PDA

View Full Version : WTF is Clint Capela?

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2017, 09:06 PM
People were stoked for CP3 and Harden to be sharing the back court together: this dude is flying under the radar in Houston.

He's the reason they don't miss Dwight Howard.

Dude is posting 15 boards per36 and is grabbing 11 boards per game while getting less than 26 minutes, AND even though he isn't shooting 3's, he's one of the most efficient offensive players in the league, posting .677 from the field! PEr36, he's posting over a steal and a 2.5 blocks per game.

Thoughts on this guy so far? How important is he to Houston?

Giannis94
12-12-2017, 09:29 PM
I feel like we just had a capela thread recently. Maybe I'm wrong.

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2017, 09:54 PM
I feel like we just had a capela thread recently. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe... my bad if so... didn't see it.

Giannis94
12-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Maybe... my bad if so... didn't see it.
I don't know. But I do know that Clint is a stud.

FlashBolt
12-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Agile. Quick snatcher for putbacks. Absolute beast at lobs. Athletic. Probably one of the best at running fast breaks for his size. He's everything Houston needs and Houston is everything he needs as well.

IndyRealist
12-12-2017, 11:47 PM
No one in Houston is sleeping on Capella. They talk about him almost as much as they do Harden.

Vee-Rex
12-13-2017, 12:14 AM
If Rox fans don't appreciate him I sure would. Give y'all TT + Cavs first and take Rhyno's contract off your hands for Cap. :D

Extra added bonus is LeBron might wanna go there even more with his boy Tristan there.

Driven
12-13-2017, 12:17 AM
He's efficiency is certainly a main reason why theyv be been successful. It's truly a big three with him, harden and Paul when you look at his PER

nastynice
12-13-2017, 01:15 AM
When I seen him a few years ago I felt hed be pretty good. Not surprised

mightybosstone
12-13-2017, 11:38 AM
There was already a thread about this like a week ago, but I'll reiterate my thoughts on Capela.

I love the guy, and I've been very pleased with his production and progression this season. That being said, he really has one elite skill: finding a way to get to the basket. His agility and ability to weave between defenders to catch lobs make him the perfect center for this system and the perfect pick and roll partner for Harden. But when you consider that 81 percent of his shots this season have been assisted on, according to 82games, that kind of puts his elite efficiency into perspective. By comparison, 66 percent of Deandre Jordan's shots come from assists.

He's certainly improved as a free throw shooter and rebounder, which helps his efficiency, but he's not exactly creating for himself a ton. He occasionally will take a defender off the dribble from the top of the key or post up smaller guys for an easy layup or jump hook, but he's not exactly Hakeem Olajuwon. Defensively, he's very good, but he often can get beat up on the interior by bigger, stronger centers. He could still use to add a few pounds on that end, but I also think it could hurt his agility on the offensive end.

Taking all that into account, I honestly don't know that there's a better fit in the entire NBA for the system that the Rockets run. You could replace him with Joel Embiid or DeMarcus Cousins, and this team wouldn't get significantly better; in fact, they'd probably be worse. But I also don't think he'll be making All-Star teams anytime soon.

Vinylman
12-13-2017, 12:44 PM
above average player in the absolute best system for him

Wouldn't perform near as well on almost any other team...

nastynice
12-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Agile big, could do good in any system with movement. Kinda like javale in our system, all you need is a crease and a great dual threat ball handler

europagnpilgrim
12-13-2017, 06:16 PM
He's efficiency is certainly a main reason why theyv be been successful. It's truly a big three with him, harden and Paul when you look at his PER

I saw somewhere they had him ranked like 7th in mvp and that was because of his PER

what makes it even sadder is that at 14 and 11 he is sitting 7th in mvp/PER or something like that

14/11 is not NBA mvp numbers no matter how you try and PERslice it, maybe team mvp if he didn't have Harden and CP3 as mates

Z Randolph had a nice 20/10 stretch and I bet he didn't crack the mvp voting top 5 one time during that period, if I am wrong someone correct me quickly

lol, please
12-14-2017, 01:18 PM
People were stoked for CP3 and Harden to be sharing the back court together: this dude is flying under the radar in Houston.

He's the reason they don't miss Dwight Howard.

Dude is posting 15 boards per36 and is grabbing 11 boards per game while getting less than 26 minutes, AND even though he isn't shooting 3's, he's one of the most efficient offensive players in the league, posting .677 from the field! PEr36, he's posting over a steal and a 2.5 blocks per game.

Thoughts on this guy so far? How important is he to Houston?Is this a serious post?

