PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Boozer is retired: What could have changed his HOF prospects?

JasonJohnHorn
12-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Boozer is officially retired. I don't think that the HOF is likely, but it could have been had his career trajectory gone a little differently.

Had he stayed in Cleveland, for example, he may have earned a ring with LBJ.

Had he chosen a team other than Chicago, could have had a better shot at winning? Had D-Will stayed in Utah? Or had Utah drafted CP3 instead of D-Will?

As it stands, Boozer is a two-time All-Star, averaged 20/10 in his prime, never averaged less than double digits in his career, or less than 6.8 boards. Shot over .500 on his career.

Could Boozer have gotten into the NBA with a slightly different career path? What do you think of him on the whole?

WaDe03
12-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Hol dat!!!

Vee-Rex
12-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Glad he never got a ring.

I met him one time in 2003 when I was 16 years old and worked at Steak-N-Shake. He was a douchebag and had an attitude at people who waved and said hello.

mightybosstone
12-18-2017, 05:52 PM
If he stays in Cleveland and wins some titles as a legitimate No. 2 with Lebron, I could have seen him having an outside shot at a Hall of Fame career. Or if he and DWill both stay in Utah and stay healthy, possibly making some deeper runs in the playoffs, maybe he's got a shot then.

But, honestly, I just don't think the guy was a Hall of Fame-caliber talent. He had three seasons in Utah where he hovered around 20/11 with solid scoring efficiency and advanced stats. But otherwise, he was more of a 17/9 guy. Also, he had his fair share of injuries, and he declined pretty significantly once he hit his 30s. The guy hasn't played a game of NBA basketball since 2015. And without excellent longevity, he simply wasn't a good enough player at his peak to have been in the Hall of Fame.

All that being said, he was still a damn fine NBA player who was probably a top 15-20 guy at his peak. And he probably cracks my top 5 least favorite Jazz players of all-time list, which is hard to do considering how much I have loathed the Jazz over the years.

Scoots
12-18-2017, 05:57 PM
He was a me-first *** and a liar and should not have had the level of success he managed.

COOLbeans
12-18-2017, 07:31 PM
He wasnt good enough. Always seemed like a limited player with limited ability.

Firefistus
12-18-2017, 08:01 PM
He was made of glass, that didn't help.

JordansBulls
12-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Boozer is officially retired. I don't think that the HOF is likely, but it could have been had his career trajectory gone a little differently.

Had he chosen a team other than Chicago, could have had a better shot at winning? Had D-Will stayed in Utah? Or had Utah drafted CP3 instead of D-Will?

As it stands, Boozer is a two-time All-Star, averaged 20/10 in his prime, never averaged less than double digits in his career, or less than 6.8 boards. Shot over .500 on his career.

Could Boozer have gotten into the NBA with a slightly different career path? What do you think of him on the whole?

He would never had become a star playing next to Lebron. Him and Deron in Utah would have been best for both of them with Sloan there.

YAALREADYKNO
12-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Was never really a fan of his but he was a solid allstar caliber player (which isn't bad) but he wasn't gonna lead you to anything

Scoots
12-18-2017, 10:22 PM
He would never had become a star playing next to Lebron. Him and Deron in Utah would have been best for both of them with Sloan there.

Sloan WAS there ... they are what drove him away

cmellofan15
12-19-2017, 02:03 AM
If he was a lot better at basketball he could have had a shot

Sly Guy
12-19-2017, 02:07 AM
that hairline was already legendary.

ewing
12-19-2017, 02:12 AM
I didn't read this

IKnowHoops
12-19-2017, 02:43 AM
If he was a lot better at basketball he could have had a shot

Exactly. Even though NBA hall of fame is a bit odd, Boozer is not good enough.

FlashBolt
12-19-2017, 02:54 AM
If Boozer makes the HOF, they might as well abolish the entire thing and start over. Boozer's success was mainly from a playmaker getting him into the right spots. He wasn't ever capable of leading a team. You can't find or trust the guy when you need a play the most.

