PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Draft is looking even more amazing looking back after 30+ games

Scoots
12-22-2017, 04:55 PM
http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=PIE&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*10&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerExperience=Rookie

Simmons is probably going to win ROY though I don't think he should be allowed to.

Fultz is incomplete and Ball has a confidence issue, but both could still live up to their draft location.

Look at the impact of so many rookies from this draft and how late picks are having significant impact on good NBA teams. I don't think I've ever seen a draft where so many players lived up to or exceeded expectations so quickly.

Mitchell, Kuzma, Bell, Adebayo, John Collins, Anunoby ... all are legit in the running as steal of the draft.

tredigs
12-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Didn't even mention Mitchell, who has been the story of this draft along with Simmons.

FlashBolt
12-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Markannen is looking like Porzingis's rookie season. Gotta watch out for him as well.

Giannis94
12-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Fake News. I thought simmons was part of the 2016 draft. Pretty sure he was. but what do i know?
(alot more than you think, doe)

WaDe03
12-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Fake News. I thought simmons was part of the 2016 draft. Pretty sure he was. but what do i know?
(alot more than you think, doe)

Banned!

WaDe03
12-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Donovan Mitchell will be the best player from this draft.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-22-2017, 06:31 PM
DJ Wilson wasn't on my Bucks list. I'm trying to remember the 3 or 4 guys I wanted. BAM, Jackson, Allen for sure. Wish my Bucks took Kuzma. Last three first round picks of Vaughn, Maker, Wilson been meh. Well Vaughn is decent but Kidd barely plays him. Also front office didn't pick up Vaughn's option. So he's probably a throw in on any trade now. Bucks did wanna move up for Mitchell or Monk though. Had no takers.

HeartOfStarks
12-22-2017, 07:11 PM
Donovan Mitchell will be the best player from this draft.

I like Mitchell a lot, and absolutely think he'll be a damn good player in this league, but I'm almost certain he won't be the best of this draft when all is said and done. He's 2 years older than these other guys, playing the exact same role he did in college, and the Jazz are 15-18. Not a knock on him cause he's been beastly and if Simmons wasn't here Mitchell would likely be my ROY right now.

That said yeah I don't think he'll end up the best player from this draft. Tatum honestly has wowed me every time I've seen him play and he's 19.

Overall though top to bottom this draft is absolutely living up to the hype at this early stage.

Heediot
12-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Tatum is the opposite of Wiggins. Plays the game with skill and feel. Wiggins is just an athlete, low motor, and he lacks a court awareness/feel.

Tatum going to be the best. Mitchell going to be a stud too. Fultz might do something but the jury is still out.

Scoots
12-22-2017, 07:40 PM
I like Mitchell a lot, and absolutely think he'll be a damn good player in this league, but I'm almost certain he won't be the best of this draft when all is said and done. He's 2 years older than these other guys, playing the exact same role he did in college, and the Jazz are 15-18. Not a knock on him cause he's been beastly and if Simmons wasn't here Mitchell would likely be my ROY right now.

That said yeah I don't think he'll end up the best player from this draft. Tatum honestly has wowed me every time I've seen him play and he's 19.

Overall though top to bottom this draft is absolutely living up to the hype at this early stage.

Yeah, you look at someone who has 2 more years of development and their game is going to be more mature ... but Mitchell has that ego and that confidence and that skill already ... that stuff takes a long time to learn. It's too early to predict who will be best, but I'm not going to rule Mitchell out. Heck, Fultz could still be the best player from this class and so could about 15 other guys :)

Scoots
12-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Tatum is the opposite of Wiggins. Plays the game with skill and feel. Wiggins is just an athlete, low motor, and he lacks a court awareness/feel.

Tatum going to be the best. Mitchell going to be a stud too. Fultz might do something but the jury is still out.

Wiggins really bugs me. I hate players who have incredible gifts and squander them.

FlashBolt
12-22-2017, 07:42 PM
The case against many of these players and it being a legitimate inflated impact is that some of these guys are coming into a situation where there isn't much and so, they are given full expectance to having the ball. With the amount of superteams going around, there are those teams that have none and are putting all their marbles onto their young picks and selections. I'm pretty sure some of these guys aren't any better than the picks we've seen before but because of opportunity, they are growing at a quicker pace than the rest. It's either build a superteam or go through picks and that's what most teams are trying to do at this point.

HeartOfStarks
12-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Yeah, you look at someone who has 2 more years of development and their game is going to be more mature ... but Mitchell has that ego and that confidence and that skill already ... that stuff takes a long time to learn. It's too early to predict who will be best, but I'm not going to rule Mitchell out. Heck, Fultz could still be the best player from this class and so could about 15 other guys :)

100%. Early indications are it's an impressive class, too hard to predict at this point, was just pointing out the age disparity cause at month 2 of their rookie seasons I do think it matters. Again though I'm with you, I like Mitchell a lot. Can't believe Denver traded him for Lyles honestly.

DanG
12-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Simmons is going to be ROY and he deserves it.

