a NTC.

In hindsight that is a big ole duh lol. Welp, I guess Bron can hold them hostage lol.

If they think he's going to leave they should just trade KLove, IT, TT, etc. for picks and start their rebuild and tell him if he doesn't waive his NTC then they'll waste this year lol

WaDe03
01-19-2018, 05:54 PM
In hindsight that is a big ole duh lol. Welp, I guess Bron can hold them hostage lol.

If they think he's going to leave they should just trade KLove, IT, TT, etc. for picks and start their rebuild and tell him if he doesn't waive his NTC then they'll waste this year lol

Haha yea I guess they could always do that!

Giannis94
01-19-2018, 05:57 PM
Haha yea I guess they could always do that!

And you don't care at that point. Because Wade would be on another team.

WaDe03
01-19-2018, 06:10 PM
And you don't care at that point. Because Wade would be on another team.

Nah I care, I want the to build something to win, not blow it up. Unless we end up in MKE.

Bledsoe/Brogden
Middleton/Wade
LeBron/Snell
Parker/Telly
BAE/Henson

Giannis94
01-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Nah I care, I want the to build something to win, not blow it up. Unless we end up in MKE.

Bledsoe/Brogden
Middleton/Wade
LeBron/Snell
Parker/Telly
BAE/Henson

Nice thing about BAE is thst he can play all 5 positions at league average level

WaDe03
01-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Nice thing about BAE is thst he can play all 5 positions at league average level

I agree that BAE is league average.

Giannis94
01-19-2018, 06:35 PM
I agree that BAE is league average.
At every position. He's the #1 SF, PG, SG. Probably 3-5 range on the orher positions

SfgiantsJD3
01-19-2018, 06:43 PM
LeBron has a NTC.
The original premise was LeBron demanded a trade.

Giannis94
01-19-2018, 06:47 PM
The original premise was LeBron demanded a trade.

And if lebron demandeda trade you'd be stupid not to at least get some sort of future 1st or something.

WaDe03
01-19-2018, 06:47 PM
At every position. He's the #1 SF, PG, SG. Probably 3-5 range on the orher positions

So he's elite at every position is what you're saying, not average lol.

KnicksorBust
01-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Ben Simmons and Fultz for IT and LeBron.

Sixers contenders overnight and Cavs have a bright future.

mightybosstone
01-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Morey would risk this thinking that he could sign Lebron long-term. I could see him offering up Gordon and either Ariza or Tucker in addition to young assets like Qi or Hartenstein and possibly a protected 1st round pick.

prodigy
01-20-2018, 12:45 PM
to answer the Question of what is Lebron worth for half a season if traded:

Name the best player on the team Lebron would be traded too. Thats a start. For real, cavs would want at least

1. at least 2 young talented players who have already shown excellent ability.
2. Some expiring contracts
3. bunch of draft picks
4. Take JR Smith and or Thompson.

I wouldn't accept anything less then that. This would have to be a massive trade involving multiple teams.

prodigy
01-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Morey would risk this thinking that he could sign Lebron long-term. I could see him offering up Gordon and either Ariza or Tucker in addition to young assets like Qi or Hartenstein and possibly a protected 1st round pick.

huh?? explain why Cleveland accepts this. Better off just trying to figure out something in the off-season or let lebron walk. Qi? lol. I guess we could get Ariza and just let him beat up the opposing teams.

prodigy
01-20-2018, 12:51 PM

:clap::clap::hi5:

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-20-2018, 01:04 PM
If Bucks throw hat in the ring. I'm sure Gilbert would want Middleton and Parker and maybe even Brogdon. But then kinda guts out our starters though. Our bench is the worst in the league before the trade. $22M only of Middleton,Parker,Brogdon combined. LeBron makes $33M. So Cavs would have to eat Delly or Telly probably. Since we would need wing depth of Snell also a center in Henson yet. They be other two big contracts. Probably possibly retiring Telly. He be off Cavs books in the summer then.

