PDA

View Full Version : The Cavs don't......practice?!?!?! Is practice overrated?

Giannis94
01-17-2018, 12:22 PM
I feel like this is definitley threadworthy. I have never heard of a team not practicing. So I apologize to VeeRex, but WTF? Does anyone know of any other teams that don't pracitce? And is this on Lue, James, or Management?

I personally feel like stems from "LeCoach"

So given the Cavs are talented AF, how much does practicing do you think can improve a team? Or conversely negatively effect performance?

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1468540

Isaiah Thomas is clearly not himself.

Thomas averaged 28.9 points per game last season while leading the Boston Celtics to the Eastern Conference finals. However, after taking more than six months to recover from a hip injury, the 29-year-old is visibly still a step slow.

Through five games with the Cleveland Cavaliers, he's averaging 13.6 points on 36.1 percent shooting from the field. And while he had a few promising performances, Thomas has been uneven at best as he tries to play his way back into form.

Only, the veteran-laden Cavaliers, who boast the oldest roster in the league, practice less than any other team in the league, which leaves him with little opportunity aside from game action to catch his stride.

"(Playing games) is the only thing that's gonna help me because we don't practice. Only thing that's going to help me is getting reps," Thomas told reporters after Monday's loss to the Golden State Warriors.

"Running up and down the floor, getting my hip, getting my body accustomed to getting a beating and to run up and down the floor and getting into basketball shape. That's the only thing that's going to help me."

Thomas played a season-high 32 minutes Monday and scored 19 points. That was a welcome bounce-back effort from the four points he put up in a 34-point blowout at the hands of the Toronto Raptors, in which he shot 2-of-15, drawing front iron on most of his jumpers.

"Like I keep saying, I gotta get my legs back. Especially when I get winded, my legs get even heavier. I just gotta keep pushing and keep working and it'll come back," Thomas said.

tredigs
01-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Midseason practices are few and far between in the NBA, but the Cavs take it to the extreme (and this isn't a new development, I don't think they've practiced mid season for years). Not the philosophy I'd probably go with when trying to integrate a high volume player mid season, but that's what they're going with.

KnicksorBust
01-17-2018, 12:37 PM
No. Practice never makes you worse. But overplaying is exhausting so that's why teams just do shootarounds and off days.

Giannis94
01-17-2018, 12:39 PM
No. Practice never makes you worse. But overplaying is exhausting so that's why teams just do shootarounds and off days.

I can see how that works. But if you just do like shootarounds with nothing else; you can't develop "game" timing and other things that can't be accomplished in practice, no?

aman_13
01-17-2018, 12:57 PM
I'm sure they work in offensive and defensive schemes whenever they can.

WaDe03
01-17-2018, 01:06 PM
So we're really going to sit here and talk about practice and not the game?

WaDe03
01-17-2018, 01:07 PM
They obviously need practice though. Lue is a ****boy and Jkidd is better.

lol, please
01-17-2018, 01:57 PM
So we're really going to sit here and talk about practice and not the game?Iverson is that you?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Vee-Rex
01-17-2018, 04:57 PM
They need to practice defensive rotations and defense in transition. It doesn't even have to be intense, up and down the floor, all-out practices.

How many times did we see two people close out on the same player in transition vs. GS Monday? They just need to communicate and understand each other's tendencies better.

It's a complete joke that they can be in this amount of disarray and still refrain from practicing.

kingsdelez24
01-17-2018, 05:24 PM
I find it ridiculous that the team that openly complains the most about their own offensive and defensive deficiencies puts in the least amount of work trying to correct them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Scoots
01-17-2018, 06:55 PM
The Warriors very seldom practice. I think the Cavs issue on defense is they don't have anyone on the floor to run the defense from the backline. LeBron doesn't call it out in advance, neither does Love, neither does Thompson. Who is calling out the defensive adjustments and the switches? Wade does it up top occasionally and LeBron does too ... but they just don't have a defensive leader on the floor most of the time.

tredigs
01-17-2018, 07:10 PM
They need to practice defensive rotations and defense in transition. It doesn't even have to be intense, up and down the floor, all-out practices.

How many times did we see two people close out on the same player in transition vs. GS Monday? They just need to communicate and understand each other's tendencies better.

It's a complete joke that they can be in this amount of disarray and still refrain from practicing.

The fact that the leaders of both the starting and backup unit are the main culprits of this does not help. LeBron actually has the audacity to yell at his teammates about it mid game also. You can feel the "**** you, you never get back either" vibe in return. Bron teams always have a weird contentious vibe about them though.

Giannis94
01-17-2018, 08:10 PM
The fact that the leaders of both the starting and backup unit are the main culprits of this does not help. LeBron actually has the audacity to yell at his teammates about it mid game also. You can feel the "**** you, you never get back either" vibe in return. Bron teams always have a weird contentious vibe about them though.

Because lebron is a *****. And will never be anything more.

mike_noodles
01-17-2018, 09:00 PM
We talking about practice?

C-ross12
01-17-2018, 09:12 PM
Not sure why everyone is so shocked. You can certainly tell they haven't been practicing much lately.

