PDA

View Full Version : Junior Basketball Association

Rivera
12-20-2017, 03:25 PM
LaVar Ball said Wednesday that he's launching a basketball league for nationally-ranked players who have graduated from high school but don't want to go to college.

Ball's Junior Basketball Association, which he says is fully funded by his Big Baller Brand, plans to pay the lowest-ranked player a salary of $3,000 a month and the best player $10,000 a month, Ball said. Ball is looking for 80 players to fill 10 teams that will seek to play at NBA arenas in Los Angeles, Dallas, Brooklyn and Atlanta.

"Getting these players is going to be easy," Ball told ESPN. "This is giving guys a chance to get a jump start on their career, to be seen by pro scouts, and we're going to pay them because someone has to pay these kids."

The new Junior Basketball Association logo features the outline of Lonzo Ball. Big Baller Brand
Ball said the rules of his league will follow those of the NBA instead of college -- 12-minute quarters and a pro 3-point line.

Ball said he was partly motivated by the comments made earlier in the month by NCAA president Mark Emmert, who was asked at a SportsBusiness Journal conference whether Ball was good or bad for the college game.

"Is this about someone being part of a university and playing basketball or any other sport with that school's jersey on representing that institution, or is it about preparing me for my career, my professional career as a ballplayer," Emmert responded, just a few days after Ball's son LiAngelo left UCLA to turn pro before even playing his first minutes. "If it's the latter, you can do that inside a university and that might be a really good way to go. But if you don't want to and you don't think that it's right for your family then don't come."

"He was right," Ball said. "Those kids who are one and done, they shouldn't be there with the NCAA trying to hold them hostage, not allowing them to keep the jersey they wear while selling replicas of them in stores," Ball said. "So our guy isn't going to go to Florida State for a year. He's going to come to our league."

Ball said since Big Baller Brand is promoting the league, all players must agree to wear only Big Baller Brand products, including BBB shoes on the court.

"We'll give it to them all," Ball said. "They'll be wearing our uniform, our shoes, our T-shirts and our hoodies."

Ball admits there's a lot of work to do to get the league ready. No venues have been rented out and ticket prices haven't been set. He also doesn't have any players yet -- the league won't include LiAngelo and LaMelo, who will be finishing up their first season with Prienai Birstonas Vytautus in Lithuania.

The logo for the league features a silhouette of his son Lonzo, who plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, going to the hoop for a dunk.

"We don't need a logo of a guy dribbling," Ball said, an obvious reference to the NBA's famous Jerry West silhouette. "Nobody does that anymore."

I am all in on this. I actually think this is a genius idea with a potential big market.

PC
12-20-2017, 03:45 PM
$3k - $10k a month is peanuts compared to what the top recruits could get overseas. And for the lower ranked kids, the college tuition is literally more valuable as well. So I'm a bit confused as to the pool of talent he would be targeting because it's not going to make sense for most.

chitownkid
12-20-2017, 03:55 PM
id rather go to school for a year n get to wear nike or adidas instead

pass

IndyRealist
12-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Perhaps he should start shipping shoes that got preordered before he goes and spends that money on a basketball league?

With only BBB apparel on the court, he's going to have a heck of a time getting revenue. Without endorsement money, good luck renting out 18,000 seat NBA arenas. I see this more likely in community college gyms.

Personally, I'd rather play in the D-League where you are running NBA systems with NBA staff, and you are guaranteed to get looked at.

aman_13
12-20-2017, 04:51 PM
$3k - $10k a month is peanuts compared to what the top recruits could get overseas. And for the lower ranked kids, the college tuition is literally more valuable as well. So I'm a bit confused as to the pool of talent he would be targeting because it's not going to make sense for most.

He's targeting year and done recruits. Many of these athletes don't actually study.

