PDA

View Full Version : Could Paul George to Houston happen?

mightybosstone
12-20-2017, 01:41 PM
So, I'll preface this thread by saying I don't think it will happen, nor do I necessarily even want it to happen. But we're a ways off from the trade deadline, and it's fun to talk about hypotheticals when rumors like this arise.

Also, we should probably take all of this with a grain of salt, because it's coming from Chris Broussard, who I trust with NBA rumors about as much as I would trust Harvey Weinstein to babysit my 18-year-old stepsister. That being said, here's the article from Hoops Hype: http://hoopshype.com/2017/12/19/paul-george-to-the-rockets-would-be-tough-but-we-cant-rule-it-out/

So, first off, is this even a possibility? If OKC doesn't get any better by the trade deadline, do we think OKC would look to deal George? And if that is the case, does Houston make sense as a possible destination, and what does everyone think would be a fair package for George? Finally, if this were to happen, how much better could George make Houston this season?

rhino17
12-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Ryan Anderson only, otherwise I'm not interested. I'm not even sure I'm interested in that trade right now.

GREATNESS ONE
12-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Ryan Anderson only, otherwise I'm not interested. I'm not even sure I'm interested in that trade right now.

You should be, you’re not winning the Championship as currently constructed.

WaDe03
12-20-2017, 01:51 PM

Stop it lol, that's ridiculous.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2017, 01:54 PM
I hope not.

mightybosstone
12-20-2017, 01:57 PM

So I'm not 100 percent on board with this, but I get where you're coming from. To make the salaries work, the Rockets would have to deal one of Anderson or Gordon. I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday, and I kind of think that two and a half years of Gordon on his team-friendly salary is more valuable than half a year of George with no guarantee of a long-term commitment.

Now, if you could guarantee me that George would sign long-term in Houston, then obviously it's a different conversation. But Gordon is a really key piece to what the Rockets do offensively, and it's hard to find guys who can score and shoot at his level for so cheap. I'm not sure that getting rid of that for a half-year rental of George is worth it. But Anderson? I'd trade him for George in a heartbeat, and the Rockets could sweeten the deal by throwing in some other pieces.

IndyRealist
12-20-2017, 01:57 PM
Salarywise, it would have to be for Anderson, or for Gordon and filler. George is redundant with Ariza and Tucker, and leaves a big, gaping hole at PF if Anderson gets moved.

I don't think you change a team that's 25-4 mid season.

HandsOnTheWheel
12-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Cleveland makes more sense IMO.

Chronz
12-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Melo, PG for Anderson, EG, Ariza/Tucker and Nene or someone

sep11ie
12-20-2017, 02:26 PM

No way.

Chronz
12-20-2017, 02:27 PM
No way.
Then you take Roberson instead of Melo and keep Nene but you include both Tucker and ariza

mightybosstone
12-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Cleveland makes more sense IMO.

Does it, though? The best assets Cleveland has are Love and the Brooklyn pick. But if you're Cleveland, you'd be crazy to part with either for a half-year rental of George. So if both of those assets are out of the question, what pieces could Cleveland offer that OKC would actually want?

mightybosstone
12-20-2017, 03:15 PM

That's too much of an overhaul. I don't see Morey making that deal. They'd be giving up half the team's rotation, who (with the exception of Ariza) are all locked in for at least two and a half years to take a chance on half-year rentals of Melo and George. And I'm not sure it makes them better in the short-term given the amount of time it would take Melo and George to get up to speed and gel with this squad.

Vee-Rex
12-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Does it, though? The best assets Cleveland has are Love and the Brooklyn pick. But if you're Cleveland, you'd be crazy to part with either for a half-year rental of George. So if both of those assets are out of the question, what pieces could Cleveland offer that OKC would actually want?

Reports are that George has already told Cleveland (back in the summer) that he'd be willing to opt-in or sign a longer contract for sure if it meant LeBron would stay. Not to mention reports are that LeBron was trying to recruit George.

All it takes is for LeBron to say to Gilbert, "Yeah, I'll sign for at least one more year with Cleveland if you bring in George." and then voila, the Brooklyn pick is worth it.