Bledsoe,Brown,LeBron,Giannis,Henson Giannis and LeBron have to be scoring 60 combined or more nightly. Our depth would suck though.

mightybosstone
01-20-2018, 01:44 PM
huh?? explain why Cleveland accepts this. Better off just trying to figure out something in the off-season or let lebron walk. Qi? lol. I guess we could get Ariza and just let him beat up the opposing teams.

Because for a half-season rental, two and a half more seasons of Eric Gordon is fantastic value. The dude is a 20/3/3 guy, and he's locked in for two more years at $13.5 million and $14 million the next two seasons, which is incredible in this market. Throw in Ariza's expiring and Bird rights, and the Cavs can still feasibly still contend in the East with the pieces they have in place.

But this isn't the first time this conversation about a Cleveland/Houston deal has come up, and ultimately the whole thing comes down to the direction the Cavs want to go. If Lebron decides he doesn't want to be a Cavalier any more, do the Cavs clean house and go into full rebuilding mode or try to build around what they have to stay competitive in a so-so Eastern Conference? If it's the former, then Eric Gordon makes no sense for them. If it's the later, then Eric Gordon would be a tremendous asset for that.

Scoots
01-20-2018, 03:05 PM

tre, when I read that my brain dropped the "to" and added an "L" as the second letter of "bowing" :)

Chronz
01-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Lol. We're still blowing the queen

BKLYNpigeon
01-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Id trade Klay and Draymond for Lebron.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-20-2018, 06:45 PM
I'll give you Jonas Valanciunas, OG Anunoby and Norman Powell.

lol, please
01-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Pigeon wants to see LeChoke in a Warriors uniform. Thank the Lord he isn't the GM.

prodigy
01-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Because for a half-season rental, two and a half more seasons of Eric Gordon is fantastic value. The dude is a 20/3/3 guy, and he's locked in for two more years at $13.5 million and $14 million the next two seasons, which is incredible in this market. Throw in Ariza's expiring and Bird rights, and the Cavs can still feasibly still contend in the East with the pieces they have in place.

Gordon is pushing 30 years old. has had injury issues his whole career, shooting 41% and 33% from 3 lol. He benfits from having great players around him. no deal.

But this isn't the first time this conversation about a Cleveland/Houston deal has come up, and ultimately the whole thing comes down to the direction the Cavs want to go. If Lebron decides he doesn't want to be a Cavalier any more, do the Cavs clean house and go into full rebuilding mode or try to build around what they have to stay competitive in a so-so Eastern Conference? If it's the former, then Eric Gordon makes no sense for them. If it's the later, then Eric Gordon would be a tremendous asset for that.

Eric Gordon for LeBron makes sense to you? common man at least try to be unbias. Give me Harden and Paul and yall can have JR Smith how bout that?

Cavs will want young proven talent for LeBron.

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2018, 07:57 PM
It would depend entirely on the team.

With the Warriors, I could see giving up pretty much anybody other than CP3 and Harden, and like throwing in three first-round picks with two rotation guys at least (Say Gordon and Ryan Andersen).

If you threw IT in there with Ryan Andersen and Gordon, there's some offense there (and defensive liabilities). But you got three unprotected first rounders, say starting in 21, and goign to 23 and 25. Enough into the future where they have decline.

The Rockets would be confident that they could re-sign James and keep this core together.

Any other team? I don't see much value. The teams that would improve with him wouldn't have him locked in. I mean... he'd fit in great in Philly or Minny, but could they keep him? Likely not.

mightybosstone
01-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Gordon is pushing 30 years old. has had injury issues his whole career, shooting 41% and 33% from 3 lol. He benfits from having great players around him. no deal.

Eric Gordon for LeBron makes sense to you? common man at least try to be unbias. Give me Harden and Paul and yall can have JR Smith how bout that?

