PDA

View Full Version : West wanted to trade Eddie Jones for T-Mac

JasonJohnHorn
12-18-2017, 05:47 PM
WOW!!! I know it would have taken a couple of seasons for the Lakers to get there with T-Mac, but I feel like that would have been like putting Pippen and Jordan on the same team with Hakeem. Not quite the same... but... just wow.

This further reinforces the idea that West if the greatest GM of all time. And to think, the Lakers squashed it to keep Eddie Jones?

What would have happened with that roster, running the triangle with T-Mac and Kobe?

WaDe03
12-18-2017, 06:57 PM
WOW!!! I know it would have taken a couple of seasons for the Lakers to get there with T-Mac, but I feel like that would have been like putting Pippen and Jordan on the same team with Hakeem. Not quite the same... but... just wow.

This further reinforces the idea that West if the greatest GM of all time. And to think, the Lakers squashed it to keep Eddie Jones?

What would have happened with that roster, running the triangle with T-Mac and Kobe?

This enforces him as the greatest GM of all time because he didn't get it done lol?

FlashBolt
12-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Chicago also wanted T-Mac.

THE_LOGO
12-18-2017, 08:50 PM
For what its worth, Jerry Buss nixed the idea (but it was Jerry Buss that wanted Magic Johnson while Jerry West wanted to draft someone else). Of course EJ didn't work out either and was traded for Glen Rice. How sick would that have been with Kobe and T-Mac? Of course, one could argue that could either of them develop the way they did and co-existed? Point is, Jerry West may not have been able to pull that trade but he's top notch as talent evaluator.

Heediot
12-19-2017, 01:18 AM
For what its worth, Jerry Buss nixed the idea (but it was Jerry Buss that wanted Magic Johnson while Jerry West wanted to draft someone else). Of course EJ didn't work out either and was traded for Glen Rice. How sick would that have been with Kobe and T-Mac? Of course, one could argue that could either of them develop the way they did and co-existed? Point is, Jerry West may not have been able to pull that trade but he's top notch as talent evaluator.
Never mind lolol

Sly Guy
12-19-2017, 01:31 AM

ewing
12-19-2017, 01:41 AM
the knicks wanted to trade shandon anderson for Kobe

Pierzynski4Prez
12-19-2017, 01:49 AM
28 other GMs also wanted the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaDe03
12-19-2017, 01:54 AM
I want to trade Derrick Rose for Kawhi.

Jamiecballer
12-19-2017, 02:05 AM
Hypotheticals are great and all but we sorta already saw how that would have played out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
12-19-2017, 03:06 AM
I want to trade Derrick Rose for Kawhi.

I want to trade Carmelo for a piece of rock.

Chronz
12-19-2017, 04:55 AM
Hypotheticals are great and all but we sorta already saw how that would have played out

Not even close

Heediot
12-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Eddie Jones was a very good Laker. He made a few all star teams and was one of the better shooting guard defenders and SG's in general at the time. He was traded because of fit. Him and Kobe were prototype SG's as small ball and positionless basketball was less preva;ent. There were still tweeners of course including TMac and Glen Rice (whom EJ was traded for). Rice was the better fit in a sense around Kobe and Shaq because he was the better pure shooter and a better fit playing the 3. Jones was still the better Laker when looking back even if he didn't win a title. A Jones/TMac/Shaq would have had the same amount of success barring health. Eddie was one of favorite players growing up. Fringe allstar who could defend and score. I think he worked out for a 10th overall pick. Kobe just made him redundant and his skills less needed.

lakers squad
12-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Eddie Jones was a very good Laker. He made a few all star teams and was one of the better shooting guard defenders and SG's in general at the time. He was traded because of fit. Him and Kobe were prototype SG's as small ball and positionless basketball was less preva;ent. There were still tweeners of course including TMac and Glen Rice (whom EJ was traded for). Rice was the better fit in a sense around Kobe and Shaq because he was the better pure shooter and a better fit playing the 3. Jones was still the better Laker when looking back even if he didn't win a title. A Jones/TMac/Shaq would have had the same amount of success barring health. Eddie was one of favorite players growing up. Fringe allstar who could defend and score. I think he worked out for a 10th overall pick. Kobe just made him redundant and his skills less needed.