Also, here's what he said when LeBron (2003) was coming to the team:

"we have players better than him at the same position."

What an absolute idiot, lol.

mikekhelxD
12-19-2017, 03:23 AM
If Boozer makes the HOF, they might as well abolish the entire thing and start over. Boozer's success was mainly from a playmaker getting him into the right spots. He wasn't ever capable of leading a team. You can't find or trust the guy when you need a play the most.

Meh. They did have Ricky Davis playing the 2/3 at the time and he did say that LBJ's potential is unlimited sooo...

mikekhelxD
12-19-2017, 03:33 AM
that hairline was already legendary.

His hair spray paint was more legendary

JasonJohnHorn
12-19-2017, 10:28 AM

There was a little more context to that quote. Firstly, he was talking about that moment. He followed that up by saying 'the sky's the limit' for LeBron. You gotta remember he was talking about a 17 or 18 year old kid playing against a 24-year-old NBA vet. He simply stated that guys they had at that moment were better at that time. Now... even that was wrong admittedly, but to say that an NBA vet who just posted a 20/5/5 season was likely a better player than a 18-year-old high school kid doesn't sound silly on paper, especially when you also concede that the kid's talent (LBJ in this case) puts his potential sky high.

First, he's backing up his teammates. Let's imagine you are Harrison Barnes and you are playing at the Olympics and all your GSW teammates are talking to KD about coming to the team. How's that make you feel? Most teammates will support the guys on their roster. The guys they've played with.

That said... he was also playing with a young Ricky Davis at the time, who had immense potential (that never panned out). Davis (a SF/SG) just came off a season where he posted about 20/5/5/1.5 shooting 36% from the arc and 40% inside (no terribly impressive). LBJ posted about the same as a rookie.

People take sound bites like that and take them out of context to get a headline. Boozer was wrong in that instance, but he was essentially comparing a vet who posted 20/5/5 to a teenaged high school player who'd never played a game in the NBA, and before LBJ, a straight-from-high-school player had never played as well as LBJ played as a rookie. So... in context... that is not a 'crazy-he's-clearly-an-idiot' quote.

LBJ broke the mould.

Tg11
12-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Best thing for him would have been for him to stay in Cleveland...could have actually did more good than harm

basch152
12-19-2017, 11:19 AM
isn't c-webb still not in the hall? boozer can't even hold Webb's jock.

he is no where near being in the hof.

FlashBolt
12-19-2017, 09:51 PM
There was a little more context to that quote. Firstly, he was talking about that moment. He followed that up by saying 'the sky's the limit' for LeBron. You gotta remember he was talking about a 17 or 18 year old kid playing against a 24-year-old NBA vet. He simply stated that guys they had at that moment were better at that time. Now... even that was wrong admittedly, but to say that an NBA vet who just posted a 20/5/5 season was likely a better player than a 18-year-old high school kid doesn't sound silly on paper, especially when you also concede that the kid's talent (LBJ in this case) puts his potential sky high.

First, he's backing up his teammates. Let's imagine you are Harrison Barnes and you are playing at the Olympics and all your GSW teammates are talking to KD about coming to the team. How's that make you feel? Most teammates will support the guys on their roster. The guys they've played with.

That said... he was also playing with a young Ricky Davis at the time, who had immense potential (that never panned out). Davis (a SF/SG) just came off a season where he posted about 20/5/5/1.5 shooting 36% from the arc and 40% inside (no terribly impressive). LBJ posted about the same as a rookie.

People take sound bites like that and take them out of context to get a headline. Boozer was wrong in that instance, but he was essentially comparing a vet who posted 20/5/5 to a teenaged high school player who'd never played a game in the NBA, and before LBJ, a straight-from-high-school player had never played as well as LBJ played as a rookie. So... in context... that is not a 'crazy-he's-clearly-an-idiot' quote.

LBJ broke the mould.