Not to mention, from the looks of it (with Paul George stating that the #1 priority is WINNING), if you pair him up with LeBron WITHOUT prior confirmations on re-signing, there's still a good chance both will sign. Risking a pick that is currently #10'ish right now isn't out of the question.

The situation isn't as crazy or black-n-white as you're making it.

LOb0
12-20-2017, 04:00 PM
If they had a real coach they'd be scary with PG.

mightybosstone
12-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Reports are that George has already told Cleveland (back in the summer) that he'd be willing to opt-in or sign a longer contract for sure if it meant LeBron would stay. Not to mention reports are that LeBron was trying to recruit George.

All it takes is for LeBron to say to Gilbert, "Yeah, I'll sign for at least one more year with Cleveland if you bring in George." and then voila, the Brooklyn pick is worth it.

Not to mention, from the looks of it (with Paul George stating that the #1 priority is WINNING), if you pair him up with LeBron WITHOUT prior confirmations on re-signing, there's still a good chance both will sign. Risking a pick that is currently #10'ish right now isn't out of the question.

I'm not saying that it's crazy. I'm saying that, on paper as of today, Cleveland's assets don't make a ton of sense. But as you said, it would be a totally different story if Lebron openly said he'd be willing to stay in Cleveland long-term and you could get a long-term commitment out of George. Then pretty much all of the Cavs assets would be in play, and they could outbid almost any contender in the league if they wanted to.

I just don't know that we're going to get that kind of a commitment from Lebron and George.

mightybosstone
12-20-2017, 04:12 PM

Not taking the bait. Poor attempt, troll.

rhino17
12-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Salarywise, it would have to be for Anderson, or for Gordon and filler. George is redundant with Ariza and Tucker, and leaves a big, gaping hole at PF if Anderson gets moved.

I don't think you change a team that's 25-4 mid season.

George would slide right into Anderson's role, there would be no redundancy

You should be, you’re not winning the Championship as currently constructed.

Taking 2 quality players out of the rotation for 1 is not a slam dunk decision, especially when you are the best team in the league atm. And there is no guarantee George is even staying beyond this season.

LOb0
12-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Not taking the bait. Poor attempt, troll.

He's just a plague on the team. No matter what moves are made he's still there. Rockets are probably my 3rd favorite franchise. I was so sad to see when they hired him. And he got the credit for last season despite the reason they were bad before was Dwight and Harden came in out of shape and disconnected.

I guess I'll give him some credit for how he used Harden but he really just made him his Steve Nash. It wasn't innovative or anything but whatever. I'm glad Eric Gordon worked too, I was so against that and Ryan Anderson signing.

Vee-Rex
12-20-2017, 04:20 PM
I just don't know that we're going to get that kind of a commitment from Lebron and George.

Well, we can reasonably assume that if LeBron stays, George will likely also stay. And that LeBron's chances of staying increase if he has Paul George playing next to him.

I just think that if OKC offered Paul George right now for the Brooklyn pick (#10'ish) + fillers, then you pull the trigger if you're the Cavs.

Edit: Here's an example:

Crowder + Zizic + Shumpert + Nets pick for Paul George. Money matches.

That's a mix of a decent player (Crowder) with youth in Zizic, and a defensive guard with the Nets pick.

IT/Wade
George/Smith
James/Korver
Love/Green
Thompson/Frye

That's not a bad deal at all on Cleveland's part.

LOb0
12-20-2017, 04:25 PM
Well, we can reasonably assume that if LeBron stays, George will likely also stay. And that LeBron's chances of staying increase if he has Paul George playing next to him.

I just think that if OKC offered Paul George right now for the Brooklyn pick (#10'ish) + fillers, then you pull the trigger if you're the Cavs.

Honestly If I'm the Cavs owner ***** that. He's caved to every demand and overpaid and signed everyone LeBron asked for. Either you go to the media and say I'm staying or I'm not trading that one future asset we have. Every year he holds leverage over the Cavs. And looking at those contracts its not always a good thing.

Vee-Rex
12-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Honestly If I'm the Cavs owner ***** that. He's caved to every demand and overpaid and signed everyone LeBron asked for. Either you go to the media and say I'm staying or I'm not trading that one future asset we have. Every year he holds leverage over the Cavs. And looking at those contracts its not always a good thing.

