PDA

View Full Version : How hot is Billy Donovan's seat right now?

LOb0
12-13-2017, 04:21 PM
It's got to be core of the sun levels. Only saving grace for him is that OKC might be too cheap to fire him.

GREATNESS ONE
12-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Scorching. OKC needs to blow it up if it doesn’t click soon.

WaDe03
12-13-2017, 05:53 PM
He just needs to man up and move Melo to the bench. Melo can say he's not coming off the bench all he wants but at the end of the day that's a coaching decision.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-13-2017, 06:07 PM
He just needs to man up and move Melo to the bench. Melo can say he's not coming off the bench all he wants but at the end of the day that's a coaching decision.

I hear this constantly, but don't hear any reasoning. So can I ask you why? Why mess up the starting lineup? The thunder are typically starting games fine, the issue is maintaing the consitency throughout the game, and getting stops late. No, Carmelo's shot, isn't falling right now, he's strugglin to knock down jumpers right now, but he's still demanding double teams. (For whatever it's worth) He's playing the best defense of his career. He's unselfishly made the necessary adjustments to his game to make this thing work. The Thunder's bench is problly the worst in the NBA, ocassionaly they get help from Grant and Felton, but nothing to bet on come April-June. So, again... Why? Why does Carmelo have to come off the bench? Who are you going to plug in for him? Abrines? Grant? Ferguson? Huestis? Please... I'm a Carmelo fan, but if the move made sense I'd be all for it. If you putting in someone who's better then him, I'd be all for it, but to make an adjustment, for the sake of making an adjustment doesn't make much sense. I haven't heard a good reason to move Carmelo to the bench atleast.

WaDe03
12-13-2017, 06:23 PM
I hear this constantly, but don't hear any reasoning. So can I ask you why? Why mess up the starting lineup? The thunder are typically starting games fine, the issue is maintaing the consitency throughout the game, and getting stops late. No, Carmelo's shot, isn't falling right now, he's strugglin to knock down jumpers right now, but he's still demanding double teams. (For whatever it's worth) He's playing the best defense of his career. He's unselfishly made the necessary adjustments to his game to make this thing work. The Thunder's bench is problly the worst in the NBA, ocassionaly they get help from Grant and Felton, but nothing to bet on come April-June. So, again... Why? Why does Carmelo have to come off the bench? Who are you going to plug in for him? Abrines? Grant? Ferguson? Huestis? Please... I'm a Carmelo fan, but if the move made sense I'd be all for it. If you putting in someone who's better then him, I'd be all for it, but to make an adjustment, for the sake of making an adjustment doesn't make much sense. I haven't heard a good reason to move Carmelo to the bench atleast.

You just answered your own question pretty much. The bench sucks a needs a boost. Wades the 3rd best player on the Cavs, 2nd best impact wise and he's coming off the bench. Not because JR is better but because that's what the team needed. Wade is better than Melo and does more on the court but Melo should be able to fit the role perfect, especially considering what they need is scoring.

LaVar Ball
12-13-2017, 06:25 PM
I give him until the new year

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-13-2017, 06:39 PM
You just answered your own question pretty much. The bench sucks a needs a boost. Wades the 3rd best player on the Cavs, 2nd best impact wise and he's coming off the bench. Not because JR is better but because that's what the team needed. Wade is better than Melo and does more on the court but Melo should be able to fit the role perfect, especially considering what they need is scoring.

Understandable... you remove Carmelo from the staring lineup and insert an inferior player... no you have a weak point at that spot now. It seems like a lateral move, dont it??

Tg11
12-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Either way if the losing continues then and only then can I see Billy Donovan being fired

WaDe03
12-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Understandable... you remove Carmelo from the staring lineup and insert an inferior player... no you have a weak point at that spot now. It seems like a lateral move, dont it??

No you put a player in there who may be inferior but a better fit and then in return Westbrook and PG do all the handling in the starting unit and Melo improves the bench. As I said, just like Wades situation. Loom at their record now that he's comfortable in that bench role. Melos good for one thing now and he's not even able to do that right now, a change is needed for the team and for Melo.