Therefore, you kinda proved my point. Boozer made a really stupid comment when he shouldn't have even went there considering how bad that team was that they even got the lottery pick. Boozer opening his mouth showed you the type of character you are dealing with.

valade16
12-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Didn't he promise Cleveland he would re-sign with them if they let him become a FA and then he left them for Utah or something?

JAZZNC
12-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Boozer was a top notch "Let's go" yeller. Quite possibly top 10 all time.

Vee-Rex
12-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Didn't he promise Cleveland he would re-sign with them if they let him become a FA and then he left them for Utah or something?

Yep, that's exactly how it happened. He convinced Gund and Paxson that he would re-sign if they got rid of the team option (600,000) and he bolted to Utah.

I heard that when Utah's offer sheet became known, he refused to answer any phone calls from reputable guys (like coach K) because he knew they would try to convince him not to do it.

What a scumbag.

Saddletramp
12-20-2017, 12:43 AM
**** Carlos Boozer.

mrblisterdundee
12-20-2017, 01:59 AM
Being able to shoot and defend would have helped. But he was a rich douchebag, so let's all rejoice in his competitive failure.

rhino17
12-20-2017, 03:33 AM
At no point in his career was Carlos Boozer a hall of fame level player

goingfor28
12-20-2017, 04:07 AM
I liked his painted on hair

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_in_content_image/boozer_nwwfao.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

prodigy
12-20-2017, 10:15 AM

I truly believe if he stayed on cavs, Cleveland would've won a title. Boozer was a real good player back in the day. Z, Boozer, Lebron. Heck of a team.

Hawkeye15
12-20-2017, 10:19 AM
I think if he would have had just 1 more neck roll, he would have a chance

WaDe03
12-20-2017, 11:44 AM
He punched a ref in the dick.

lol, please
12-20-2017, 11:50 AM
He punched a ref in the dick.How hard?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Chronz
12-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Yep, that's exactly how it happened. He convinced Gund and Paxson that he would re-sign if they got rid of the team option (600,000) and he bolted to Utah.

I heard that when Utah's offer sheet became known, he refused to answer any phone calls from reputable guys (like coach K) because he knew they would try to convince him not to do it.

What a scumbag.

Cleveland wasn't exactly trying to do him a favor either. They were trying to outsmart him too, they knew the risk in letting him go

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Cleveland wasn't exactly trying to do him a favor either. They were trying to outsmart him too, they knew the risk in letting him go

Bingo! I was bummed to see him leave Cleveland... but I thought: they had it coming. They were essentially trying to circumvent the salary cap. Dumb move. They paid for it.

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2017, 05:21 PM
Therefore, you kinda proved my point. Boozer made a really stupid comment when he shouldn't have even went there considering how bad that team was that they even got the lottery pick. Boozer opening his mouth showed you the type of character you are dealing with.

He's supporting the guys currently on his roster, and admitting to the potential of the player coming in. He underestimated LeBron, but LeBron is a guy who broke the mold. Hindsight is 20/20, and though I freely admit Boozer was wrong in that instance, it wasn't a 'moronic' thing to say: it simply was a misjudgement that was reasonable in context.

You said he was an 'absolute idiot'. That's pretty extreme. I'm saying there was some context to consider there, and that though wrong, it wasn't an 'idiotic' thing to say. We live in a world where people want to frame everything in black and white and put things in extremes by polarizing them.

"We got guys at the position who are better right now, but this kid's potential is the sky." Is that 'absolutely idiotic'? Or simply a subjectively poor judgement?

IndyRealist
12-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Exactly. Even though NBA hall of fame is a bit odd, Boozer is not good enough.

Probably because it's the basketball HOF and not the NBA HOF. People make it in with mediocre NBA resumes because they did so much internationally.

Vee-Rex
12-20-2017, 06:42 PM

The Cavs didn't betray him, though. He betrayed the Cavs. The team was trying to save money and took a big gamble based solely on Boozer's word.