Rivera
12-20-2017, 04:53 PM

more exposure in the states, that alone is worth more money. When your targeting one and dones, put them in a league to seperate themselves, its genius and theres a market for it. I love high school hoops so I know I would LOVE this. Exposure/media attention/ and being in the states where your family doesnt have to travel overseason and learn a new language, I could see many people jumping all over this as long as its done right and its organized properly

now will it be done right and organized right? thats a different question

jaydubb
12-20-2017, 04:59 PM
This is just gonna get college recruiters to say "hey we will pay you more money under the table, just keep it on the DL".

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jaydubb
12-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Jus kidding..

Tbh I really like this idea. It has a ton of room for growth. It'll give prospects a lot of exposure without the hassle of having to deal with going to college (if they don't want to go to college). I can see the nba or ESPN partnering with this league in the future to broadcast it on national TV. Potential for a lot of money here for lavar. Great idea

valade16
12-20-2017, 05:03 PM

The recruits make more money going to college from under the table payments lol

Rivera
12-20-2017, 05:17 PM
This is just gonna get college recruiters to say "hey we will pay you more money under the table, just keep it on the DL".

actually, thats 100% true lolololol it might make the colleges spend less because now they have a standard ball park figure to work with vs a free market

TheDish87
12-20-2017, 05:20 PM
this is a horrible idea and there is no way he can fund this off his ******** baller brand. even if he gets a league up and running itll just be glorified AAU and no kid will develop or learn a thing.

HandsOnTheWheel
12-20-2017, 05:31 PM
This'll be a disaster.

PC
12-20-2017, 05:33 PM
more exposure in the states, that alone is worth more money. When your targeting one and dones, put them in a league to seperate themselves, its genius and theres a market for it. I love high school hoops so I know I would LOVE this. Exposure/media attention/ and being in the states where your family doesnt have to travel overseason and learn a new language, I could see many people jumping all over this as long as its done right and its organized properly

now will it be done right and organized right? thats a different question

If you're a legit one and done talent, exposure is not going to be an issue. Guys like Jennings and Mudiay went top 10 after playing overseas and got over $1m, which would be at least 20x more than he would get in this league.

PC
12-20-2017, 05:35 PM

Also true lol

Plus, lack of reputable coaching, training, medical staff, etc. Just don't see how this makes any sense.

mike_noodles
12-20-2017, 05:59 PM
I think this is a good idea, but aren't those kids already eligible to play in the G League?

IndyRealist
12-20-2017, 06:12 PM
I think this is a good idea, but aren't those kids already eligible to play in the G League?

Yup.

CityofTreez
12-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Itís his plan guys...let him work it all out

goingfor28
12-20-2017, 09:44 PM
I'll play

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scoots
12-20-2017, 10:12 PM
There are what, about 3 minutes left in his 15 minutes now?

aman_13
12-20-2017, 10:33 PM
There are what, about 3 minutes left in his 15 minutes now?

Who Lavar? He's sticking around. He has a very strong following.

basch152
12-20-2017, 11:30 PM

shaq made more money in college than he did the NBA, everybody knows that.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-21-2017, 12:02 AM
Why go there when half these college coaches will pay you thousands of dollars and hire hookers when recruiting you?

aman_13
12-21-2017, 12:12 AM
Why go there when half these college coaches will pay you thousands of dollars and hire hookers when recruiting you?

If it succeeds, the pay will only go up. That's the upside but the G-League being an option will definitely be deterring factor.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-21-2017, 12:39 AM
If it succeeds, the pay will only go up. That's the upside but the G-League being an option will definitely be deterring factor.

Is it possible to sign a 2 way contract so a team has you locked up, then you can sign to a regular NBA contract after you become 19? Seems like a good way to cheat the system. You can become property of to the team you want to go to.

aman_13
12-21-2017, 12:52 AM
Is it possible to sign a 2 way contract so a team has you locked up, then you can sign to a regular NBA contract after you become 19? Seems like a good way to cheat the system. You can become property of to the team you want to go to.

I don't think they can do that.

IndyRealist
12-21-2017, 08:39 AM

In the JBA? The NBA does not have an agreement with them like they do Euroleague. The NBA could poach all the players they wanted.

The JBA is a stupid idea. It's the G League without the NBA support.

