PDA

View Full Version : If you were starting a franchise today who would you take between LeBron and Giannis?

basketfan4life
12-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Comments are welcomed.

Tg11
12-15-2017, 02:54 PM
LeBron easily and it isn't even a question of who I would take...LeBron every single time he is as close to all time great as there has been he is a once in a lifetime athlete think Kobe think Jordan that is why I would go with LeBron

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 02:58 PM
I'll take the guy who at his fifteen season, is still the best player in the NBA.

Jamiecballer
12-15-2017, 02:59 PM
i assume the question is based on lebron today going forward or giannis today going forward. in that case i'll take lebron.

basketfan4life
12-15-2017, 03:02 PM
LeBron easily and it isn't even a question of who I would take...LeBron every single time he is as close to all time great as there has been he is a once in a lifetime athlete think Kobe think Jordan that is why I would go with LeBron

10 years of age difference makes it at least a question, i guess.

Raidaz4Life
12-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Giannis easily

Tg11
12-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Giannis is great without question but is he up there with LeBron as far as all time great? No he isn't...LeBron is a once in a lifetime athlete he is a superstar...Giannis is a star very big difference Giannis is a star who has potential to become a superstar he isn't there yet but with time he can be

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 03:06 PM
10 years of age difference makes it at least a question, i guess.

Giannis has a lot to learn while LeBron is instant title competitor right now. His experience/improved shooting is something Giannis hasn't come close to touching. Right now, all Giannis has on LeBron is just his length. I wouldn't even say he is more athletic because leBron has that type of strength and speed that Giannis doesn't really have either.

lol, please
12-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Giannis easily but because of the intangibles - he's never quit on and betrayed the franchise that drafted him after promising them a title. He's a true leader.

mngopher35
12-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Giannis for me due to his age

Tg11
12-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Giannis easily but because of the intangibles - he's never quit on and betrayed the franchise that drafted him after promising them a title. He's a true leader.

Yeah Giannis is a true leader but will he or has he led Milwaukee to a title to a championship? He hasn't done that but who knows with time he could but at the same time Giannis is talented I will give him that the team he has built around him is talented as well but they haven't played to their full potential

basketfan4life
12-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Giannis has a lot to learn while LeBron is instant title competitor right now. His experience/improved shooting is something Giannis hasn't come close to touching. Right now, all Giannis has on LeBron is just his length. I wouldn't even say he is more athletic because leBron has that type of strength and speed that Giannis doesn't really have either.

With having a lot to learn at such a young age he is still going 30-10-5. LeBron is an unbelieveable player, top 5 all time easily right now. But Giannis has a chance to be a unique supreme player of his own and has a larger span for winning. So i can not decide.

Vee-Rex
12-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Depends on competition.

If the Olympic Warriors are around then I'm taking Giannis. He'll come into his prime just as they fall out of theirs.

LeBron is an instant title contender but let's be real: unless you're able to surround him with enough talent, he's not beating 20 superstars on one team.

Vee-Rex
12-15-2017, 03:13 PM
take away Kevin Durant and I just might go with LeBron. He bends over 73 win teams.

basketfan4life
12-15-2017, 03:14 PM

don't trol the thread please.

Bostonjorge
12-15-2017, 03:14 PM
James is a better player today and itís his 15th season. Greek only has his team up 1 game on Olidpo and the Pacers. Thatís not impressive enough to be compared to James.

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 03:16 PM
I'd really take Giannis because of age and what we know of Lebron is thus far, he's much more likely to leave than Giannis is.

Lebron is no doubt the better player but how many years of Lebron am I actually going to get?

mngopher35
12-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Depends on competition.

If the Olympic Warriors are around then I'm taking Giannis. He'll come into his prime just as they fall out of theirs.

LeBron is an instant title contender but let's be real: unless you're able to surround him with enough talent, he's not beating 20 superstars on one team.

Ya I assumed it was based on the teams now. Warriors are around so take the young guy unless you know you get to choose 2-3 other stars lol.

Tg11
12-15-2017, 03:18 PM
I'd really take Giannis because of age and what we know of Lebron is thus far, he's much more likely to leave than Giannis is.

Lebron is no doubt the better player but how many years of Lebron am I actually going to get?