The deal would have been Jones for tmac's draft rights, So it would have been a team featuring Kobe/tmac/Shaq if the deal had been completed, but buss did not want to set the team back a couple years waiting for tmac to develop, they already had a young Kobe develping and trading for another rookie would pre long the title chase, and Buss wanted to hurry up and chase that next chip!

europagnpilgrim
12-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Just goes to show you how super dumb the Sixers front office was sitting there with 2nd overall pick and a 21yr old Iverson right there for the pairing, but they had to **** it up and take slow footed VanHorn and built a **** squad around a young AI when you think about how they had the 2nd and 8th picks in consecutive years in 97/98

at least J West knows that you get talent and take it from there, worry about the pieces fitting later when you can get high end premium talent, TMac was a beast coming out, he was getting compared to Magic Johnson but with a ''jumpshot'' coming into the NBA and more athletic

see how that works, he had that jumpshot coming into the league on a much higher level than Magic did coming in and West knew how much of a overall player/athlete TMac was at that early stage, similar to my supreme GM skills, well my eye test skills more so

europagnpilgrim
12-19-2017, 10:06 AM

At first he made Kobe redundant, backed up Jones for years

Kobe didn't full time start until his 4th season, that's what amazes me about all this fake overkill hype about certain players

I don't care at what age you enter the league because Amare came straight out HS beasting on the block and he is not in nobody top 20 players list ever, longevity doesn't sway me because watching something for 10yrs is about enough to know what a player is and not, same with Al Harrington and others, good player but never thought he was franchise, KG was a diff. animal to me coming into the league, I knew he would be one of the best ever

E Jones was a good player, nothing special, even if he had won 5 rings with the Lakers he wouldn't have been nothing special but I have a feeling he would be ranked a lot higher just for having 5 dumb rings to put on his fingers then he would probably sell them after he retires and see that they aren't really worth like they pretended when playing for titles,go figure

like watching Lebron in his 15th season is not amazing to me like others drool and scream about it, he did that his rookie year and then some for years and years, its routine and expected from my point of view and when he declines I wont hold that against him because its bound to happen, just like when Kobe seemed like he could play forever until that one moment and boom, its all over

Jamiecballer
12-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Not even closeTmac didn't want to take a backseat to Vince what makes you think he'd want to do it for Kobe.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2017, 03:37 PM
I wanted to trade Rashad McCants for LeBron.

I have updated my resume, if anyone knows any GM's looking for the type of brain I showed with my trade proposal, please forward..

Chronz
12-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Tmac didn't want to take a backseat to Vince what makes you think he'd want to do it for Kobe.

Because he would do it for Shaq. Like he wanted to for hill and Yao. Plus he wanted out of Toronto more than anything. Even with that, its still not even close considering their ages lmfao

Chronz
12-19-2017, 04:19 PM
At first he made Kobe redundant, backed up Jones for years

Kobe didn't full time start until his 4th season, that's what amazes me about all this fake overkill hype about certain players

I don't care at what age you enter the league because Amare came straight out HS beasting on the block and he is not in nobody top 20 players list ever, longevity doesn't sway me because watching something for 10yrs is about enough to know what a player is and not, same with Al Harrington and others, good player but never thought he was franchise, KG was a diff. animal to me coming into the league, I knew he would be one of the best ever

E Jones was a good player, nothing special, even if he had won 5 rings with the Lakers he wouldn't have been nothing special but I have a feeling he would be ranked a lot higher just for having 5 dumb rings to put on his fingers then he would probably sell them after he retires and see that they aren't really worth like they pretended when playing for titles,go figure

like watching Lebron in his 15th season is not amazing to me like others drool and scream about it, he did that his rookie year and then some for years and years, its routine and expected from my point of view and when he declines I wont hold that against him because its bound to happen, just like when Kobe seemed like he could play forever until that one moment and boom, its all over

Amare sucked outside the paint when he came in and wasn't exactly a post player either. He got way better. Kobe could've put up 20 year one, he just had a contending team

JasonJohnHorn
12-19-2017, 09:52 PM
This enforces him as the greatest GM of all time because he didn't get it done lol?

Great GM's get undercut by their owners and coaches all the time.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Carter and Jones would've been cool too.

LA4life24/8
12-20-2017, 10:46 AM
That woulda been pretty awesome. Lots of what if trades over the years for sure.