Maybe not, but it's likely the Cavs never win a championship - ever, if not for LeBron.

And I say that as a Cavs fan (not LeBron fan). Hell, we probably win 2 titles if one of either A)full health in 2015 finals B) Durant isn't a ***** and joins GS for the 2017 finals.

I get that it's ****ed up what LeBron does but the only reason I can stomach it is because he's quite literally top 3 all-time, arguably the GOAT. If any player could have so much influence on front office decisions, it SHOULD be someone of his or MJ's caliber. We should do everything we can to retain him and put up with it for another few years, then move on.

LOb0
12-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Maybe not, but it's likely the Cavs never win a championship - ever, if not for LeBron.

And I say that as a Cavs fan (not LeBron fan). Hell, we probably win 2 titles if one of either A)full health in 2015 finals B) Durant isn't a ***** and joins GS for the 2017 finals.

I get that it's ****ed up what LeBron does but the only reason I can stomach it is because he's quite literally top 3 all-time, arguably the GOAT. If any player could have so much influence on front office decisions, it SHOULD be someone of his or MJ's caliber. We should do everything we can to retain him and put up with it for another few years, then move on.

I agree with you but he'll bail in a heart beat. You gotta start thinking about the future. Bron did his part but so did ownership. If he can't commit I wouldn't commit the future because he could and likely will bolt anyway.

IndyRealist
12-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Taking 2 quality players out of the rotation for 1 is not a slam dunk decision, especially when you are the best team in the league atm. And there is no guarantee George is even staying beyond this season.

You don't want George playing spot up PF. He isn't built for it. He's long and quick, and likes being the secondary ballhandler. He's suited to guarding wings and guards, not banging for rebounds. He has neither the bulk nor the inclination.

I keep telling people how Paul George plays, and people keep telling me otherwise. It's not the team, it's not the coaching. It's him.

GREATNESS ONE
12-20-2017, 04:44 PM

In the words of the great Ric Flair

To be the Man, you got to beat the Man.

You’re not the leagues best team lol you might have a better season record atm but you guys haven’t had your chance to prove you’re the best team yet. You’ll get your chance in the post season, to take the throne.

Vee-Rex
12-20-2017, 04:55 PM
I agree with you but he'll bail in a heart beat. You gotta start thinking about the future. Bron did his part but so did ownership. If he can't commit I wouldn't commit the future because he could and likely will bolt anyway.

Yeah, I feel you man. I wanna get past all of it too and build for our future. I could probably lay out a myriad of reasons on why I think he'll stay, but ultimately 'Bron gonna 'Bron and no one knows what he's gonna do.

LOb0
12-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I feel you man. I wanna get past all of it too and build for our future. I could probably lay out a myriad of reasons on why I think he'll stay, but ultimately 'Bron gonna 'Bron and no one knows what he's gonna do.

Best bet is he has no better situation to go to, which could be possible. Haven't checked the cap numbers but, Houston has to resign Paul, Lakers won't be good enough, OKC is a long shot. SA is the most dangerous option. Cavs should try to get Melo as a FA to appease LeBron. Then you can consider flipping the Nets pick after he resigns. Melo has been all about the money since he got in the league so it might be a tough sell getting him on a minimum.

WaDe03
12-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Imagine if the Celtics had a coach that's won more than 2 playoff series.

WaDe03
12-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Even if LeBron leaves I think they would have a chance to keep PG and IT.

IT
JR
George
Love
TT

That's a contender imo.

BDawk20Fan
12-20-2017, 06:13 PM

That's a little too much. I'm a Rockets fan and wouldn't give up CP3 Anderson or Gordon right now

mrblisterdundee
12-20-2017, 06:32 PM
How about George and Anthony for Anderson, Ariza and Gordon?
Westbrook's been a disaster at integrating George and Anthony. Ariza, Anderson and Gordon are all better-suited to spot up off ball on the perimeter, while Gordon can be a backup ball-handler when Westbrook needs a rest.
The Rockets get to dump Anderson's contract and add a couple all-star wings. I don't see why George wouldn't want to stay in Houston with Harden and Paul. But even if he doesn't stay, Houston is better-prepared to swing a deal for LeBron or another marquee free agent.