I believe they could only offer Boozer 41 million at the time, whereas the Jazz were able to offer 68 million. He could've just played one more year out and earned 600k and then left the next year but instead decided to deceive the team and bolt to Utah. Stupid on the Cavs for sure - lesson learned, but they weren't being malicious about anything like Boozer was. Their hand was already shown.

valade16
12-21-2017, 12:03 AM
He's supporting the guys currently on his roster, and admitting to the potential of the player coming in. He underestimated LeBron, but LeBron is a guy who broke the mold. Hindsight is 20/20, and though I freely admit Boozer was wrong in that instance, it wasn't a 'moronic' thing to say: it simply was a misjudgement that was reasonable in context.

You said he was an 'absolute idiot'. That's pretty extreme. I'm saying there was some context to consider there, and that though wrong, it wasn't an 'idiotic' thing to say. We live in a world where people want to frame everything in black and white and put things in extremes by polarizing them.

"We got guys at the position who are better right now, but this kid's potential is the sky." Is that 'absolutely idiotic'? Or simply a subjectively poor judgement?

I think most people considered it a moronic thing to say back when he said it. Itís not like nobody saw Bron coming, he was the most hyped prospect in the history of basketball (certainly since back to Wilt or Kareemís day), and Ricky Davis wasnít considered a very good player or as somone who had a lot of untapped potential even at the time.

prodigy
12-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Ehh i don't consider that trying to out smart someone. It was a dumb move though. We all know loyalty don't exist. Dumb move by both parties.

kyubi256
12-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Honestly I didn't ever see him as HOF candidate. The guy had good stats but never really stood out

GiantsSwaGG
12-21-2017, 06:28 PM

What a scumbag.

You put the blame on Cleveland then for making an idiotic move.

Vee-Rex
12-21-2017, 06:52 PM
You put the blame on Cleveland then for making an idiotic move.

Right.

Blame the Cavs for being idiots, not for being malicious.

Shammyguy3
12-22-2017, 02:01 AM

What a scumbag.

The market value waa better for him than the Cavs thought. How is Boozer a scumbag if the Cavs made a bad move, and he capitalized on an extra 20 million? Thats not being a scumbag. Even if his intention was to leave Cleveland. He owed the Cavs nothing manl

I think if he would have had just 1 more neck roll, he would have a chance

Lmao

He punched a ref in the dick..i remember that!

Booz was a great teammate with the Bulls. Good player, very good in prime. Not HoF worthy

FlashBolt
12-22-2017, 03:38 AM

It is. Because your team stunk with that same player and you have a phenom coming in but because they felt LeBron was getting too much attention, their ego came up and they had to unconsciously, defend themselves. The context makes sense but you don't open your mouth and talk about your team having better players at that position when it is obvious the team sucked so bad that they were fortunate to get LeBron. It was just a moronic thing to say or do. Contextually, who cares? Do you think LeBron will go to Cedi and say, "hey, we have better players than you so we aren't going to need you to do that.?" It's unprofessional. just don't say anything. These are words that could destroy a locker room atmosphere.

ewing
12-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Probably because it's the basketball HOF and not the NBA HOF. People make it in with mediocre NBA resumes because they did so much internationally.

And they let in girls. Itís silly, the NBA should have its own Hall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archdevil84
12-22-2017, 10:00 AM
He punched a ref in the dick.

haha i remember seeing that live. it was so hilarious. He made an and 1 i believe and then went berserk celebration and accidently punched the ref in his balls hahahaa

FlashBolt
12-22-2017, 02:31 PM
And they let in girls. Itís silly, the NBA should have its own Hall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Co-sign. They should just do the entire thing again but just NBA/ABA players. A bunch of guys don't belong.. Like Chris Bosh will probably get in and there is no way this guy should.

prodigy
12-24-2017, 10:25 AM
The market value waa better for him than the Cavs thought. How is Boozer a scumbag if the Cavs made a bad move, and he capitalized on an extra 20 million? Thats not being a scumbag. Even if his intention was to leave Cleveland. He owed the Cavs nothing man

Agree completely cavs made a dumb move. But Boozer told them he would stay if they removed the 600,000. They did and he bolted lol. Thats def a scumbag dirty move. Really dumb for Cleveland to trust someone yes no argument from me. But super douche on Boozers part also. Boozer ended his career just like he came into it, a loser. While Lebron and the cavs have a ring now.

