PDA

View Full Version : Lillard has words with Chris Paul over last hoop (NBA Unwritten Rule?)

KnicksorBust
01-11-2018, 02:16 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22041953/damian-lillard-calls-chris-paul-garbage-layup

119-112 Rockets were leading the Blazers with about 20 seconds left. If you were watching on television you could tell the Blazers had conceded once the ball got over half-court. They were going to let Ariza hold the ball. Chris Paul sprinted the floor and was fed an easy layup.

Lillard approached CP3 in the closing seconds and even took a swipe at the ball in frustration.

Is there end of game etiquette? Did he violate it? Thoughts on these situations in general?

WaDe03
01-11-2018, 02:21 PM
2 of my top 5 favorite players arguing? :( I **** with Lillard though I bet he's the silent type that will **** you up!

JAZZNC
01-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Chris Paul is a ****ing douche so it doesnít surprise me for him to pull some crap like this.

Htownballa1622
01-11-2018, 02:26 PM
There is a certain unwritten thing players do if the shot clock is turned off but with 20.3 to inbound, McCollum was all over CP3 so I feel he took exception to it and went ahead and scored once he crossed half court.

Suck it up kitty cats.

Spread was -7.5 lol.

CP3 wanted to make sure we covered. :p

Heediot
01-11-2018, 02:30 PM
just do a state farm commercial together and everything should be gravy.

KnicksorBust
01-11-2018, 02:36 PM
2 of my top 5 favorite players arguing? :( I **** with Lillard though I bet he's the silent type that will **** you up!

Surprised he slapped for the ball in the last seconds. That's how you knew he was pissed.

KnicksorBust
01-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Chris Paul is a ****ing douche so it doesnít surprise me for him to pull some crap like this.

Why is it crap? They are allowed to double him in the back court but then he can't score?

KnicksorBust
01-11-2018, 02:38 PM
There is a certain unwritten thing players do if the shot clock is turned off but with 20.3 to inbound, McCollum was all over CP3 so I feel he took exception to it and went ahead and scored once he crossed half court.

Suck it up kitty cats.

Spread was -7.5 lol.

CP3 wanted to make sure we covered. :p

In this specific situation, I agree it's a no brainer. CP3 did the right thing. 7 points is hardly a lock and 20 seconds is an eternity in basketball. At the start of the play CP3 was still in win mode and you can't expect him to magically flip the switch once the ball gets over half-court. He played it exactly the right way.

KnicksorBust
01-11-2018, 02:38 PM
For the record, I'm one of those guys that thinks it's okay to do that when you are up 30.

valade16
01-11-2018, 02:51 PM
I have no problem with what either of them did. CP3 is perfectly within his rights to keep trying to score as long as the game is still going.

As team leader, Lillard did the right thing by standing up for his team and their honor.

KnicksorBust
01-11-2018, 02:59 PM
I have no problem with what either of them did. CP3 is perfectly within his rights to keep trying to score as long as the game is still going.

As team leader, Lillard did the right thing by standing up for his team and their honor.

Probably the right answer. I would rather Lillard instead of using his words turned his defense back on and tried to rip the ball out of his hands.

KnicksorBust
01-11-2018, 03:00 PM
The game wasn't out of reach. Granted, Portland weren't really defending but we've seen crazier things happen. CP3 just wanted to secure the win. I don't see an issue with either player but CP3 has a high BBIQ and wouldn't have gone for that bucket unless he felt it was necessary.

What about if there was a 20 point lead?

FlashBolt
01-11-2018, 03:02 PM
The game wasn't out of reach. Granted, Portland weren't really defending but we've seen crazier things happen. CP3 just wanted to secure the win. I don't see an issue with either player but CP3 has a high BBIQ and wouldn't have gone for that bucket unless he felt it was necessary.

Lakers + Giants
01-11-2018, 03:16 PM
You play til the buzzer sounds. That being said, being backdoored sucks. As a gambler, nothing is more annoying :laugh2:

mngopher35
01-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Generally speaking I prefer the hold the ball and let time expire method when applicable and defense has conceded.

This to me is slightly different situation given it looks like Portland was pressing. You don't just just stop playing halfway through a possession because the other team slows down and Portland were the ones initially looking to make something happen it seems to me.

GREATNESS ONE
01-11-2018, 04:05 PM
They should let the throw on gloves and box it out. Lol now that I would pay to see.

mightybosstone
01-11-2018, 04:13 PM
So, I watched the whole fourth quarter, and I saw the final play, and I kind of think this is being taken out of context. The game had realistically been out of reach for probably 30+ seconds of game time, but the Blazers were still playing hard like they were trying to come back. They trapped Houston the previous possession, then ran the ball up in transition to get a layup despite there being less than 24 seconds left on the shot clock. It looked like they were going to trap the Rockets again in the half court, but Paul ran down the court to break the defense and happened to get the ball across the half-court with a wide open path for two points.

I get why Lillard was peeved, but I don't knock Paul for taking the shot considering some of Lillard's teammates were actually playing tight defense on the possession (not something he does much of anyway). If you're going to keep pushing and fighting to make a game of it and defend the in-bounds play when you're down seven points with 20 seconds left, then you should expect the opposing team to take the points there.