WhiteShadow42
12-20-2017, 06:43 PM
It's tough to give up your core players on a 25-4 team (at the moment). They are not stars but great role players for this team. If it does not workout this season for Houston, then they can actually go after the big fish in the offseason because of the stars they do have. Just my humble opinion.

cheetos185
12-20-2017, 07:48 PM
I think OKC might do melo for Anderson straight up considering they are in win now mode and they need spacing/rebounding badly

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

JordansBulls
12-20-2017, 09:35 PM
If you bring him off the bench then yeah.

IndyRealist
12-20-2017, 11:09 PM
I think OKC might do melo for Anderson straight up considering they are in win now mode and they need spacing/rebounding badly

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

So does Houston.

Lakers + Giants
12-21-2017, 04:30 AM
TBH i think it's more likely LeBron goes to Houston. I think besides CLE they're the favorite.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-21-2017, 10:02 AM

No way Thunder take a bad contract. They could just let PG13 walk and keep the cap space for what they want. Or trade PG13 to Lakers at the deadline.

IKnowHoops
12-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Hope we target AD or DMC not PG

LA4life24/8
12-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Okc is not taking Ryan freakin Anderson for pg13. Not happening.

They'd prolly do it for melo straight up. They also arent taking

Pg/melo for anderson/Gordon/ariza/1st either.
If the thunder wanna get rid of em they can find more cost effective ways to do it. Lakers got expirings for 1 as do many other teams

LA4life24/8
12-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Hope we target AD or DMC not PG

You ain't gettin AD for ANYTHING that yall got.

IKnowHoops
12-21-2017, 11:35 AM

Exactly! When the GOAT is on you team, you have to move a little different, and that's OK because you are guaranteed to be in the finals every f-in year. That's a guarantee worth moving differently for.

IKnowHoops
12-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Best bet is he has no better situation to go to, which could be possible. Haven't checked the cap numbers but, Houston has to resign Paul, Lakers won't be good enough, OKC is a long shot. SA is the most dangerous option. Cavs should try to get Melo as a FA to appease LeBron. Then you can consider flipping the Nets pick after he resigns. Melo has been all about the money since he got in the league so it might be a tough sell getting him on a minimum.

No! All you have to do to keep Bron is to act like he isn't there but still try and win next year. That means you go bring in the best available player for your picks, shumpert and TT. F the future. Other than next season.

Vinylman
12-21-2017, 12:17 PM
ryan anderson only, otherwise i'm not interested. I'm not even sure i'm interested in that trade right now.

lololololololololololololololololololololol

Vinylman
12-21-2017, 12:24 PM

ding ding ding ... Brooklyn has currently played well enough for Cleveland to take that pick and trade it...

PG13/Brooklyn Pick for KidnPlay/Frye

it is a no brainer for both actually ... unless of course someone is going to come up with a better pick than Brooklyn...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Only asset Rockets have is Capela. No team is eating Anderson alone. First round picks on a deep playoff run isn't enticing either. This summer most insiders said it take two first round picks minimum to eat Anderson. Also salary cap is getting rare each year with teams foolishly spending. Market gone dry. I think LeBron is staying with Cavs. Unless Lakers pull a rabbit out of its hat and dump Deng with Ingram or Kuzma or unprotected first. But doubt most teams want a Lakers pick if they land PG13 and another star.

GREATNESS ONE
12-21-2017, 12:32 PM
ding ding ding ... Brooklyn has currently played well enough for Cleveland to take that pick and trade it...

it is a no brainer for both actually ... unless of course someone is going to come up with a better pick than Brooklyn...

More I think about it, would rather have this trade happen. Let PG get traded to the Cavs, Kuzma has played fantastic basketball for a rookie and looks to lock up the forward position for many years.

Wonder if we can jump in this trade and unload BLO somewhere for a 1st rd pick.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-21-2017, 12:36 PM

I cant picture Thunder giving up PG13 for junk and a #8 pick. That's like giving up on this season already. Maybe Nets pick and Love for PG13. Nets pick and junk maybe gets ya Jordan. PG13 has more value if he says he's gonna take a extension with ya.