Cavs will want young proven talent for LeBron.
Yeahhh... you don't know how trade value works. Harden is locked in long-term and the Rockets have Paul's Bird rights. Half a season of James isn't worth either of those guys. And when you consider Lebron has a no trade clause and could feasibly force his way to a handful of teams, it severely reduces his value in the trade market.

europagnpilgrim
01-21-2018, 08:44 PM
PS. Pm me if you want to know my thoughts on where history has diverged from reality. I don't think we see eye to eye on **** with regards to how this world functions. Here's a hint, if you're still relying on scholastic indoctrination standards then we are entirely different people

You need to hit me up on those thoughts on his story, your hint is on super point

the world functions as planned, FDR words not mine

LOb0
01-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Warriors trade Klay, first rounder and cap fodder for Bron.

Jamiecballer
01-21-2018, 10:09 PM
The Raptors offer Wright, Poeltl, Ibaka, Powell and a 1st.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Jamiecballer
01-21-2018, 10:13 PM
... And then win an NBA championship with

Starters

Lowry
Derozan
Oral G
James
Valanciunas

Bench

Siakam
Miles
Ring chasers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

JordansBulls
01-21-2018, 10:20 PM
Who is the next deck of superstars in there prime that Lebron will join forces with now?

Maybe KAT and Jimmy
or
Kawhi and Aldridge
or
Harden and CP3

mrblisterdundee
01-22-2018, 03:21 AM
If we're doing a hypothetical in which LeBron stops playing to get traded, then his trade value is greatly diminished.
A LeBron-Kyrie reunion seems like the only workable solution to win a championship with only half a season of gelling. Ainge could reach a whole new level of savageness by trading Hayward, Brown and maybe Rozier to the Cavaliers for LeBron.

LaVar Ball
01-22-2018, 11:16 AM
If we're doing a hypothetical in which LeBron stops playing to get traded, then his trade value is greatly diminished.
A LeBron-Kyrie reunion seems like the only workable solution to win a championship with only half a season of gelling. Ainge could reach a whole new level of savageness by trading Hayward, Brown and maybe Rozier to the Cavaliers for LeBron.

Nah

prodigy
01-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Yeahhh... you don't know how trade value works. Harden is locked in long-term and the Rockets have Paul's Bird rights. Half a season of James isn't worth either of those guys. And when you consider Lebron has a no trade clause and could feasibly force his way to a handful of teams, it severely reduces his value in the trade market.

Clearly i know much more then you after that trade u threw out there lol. Id rather Lebron walks then to hand him over to the rockets for crap. I'd rather trade him to the Lakers and try and snag Kuzma.

prodigy
01-24-2018, 01:44 PM

LMAO!! damn that would be sick.

mightybosstone
01-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Clearly i know much more then you after that trade u threw out there lol. Id rather Lebron walks then to hand him over to the rockets for crap. I'd rather trade him to the Lakers and try and snag Kuzma.

Classic homer. Throws out ridiculous trade scenarios and then scoffs at a reasonable deal just because it doesn't net equal value for a player who could be gone in a few months anyway.

Star players NEVER net equal value in trades. And star players with one foot out the door net even less. Star players with one foot out the door and no-trade clauses net complete crap. If you want proof, look at what the Knicks got for Melo, and that was with potentially two more years still left on his contract.

Frankly, this whole thing is a moot point, because there's a 0 percent chance Cleveland deals Lebron at the trade deadline. So literally no trade we've discussed here is going to happen. And in the offseason, in the event of a sign and trade, his value goes down even further, which completely changes the conversation. But if Lebron is possibly on his way out of Cleveland, you probably need to be a little more realistic about what's coming back to replace him in the event of a sign and trade. Otherwise, you're going to be in for a massive letdown.

prodigy
01-25-2018, 12:18 PM
Classic homer. Throws out ridiculous trade scenarios and then scoffs at a reasonable deal just because it doesn't net equal value for a player who could be gone in a few months anyway.

once again, no reason to acquire an injury prone 30 year old whos a 3pt shooter and only shooting 33% from 3. Once again I'd rather not trade him and either try to convince him to stay in off-season or work out a sign and trade, hopefully he helps his home team out and lets us get someone young in return. kuzma and Lebron play same position So thats why i threw that out there.

I never asked for equal value in return. But you better bet ur butt I want young talent in return.

