PDA

View Full Version : Who is the heir apparent to Kobe Bryant?

Tg11
12-19-2017, 03:37 PM
As far as there being another Kobe in today's game there will never be another like him. However, as far as players whose games resemble Kobe then off of who could become the next Kobe? Which players have that assassin-like mentality that Kobe had? Or based off attitude, fearlessness, skill and athletic ability then the names that come to mind: James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard, Devin Booker and Kevin Durant

Rivera
12-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Nobody. There wasnt and wont be another Michael. There wont be another Kobe. There wont be another Lebron. There wont be another Dirk. There wont be another Tim.

Everyone you mentioned has the chance to be the first them and elevate their status into legendary with hard work and (a little unfairly) championships.

lol, please
12-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Nobody. There wasnt and wont be another Michael. There wont be another Kobe. There wont be another Lebron. There wont be another Dirk. There wont be another Tim.

Everyone you mentioned has the chance to be the first them and elevate their status into legendary with hard work and (a little unfairly) championships.Best possible answer.

/thread

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

mightybosstone
12-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Why does every great athlete need to have an "heir apparent" necessarily? Why can't each guy be his own person and bring his own skillset to the game? Like, Lebron is very little like Kobe in terms of attitude or skillset, but he absolutely is the greater all-time NBA basketball player. When Lebron retires, are we going to have this same discussion about Lebron's "heir apparent?"

I'd rather simplify this question to "Which NBA player today most resembles Kobe Bryant?" And the guy who comes to mind for me is Westbrook. Now, he and Kobe don't necessarily have identical skillsets or even play the same positions, but there's a lot of similarities there.

Both guys can/did do a little of everything, but were never great perimeter shooters or really considered elite in terms of scoring efficiency. Both guys early in their careers and around their peak relied heavily on their athleticism and getting to the free throw line, but both had/have great mid-range games. And both guys had/have irrational confidence late in games that causes them to take questionable shots that they probably shouldn't, yet somehow make a disproportionate amount of them.

Personality-wise, both guys also have similar me-first attitudes and fearless mentalities that made/make them dangerous in big games and in crunch time. They both also developed into All-Stars and experienced success early in their careers playing next to young future first-ballot Hall of Famers. However, questions often arose about how both guys would co-exist with those players, which inevitably drove the other guys away and caused both guys to carry their respective teams on their backs. Both guys put up eye-popping, MVP-caliber numbers for borderline playoff teams the year after their Hall of Fame teammates left and developed heated rivalries with their former teammates.

Chronz
12-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Kawhi

ChongInc.
12-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Derozan haha

KobeOwnSU
12-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Kawhi.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WaDe03
12-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Oladipo

Tg11
12-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Oladipo I can actually see it

aman_13
12-19-2017, 05:48 PM
Irving. I see a lot of Kobe in him.

aman_13
12-19-2017, 05:50 PM
Not that he's the next Kobe or anything like that but if you were to ask me who plays like him the most, the answer is DeMar. DeMar doesn't have the three point shooting but he modeled his entire game after him.

kobe4thewinbang
12-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Could've been DeRozan, but I ain't heard about him lately. Still a solid player, but Kyrie Irving is the obvious choice. Clutch, wants to be "the guy", etc. If Kobe were 3" shorter. Time will tell, but he's already earned one championship.

FlashBolt
12-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Why does there have to be a "new" Kobe? He's a top ten GOAT so it's not easily replicated in terms of everything Kobe offered.

DeRozan = No. You can't trust this guy to carry anything and you certainly don't want to see DeRozan with the ball in the playoffs. He might have decent footwork and a midrange but that's it.

Kyrie = No defense, shorter, doesn't really do much of anything else.

Westbrook = Again, no defense, can't carry a team, doesn't have the IQ Kobe has.

Kawhi = How?

lakerfan85
12-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Why does every great athlete need to have an "heir apparent" necessarily? Why can't each guy be his own person and bring his own skillset to the game? Like, Lebron is very little like Kobe in terms of attitude or skillset, but he absolutely is the greater all-time NBA basketball player. When Lebron retires, are we going to have this same discussion about Lebron's "heir apparent?"

I'd rather simplify this question to "Which NBA player today most resembles Kobe Bryant?" And the guy who comes to mind for me is Westbrook. Now, he and Kobe don't necessarily have identical skillsets or even play the same positions, but there's a lot of similarities there.

Both guys can/did do a little of everything, but were never great perimeter shooters or really considered elite in terms of scoring efficiency. Both guys early in their careers and around their peak relied heavily on their athleticism and getting to the free throw line, but both had/have great mid-range games. And both guys had/have irrational confidence late in games that causes them to take questionable shots that they probably shouldn't, yet somehow make a disproportionate amount of them.

