PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rivalries

Tg11
12-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Is there even such thing as a "rivalry" especially in today's NBA? As far as 2 franchises who simply put just do not like each other and the rivalry is actually fierce and competitive. Does that even still exist in today's NBA?

Simply put there are no more good rivalries in the NBA

At least in the latter 70s, 80s, 90s hell even into the 00s we actually had rivalries that mattered

But now in the grand scheme of things in the NBA even this does not exist or if it does it ain't the same like how it was

Tg11
12-19-2017, 11:20 AM
The closest thing to a rivalry nowadays in the NBA would be the Celtics and Wizards

Vee-Rex
12-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Cavs and Warriors have played each other more times in the last 3 years than any other two teams. 24 times.

Though not sure how much of a rivalry it still is since cupcake joined them.

mightybosstone
12-19-2017, 11:51 AM
I think there are still rivalries. It just takes time to develop, and we've had so many guys change teams the last few years. Look at that dislike between Lebron and Kyrie and how much that rivalry can develop between Boston and Cleveland, a rivalry that was has been damn solid for the last decade. Or how about that Westbrook/Durant breakup and how heated those games have gotten between Golden State and OKC?

Maybe you could make a case that there are more rivalries today between players than between teams since guys aren't quite as loyal to franchises anymore. But even then, you could make a damn good case for Golden State and Cleveland as one of the better rivalries in sports over the past few years. And then you have rivalries between teams that are in close proximity to each other. I can assure you that Houston, Dallas and San Antonio will never like each other, and I think that animosity can still be seen between a lot of California teams.

tredigs
12-19-2017, 12:30 PM
There's not enough loyalty by players or organizations (I don't blame them) for great rivalries. Which is fine, there's still no shortage of entertainment value.

lol, please
12-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Lakers and Celtics
Warriors and Rockets

/thread

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Tg11
12-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Lakers/Celtics
Rockets/Thunder

Ishkabibble
12-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Lakers and Celtics is still a big deal, no matter where the teams are at in the standings. Three great rivalry periods; Russell vs. Wilt, Bird vs. Magic and KC vs. Kobe. Every team wining at least 1 championship. They've combined for (I think) 33 World Championships; mind-blowing.

Tg11
12-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Rivalries in today's NBA that still run rampant

Rockets/Mavs
Grizzlies/Thunder or Grizzlies/Clippers
Clippers/Warriors
Raptors/Bulls

But the rivalries are true rivalries right now:

Wizards/Celtics
Thunder/Warriors
Cavs/Warriors