How would i be letdown? i flat out said I'd rather him walk for nothing in the off-season then trade him for crap lol.

KnicksorBust
01-25-2018, 12:21 PM
once again, no reason to acquire an injury prone 30 year old whos a 3pt shooter and only shooting 33% from 3. Once again I'd rather not trade him and either try to convince him to stay in off-season or work out a sign and trade, hopefully he helps his home team out and lets us get someone young in return. kuzma and Lebron play same position So thats why i threw that out there.

I never asked for equal value in return. But you better bet ur butt I want young talent in return.

How would i be letdown? i flat out said I'd rather him walk for nothing in the off-season then trade him for crap lol.

Ben Simmons and Fultz for IT and LeBron

mightybosstone
01-25-2018, 12:25 PM

If you're Cleveland, you absolutely do that. But why does Philly do it unless they can get an assurance from Lebron and IT that they're going to be around a couple of years?

KnicksorBust
01-25-2018, 12:40 PM
If you're Cleveland, you absolutely do that. But why does Philly do it unless they can get an assurance from Lebron and IT that they're going to be around a couple of years?

Fultz could be a total bust and trading Simmons to get the 2nd best player of all-time (who still has 3-4 years left easy) and an all-star PG would be a way to contend THIS SEASON.

mightybosstone
01-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Fultz could be a total bust and trading Simmons to get the 2nd best player of all-time (who still has 3-4 years left easy) and an all-star PG would be a way to contend THIS SEASON.

But if Lebron leaves, you just gave up two of the top prospects from this rookie class for less than half a season of Lebron James, and you'll be left with a disgruntled Embiid and not much else. I just don't think it makes sense for them. Even a two-year guarantee from Lebron isn't that great, because it only gives you a two-year window in which your second best player is Embiid, and we still don't know if the guy is capable of starting 70+ games a season.

Imagine a scenario where they make this deal and next year Embiid has a major injury the first couple of months of the season. That's not a situation you want to be in if you're Philly.

mightybosstone
01-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Also, in thinking about it, why does Philly do that deal when they can keep Simmons and Fultz and still afford to offer Lebron a max deal this summer? If they can lock Lebron in long-term, they could have Simmons, Embiid and Lebron on the same team. Now THAT team has the potential to be scary, especially if they can lock down some shooters on cheap contracts.

lol, please
01-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Fultz could be a total bust and trading Simmons to get the 2nd best player of all-time (who still has 3-4 years left easy) and an all-star PG would be a way to contend THIS SEASON.So, the Sixers would get Curry in this trade?

Or did you just grossly overrate Lebron?

mightybosstone
01-25-2018, 01:20 PM
So, the Sixers would get Curry in this trade?

Or did you just grossly overrate Lebron?

Now you're just trolling. Stop.

LA4life24/8
01-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Also, in thinking about it, why does Philly do that deal when they can keep Simmons and Fultz and still afford to offer Lebron a max deal this summer? If they can lock Lebron in long-term, they could have Simmons, Embiid and Lebron on the same team. Now THAT team has the potential to be scary, especially if they can lock down some shooters on cheap contracts.

Yeah it doesn't make sense from that stand point. You think bron would give em a meeting at least this offseason. Keeps him in the east and he gets to play w a plethora of young talent. Simmons helps w the playmaking and he has a dominant big man in embiid( granted he stays healthy). Could be scary. Get reddick to take a cheap deal. Maybe get korver there some how. Damn.

mightybosstone
01-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Yeah it doesn't make sense from that stand point. You think bron would give em a meeting at least this offseason. Keeps him in the east and he gets to play w a plethora of young talent. Simmons helps w the playmaking and he has a dominant big man in embiid( granted he stays healthy). Could be scary. Get reddick to take a cheap deal. Maybe get korver there some how. Damn.