5 more years give or take because LeBron is what 32, 33 years old he is in his prime right now but even in his prime he is still giving folks the business in the NBA so how could you not pick him over Giannis

basketfan4life
12-15-2017, 03:24 PM
5 more years give or take because LeBron is what 32, 33 years old he is in his prime right now but even in his prime he is still giving folks the business in the NBA so how could you not pick him over Giannis

He is even getting better. That is unbelievable.

Tg11
12-15-2017, 03:27 PM

How many athletes not just in the game of basketball but in any pro sport whether it be hockey, football, etc. get better in their 15th season and beyond? That is unheard of and LeBron is doing it because that is just who LeBron is he is not only special he has surpassed special he has surpassed being great he is greatness itself

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 03:31 PM
With having a lot to learn at such a young age he is still going 30-10-5. LeBron is an unbelieveable player, top 5 all time easily right now. But Giannis has a chance to be a unique supreme player of his own and has a larger span for winning. So i can not decide.

I mean, how long are we signing these players?

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 03:32 PM

As I said, not just age, but thus far Lebron has proven he's much more likely to Bolt.

Like if i'm starting a franchise, it's basically 3-4 years of Lebron vs 7-8 possible years of Giannis.

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 03:41 PM
As I said, not just age, but thus far Lebron has proven he's much more likely to Bolt.

Like if i'm starting a franchise, it's basically 3-4 years of Lebron vs 7-8 possible years of Giannis.

Not really fair when you don't know the answer to Giannis leaving or staying. Years of losing at the highest level will change everything. LeBron left to Miami at like what? age 25-26? Giannis has lots of years left before he gets to that. And it's still not even close to the pressure LeBron had to win a ring. If Giannis doesn't win one, honestly, no one cares.

Tg11
12-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Not really fair when you don't know the answer to Giannis leaving or staying. Years of losing at the highest level will change everything. LeBron left to Miami at like what? age 25-26? Giannis has lots of years left before he gets to that. And it's still not even close to the pressure LeBron had to win a ring. If Giannis doesn't win one, honestly, no one cares.

And with Giannis losing year after year I can definitely see him wanting to jump to a team to a situation where he can win a ring...that is how the NBA is nowadays it is not like the NBA of yesteryear

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 03:53 PM

And with Giannis losing year after year I can definitely see him wanting to jump to a team to a situation where he can win a ring...that is how the NBA is nowadays it is not like the NBA of yesteryear

While all true, if i'm starting an NBA franchise it's not guaranteed to be run like the Bucks. There's no precedent for Giannis, but there is for Lebron.

I do think 'at this time' Giannis is more likely to stay in 1 franchise longer than Lebron is if the starting franchise starting was run decently.

And to reiterate, i'm not questioning Lebron's talent here.

Tg11
12-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Okay but at the same time Giannis is young too and he hasn't really played to his full potential yet whereas LeBron has hell he has exceeded that potential and has been doing it consistently for 15 years mind you...hell LeBron he could even play up into his 40s if he wanted to because that is how talented LeBron is because you would have thought that Father Time would have caught up to LeBron right now but it hasn't...year 15 and he is still doing this at the highest level just goes to show you who you would want as the face of your franchise

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 04:01 PM
While all true, if i'm starting an NBA franchise it's not guaranteed to be run like the Bucks. There's no precedent for Giannis, but there is for Lebron.

I do think 'at this time' Giannis is more likely to stay in 1 franchise longer than Lebron is if the starting franchise starting was run decently.

And to reiterate, i'm not questioning Lebron's talent here.

How long are we talking about? a five year contract?

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 04:03 PM
All true, except Giannis has plenty of room to improve, why doesn't he improve with the team that drafted him and was competent (yes I know front office competancy is not guaranteed)?

Lebron is awesome, but due to age and how long he wishes to stick to 1 team, how long of the awesomeness is my team getting?

Tg11
12-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Yeah I will agree with you on that but then again if you are starting a franchise to build your franchise around 1 guy universally everyone would say LeBron in a heartbeat hell all 30 NBA teams if they could would say LeBron

More-Than-Most
12-15-2017, 04:26 PM
empty stat kevin love 2.0 vs arguably the goat? give me bron

Heediot
12-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Giannis. LeBron isn't beating GS the next 2-3 years. He'll be 35 or something if GS even declines and or faces luxury tax problems. You still have Giannis for the next 7 (or more) years to try and win something, if GS declines and Milwaukee keeps getting better.