But a kobe tmac shaq? Then GP+malone in 2004? Lmao. An entire starting line up of hof'ers. Prolly woulda won in 2004. But if they didn't trading Shaq woulda hurt less having kobe and tmac still there.

What yall think, after 2004 had they still lost would they still trade Shaq at that point? Or would they trade kobe, since they still had tmac.

warfelg
12-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Sixers turned down Larry Hughes for TMac. :(

AI
McKie
TMac
Coleman
Ratliff
With Snow and Bowen and Nazir Mohammad on the bench

SirSkyHook
12-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Honestly pre Kobe i loved Eddie Jones. He was decent on defense, great in the open court and a decent three point shooter, but in no way was he a star and most unbiased Lakes fans would agree Kobe should have started with him or ahead of him. How many people remember Kobe being called the "Minute Man"? he was scoring like 15pts in fifteen minutes or so back than, but that's neither hear or there. Point is as much as I like Jones, it sucks to hear not only did he stand in front of Kobe, but he could have been delt for T-mac too! I mean i get it and Tracy wasn't proven, but when Jerry "The Eye" West says lets make some moves, you do it without blinking lol

Jamiecballer
12-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Because he would do it for Shaq. Like he wanted to for hill and Yao. Plus he wanted out of Toronto more than anything. Even with that, its still not even close considering their ages lmfaoYou couldn't be more full of **** with this post if you tried.

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2017, 05:25 PM
I wanted to trade Rashad McCants for LeBron.

I have updated my resume, if anyone knows any GM's looking for the type of brain I showed with my trade proposal, please forward..

People keep saying this, but Eddie Jones was an All-Star, and T-Mac was a prep-to-pros kid who hadn't yet been draft. Trading an All-Star for a 17-year-old is not the same as trading a bench player for a proven MVP. It is a false equivalency.

We are talking about a trade that would have went down had the Laker's management approved it; not some dream trade where somebody is trading Scott Hasting for Michael Jordan.

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2017, 05:28 PM

He got it done from the reports; his owner simply didn't have faith in him. Bus shot it down.

GMs get undercut by owners all the time. Dumars, for example, wanted to hold onto Detroit's cap space for a season, but his owner told him to spend it that year (when they signed Gordon and Charlie-V). Dumars got the only guys willing to come. Bad choice. Now he gets $#!T on for doing something he didn't want to do in the first place because the owner who wouldn't listen to him was stupid.

That's on Bus; not West.

Chronz
12-20-2017, 07:40 PM
You couldn't be more full of **** with this post if you tried.

Based on what. Facts stats and history agree with chronz

Jamiecballer
12-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Based on what. Facts stats and history agree with chronzBased on what are you suggesting mcgrady wanted to take a back seat for shaq?

And voting yao and Grant hill does not support your case at all. 25ppg or not Hill was not an alpha in the least. He was the kind of guy who reluctantly carried the scoring load. Mac was a supremely confident individual I don't believe for a minute McGrady saw Grant Hill as a threat to his ascension. And you should know better than to bring bigs into this. There is plentry of room for a high usage ball handling guard and a low post big to both dominate the game. It's not the same as competition for the ball and spots on the floor like two wings. Not at all. And the only example we have from tmacs history we have he was known to have wanted out of vc's shadow. He believed - rightly so, that he should have been that guy taking those shots.

JasonJohnHorn
12-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Tmac didn't want to take a backseat to Vince what makes you think he'd want to do it for Kobe.

He was on the record saying, very early, that Kobe was the player he wanted to play with most. In TO, he was asked point blank: would you rather play with VC or Kobe. And his response was something along the lines of "Don't do that to me. Don't make me answer that."

And there is a difference between taking a backseat to somebody who you've been around longer than, and who you think you are better than, and playing behind somebody who has been around longer than you (even if by only a year) and who you see as the best talent in the league.

That said.. this is a fair point... I think if they were developing at the same time on the same team, T-Mac would have been frustrated playing with Kobe if Kobe got more ball, and vice versa.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Wasn't Jones and Campbell traded for Rice? Lakers should of chased TMAC instead.

mrblisterdundee
12-23-2017, 04:04 PM
I hear the Blazers are hoping to offload Turner for George.