Tg11
12-13-2017, 07:00 PM
At this point if Melo doesn't want to come off the bench simple solution you trade Melo but then again I wonder if Melo still has that no trade clause in his contract especially now that he is here in Oklahoma City? But if Melo waived that clause then you could trade him anywhere really but who will want to take on that salary

Jamiecballer
12-13-2017, 10:53 PM
Shouldn't be. Don't compound stupid with stupid okc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
12-13-2017, 11:09 PM
He absolutely should be fired.. It will happen this season, IMO. There's just no excuse to not have Melo on the bench right now. 30 games in and we still have to debate his fit on this team? Practically everyone agrees Melo should be coming off the bench so PG and Westbrook can find their offense and not have to worry about ISO-Melo. Donovan's rotations are beyond horrid. Did anyone see how we had Felton leading our 2nd unit and PG+Melo+Westy weren't even in any of those lineups? How the hell does that happen? Granted, they played well but it's not an effective long-term strategy. To put it short, Donovan is not capable of behind the leader of this team, he does not want to rub anyone in the wrong way, he is poor at adjusting to lineups, he still has not found a way to get his team running an offense without ISO, and there is no reason RWB should be standing near the three point line on every off-ball play. If he's not willing to change, that isn't the coach's fault but considering we are hearing nothing about Melo coming off the bench and RWB playing off-ball and setting screens for other guys, I am led to believe that this coach doesn't even bring it up at all.

Scoots
12-13-2017, 11:56 PM
I give him until the new year

Then it's off to Lithuania with him!

Tg11
12-14-2017, 09:25 AM
If they don't make the playoffs this year especially with the talent they have then he for sure will end up getting fired

cheetos185
12-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Coaches usually take blame for managements dumb decisions most of the time. The OKC roster is poorly constructed they traded away all the players that were doing the little things for 2 iso chuckers but i'm happy my knicks rid themselves of that clown.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-14-2017, 06:43 PM
No you put a player in there who may be inferior but a better fit and then in return Westbrook and PG do all the handling in the starting unit and Melo improves the bench. As I said, just like Wades situation. Loom at their record now that he's comfortable in that bench role. Melos good for one thing now and he's not even able to do that right now, a change is needed for the team and for Melo.

I'll ask again... Who? Who are you going to plug into the starting lineup for him. Huestis? Patterson? Abrines? Ferguson? Grant? Who of those guys is going to have better cohesion? When it's not like Carmelo doesn't fit into the starting five.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Coaches usually take blame for managements dumb decisions most of the time. The OKC roster is poorly constructed they traded away all the players that were doing the little things for 2 iso chuckers but i'm happy my knicks rid themselves of that clown.

All of what players? Oladipo was the only player traded with any real value... and got Paul George from it. Every GM in basketball would make that trade, then and now. If the Thunder offered Paul George for Victor Oladipo right now, Indiana would do it. In a heart beat.

cheetos185
12-15-2017, 03:11 PM
All of what players? Oladipo was the only player traded with any real value... and got Paul George from it. Every GM in basketball would make that trade, then and now. If the Thunder offered Paul George for Victor Oladipo right now, Indiana would do it. In a heart beat.

Would the knicks trade doug mcdermott or kanter back for melo though? lol

Tg11
12-15-2017, 03:30 PM
No they wouldn't and Melo I think when he had that no trade clause when he was in New York wouldn't that no trade clause still apply here now that he is on OKC? Unless Melo waived it and chose where he wanted to go

FlashBolt
12-15-2017, 03:43 PM
No they wouldn't and Melo I think when he had that no trade clause when he was in New York wouldn't that no trade clause still apply here now that he is on OKC? Unless Melo waived it and chose where he wanted to go

yeah, he has a NTC but only reason he left was because of Phil so I'd entertain a re-trade.

Tg11
12-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Yeah but Kanter I am sure he probably wouldn't want to come back to OKC or even McDermott for that matter...might as well trade Anthony elsewhere but where could you trade him to? Personally I would want to see the Thunder trade him to either the Rockets or the Lakers

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Would the knicks trade doug mcdermott or kanter back for melo though? lol

Ask me again in April. (assuming both, NYK and OKC make the playoffs) when Doug McDermott and Kanter are playing a combined 15 mins.