If I'm Lebron and I'm looking to leave Cleveland, Philly would definitely be in my top 5. It's a pretty solid media market with one superstar, a second budding star and some quality role players on decent contracts. And I wouldn't have to take a pay cut to play there. For me, that's the best destination in the East assuming he wants to leave.

prodigy
01-26-2018, 10:21 AM

If lebrons leaving Cleveland for sure then ok, but Sixers gotta match that money lol. Lebron takes up 33 million bucks by himself.

KingstonHawke
01-26-2018, 12:19 PM
It depends on the situation of the team he'd be going to. I've said for a while I think the Cavs and Warriors should deal. You could make a deal that benefits all parties involved.

Warriors get: James and Wade
Cavs get: Klay, Iggy, McCaw, and Bell

Warriors are basically guaranteed a championship. LeBron gets all the rings he can handle, without having to seem like he abandoned Cleveland again. Wade moves to a better city and wins a couple rings coming off the bench. Cavs get a lot younger, get a potential superstar two way player who can fit with any roster, and would be just as competitive but without all the expectations and pressure that having LeBron on the roster comes with.

KnickNyKnick
01-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Lebron could really go back to Miami and do some damage again.

valade16
01-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Saw on PSD's homepage, Kawhi for Bron. Who would oppose that trade?

kdspurman
01-26-2018, 01:45 PM

I would.. :hide:

lol, please
01-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Now you're just trolling. Stop.No you're right. 2 MVP awards, 2 titles, a slew of 3 point records, and dominating key advanced metrics for over 3 seasons isn't indicative of dominance.

mightybosstone
01-26-2018, 01:48 PM
No you're right. 2 MVP awards, 2 titles, a slew of 3 point records, and dominating key advanced metrics for over 3 seasons isn't indicative of dominance.

I never said that it wasn't. Curry's got a shot to be a top 10-15 all-time guy. But Curry isn't higher in any all-time conversation than Lebron, much less the second greatest player of all-time.

valade16
01-26-2018, 02:00 PM

I was talking with some buddies that, as Blazers fans, it would be the greatest Karma ever if Kawhi wanted out of SA and Portland traded for him lol.

LMA leaves Portland to go to SA and play with Kawhi and then Kawhi leaves LMA in SA and goes to Portland.

Problem is, we have no offer even close to Kawhi's value (McCollum, Zach Collins, future 1st and expiring contracts) short of Paul Allen promising Pop money after he retires lol

mightybosstone
01-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Wow... It's weird how much sense that deal makes. If Kawhi really wants out, than Lebron could immediately step in and be an actual improvement for them. And with veteran guys on their roster, it makes sense for them to be built around a veteran superstar whose sole goal is maximizing titles before retirement. You lose the long-term potential of Kawhi, but that's in question right now with his injuries anyway. Pop would love this, and it would give him a reason to stick around as long as Lebron's on the roster.

For Cleveland, you lose your guy, but get a player with ridiculous potential at the same position in return. You pretty much call this season a wash given Kawhi's injuries, but it sets them up to compete for longer, especially if Lebron was going to bail after this season anyway. This might be a little better for Thomas, too, because it would put the ball back in his hands a little more to make plays and run the offense.

I pray this deal doesn't happen, though. It would be great for the league, but horrible for the Rockets.

So I get why you're against it. I'd probably rather have 10-12 years of Kawhi than 2-3 years of prime Lebron, to. But short-term, this makes a ton of sense.*Unless Kawhi comes back healthy in the next two months close to 100 percent, the Spurs' chances to get past Golden State are bordering on non-existent. Lebron immediately gives them a better chance this year, which is a benefit to all of the older guys sticking around for one more chance at a title.

And despite that long-term potential of Kawhi, the guy is kind of a wild card right now. The injury thing has been kind of weird, and we have no clue if lingering injuries could be an issue for him down the line. And although I think the whole "Kawhi wants out of San Antonio" thing is overblown, there is a possibility that it's true and he's genuinely unhappy. If he can't get healthy and happy, wouldn't you rather have Lebron?

valade16
01-26-2018, 02:16 PM
How good would a Murray/Mills/Parker - Green - Bron - LMA - Pau team be?

mightybosstone
01-26-2018, 02:27 PM

Add to that the many veteran players who would inevitably want to follow Lebron to San Antonio. That team would at least be good as last year's Spurs team. And given how much better Aldridge has been this year, I've got to think they'd be a slight step up.

kdspurman
01-26-2018, 02:34 PM
I was talking with some buddies that, as Blazers fans, it would be the greatest Karma ever if Kawhi wanted out of SA and Portland traded for him lol.

