PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question, would the raps bench sneak into the playoffs in the east?

Legitimate
01-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Ok so the raps got the 2nd best bench in the league right behind golden state. Given starter minutes without there starting line up would they make the playoffs in the east? for the 7th 8th spot?

Ok so here you go

Delon wright/vanvleet
norman powel/vanvleet
cj miles/bruno cabolco
poeltle/bebe
pascal siakim/

Obviously with potential and more minutes they would put up a lot better numbers than they would if they started opposed to coming off the bench. Does this team sneak into the playoffs in the east given how weak it is? IMO cj miles would drop more 3 bombs, offense would be run through poeltle and delon/powel. pascal would be the defensive/rebounding anchor. IMO pascal would avg like 15-11 while shooting around 50 percent if he got starter mins with powel avg around 23 ppg while shooting around 40 percent lol. bebe off the bench solid for this line up. IMO i think we would steal one of the last playoff spots with this line up, what you guys think? this is nba thread worthy talking about the 2nd best bench in the league. solid mix of defense, shooting and passing enough to sneak in.

WaDe03
01-03-2018, 10:48 AM
No they wouldn't.

TrueFan420
01-03-2018, 10:52 AM
No

Vinylman
01-03-2018, 10:52 AM
serious question...

will raps fans be on the suicide watch list after the second round of the playoffs this year

ballallday
01-03-2018, 11:12 AM
serious question...

will raps fans be on the suicide watch list after the second round of the playoffs this year

Rapts fan here, short answer yes...

Long answer is that if we finish first and cavs and boston are 2nd/3rd we are in decent shape... Otherwise if we end up with the cavs second round then we are going into the playoffs knowing its a likely out. If boston some how takes down the cavs (entirely possible) we have a more reasonable shot at beating boston and making it to the finals.

Either way we are a contender and are definitely not an easy out. The user "legitimate" is a bit of a homer, need to chill a little.

mightybosstone
01-03-2018, 11:27 AM
No. In all honesty, I haven't heard of half of these guys. Granted, I haven't watched any Raptors games this season, but I think it's unlikely that a starting five with Wright, Powell, Miles and a bunch of guys I've never heard of would be better than legitimate playoff teams that have All-Star caliber players in their starting fives. For that matter, I don't think that squad would be better than the cellar dweller teams in the East. Chicago, Atlanta and Orlando are all way more talented on paper than the squad OP posted.

Scoots
01-03-2018, 11:38 AM
They could, but they would just squeek in with one of the other eastern teams needing to really fall apart. All but Delon could easily start on some other teams now and Wright has potential.

Lisound15
01-03-2018, 11:39 AM
No. In all honesty, I haven't heard of half of these guys. Granted, I haven't watched any Raptors games this season, but I think it's unlikely that a starting five with Wright, Powell, Miles and a bunch of guys I've never heard of would be better than legitimate playoff teams that have All-Star caliber players in their starting fives. For that matter, I don't think that squad would be better than the cellar dweller teams in the East. Chicago, Atlanta and Orlando are all way more talented on paper than the squad OP posted.

What is the point of commenting if you "haven't heard of half of these guys."?

Sorry but how could you possibly make an informed decision if you haven't watched them play?

They have one of the best defensive bench's in the NBA. Their backup big men gives opposing teams fits, it's not crazy to think that they would compete with some of the trash teams in the east.

mightybosstone
01-03-2018, 12:30 PM
What is the point of commenting if you "haven't heard of half of these guys."?

Sorry but how could you possibly make an informed decision if you haven't watched them play?

They have one of the best defensive bench's in the NBA. Their backup big men gives opposing teams fits, it's not crazy to think that they would compete with some of the trash teams in the east.

Because I've watched enough NBA basketball and follow it enough that if these guys were exceptional NBA players, I would have heard of them by now. And I can pull up their numbers and pretty quickly see that they're fine role players, but that's what they are: role players. A squad of role players is not going to surpass teams like Indiana, Miami or Milwaukee, who all have at least one All-Star caliber guy in their starting five and have numerous quality scorers and playmakers.