Shammyguy3
12-24-2017, 03:10 PM
Agree completely cavs made a dumb move. But Boozer told them he would stay if they removed the 600,000. They did and he bolted lol. Thats def a scumbag dirty move. Really dumb for Cleveland to trust someone yes no argument from me. But super douche on Boozers part also. Boozer ended his career just like he came into it, a loser. While Lebron and the cavs have a ring now.

So you think the conversation went like:

Boozer: "Remove the 600k and I will resign with you"
Cavs: "Even if another team offers you $20,000,000 extra than we will/could?"
Boozer: "Well of course!"

:eyebrow:

Jamiecballer
12-24-2017, 03:24 PM

What a scumbag.Yeah. I remember being really disgusted with that move at the time and it still holds up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

LaVar Ball
12-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Who?

lakerfan85
12-24-2017, 05:02 PM

He knows hoops...

Federal Reserve
12-24-2017, 07:02 PM
Boozer did not take the Jazz and Bulls to the next level. That was his ticket to the hall of fame.

prodigy
12-27-2017, 11:14 AM
So you think the conversation went like:

Boozer: "Remove the 600k and I will resign with you"
Cavs: "Even if another team offers you $20,000,000 extra than we will/could?"
Boozer: "Well of course!"

:eyebrow:

Well its a fact the conversation took place that Boozer said he would resign. Thats not opinion its a fact. Saying you will stay then leaving is horrible and douche. I'm not saying i disagree with him taking the money because thats a lot to pass up on. I'm saying giving a team ur word then leaving anyway shows ur true colors.

Shammyguy3
12-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Well its a fact the conversation took place that Boozer said he would resign. Thats not opinion its a fact. Saying you will stay then leaving is horrible and douche. I'm not saying i disagree with him taking the money because thats a lot to pass up on. I'm saying giving a team ur word then leaving anyway shows ur true colors.

If you told your boss that you aren't leaving, then get offered a position with another company for $60,000 instead of your annual $40,000 would you be a douche if you left?

Jamiecballer
12-27-2017, 01:03 PM
If you told your boss that you aren't leaving, then get offered a position with another company for $60,000 instead of your annual $40,000 would you be a douche if you left?

come on, you know the answer to this. did the boss release you from a contract first to give you more money?

FlashBolt
12-27-2017, 01:23 PM

You're not a douche but it's definitely not professional conduct. Kinda like what DJ did. You give your team your word and then go back on it = a no-no in the business world. Sure, you will lose out on that deal but reputation matters. I guess in the NBA where teams are willing to throw out money to anyone, it doesn't matter as much.

I mean, Boozer essentially lied to them. What if he knew the entire time he wanted to leave?

Vee-Rex
12-27-2017, 01:27 PM

That's a pretty terrible analogy.

Boozer's situation would be as if:

I can't leave my current employer until my contract is finished, but I lie and convince them that I'll re-sign with them if they void my current one then I bolt to another company.

^^much better reflection of those events

FlashBolt
12-27-2017, 01:30 PM

I can't leave my current employer until my contract is finished, but I lie and convince them that I'll re-sign with them if they void my current one then I bolt to another company.

"Hi boss, please revoke my contract and we can negotiate a new one for X amount. I will stay with you guys if we agree to an amount."

Boss revokes contract.

"Hi, I would like to work for you if you pay me higher than the new negotiated amount by my current employer."