#8 so far Collin Sexton. http://www.nbadraft.net/ My guess they pass on Nets pick. If it was a top 3 pick then yeah they land a big then deal Adams that draft. But as it goes I see a lateral move of them trading PG13 for anther name under contract. Maybe PG13 for Blake? PG13 still gets LA just the other team. Blake goes home. But I could be wrong and get a lucky bounce and the lottery give that #8 a #4. Might get lucky. But pushing it. Pick could drop farther down as well.

WaDe03
12-21-2017, 12:44 PM
I cant picture Thunder giving up PG13 for junk and a #8 pick. That's like giving up on this season already. Maybe Nets pick and Love for PG13. Nets pick and junk maybe gets ya Jordan. PG13 has more value if he says he's gonna take a extension with ya.

#8 so far Collin Sexton. http://www.nbadraft.net/ My guess they pass on Nets pick. If it was a top 3 pick then yeah they land a big then deal Adams that draft. But as it goes I see a lateral move of them trading PG13 for anther name under contract. Maybe PG13 for Blake? PG13 still gets LA just the other team. Blake goes home. But I could be wrong and get a lucky bounce and the lottery give that #8 a #4. Might get lucky. But pushing it. Pick could drop farther down as well.

You must not know much about Collin Sexton. He's going to be nice in the NBA. This is a deeper draft than people are making it out to be.

Bagley
MPJR
Doncic
Ayton
Bomba
Sexton
Young
Bridges

There's 8 right there that a very young with high potential and that's just off the top of my head. That Nets pick is going to continue to get worse though.

Vinylman
12-21-2017, 12:48 PM

If OKC can do better ... great ... but no one is going to pay full price for PG13 because he Isn't going to commit before the offseason...

OKC's needs cap relief more than the pick... the Cleveland deal accomplishes both unless they can somehow get a third team involved to take Melo at the same time

One thing I was thinking they might do is a deal like

TT/Smith/KidnPlay/Frye/Osman/Cleveland 1st/Brooklyn1st/$3million for George/Adams

and then off the books Melo agree to a buyout where he would reduce his salary a little this year and then like $10 million next year so he could join up with Cleveland for the min

WaDe03
12-21-2017, 12:55 PM
If OKC can do better ... great ... but no one is going to pay full price for PG13 because he Isn't going to commit before the offseason...

OKC's needs cap relief more than the pick... the Cleveland deal accomplishes both unless they can somehow get a third team involved to take Melo at the same time

One thing I was thinking they might do is a deal like

TT/Smith/KidnPlay/Frye/Osman/Cleveland 1st/Brooklyn1st/$3million for George/Adams

and then off the books Melo agree to a buyout where he would reduce his salary a little this year and then like $10 million next year so he could join up with Cleveland for the min

They're saying PGs value isn't high either because a lot of people think he's going to LA.

If the Cavs trade for him they'll get to the finals and have a good chance of winning, he's not leaving that.

Vinylman
12-21-2017, 12:58 PM
They're saying PGs value isn't high either because a lot of people think he's going to LA.

If the Cavs trade for him they'll get to the finals and have a good chance of winning, he's not leaving that.

oh I agree with the bolded totally... unfortunately that won't factor into his value in a trade... nor should it without a signed extension

Heediot
12-21-2017, 01:08 PM
You must not know much about Collin Sexton. He's going to be nice in the NBA. This is a deeper draft than people are making it out to be.

Bagley
MPJR
Doncic
Ayton
Bomba
Sexton
Young
Bridges

There's 8 right there that a very young with high potential and that's just off the top of my head. That Nets pick is going to continue to get worse though.

the top 4-5 (Ayton, Doncic, Bragley, Porter for sure, will be legit guys to build around, Bamba has sky high potential, but he's still raw on offense, his defense could be generational though).

GiantsSwaGG
12-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Y’all dont want Melo no more? :laugh2:

WaDe03
12-21-2017, 01:41 PM

You still don't want Kyrie for Frank and Willy? :laugh2:

FlashBolt
12-21-2017, 11:01 PM

I am setting up a Gofundme page for some team to take him. Unless you guys have a return policy we don't know of?