But out of this draft, I think you have about 3-4 potential all-stars here. Maybe even more.

aman_13
12-22-2017, 08:15 PM
OG Anunoby has been great for the Raptors. He's been the perfect compliment for the starting 5. He plays good defense ( gets the rookie treatment at times) and knocks down open threes.

Scoots
12-22-2017, 08:53 PM
The case against many of these players and it being a legitimate inflated impact is that some of these guys are coming into a situation where there isn't much and so, they are given full expectance to having the ball. With the amount of superteams going around, there are those teams that have none and are putting all their marbles onto their young picks and selections. I'm pretty sure some of these guys aren't any better than the picks we've seen before but because of opportunity, they are growing at a quicker pace than the rest. It's either build a superteam or go through picks and that's what most teams are trying to do at this point.

And I suppose rookies on good teams that are showing well are doing it because they have quality players around them to set them up and to hit shots to increase assist numbers and to set the tone on offense and defense.

You are right though, it will take time to come to any conclusions.

tp13baby
12-22-2017, 09:21 PM
100%. Early indications are it's an impressive class, too hard to predict at this point, was just pointing out the age disparity cause at month 2 of their rookie seasons I do think it matters. Again though I'm with you, I like Mitchell a lot. Can't believe Denver traded him for Lyles honestly.

Lyles is 22 and right now averaging 14 points and 6 rebounds off the bench when he gets 15 minutes. He has been nothing short of great.

Denver was never going to play the kid. He also benefits playing on a team with no threats offensively. He should win ROY. He wonít though

Scoots
12-23-2017, 12:00 AM
Lyles is 22 and right now averaging 14 points and 6 rebounds off the bench when he gets 15 minutes. He has been nothing short of great.

Denver was never going to play the kid. He also benefits playing on a team with no threats offensively. He should win ROY. He wonít though

I think you are lowering your standards if "great" applies to Lyles ... if he's "great" what is LeBron?

FlashBolt
12-23-2017, 12:02 AM
I think you are lowering your standards if "great" applies to Lyles ... if he's "great" what is LeBron?

super super duper great?

lakers squad
12-23-2017, 11:33 AM
I've got to give a shout out to Kuz for Early Roy watch, the kids averaging 17.7 pts 6.9 rebs and 1.6. Ast....he's having a awesome start to his Rookie season!!!👌

R. Johnson#3
12-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Yeah this draft has been phenomenal. I wouldn't even say that Simmons has the ROY locked anymore because Kuz seems to be getting better as the season goes on. So many other quality players too. John Collins, Donovan Mitchell, DSJ, Jayson Tatum to name a few.

On another note, OG has been an absolute steal for the Raps. IIRC if he wouldn't have gotten hurt then he was considered a lottery pick? He's not putting up the numbers right now because he shares the floor with the starting 5 but he has all the tools. He fills our desperate need at SF. Kid is gonna be good.

Giannis94
12-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Simmons is a sophomore. Kuz or mitchell should win it.

BoSox47
12-23-2017, 01:20 PM
I've got to give a shout out to Kuz for Early Roy watch, the kids averaging 17.7 pts 6.9 rebs and 1.6. Ast....he's having a awesome start to his Rookie season!!!👌

Kuz is having an outstanding year, right now hes probably 4th in ROY voting behind Simmons, Tatum and mitchell. Lakers got an absolute steal with him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Kuz is having an outstanding year, right now hes probably 4th in ROY voting behind Simmons, Tatum and mitchell. Lakers got an absolute steal with him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Kyle+Kuzma&player_id1_select=Kyle+Kuzma&y1=2018&player_id1=kuzmaky01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Donovan+Mitchell&player_id2_select=Donovan+Mitchell&y2=2018&player_id2=mitchdo01&idx=players&player_id3_hint=Jayson+Tatum&player_id3_select=Jayson+Tatum&y3=2018&player_id3=tatumja01&idx=players

IMO

1. Simmons

2. Kuzma
3. Tatum
4. Mitchell

GREATNESS ONE
12-23-2017, 02:25 PM
So weak that a 2nd year player can win ROY. They should really change that but none of takes away from Simmons. Heís a phenomenal young player.

TrueFan420
12-23-2017, 03:10 PM
So weak that a 2nd year player can win ROY. They should really change that but none of takes away from Simmons. Heís a phenomenal young player.

Yea it's an unfair advantage. It sucks he missed out on the chance to win it his rookie year cause of injury but that doesn't mean he should get a second crack at it.

HeartOfStarks
12-23-2017, 10:40 PM

I donít dislike Lyles I just personally feel Mitchell will end up a considerably superior player, just my two cents, Time will tell.

I also wouldnít be surprised if Mitchell ends up better than Gary Harris, I donít love him as much as everyone else seems to, feel heís a bit overrated personally (heís a good player donít get me wrong but people talk about him like heís a star & I donít totally see it).

That said you guys have some nice pieces (including Harris). If I was Den management though personally I wouldíve kept Mitchell and gauged the trade market for Harris.

Iím sure youíll disagree with me and thatís fine, just an opinion.