IndyRealist
12-21-2017, 08:46 AM

They are targeting player who presumably believe they are only 1yr out from the NBA. What do these players care if the JBA succeeds or if the pay will go up? They're not going to see it.

The real danger is that he has no scruples and will start targeting 15 and 16yr olds when he can't fill out his rosters.

TheDish87
12-21-2017, 08:48 AM
any real one and done type talent doesnt need to worry about making a few bucks in some BS league thats never gonna happen. You cant increase your stock in a league like this, but you can in the NCAA.

aman_13
12-21-2017, 03:16 PM
They are targeting player who presumably believe they are only 1yr out from the NBA. What do these players care if the JBA succeeds or if the pay will go up? They're not going to see it.

The real danger is that he has no scruples and will start targeting 15 and 16yr olds when he can't fill out his rosters.

I think there is a certain appeal that goes with BBB that we tend to over look because the dislike for Lavar, but they have a very strong influence over kids. It would not surprise me if many of them preferred the league just for the cachet.

I'm sure partnering with the NBA is part of the process. There is a lot to figure out, but I like the idea.

Rivera
12-21-2017, 03:55 PM
any real one and done type talent doesnt need to worry about making a few bucks in some BS league thats never gonna happen. You cant increase your stock in a league like this, but you can in the NCAA.

you cant increase your stock playing against high level talent on a consistent basis?

hmmm I find that odd.

And they get to focus 100% on their basketball career without NCAA restrictions.....

but this cant increase your stock?

I think your looking at it wrong. Ben Simmons even said college was a joke, that he learned wayyy more sitting out for a whole year in the nba than in college.

IndyRealist
12-21-2017, 04:26 PM
I think there is a certain appeal that goes with BBB that we tend to over look because the dislike for Lavar, but they have a very strong influence over kids. It would not surprise me if many of them preferred the league just for the cachet.

I'm sure partnering with the NBA is part of the process. There is a lot to figure out, but I like the idea.

I work with kids and have yet to meet a teen who thought BBB was anything but a joke. Middle aged men on PSD seem far more enamored with the brand than anyone who's supposed to be their target audience.

TheDish87
12-21-2017, 04:59 PM
you cant increase your stock playing against high level talent on a consistent basis?

hmmm I find that odd.

And they get to focus 100% on their basketball career without NCAA restrictions.....

but this cant increase your stock?

I think your looking at it wrong. Ben Simmons even said college was a joke, that he learned wayyy more sitting out for a whole year in the nba than in college.

you are acting like a such league is gonna be filled with legitimate high end talent, its not, its not even gonna happen anyway. The players who skipped college in the past did not gain anything and flamed out fast. Youre gonna tell me you can learn more from some AAU coach with little to no real knowledge to help you in the NBA then a Jay Wright, Roy Williams, Coach K, Bill Self, etc, etc, etc, etc. Lets not forget the additional opportunities that cones with being at a major NCAA program like traveling abroad, world class facilities and training staff, playing on primetime, making a tourney run, the list goes on and on.

A Ben Simmons doesnt come around that often and thats a personal choice for him to waste his experience but its easy when you choose a football school

Chapin78
12-21-2017, 06:46 PM
In theory the idea is sound but in actuality it will be very difficult to actually sustain.

1. For Example - Coach K goes to your house and starts talking to you and your parents about world class Duke education, the facility, the medical staff, the trainers, the preparation for the NBA, the NBA players he has personally coached, the amount of NBA players he has put in the NBA, the national TV exposure you will be receiving by not only playing games, but by having your highlights on TV on every show such as FS1 or ESPN.

or

Lavar Ball coming into your house and telling your parents that you are a top talent you need to get paid money so what he is ready to do is give you 3K a month to play for the Dallas Assknats at the local YMCA where the building can fit anywhere up to 75 people, but Mr Tony's hotdogs are delicious and will be on sale at .50$ during game nights so your 3K will be able to stretch out.