Personality-wise, both guys also have similar me-first attitudes and fearless mentalities that made/make them dangerous in big games and in crunch time. They both also developed into All-Stars and experienced success early in their careers playing next to young future first-ballot Hall of Famers. However, questions often arose about how both guys would co-exist with those players, which inevitably drove the other guys away and caused both guys to carry their respective teams on their backs. Both guys put up eye-popping, MVP-caliber numbers for borderline playoff teams the year after their Hall of Fame teammates left and developed heated rivalries with their former teammates.

Westbrook doesnít play D though..

JasonJohnHorn
12-19-2017, 09:52 PM
This was the problem with the league after Jordan retired: people wanted the next Jordan.

But each generation reinvents the games. Kobe was already surpassed by LBJ before he retired, and now we have LBJ, and Curry, and KD, and to a lesser extent, Harden and Leonard (and for some Westy). And we have young studs like AD and DMC teaming up, and Towns. The league s full of great and exciting players. We don't need the next Kobe.

The league had a vacuum to fill when Jordan left. It's ratings went down the toilet. But it's in great shape now.

aman_13
12-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Why does there have to be a "new" Kobe? He's a top ten GOAT so it's not easily replicated in terms of everything Kobe offered.

DeRozan = No. You can't trust this guy to carry anything and you certainly don't want to see DeRozan with the ball in the playoffs. He might have decent footwork and a midrange but that's it.

Westbrook = Again, no defense, can't carry a team, doesn't have the IQ Kobe has.

Kawhi = How?

I should of been clear, I'm talking about style of play. By no means is DeMar actually like Kobe.

Scoots
12-19-2017, 11:20 PM
There isn't a next great SG yet. It would be Harden if he was a good defender or Thompson if he was a good ball-handler, or DeRozan if he was a good shooter/defender ... but instead we don't have one yet.

FlashBolt
12-21-2017, 11:03 PM
There isn't a next great SG yet. It would be Harden if he was a good defender or Thompson if he was a good ball-handler, or DeRozan if he was a good shooter/defender ... but instead we don't have one yet.

Harden is a great SG. His defense has been terrible but his offense is just as good as Wade/Kobe. The only issue with Harden is his playoff atrocities. If he can clean that up, I see no reason he shouldn't end his career being a top five SG. I don't see him winning any rings, though. At least Astros got one.

Hawkeye15
12-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Wiggins is a really lazy version who misses a lot of shots. Does he count?

GREATNESS ONE
12-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Kawhi = How?

This is PSD. Kobe isnít top 10, more like 12-15.

GiantsSwaGG
12-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Michael Beasley

FlashBolt
12-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Wiggins is a really lazy version who misses a lot of shots. Does he count?

No defense, can't pass, doesn't understand basketball plays, doesn't seem like he cares about winning. Wiggins is the complete opposite. Wiggins is like J.R. Smith if J.R. was born in Canada.

FlashBolt
12-22-2017, 03:13 PM

Advanced stats don't favor Kobe. He's up high in casual rankings, though. I mean, people still think Kobe>LeBron. I thought that was over years ago.

mightybosstone
12-22-2017, 03:13 PM

I have him at 11. :shrug:

Hawkeye15
12-22-2017, 03:31 PM
No defense, can't pass, doesn't understand basketball plays, doesn't seem like he cares about winning. Wiggins is the complete opposite. Wiggins is like J.R. Smith if J.R. was born in Canada.

at least Smith has testicles

Hawkeye15
12-22-2017, 03:31 PM

I have him 8-11

Scoots
12-22-2017, 05:42 PM

It's the way sports fans work. Look at how many threads there are trying to rank players/teams.

I have a problem comparing players/teams across time because the game has changed SO much all such comparisons are essentially just guesswork (adjusted advanced stats that are adjusted using this metric or that included).

Tg11
12-23-2017, 06:26 PM
As far as players who play similarly to Kobe, in terms of how they model their game by patterning it after him then I would definitely say Devin Booker of the Phoenix Suns for sure. Now as far as the attitude the cockiness and Mamba type mentality that Kobe has only players that I can think of that have that are LeBron James and Russell Westbrook.

Ethermark
01-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Can't see any right now

Jamiecballer
01-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Weird thread. If Kobe was an 80% version of MJ, is the question who closely resembles an 80% version of Kobe?

In that case it's gotta be Derozan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Giannis94
01-06-2018, 12:59 PM
And Kobe gets such a pass.

Stunner
01-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Zach Lavine