Haven't you been watching the NBA a while? He's shined in the playoffs for a few seasons now. Good Lord lol.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

lol, please
12-14-2017, 01:20 PM
When I seen him a few years ago I felt hed be pretty good. Not surprisedExactly lol. Feel like jasonjohnhorn is around enough to remember / know Capela from his first season. Really blew my mind he got brought up here like some unknown.

ewing
12-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Like Al Horford he is there most valuable player

Driven
12-14-2017, 04:35 PM
I saw somewhere they had him ranked like 7th in mvp and that was because of his PER

what makes it even sadder is that at 14 and 11 he is sitting 7th in mvp/PER or something like that

14/11 is not NBA mvp numbers no matter how you try and PERslice it, maybe team mvp if he didn't have Harden and CP3 as mates

Z Randolph had a nice 20/10 stretch and I bet he didn't crack the mvp voting top 5 one time during that period, if I am wrong someone correct me quickly

It's just pure efficiency. He plays 25 MPG. His defense and rebounding has been top notch, and he's pretty much the most efficient "shooter" in the league because he just dunks the ball. He might get some All-Star votes, and deservedly so.

If Capela keeps this up, he'll be the first player in history to average 13/11 in under 25 MPG.

Capela is still very very raw. I think he will improve a lot over the next few years.

smith&wesson
12-15-2017, 12:22 PM
His defense is vital to the rockets success... and I love him on my fantasy team

mightybosstone
12-16-2017, 09:40 AM
His defense is vital to the rockets success... and I love him on my fantasy team

Mmm... I actually think his defense is a little overrated at times. I love the guy, and he has a lot of positives on that end of the floor. He's a great rim protector and rebounder, and he's excellent at switching and defending smaller guards on the perimeter. His lateral quickness is exceptional given his length. But when it comes to defending the low post against elite offensive bigs, he struggles a bit.

He's probably one of the better starting defensive centers in the league, but you won't confuse him for the really elite guys, and he's not making any All-Defense teams anytime soon.

rhino17
12-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Mmm... I actually think his defense is a little overrated at times. I love the guy, and he has a lot of positives on that end of the floor. He's a great rim protector and rebounder, and he's excellent at switching and defending smaller guards on the perimeter. His lateral quickness is exceptional given his length. But when it comes to defending the low post against elite offensive bigs, he struggles a bit.

He's probably one of the better starting defensive centers in the league, but you won't confuse him for the really elite guys, and he's not making any All-Defense teams anytime soon.

Yeah, he's not a fantastic individual defender yet, he still doesn't have the strength (although idk if that is even necessary anymore, pounding the ball inside with a big man is pretty inefficient at this point and a good way to get blown out by a team like Houston - like Charlotte and Dwight the other night). But he he has become a good rim protector, which he was not until this season. His rebounding is much improved. But like you mentioned, his truly elite skill imo is his ability to switch on defense. I dont think I've ever seen a center be able to switch on to a perimeter player the way he can and hold his own. It gives the Rockets a big advantage because he can still play when the other team goes positionless (like the warriors), so they can truly punish teams with the pick and roll in that situation - idk any other big in the league that can do that right now.

lol, please
12-16-2017, 05:29 PM
So tired of this mythical narrative that because the Warriors play a certain way successfully, the NBA has "forever changed" and any team can follow the same formula to success. They can't. Curry and Klay (not mentioning Durant as he wasn't part of the Warriors original team) are all time great shooters and players, coming up with Curry and Klay "lite" isn't the same thing.

We are in, and have been in a lull for elite big men, nothing more.

Rim protecting, driving in the paint, low post scoring, aren't going the way of the Dodo anytime soon.

Such a binary way of thinking, that because 1-3 teams can go small, score efficiently from outside, and rotate on defense that that's the only way to win now. The Warriors are the Warriors. There won't be another.

FlashBolt
12-16-2017, 10:46 PM
Yeah, he's not a fantastic individual defender yet, he still doesn't have the strength (although idk if that is even necessary anymore, pounding the ball inside with a big man is pretty inefficient at this point and a good way to get blown out by a team like Houston - like Charlotte and Dwight the other night). But he he has become a good rim protector, which he was not until this season. His rebounding is much improved. But like you mentioned, his truly elite skill imo is his ability to switch on defense. I dont think I've ever seen a center be able to switch on to a perimeter player the way he can and hold his own. It gives the Rockets a big advantage because he can still play when the other team goes positionless (like the warriors), so they can truly punish teams with the pick and roll in that situation - idk any other big in the league that can do that right now.

Off-topic, do you think Cp3 has been great for you guys now? I remember you hated it.

rhino17
12-17-2017, 05:11 PM
Off-topic, do you think Cp3 has been great for you guys now? I remember you hated it.

I didn't think he would be willing to take a back seat to Harden - he has been more than willing to do that

I didn't think he would embrace the offense and would continue to pound the ball, shoot mid-range jumpers - he still does that a little but is basically running the offense the way it is meant to be run

I thought he would try to be the alpha and piss off teammates like he has in the past - he hasn't done that, he is making himself fit in with the rest of the team, not making them adjust to him

Paul has humbled himself tremendously since joining the Rockets, I am pleasantly surprised and was wrong