PDA

View Full Version : Injured teams that you wish were healthy?

WaDe03
01-10-2018, 12:33 PM
I've been looking back at the GOATs career and there were a few teams that were stopped by injury and have me wondering what could've been. There are 3 that stick out the most to me so I'll list them in order.

1. 2006-07 Heat. Coming off a championship and 50 or so games into the season it looks like Wade is running away with the MVP when he destroys his shoulder on future teammate Shane Battier. The Heat slump while he is out and he rushes back when he shouldn't have for the playoffs and they lose to the Bulls.

Significance: possibility of a Finals appearance, MVP, Finals MVP, and championship.

2. 2004-05 Heat. Up 3-2 in the ECF Wade injures his ribs and isn't the same after. The Pistons come back to beat the Heat in 7.

Significance: possibility of a Finals appearance, championship, and Finals MVP.

3. 2015-16 Heat. Heat push the Raptors to 7 in the 2nd round but in the end Wade couldn't do it alone. Bosh clots and Whitesides injury did them in to the point where Winslow was playing C. I believe that team was a dark horse in the East at full strength and would've been LeBrons toughest challenge in the East in a long time. They also matched up with the Warriors very well.

Dragic/JRich
Wade/TJ
Iso Joe/Winslow
Bosh/Deng
Whiteside/Bosh

That team was very well balanced and Wade was in his bag for the playoffs. I really wish we could've seen that team at full strength.

Significance: Wades last rodeo as top dog, possibility of a finals appearance, championship, and Finals MVP.

Do you have any teams you can think of that you wish were healthy?

I will add some teams other than Wade teams a little later, last years Spurs are definitely one of them.

WaDe03
01-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Last years Spurs :(

Same haha! They looked so good game 1!

kdspurman
01-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Last years Spurs :(

LeonFSU
01-10-2018, 02:07 PM
I've been looking back at the GOATs career and there were a few teams that were stopped by injury and have me wondering what could've been. There are 3 that stick out the most to me so I'll list them in order.

1. 2006-07 Heat. Coming off a championship and 50 or so games into the season it looks like Wade is running away with the MVP when he destroys his shoulder on future teammate Shane Battier. The Heat slump while he is out and he rushes back when he shouldn't have for the playoffs and they lose to the Bulls.

Significance: possibility of a Finals appearance, MVP, Finals MVP, and championship.

2. 2004-05 Heat. Up 3-2 in the ECF Wade injures his ribs and isn't the same after. The Pistons come back to beat the Heat in 7.

Significance: possibility of a Finals appearance, championship, and Finals MVP.

3. 2015-16 Heat. Heat push the Raptors to 7 in the 2nd round but in the end Wade couldn't do it alone. Bosh clots and Whitesides injury did them in to the point where Winslow was playing C. I believe that team was a dark horse in the East at full strength and would've been LeBrons toughest challenge in the East in a long time. They also matched up with the Warriors very well.

Dragic/JRich
Wade/TJ
Iso Joe/Winslow
Bosh/Deng
Whiteside/Bosh

That team was very well balanced and Wade was in his bag for the playoffs. I really wish we could've seen that team at full strength.

Significance: Wades last rodeo as top dog, possibility of a finals appearance, championship, and Finals MVP.

Do you have any teams you can think of that you wish were healthy?

I will add some teams other than Wade teams a little later, last years Spurs are definitely one of them.

You can add Shaq's thigh injury to the list for the 2004-2005 Heat. He basically couldn't move (had zero lateral quickness) during the playoffs, but still played well against Detroit and finally started looking unstoppable toward the end of that series around the time Wade got injured.

WaDe03
01-10-2018, 02:12 PM
You can add Shaq's thigh injury to the list for the 2004-2005 Heat. He basically couldn't move (had zero lateral quickness) during the playoffs, but still played well against Detroit and finally started looking unstoppable toward the end of that series around the time Wade got injured.

Yea forgot about that, Shaq was looking very good despite injury!

WaDe03
01-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Couple recent teams that come to mind:

2014-15 Cavs
Just about every year of the CP3 Clippers
Last years Spurs
2013-14 Thunder when Westbrook was hurt
2014-15 Thunder when KD was hurt

WaDe03
01-10-2018, 02:32 PM
The Roy-Oden-Aldridge Blazers would have been awesome if the former two could have remained healthy.

Yea forgot about them, Roy is one of my favorite players ever.

mrblisterdundee
01-10-2018, 02:34 PM
The Roy-Oden-Aldridge Blazers would have been awesome if the former two could have remained healthy.

LeonFSU
01-10-2018, 02:38 PM
The 2008-2009 Magic team that went to the Finals. Jameer Nelson tore his labrum midway through the year, and although Rafer Alston played pretty well in his place, he wasn't a good shooter, especially in the Finals.

I don't know if it would have changed the outcome against the Lakers, but having Jameer healthy should have made the series closer. Jameer coming back in the Finals when he was clearly not healthy didn't help matters (but Rafer was playing pretty bad at that point).

Scoots
01-10-2018, 03:08 PM
All of them. Ever.

Cal827
01-11-2018, 01:05 AM

This. I forgot the video, but I remember it showing that when all 3 of them were healthy and playing at the same time, Portland had around a .700 winning percentage, and that's with Oden and Aldridge being young and still developing.

They probably win titles if they're all healthy.

Bostonjorge
01-11-2018, 01:41 AM
2007 Wades Heat got destroyed by a way below average playoff Bulls team with zero All Stars. Wades Heat got embarrassed 4 strait games. That same Bulls team got destroyed 3 strait games in the next round.