LMA leaves Portland to go to SA and play with Kawhi and then Kawhi leaves LMA in SA and goes to Portland.

Problem is, we have no offer even close to Kawhi's value (McCollum, Zach Collins, future 1st and expiring contracts) short of Paul Allen promising Pop money after he retires lol

Haha.. Yea I could see how that'd be all kinds of sweet for you guys lol.

That would be crazy ironic tho. Portland would be good for him, he'd be kinda protected too from the media madness other teams have to face

kdspurman
01-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Wow... It's weird how much sense that deal makes. If Kawhi really wants out, than Lebron could immediately step in and be an actual improvement for them. And with veteran guys on their roster, it makes sense for them to be built around a veteran superstar whose sole goal is maximizing titles before retirement. You lose the long-term potential of Kawhi, but that's in question right now with his injuries anyway. Pop would love this, and it would give him a reason to stick around as long as Lebron's on the roster.

For Cleveland, you lose your guy, but get a player with ridiculous potential at the same position in return. You pretty much call this season a wash given Kawhi's injuries, but it sets them up to compete for longer, especially if Lebron was going to bail after this season anyway. This might be a little better for Thomas, too, because it would put the ball back in his hands a little more to make plays and run the offense.

I pray this deal doesn't happen, though. It would be great for the league, but horrible for the Rockets.

So I get why you're against it. I'd probably rather have 10-12 years of Kawhi than 2-3 years of prime Lebron, to. But short-term, this makes a ton of sense.*Unless Kawhi comes back healthy in the next two months close to 100 percent, the Spurs' chances to get past Golden State are bordering on non-existent. Lebron immediately gives them a better chance this year, which is a benefit to all of the older guys sticking around for one more chance at a title.

And despite that long-term potential of Kawhi, the guy is kind of a wild card right now. The injury thing has been kind of weird, and we have no clue if lingering injuries could be an issue for him down the line. And although I think the whole "Kawhi wants out of San Antonio" thing is overblown, there is a possibility that it's true and he's genuinely unhappy. If he can't get healthy and happy, wouldn't you rather have Lebron?

As far as I know, this isn't a long term/career threatening injury. There haven't been a lot of details released, but that much has been made clear. I think the reason he's not happy is because he wants to play and is frustrated with how his injury was handled by the initial docs/diagnosis. So the belief is when he gets on the court, all will be well again, and that super max is there for the taking for him.

Now, if I know he wants out and will leave when he gets the chance? And if I know this is an injury that will be problematic for him moving forward? Absolutely, make that trade. And hope maybe Pop can add on a few extra years for Lebron's career.

FlashBolt
01-26-2018, 03:19 PM

Not as good, tbh. Kawhi fits that team perfectly and we haven't seen LeBron not pound the ball on teams he has been in. It would take time for them to transition but Pop would somehow still figure it out better than any other coach. I just think Kawhi's defense and willingness to play it puts him above LeBron as a player for the SPURS. But them two together? Oh boy. Kawhi would clamp KD, LeBron would vastly outplay Draymond because there isn't anything Draymond does that LeBron can't, stick LaMarcus at Center, start Danny Green and Dejounte Murray. I can see the Spurs beating the Warriors and being the favorites to do so.

SfgiantsJD3
01-26-2018, 04:00 PM

Maybe Pop goes with Kawhi so LeBron can got to SAS with Lue and work with a coach he can manipulate

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-28-2018, 02:25 PM

tp13baby
01-28-2018, 02:32 PM

Interesting you being up that analogy. If the Patriots had the attitude of Durant they would of stayed in Europe because European countries were the power house and the uncertainty of the new land was extremely high