Nobody on that roster is capable of suddenly consistently scoring 20 points a night. And I don't care how good you are defensively, but if you don't have a go-to scorer or playmaker, you're not winning many basketball games. Plus, I haven't heard of a lot of those guys because they're babies in terms of NBA experience. Why would I trust a team of role players, rookies and second year guys to win 40+ games of NBA basketball?

Legitimate
01-04-2018, 02:07 AM
lol that raptors squad i posted would have a breakout season, there's a reason why there one of the top benches in the league with a solid combination of chemistry and defense, a lot of the bottom dwellers in the east would just crumble witnessing first hand greatness, lol.

Saddletramp
01-04-2018, 04:27 AM
Not a very legitimate thread.

IndyRealist
01-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Bench players beat up on other bench players. Projecting them against starters is not a good idea.

Heediot
01-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Once the Bench becomes the starters? Where's your Bench. Bruno is a d league/euro lifer. Bebe is solid but that's like a 6 man team.

Vinylman
01-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Rapts fan here, short answer yes...

Long answer is that if we finish first and cavs and boston are 2nd/3rd we are in decent shape... Otherwise if we end up with the cavs second round then we are going into the playoffs knowing its a likely out. If boston some how takes down the cavs (entirely possible) we have a more reasonable shot at beating boston and making it to the finals.

Either way we are a contender and are definitely not an easy out. The user "legitimate" is a bit of a homer, need to chill a little.

only worthwhile Raps fan post in here

the rest will definitely be on the suicide watch list...

I am looking at you OP and Lisound15

Scoots
01-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Not a very legitimate thread.

I see what you did there.

Sly Guy
01-05-2018, 12:15 PM

you'd be surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our fans thought our bench could beat our starters. They are THAT good. Van Fleet looks like he's trying to mold himself into Lowry 2.0 (although I will argue he'll never reach that level, based on his improvement in the last 2 seasons I wouldn't say it's impossible either). It's insane and incredibly satisfying to watch him grow as a player and steal moves from his teammate to add to his own bag of tricks. He attacks fearlessly, defends like a pitbull being seriously undersized even at PG. Can shoot. Delon Wright is an absolute steal of a player. Long, athletic, with an intense motor. Really good 2-way player for a PG. I see him as a really good defensive PG in the mold of former raptor Alvin Williams. Bebe, Siakim, and Poetl have all challenged JV for minutes at some point in the last 2 seasons, and each are better defensive options. Problem with those frontcourt guys is there's nowhere near enough minutes to play them all, and they are all deserving. Powell has been disappointing but he's been streaky ever since he got here. He's got a motor too, but right now he doesn't have the coach's confidence.

But it's more than the players. It's the chemistry they have on-court too. Casey's rotations have been pretty wholesale for a couple of seasons, with some clear distinctions between bench time and starters' time. As a result, they spend more time on the court together than most other benches, and it shows. They move the ball, last season it was almost embarrassing how much more the offense flowed with them on the court over the starters. Without a clear-cut go-to guy on the floor the ball whips around making them harder to defend in the halfcourt. That lack of primary option would hurt them come playoff time when defenses tighten. but it's good enough for the regular season.

Then you look at the performance of the bench overall, and I can honestly say if we're down 10 points when the bench comes in, I'm almost expecting it to be tied when the starters check back in. Casey is rewarding them with confidence, and you're now starting to see their time extended into the first few minutes of the opponent's starters coming in, and they are definitely holding their own there too.

And I'd go so far as to say this, the Raptors are not a threat to win it all this year, we don't have the firepower. That being said, I do REALLY like this team. After the management decided to ride out the Lowry/Derozan era this offseason, I was expecting us to be a treadmill team, and we are. I was expecting a dip afterwards, but the looks of this bench has me equally excited for the next few seasons despite Lowry/DeRozan's inevitable declines.

EDIT : And it's ok if you don't know who our guys are. In 3 seasons, you might.

Sly Guy
01-11-2018, 11:05 PM
I'd like to bump this thread during the raps-cavs game and re-ask this question.