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 04:28 PM
LeBron at Giannis's age was in the NBA Finals vs the Spurs. It's not even close who is better at any age.

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 04:33 PM
LeBron at Giannis's age was in the NBA Finals vs the Spurs. It's not even close who is better at any age.

Who's arguing who's better? If i'm starting a franchise I want a superstar who's gonna stay around for a long time, hopefully.

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 04:38 PM
Who's arguing who's better? If i'm starting a franchise I want a superstar who's gonna stay around for a long time, hopefully.

It's to show the difference. Giannis is putting up great numbers but he's not even close to LeBron at any level. So to say he'll get better, do you see Giannis being better than LeBron at 24-25-26-27? I don't. And I do think LeBron in these next three years will still be better than he was in those years.

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 04:40 PM

It's to show the difference. Giannis is putting up great numbers but he's not even close to LeBron at any level. So to say he'll get better, do you see Giannis being better than LeBron at 24-25-26-27? I don't. And I do think LeBron in these next three years will still be better than he was in those years.

What about Giannis at age 28, 29, 30, 31? At which point Lebron will be age 38, 39, 40, 41 (and again that's even if Lebron is still on my team at that point).

I'm again thinking more than 4 years here.

Tg11
12-15-2017, 04:40 PM

Couldn't have said it any better myself

nastynice
12-15-2017, 04:41 PM
take away Kevin Durant and I just might go with LeBron. He bends over 73 win teams.

More like we were pinned down by the league

A proper bending over would be going 16-1 where the one loss came in a game where we saw arguably the most clearly biased reffed half in an nba finals ever. Donít forget, that includes a team with arguably the greatest player of all time. Now that called bending something over :)

Just YouTube the last minute of game 3 if you want the movie version to my story.. ;)

nastynice
12-15-2017, 04:42 PM

Itís more a chronological thing than a whoís better thing

Seriously, not every answer has to be lebron.

nastynice
12-15-2017, 04:44 PM

Yes, this is the one X factor in the whole argument

Heís kinda like the spurs in that regard

Tg11
12-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Yeah no matter how much time passes by no matter how much years go by LeBron continues to elevate himself at a high level and really how could you not want that man leading your franchise if you are starting a franchise? He is like the closest thing to Kobe and Jordan of our generation

nastynice
12-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Yeah no matter how much time passes by no matter how much years go by LeBron continues to elevate himself at a high level and really how could you not want that man leading your franchise if you are starting a franchise? He is like the closest thing to Kobe and Jordan of our generation

Forget the accolades n awards, if we were to just erase everything outside the court and just watch each player, Lebron is AT WORST tied for the best player to ever play this game.

He was already legitimately in the goat convo before this year. This year is IMO his best year. He is currently at his peak. Meaning he was in the goat convo BEFORE HE EVEN HIT HIS PEAK! lol, itís unreal, but **** it man, enjoy the show

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 04:58 PM
What about Giannis at age 28, 29, 30, 31? At which point Lebron will be age 38, 39, 40, 41 (and again that's even if Lebron is still on my team at that point).

I'm again thinking more than 4 years here.

So we're talking about like 8 years? I'd probably go with Giannis but LeBron's probably retired by then so I'm not sure how you would quantify that. It would mean you could sign another star.

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 04:58 PM
So we're talking about like 8 years? I'd probably go with Giannis but LeBron's probably retired by then so I'm not sure how you would quantify that. It would mean you could sign another star.

Well if you are starting a franchise wouldn't you be thinking about holding on to a player over more than 4 years as your cornerstone?

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Well if you are starting a franchise wouldn't you be thinking about holding on to a player over more than 4 years as your cornerstone?

Can't we just get another star when LeBron gets old/retire then? Can't we get a set contract or else this would be full of hypotheticals.

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Can't we just get another star when LeBron gets old/retire then? Can't we get a set contract or else this would be full of hypotheticals.

Ok, so Lebron is off your team now. You are without a superstar, how are you going to attract Free Agents? Be realistic here.

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Ok, so Lebron is off your team now. You are without a superstar, how are you going to attract Free Agents? Be realistic here.

It's the same thing if Giannis is a free agent.. there isn't an 8 year contract. So this is all moot because Giannis could just as much get tired of Milwaukee not winning that he leaves. Way too many hypotheticals at that point.