LA_Raiders
01-18-2018, 12:11 AM
Lol, practice only makes you better. I don't know if LeCoach or GM James is behind this.

smith&wesson
01-18-2018, 12:22 AM
Practice ? We talking bout practice?

Quinnsanity
01-18-2018, 11:45 AM

That's the common theory anyway, but the big outlier is Miami with their exhaustive three-hour full speed practices, and they've seemed to have great success that way. It makes me wonder if there isn't something to the idea of keeping an 11/12 man rotation in the regular season and practicing their butts off.

nastynice
01-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Lol, practice only makes you better. I don't know if LeCoach or GM James is behind this.

I don't know who's behind it, but I'm sure Kyrie is happy as hell he's not dealing with all the LeDrama in cleveland. The past few days, everything on tv about the cavs is the same old story, how everyone on lebron's team sucks, lol

nicnac
01-18-2018, 10:56 PM
My question is..... "is LeBron the coach " this seems so obvious that LeBron is running this team and he has his own way to practice. It would not look right for the team to practice without him.

LU has been in the NBA long enough and with veterans to know that being tired is an excuse.
Players take more days off than ever before

aman_13
01-18-2018, 11:08 PM
I'd like to see Curry and Durant on separate teams. This could be really fun but I still think the game will end up being boring. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Vee-Rex
01-19-2018, 01:07 PM
I'd like to see Curry and Durant on separate teams. This could be really fun but I still think the game will end up being boring. Hopefully I'm wrong.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3mOOyzwfWlD5KLqAohl-gV68hppEmfukVu2siPaa6hBt6fAmXCA

Chronz
01-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Yeah, its always boring watching kd + steph tbh. What a puss

LaVar Ball
01-20-2018, 08:20 PM

Will you be saying all of this when Bron is a Laker this summer?

Giannis94
01-20-2018, 10:40 PM
Will you be saying all of this when Bron is a Laker this summer?

Why the **** would lebron want to play with your son and yourself making a mockery of the organization?

ewing
01-21-2018, 11:48 AM
It got to hard to be around that prima donna all year. Players need a break

aman_13
01-21-2018, 06:00 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3mOOyzwfWlD5KLqAohl-gV68hppEmfukVu2siPaa6hBt6fAmXCA

:laugh:

I was wondering where this post went. I thought it was a PSD error something.

LaVar Ball
01-22-2018, 02:12 AM

These 2017-18 Cavs remind me of the 2010-11 Lakers. Both teams had been to 3 straight finals (Lakers were 2-1, Cavs were 1-2).

Kobe had his bone on bone issue on his knee and didn't practice much with the team, we finally had Bynum healthy that season and he was given a bigger role at the detriment of Pau, Fisher and Artest a year older, Kobe just wasn't Kobe physically, Lamar had his best year and won 6th man. But we had an overhaul of our bench of losing Mbenga, Powell, Morrison, Farmar and Sasha and replacing with several new bench players like Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, Joe Smith, Theo Ratliff and 2 rookies in Ebanks and Caracter. We just weren't the same team physically or mentally, and Kobe not practicing with the team hurt us.

Same can be said with LeBron horrible defensively, too many player transactions, especially the big one of losing Kyrie and getting an injured Isaiah and Crowder. Wade is old and washed up, JR is meh, Tristan Thompson has been injury prone and a huge disappoitment altogether.

The 2011 Lakers got swept in the second round by the eventual champ Mavs. I suspect these 2018 Cavs will have an early playoff exit either in the 2nd round against Toronto or conference finals against Boston.

Too much toll taken place on their bodies and mentally with 3 straight finals (7 straight for Bron).

WaDe03
01-22-2018, 11:32 AM
These 2017-18 Cavs remind me of the 2010-11 Lakers. Both teams had been to 3 straight finals (Lakers were 2-1, Cavs were 1-2).

Kobe had his bone on bone issue on his knee and didn't practice much with the team, we finally had Bynum healthy that season and he was given a bigger role at the detriment of Pau, Fisher and Artest a year older, Kobe just wasn't Kobe physically, Lamar had his best year and won 6th man. But we had an overhaul of our bench of losing Mbenga, Powell, Morrison, Farmar and Sasha and replacing with several new bench players like Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, Joe Smith, Theo Ratliff and 2 rookies in Ebanks and Caracter. We just weren't the same team physically or mentally, and Kobe not practicing with the team hurt us.

Same can be said with LeBron horrible defensively, too many player transactions, especially the big one of losing Kyrie and getting an injured Isaiah and Crowder. Wade is old and washed up, JR is meh, Tristan Thompson has been injury prone and a huge disappoitment altogether.

The 2011 Lakers got swept in the second round by the eventual champ Mavs. I suspect these 2018 Cavs will have an early playoff exit either in the 2nd round against Toronto or conference finals against Boston.

Too much toll taken place on their bodies and mentally with 3 straight finals (7 straight for Bron).

Wade isn't washed up.

C-Dub
01-22-2018, 03:05 PM
'Its practice man'

KB24PG16
01-22-2018, 11:03 PM

somebody lying

GiantsSwaGG
01-22-2018, 11:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUMaMf1W4AE76PM?format=jpg&name=medium