Wades Heat would go on to never win a playoff series in the east of all places ever again. Zero. Not until the Big 3 Heat was formed.

WaDe03
01-11-2018, 10:25 AM
2007 Wades Heat got destroyed by a way below average playoff Bulls team with zero All Stars. Wades Heat got embarrassed 4 strait games. That same Bulls team got destroyed 3 strait games in the next round.

Wades Heat would go on to never win a playoff series in the east of all places ever again. Zero. Not until the Big 3 Heat was formed.

What does this have to do with the thread? You realize in 2007 he had multiple injuries that were supposed to be season ending but he came back for the playoffs when he shouldn't have. 07-08 was injured again, 08-09 was MVP of the redeem team, should've been MVP of the league, put up a stat line no one has ever put up before, only guard other than Jordan to finish top 3 in MVP and DPOY voting, 1 man team pushed the stacked Hawks to 7, 09-10 was a 1 man show again where he went off against the Celtics. He didn't have any business winning a round after 2007 with his injuries first and then his terrible supporting cast. The next time he was top dog was 2015-16 where he pushed the Raptors to 7 in the 2nd round even without Bosh and Whiteside.

prodigy
01-11-2018, 01:42 PM

saw Oden the other day he's working for the Buckeyes now. Shame about his career. I honestly believe he could've been a dominate center in this leave.

Vinylman
01-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Lakers 03-04

Of course billy knight is almost equally responsible for the lakers losing by gifting Rasheed to the Pistons...

c.c.
01-11-2018, 04:40 PM
2009 Houston Rockets

Forever35
01-11-2018, 04:53 PM
17'/18' Celtics... :shrug:

Gordon :injury: Hayward...

valade16
01-11-2018, 05:07 PM
The 1978 Blazers. They had won the title in 1977 and Walton was the 1978 MVP but got hurt and they limped out of the playoffs in the 1st round. If Walton would have stayed healthy, there's a strong possibility they win the title two years in a row and potentially become a dynasty.

Not really injury, but I would have liked to have seen what the 2005 Indiana Pacers were capable of had the Malice at the Palace not happened. They won 61 games in 2004 and lost to the Pistons in the ECF and brought that same team back. In the 7 games Ron Artest played that season, the Pacers went 6-1.

Bramaca
01-11-2018, 06:37 PM
Not really an injury thing but to expand on the Blazers theme going on It would have been great to see what that team could have done in the late 80’s and early 90’s if they managed to bring 2 of their 86’ picks over earlier. Porter/Kersey/Drexler/Buck/Sabonis/Petrovic/Robinson. That would have been an amazing team to watch

Green_Monster
01-11-2018, 07:00 PM
The 2008-2009 Magic team that went to the Finals. Jameer Nelson tore his labrum midway through the year, and although Rafer Alston played pretty well in his place, he wasn't a good shooter, especially in the Finals.

I don't know if it would have changed the outcome against the Lakers, but having Jameer healthy should have made the series closer. Jameer coming back in the Finals when he was clearly not healthy didn't help matters (but Rafer was playing pretty bad at that point).

Celtics didn’t have KG when they lost in 7 to the 2008-2009 Magic in the semifinals. Since this is an injury “what if” thread, the Magic don’t get to the finals if the Celtics are healthy.

Vee-Rex
01-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Celtics didn’t have KG when they lost in 7 to the 2008-2009 Magic in the semifinals. Since this is an injury “what if” thread, the Magic don’t get to the finals if the Celtics are healthy.

I think the C's win the championship in 2009 if KG didn't get hurt. As soon as he landed awkwardly I just knew it was really bad.

Forever35
01-11-2018, 07:45 PM

I think the C's win the championship in 2009 if KG didn't get hurt. As soon as he landed awkwardly I just knew it was really bad.

I'd bet it all the C's win the trophy in 08'/09' if KG didn't get injured...

WaDe03
01-11-2018, 07:54 PM

How much you got? I'll find a time machine and we'll go back and prevent the injury if you're serious.

Cal827
01-12-2018, 12:44 AM

Agreed.... if it weren't for the injury, we would likely have seen a trilogy before the Warriors-Cavs this century

archdevil84
01-12-2018, 01:15 AM
How much you got? I'll find a time machine and we'll go back and prevent the injury if you're serious.

can you also tell lebron not to screw up the 2010-11 finals then? might aswell grant him a free ring if were going back in time

mrblisterdundee
01-12-2018, 02:04 AM
2009 Houston Rockets

Probably the unluckiest season for injuries by any NBA team ever — then to top it off, Artest signs with the Lakers.
It would have been fun seeing a healthy McGrady and Ming going head to head with Kobe and Gasol, along with Artest and Battier hounding Kobe. Plus those Rockets would have destroyed the Nuggets and Magic.

c.c.
01-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Probably the unluckiest season for injuries by any NBA team ever — then to top it off, Artest signs with the Lakers.
It would have been fun seeing a healthy McGrady and Ming going head to head with Kobe and Gasol, along with Artest and Battier hounding Kobe. Plus those Rockets would have destroyed the Nuggets and Magic.

We took the Lakers to 7 games without Yao and T-Mac. That alone created all the what if’s for me!

Lol it still hurts

mightybosstone
01-12-2018, 09:37 AM
We took the Lakers to 7 games without Yao and T-Mac. That alone created all the what if’s for me!

Lol it still hurts

That had also been Morey's first year with the team, so Yao and Tracy finally had a quality supporting cast. Those two with Artest, young Scola, Battier, Brooks and Landry could have done some serious damage if they had a few seasons together.