Redrum187
01-11-2018, 06:23 PM
It's bard form, but not a big deal in my opinion. They should know how competitive CP3 is and not assume he'd just hold the ball. If this was Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, or Kawhi Leonard, it's fairly safe to assume they would just hold the ball... CP3 not as confident.

Scoots
01-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Some people try in the waning seconds of a conceded win (CP3 usually does), some don't. It's a little bit of an annoying move but no big deal

nastynice
01-12-2018, 02:01 AM
I don't see what he did wrong. As mentioned already, the game had a "conceded" feel like 4 seconds before he scored, can't blame him if he didn't entirely pick up on that in the middle of a play

More-Than-Most
01-12-2018, 02:41 AM
For the record, I'm one of those guys that thinks it's okay to do that when you are up 30.

this. play until the clock hits 0.

belikemike23
01-12-2018, 05:09 AM
who cares

Saddletramp
01-12-2018, 07:21 AM
big whoop

KnicksorBust
01-12-2018, 08:38 AM
It's bard form, but not a big deal in my opinion. They should know how competitive CP3 is and not assume he'd just hold the ball. If this was Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, or Kawhi Leonard, it's fairly safe to assume they would just hold the ball... CP3 not as confident.

Wow. What an interesting take. CP3's insecurities led him to taking the shot when a more confident player would have just held the ball.

KnicksorBust
01-12-2018, 08:38 AM
who cares

Lillard. Didn't you watch the video? :)

KnicksorBust
01-12-2018, 08:40 AM
I don't see what he did wrong. As mentioned already, the game had a "conceded" feel like 4 seconds before he scored, can't blame him if he didn't entirely pick up on that in the middle of a play

In the larger picture, how would you have felt if the Rockets were up 20 at the time?

nastynice
01-12-2018, 12:03 PM
In the larger picture, how would you have felt if the Rockets were up 20 at the time?

If the Rox were up 20 I'd assume they'd a gave up earlier, meaning by that point cp3 shoulda known they conceded, which would made the whole thing diff

Chronz
01-12-2018, 01:04 PM
For the past 5 or so years he was a clip. I thoroughly enjoyed watching cp3 take the game more seriously than everyone else

KnicksorBust
01-12-2018, 01:13 PM

If the Rox were up 20 I'd assume they'd a gave up earlier, meaning by that point cp3 shoulda known they conceded, which would made the whole thing diff

How? Then it is wrong? That is the whole point of the OP. I know. I wrote it. :)

mngopher35
01-12-2018, 01:24 PM
I think if the other team is still playing you keep playing tbh. If the score were more outta reach and they are still pressing you then go ahead and break it and its basically up to you (I would like to say I just hold the ball once getting past the defense but who knows in the moment what might happen when under pressure, I see room for leeway even if I prefer one method). Preach holding the ball when up 20 but don't lay into a kid if they mess up like this under pressure unless it is clear they are gloating etc. (thinking as a coach).

If it were a 20 point game and people were clearly not trying to press or get the stop that's pretty much the only time I think it becomes really questionable about a guy. I think you need both score and the other team to concede basically before you "have to" just hold the ball and let time expire without trying to score.

nastynice
01-12-2018, 02:12 PM
How? Then it is wrong? That is the whole point of the OP. I know. I wrote it. :)

Yea but my point is that he didnít seem to do it for the sake of running up the score, he seemed to do it cuz Portland was still applying pressure and playing the game, it doesnít make sense to stop playing if the other team is still going, especially in a 3 possession game

KnicksorBust
01-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Yea but my point is that he didnít seem to do it for the sake of running up the score, he seemed to do it cuz Portland was still applying pressure and playing the game, it doesnít make sense to stop playing if the other team is still going, especially in a 3 possession game

I get that. I agree. I posted this earlier in the thread.

In this specific situation, I agree it's a no brainer. CP3 did the right thing. 7 points is hardly a lock and 20 seconds is an eternity in basketball. At the start of the play CP3 was still in win mode and you can't expect him to magically flip the switch once the ball gets over half-court. He played it exactly the right way.

I was simply using this Chris Paul example going to get a dialogue going about whether or not there is an etiquette rule and if you feel like there should be. That was the point of the thread. When, if ever, is it wrong to score a basket?

nastynice
01-12-2018, 03:26 PM
I get that. I agree. I posted this earlier in the thread.

I was simply using this Chris Paul example going to get a dialogue going about whether or not there is an etiquette rule and if you feel like there should be. That was the point of the thread. When, if ever, is it wrong to score a basket?

I see what youíre saying. I think once the other team visually gives up its bad etiquette to try and score.

In the paul example I think he was unaware that its give up time, but had it been more obvious then Iíd think heís wrong

kobe4thewinbang
01-13-2018, 03:38 AM
LOL, Lillard would've gone nuts then if he was with the Warriors. Lou Williams destroyed the Warriors on the road and spoiled Durant's 20,000pt youth night, and then for the cherry on top, dropped a 50 foot 3PTer from across the bay, lol.