Shammyguy3
12-27-2017, 05:53 PM

Why didnt Cleveland force him to sign an extension or contract before free agency? Im sorry but that is not a douche move by Booz, its a stupid stupid business decision

FlashBolt
12-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Why didnt Cleveland force him to sign an extension or contract before free agency? Im sorry but that is not a douche move by Booz, its a stupid stupid business decision

That is moot. It wasn't a stupid business decision because Cleveland was at that point, salary restricted and couldn't offer more than they would like. What matters is that Cleveland wouldn't have let Boozer become a restricted free agent if they knew he was leaving.. why would they not pay him the $600,000? And they did offer him an extension.. a six year one but Boozer got a better offer from Utah and dipped. Boozer had all the reason to want to leave and become a restricted free agent. There is more money involved and he played his cards right. On the other hand, he didn't fulfill his end that he promised.

prodigy
12-28-2017, 11:52 AM

He and his agent knew what was out there before Boozer gave his word to Cleveland. I mean common lol.

Jamiecballer
12-31-2017, 12:40 PM

well that's because it's not an analogy it's an exact description of what happened right :)

Shammyguy3
12-31-2017, 02:09 PM
He and his agent knew what was out there before Boozer gave his word to Cleveland. I mean common lol.

If it was common knowledge, then that's an even dumber decision by Cleveland

KnickNyKnick
12-31-2017, 02:20 PM
would have been HOF if his last name didnt rhyme with Loser. or as if hes a drunk or something

Chronz
01-01-2018, 02:06 PM

They couldn't afford it and tried to trick boozer by rewarding him a bigger contract now but sacrificing millions down the road

Not sure if this was before during or after the Gilbert arenas rule

Scoots
01-01-2018, 02:22 PM
They couldn't afford it and tried to trick boozer by rewarding him a bigger contract now but sacrificing millions down the road

Not sure if this was before during or after the Gilbert arenas rule

Boozer wasn't getting tricked ... it wasn't Boozer they were negotiating with but his agent, but it was Boozer who agreed to come back on a new contract in return for them paying him a lot more than they had to the next year. He made more by leaving, but had he not lied the would have been paid a LOT less the next year. Boozer is a fraud as a person and was wildly over-rated as a player.

Chronz
01-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Boozer wasn't getting tricked ... it wasn't Boozer they were negotiating with but his agent, but it was Boozer who agreed to come back on a new contract in return for them paying him a lot more than they had to the next year. He made more by leaving, but had he not lied the would have been paid a LOT less the next year. Boozer is a fraud as a person and was wildly over-rated as a player.

Of course he wasn't getting tricked, he wasn't falling for that ****. You expect me to believe the Cavs were doing this out of the goodness of their collective heart? Lmfao pass on that theory. I'll stick to my post for now

Saddletramp
01-02-2018, 05:21 AM
If it was common knowledge, then that's an even dumber decision by Cleveland

Nobody said it was common knowledge. I'm not sure if Boozer and his agent knew of the offer before he got them to decline the option but I'm sure they happily took Utah's phone calls after they knew they gave their word to re-sign in Cleveland.

Yeah, he's a scumbag. Not only for this, either.

Scoots
01-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Of course he wasn't getting tricked, he wasn't falling for that ****. You expect me to believe the Cavs were doing this out of the goodness of their collective heart? Lmfao pass on that theory. I'll stick to my post for now

No, but I believe the Cavs were leveraging a positive for themselves with a positive for Boozer. Boozer agreed, then screwed them over.

WaDe03
01-02-2018, 01:35 PM
How hard?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

The punch or the refs dick? The punch was pretty hard, he swung his fist to celebrate and didn't know the ref the was there. Look it up on YouTube lol!

valade16
01-02-2018, 03:59 PM

There's a difference between not falling for it and then agreeing to it and bolting. The honorable thing to do would have been to say that he would take the best offer if he were made a restricted FA. I can't imagine the Cavs would have made him a restricted FA without some conveyed belief from Boozer or his camp that he would sign their offer. Given that, it seems he did something to convince them to make him a restricted FA and then bolted.

You can chalk it up to him outplaying the Cavs, but if that is true, he was at the very least as shady as they were (if not more so).