WaDe03
12-18-2017, 05:43 PM
I'll ask again... Who? Who are you going to plug into the starting lineup for him. Huestis? Patterson? Abrines? Ferguson? Grant? Who of those guys is going to have better cohesion? When it's not like Carmelo doesn't fit into the starting five.

Either Patterson and Abrines. Melo obviously doesn't fit with the starting g unit and it's clear as day. Move him to the bench where hopefully he can dominate and get more touches.

FlashBolt
12-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Either Patterson and Abrines. Melo obviously doesn't fit with the starting g unit and it's clear as day. Move him to the bench where hopefully he can dominate and get more touches.

Days of Melo dominating are over. He will be a quick burst off the bench and that's all we need from him at this point. I mean, the only reason I like this trade is because it shows our GM can make moves when we don't really have much to offer. This trade didn't end up working. It is what it is. Time to move on.

kobe4thewinbang
12-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Is Donovan really just another ISO coach? I thought that was why they ditched "Your turn, my turn" Scott Brooks? Everybody was praising Donovan when they made Duncan's Spurs bow out.

lol, please
12-19-2017, 02:34 AM
I hear this constantly, but don't hear any reasoning. So can I ask you why? Why mess up the starting lineup? The thunder are typically starting games fine, the issue is maintaing the consitency throughout the game, and getting stops late. No, Carmelo's shot, isn't falling right now, he's strugglin to knock down jumpers right now, but he's still demanding double teams. (For whatever it's worth) He's playing the best defense of his career. He's unselfishly made the necessary adjustments to his game to make this thing work. The Thunder's bench is problly the worst in the NBA, ocassionaly they get help from Grant and Felton, but nothing to bet on come April-June. So, again... Why? Why does Carmelo have to come off the bench? Who are you going to plug in for him? Abrines? Grant? Ferguson? Huestis? Please... I'm a Carmelo fan, but if the move made sense I'd be all for it. If you putting in someone who's better then him, I'd be all for it, but to make an adjustment, for the sake of making an adjustment doesn't make much sense. I haven't heard a good reason to move Carmelo to the bench atleast.An appearance by AIMelo=KillaDUO

:worthy:

PSD NBA main HOF

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-19-2017, 11:49 AM

Go back to the previous page and read my comments...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-19-2017, 11:54 AM
An appearance by AIMelo=KillaDUO

:worthy:

PSD NBA main HOF

haha Been a while, man!! Glad your still holdin it down! I still read on PSD multiple times, daily. just don't post much just cuz it seems almost pointless sometimes, but sometimes someone says something that pisses me off haha. how you been bro?? I tried to send this privatley haha, but it gave me an error message.

Heediot
12-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Melo needs a teammate with Clout like Billups to reign him in. Or he needs a coach like pops who's making use of a similar guy like Rudy Gay. I don't think Westy or Donovan are the type of guys that can do that. LBJ and Cp can reign him in. Pops probably could, but he dud have some conflict with Phil.

mightybosstone
12-19-2017, 12:03 PM
OKC is in kind of a weird place right now. They've won 7 of their last 10, so it's natural to say "We've turned a corner! We've made it, fellas!" But the margin of victory in those seven wins is 22 points, and those three losses were really bad losses. The schedule for the rest of December should tell us something about this team. Seeing that banged up Utah team last night, that squad is still no joke, and OKC gets them twice before 2018 on top of Houston, Toronto and Milwaukee.

As I said after that New York loss, I no longer expect that this team is suddenly going to play great basketball and win 50 games. But it's also not impossible. I just think the alternative—them hovering around .500 and being an easy first round exit—is far more likely at this point. They just have no identity, and I don't know how you fix that. Donovan's seat should be a bed of burning coals right now, but I don't know that changing coaches will matter that much. I also don't know that moving Melo to the bench will make a huge difference.

Bottom line, the more the season progresses, the less scared I'm getting of the Thunder and the more likely the possibility of an implosion gets. At this point, I think it's more likely that George, Melo and Donovan are not part of the Thunder organization in six months than it is that this team makes the second round of the playoffs.

NYKnickFanatic
12-19-2017, 12:23 PM
They need to sign Ray Allen.

mightybosstone
12-19-2017, 12:30 PM
They need to sign Ray Allen.