Vampirate
12-15-2017, 05:15 PM
It's the same thing if Giannis is a free agent.. there isn't an 8 year contract. So this is all moot because Giannis could just as much get tired of Milwaukee not winning that he leaves. Way too many hypotheticals at that point.

Well again if i'm starting a new franchise, it isn't the Bucks. I'm also leaning that there is a higher chance Giannis is on my team after 4 years than Lebron is. I'm betting my odds on it.

Also, does Lebron even do 4 year contracts anymore, he's like on a annual 1 year thing it seems.

Yanks All Day
12-15-2017, 05:26 PM
It would be LeBron James, and the decision wouldn't be particularly hard. The only thing that could make me reconsider is how we define "starting a franchise." Do I get the player for 3-5 years? Or are we talking 7-8 years minimum? If it's 5 years or fewer, I'm taking LeBron James.

Giannis is going to give you more athleticism and better defense at this point in his career, but there's literally nothing he delivers offensively that's better than LeBron. He's still an inferior player, and LeBron plays a style of basketball that can age very well. When he's not scoring 28 points per game, he can settle into a point guard role and average 12-13 assists per game if he wanted to. On top of that, you get one of the best recruiters in basketball. Players go to play with LeBron James. It's a guaranteed trip to the Finals with probably one of the 3-5 most popular athletes on the planet. It's too much of a draw. We haven't seen that with Giannis yet. So if it's a short term thing, I wouldn't hesitate to pick LeBron.

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 05:39 PM
It would be LeBron James, and the decision wouldn't be particularly hard. The only thing that could make me reconsider is how we define "starting a franchise." Do I get the player for 3-5 years? Or are we talking 7-8 years minimum? If it's 5 years or fewer, I'm taking LeBron James.

Giannis is going to give you more athleticism and better defense at this point in his career, but there's literally nothing he delivers offensively that's better than LeBron. He's still an inferior player, and LeBron plays a style of basketball that can age very well. When he's not scoring 28 points per game, he can settle into a point guard role and average 12-13 assists per game if he wanted to. On top of that, you get one of the best recruiters in basketball. Players go to play with LeBron James. It's a guaranteed trip to the Finals with probably one of the 3-5 most popular athletes on the planet. It's too much of a draw. We haven't seen that with Giannis yet. So if it's a short term thing, I wouldn't hesitate to pick LeBron.

That's my same concern. It would obviously depend on how many years we're supposed to have a player and we have no idea whether that player leaves in X years so it would be a better discussion if we could get a set amount of years. If it's under five years, I'd go with Bron, too. You get at least 2-3 years of peak LeBron and that's title contention. Giannis won't give you that.

IKnowHoops
12-15-2017, 05:42 PM
How many athletes not just in the game of basketball but in any pro sport whether it be hockey, football, etc. get better in their 15th season and beyond? That is unheard of and LeBron is doing it because that is just who LeBron is he is not only special he has surpassed special he has surpassed being great he is greatness itself

😂 Nice

lol, please
12-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Depends on competition.

LeBron is an instant title contender but let's be real: unless you're able to surround him with enough talent, he's not beating 20 superstars on one team.Wait for an opponent to get old instead of meeting prime challengers head on?

Manny Pacquiao is that you?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

mrblisterdundee
12-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Don't blame LeBron for the ownership's and front office's failings? LeBron gave more than enough to Cleveland before going to Miami. Gilbert just wasn't putting together a team that could actually win. Once LeBron actually tasted success, he came back to Cleveland and delivered.
Who knows what's going to happen with Giannis? He could easily leave after this contract, regardless of whatever "I'm committed to this franchise" comments he makes. It all depends on what type of team the front office and ownership build around him.

WaDe03
12-15-2017, 05:47 PM
empty stat kevin love 2.0 vs arguably the goat? give me bron

Are Embiid and Simmons putting up empty stats too since they're the 9th seed and Bucks are the 4th?

mrblisterdundee
12-15-2017, 05:47 PM
If I'm in win-now mode, LeBron. If I'm building for the long-term, Giannis.

Vee-Rex
12-15-2017, 05:49 PM
Wait for an opponent to get old instead of meeting prime challengers head on?