Lack of facilities, staff, reputation, money and exposure and this is another rec league. 3K doesn't really go far after rent, car note, insurance, internet, electricity, phone bill, supplements, and then food. That's just to name a few. I know that Duke doesn't pay their players but they all have a place to eat, sleep, study and be taken care of.

KnicksorBust
12-21-2017, 07:25 PM
I think people are underestimating how many good players are bad at school and don't want to move overseas. All he needs is a few studs to catch on and go pro and this league could work.

TheDish87
12-22-2017, 11:51 AM
i think it would have to go deeper than that, if he got a few top end recruits and they were busts it would damage the league

IndyRealist
12-22-2017, 12:47 PM
I think people are underestimating how many good players are bad at school and don't want to move overseas. All he needs is a few studs to catch on and go pro and this league could work.

I think you're underestimating the number of good players who realize they won't do any academics in college anyway, get paid more money under the table, and bang sorority girls.

Rivera
12-22-2017, 12:52 PM
you are acting like a such league is gonna be filled with legitimate high end talent, its not, its not even gonna happen anyway. The players who skipped college in the past did not gain anything and flamed out fast. Youre gonna tell me you can learn more from some AAU coach with little to no real knowledge to help you in the NBA then a Jay Wright, Roy Williams, Coach K, Bill Self, etc, etc, etc, etc. Lets not forget the additional opportunities that cones with being at a major NCAA program like traveling abroad, world class facilities and training staff, playing on primetime, making a tourney run, the list goes on and on.

A Ben Simmons doesnt come around that often and thats a personal choice for him to waste his experience but its easy when you choose a football school

We dont know, and this is his plan. if you get a few top recruits to bite, thats all you need. Whose to say hes going to fill it with AAU coaches? Why cant he fill it with former NBA players? Or people who have been around the nba game?

kids focusing 100% on their career isnt a bad thing and cant increase stock. And this doesnt hurt the person who bites on this league and doesnt become successful, because they can easily, fill out a FAFSA like myself and go to school and work towards a different career if the NBA doesnt work out. That student just wont have the ability to play NCAA basketball

Rivera
12-22-2017, 12:55 PM

as well as Lavars influence on this younger generation. You just need 1 and you got to work out the kinks but I could see this work. I would watch this more than NCAA basketball (until tournament time)

TheDish87
12-22-2017, 08:29 PM
he doesnt have an influence on anyone. hes is regarded by the majority as an egotistical idiot who is on the verge of ruining all of his kids careers.

KnicksorBust
12-22-2017, 08:59 PM

I think you're underestimating the number of good players who realize they won't do any academics in college anyway, get paid more money under the table, and bang sorority girls.

Possible. :)

But as a high school basketball coach whose best player has 4 fs I have a different perspective. Every year for the last decade I have seen talented players with grade and behavior problems. There are always going to be great basketball talents who have trouble even getting in to a college. If your only response is that D1 schools are more corrupt than I realize then that is an unproven. As I said before and others like Riv has said... all it takes is a few STUDS who buy in to Lavar and then use the league to go pro. Then its a wrap. Is there a good chance this bombs? Definitely. My concerns are venues, coaches, medical staff/trainers, and exposure. These games need to be on TV consistently and the play needs to be entertaining.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-22-2017, 11:15 PM

But as a high school basketball coach whose best player has 4 fs I have a different perspective. Every year for the last decade I have seen talented players with grade and behavior problems. There are always going to be great basketball talents who have trouble even getting in to a college. If your only response is that D1 schools are more corrupt than I realize then that is an unproven. As I said before and others like Riv has said... all it takes is a few STUDS who buy in to Lavar and then use the league to go pro. Then its a wrap. Is there a good chance this bombs? Definitely. My concerns are venues, coaches, medical staff/trainers, and exposure. These games need to be on TV consistently and the play needs to be entertaining.

He'll probably sign a deal with Facebook Live.

KnicksorBust
12-24-2017, 01:42 AM

He'll probably sign a deal with Facebook Live.

Good call. What is the viewership for that? Any idea?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Good call. What is the viewership for that? Any idea?

Don't know but that's the direction TV will be trending so to get a start on Facebook Live is good.