If Ray was going to come out of retirement, I'm thinking it would be to play for a team a hell of a lot better than this OKC squad. Also, I'm not sure a 42-year-old Ray Allen can fix all the problems this team has.

KnicksorBust
12-19-2017, 12:32 PM
LeBron-Wade-Bosh were a more talented trio and an easier fit and even they played .500 ball for about a month. Westbrook-PG-Melo is still too good to miss the playoffs and really that's all that is going to matter anyway. I think in jan-feb we will see some 9 out of 10 winning streak and this will be forgotten. My gut is that they will be just fine. How they do in the playoffs? I don't know. But I think Donovan is safe through the season.

lol, please
12-19-2017, 01:00 PM
haha Been a while, man!! Glad your still holdin it down! I still read on PSD multiple times, daily. just don't post much just cuz it seems almost pointless sometimes, but sometimes someone says something that pisses me off haha. how you been bro?? I tried to send this privatley haha, but it gave me an error message.Glad to see you're still around bro! We need you here for when the Knicks turn it around lol. Looks like I need to clean out my inbox.

LA4life24/8
12-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Dudes britches is on fire, And it aint cuz he a liar

mightybosstone
12-19-2017, 01:12 PM
LeBron-Wade-Bosh were a more talented trio and an easier fit and even they played .500 ball for about a month. Westbrook-PG-Melo is still too good to miss the playoffs and really that's all that is going to matter anyway. I think in jan-feb we will see some 9 out of 10 winning streak and this will be forgotten. My gut is that they will be just fine. How they do in the playoffs? I don't know. But I think Donovan is safe through the season.

Lebron, Wade and Bosh were far more talented than this trio, and their personalities were such that they just fit better together and were willing to sacrifice for the greater good of the team. This is not a trio of players that were besties before the deal went down. Hell, these guys didn't really even decide to play together. In George's case, he didn't even get much of a say in his trade to OKC, and Melo clearly preferred Houston and only gave up his no-trade clause at the possibility of having to play another season in New York.

I keep seeing fans and analysts fall back on the first year of that Heat team, but we're 30 games into the season now. By 30 games into the 2010-11 season, the Heat were 21-9 and just got done with a 12-game winning streak in which 10 of their wins came by double digits. They then followed that up by winning nine straight.

That team also HAD to work out for those three guys. They all just signed long-term deals to play in Miami and had started the season off telling the world how amazing they were going to be. This OKC squad has no such pressure. If it doesn't work out, George and Melo both know they can bail after the season. Westy is the only one with motivation to really make this thing work, and he's possibly the most stubborn personality in the entire NBA.

RowBTrice
12-19-2017, 01:27 PM
I'll preface this with I haven't watched much of the Thunder, but what is Westbrook's relationship with Billy D.? If Westbrook likes or loves him, he's gotta be pretty safe right? If he doesn't, then I would assume Billy D. is very likely the fall guy, should this level of play continue.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-19-2017, 02:04 PM
OKC is in kind of a weird place right now. They've won 7 of their last 10, so it's natural to say "We've turned a corner! We've made it, fellas!" But the margin of victory in those seven wins is 22 points, and those three losses were really bad losses. The schedule for the rest of December should tell us something about this team. Seeing that banged up Utah team last night, that squad is still no joke, and OKC gets them twice before 2018 on top of Houston, Toronto and Milwaukee.

As I said after that New York loss, I no longer expect that this team is suddenly going to play great basketball and win 50 games. But it's also not impossible. I just think the alternative—them hovering around .500 and being an easy first round exit—is far more likely at this point. They just have no identity, and I don't know how you fix that. Donovan's seat should be a bed of burning coals right now, but I don't know that changing coaches will matter that much. I also don't know that moving Melo to the bench will make a huge difference.

Bottom line, the more the season progresses, the less scared I'm getting of the Thunder and the more likely the possibility of an implosion gets. At this point, I think it's more likely that George, Melo and Donovan are not part of the Thunder organization in six months than it is that this team makes the second round of the playoffs.

I agree with about 99% of what you said here, those victories they've had that have been decided by a few points or less, they had about 6 games early this season that they litterally lost by one possession.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Glad to see you're still around bro! We need you here for when the Knicks turn it around lol. Looks like I need to clean out my inbox.

whatd you think of Rigo vs Loma????