Floyd Mayweather is that you?

fixed that for you, fam

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Don't blame LeBron for the ownership's and front office's failings? LeBron gave more than enough to Cleveland before going to Miami. Gilbert just wasn't putting together a team that could actually win. Once LeBron actually tasted success, he came back to Cleveland and delivered.
Who knows what's going to happen with Giannis? He could easily leave after this contract, regardless of whatever "I'm committed to this franchise" comments he makes. It all depends on what type of team the front office and ownership build around him.

Yup. Easy to say you're committed when they just handed you the largest sum of money you've ever seen. Once you got the money and they start labeling you as someone who can't ever win, you'll leave. Look at KD. Social media is going to cause a lot of athletes to change teams. Back then, you could just go home and not buy a newspaper/don't turn on the T.V. Now? You'll get updates on your own phone calling you a choker, lmao.

fixed that for you, fam

He's a boxing fan but accuses Manny of picking and choosing when Manny was fighting guys much bigger than him in De la Hoya/Margarito. Old Manny is picking-and-choosing but it's because he's clearly too slow for the younger guys. I would hate to read his boxing takes. Probably includes the word wet often.

THE_LOGO
12-15-2017, 07:42 PM
So if by starting a franchise, you mean clean slate as in salary? Lebron easily. By himself, you're in contender status. He'd probably call his banana boat buddy CP3 to join him. Add DMC as your big man. Tell PG to take the salary scraps for a chance at a ring. Then sign minimum guys to fill out the roster.

And then there's Giannis. :cricket::cricket::cricket:

Tg11
12-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Exactly if you want to talk about building a franchise where you want to win now then LeBron unaminously

dhopisthename
12-15-2017, 08:41 PM
I can't imagine ever taking someone ten years older when its at least this close. Giannas is averaging 30-10-4.5 on a 61 ts%. its not like he is a scrub. Lebron for comparison averaged 30-8-7 on a 57 ts% at age 23.

More-Than-Most
12-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Are Embiid and Simmons putting up empty stats too since they're the 9th seed and Bucks are the 4th?

our sch has been ridiculous but lets put that aside... Id say yes if by year 3 of their play at this level or above they were a 500 or around 500 team... Giannis has been this good for now 3 years and it hasnt shown in the win/loss column like players that are similarly as good have shown.

People cant have it both ways... You cant **** on cousins/Love etc for years for their team not winning when they were in a hard conference on worst teams and not as good statistically and give Giannis a pass.

lol, please
12-15-2017, 10:38 PM
I can't imagine ever taking someone ten years older when its at least this close. Giannas is averaging 30-10-4.5 on a 61 ts%. its not like he is a scrub. Lebron for comparison averaged 30-8-7 on a 57 ts% at age 23.Careful, critical thinking is condemned in the NBA main

Brybmc868
12-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Porzingod

FlashBolt
12-18-2017, 05:24 PM
our sch has been ridiculous but lets put that aside... Id say yes if by year 3 of their play at this level or above they were a 500 or around 500 team... Giannis has been this good for now 3 years and it hasnt shown in the win/loss column like players that are similarly as good have shown.

People cant have it both ways... You cant **** on cousins/Love etc for years for their team not winning when they were in a hard conference on worst teams and not as good statistically and give Giannis a pass.

Why are you lying? Giannis only became a superstar this season. He was barely on any top ten list until this season. Two years ago, he wasn't even an All-Star

mightybosstone
12-18-2017, 05:57 PM
I understand the age factor, but I'm still taking Lebron. He automatically gives you a superstar who does everything well and makes everyone around him better, he gives you the largest draw from a marketing standpoint of any athlete on the planet, and he can immediately attract enough talent through veteran free agent signings to make you a top 3-4 seed in either conference.

If you tell me that I can have 3-5 years of Lebron at this level or 10-12 years of Giannis at this level, give me the 3-5 years of Lebron in his prime. You're more likely to win a title that way.

europagnpilgrim
12-18-2017, 06:34 PM
don't trol the thread please.

Takes one to know one, and the same could be said for the topic made

is this a troll topic? Lebron is Manning and Giannis is Luck, excuse me but Lebron is a super Manning while Giannis is Luck without the injury issues

verdict, BRJ, BronRamoneJames

I know its a ten year age gap which I could see some going with the GF, but Lebron entering the league was basically a title waiting to happen while we are trying to figure out is Giannis a superstar or just an all star, and at 33 Lebron remains a title to happen, 15yrs in and probably for next 3 for sure since he can stay out East and go or go to a strong West team and make it favorites over Dubs