PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barnes: HOFer?

JasonJohnHorn
12-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Clickbait title? Maybe a little. Obviously the resounding answer is 'No.' But he's retiring, and I think it's worth showing the guy some love.

However, I gotta say, I loved watching this guy play. He was all hustle and busted his @$$ off every time I saw him on the court.

Matt Barnes has officially retired, and the scrappy defender/journeyman, who changed teams 12 times (including two tenures with the Warriors and Kings), struggled to get minutes his first few years, but left his mark and earned a reputation as a hard working guy.

What are your thoughts on Matt Barnes?

GREATNESS ONE
12-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Derek Fisher ****ed his Ex wife.

jaydubb
12-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Derek Fisher ****ed his Ex wife.^^

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Chronz
12-11-2017, 09:07 PM
I pulled for him ever since his first ten day contract with the clips, he's a self made NBA player, always carved a role out of any squad regardless of cast or system

KnicksorBust
12-11-2017, 09:21 PM
His interaction with Kobe is one of my all-time fave.

YAALREADYKNO
12-11-2017, 09:35 PM
You forgot to mention he couldn't make kobe flinch

Raps18-19 Champ
12-11-2017, 09:44 PM
I felt bad when we offered him a deal but we had to take it back because BC didn't know how the salary cap worked.

JasonJohnHorn
12-11-2017, 10:39 PM
I felt bad when we offered him a deal but we had to take it back because BC didn't know how the salary cap worked.

I remember that. I was really hoping he'd come on board. And that would have been his biggest pay-day (he deserved it).

How does a GM not know that $#!t thought? When I heard that back then, I was like: I know that. How does this guy even have a job?

mightybosstone
12-12-2017, 12:13 AM
I'm actually really disappointed he retired. I was really looking forward to him going head-to-head against PJ Tucker this season so I could watch Tucker knock him the **** out.

Seriously, though, there are few guys in the NBA over the years who I have genuinely disliked as people, and Matt Barnes is one of them. But you could make a strong argument that there's a skill in being that detestable. Barnes just found a way to get under your skin and make you want to reach through the television to strangle him.

That being said, he will not be missed by me. There's a special place in my own personal hell for players like him...

lol, please
12-12-2017, 12:33 AM
I pulled for him ever since his first ten day contract with the clips, he's a self made NBA player, always carved a role out of any squad regardless of cast or systemWell said. Great post.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Saddletramp
12-12-2017, 05:24 AM
**** that guy. He was an *******. And no, he isn't a Hall of Famer. What a dumb question.

Vinylman
12-12-2017, 08:06 AM
He is going to run his mouth to the wrong guy in a bar and get stabbed to death within 5 years...

just saying

Scoots
12-12-2017, 09:31 AM
No

BKLYNpigeon
12-12-2017, 09:49 AM
You forgot to mention he couldn't make kobe flinch

savage.

The following year Kobe recruited Barnes to the Lakers.

Hawkeye15
12-12-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm actually really disappointed he retired. I was really looking forward to him going head-to-head against PJ Tucker this season so I could watch Tucker knock him the **** out.

Seriously, though, there are few guys in the NBA over the years who I have genuinely disliked as people, and Matt Barnes is one of them. But you could make a strong argument that there's a skill in being that detestable. Barnes just found a way to get under your skin and make you want to reach through the television to strangle him.

That being said, he will not be missed by me. There's a special place in my own personal hell for players like him...

yep. Many times, a championship team needs a guy like that. Patrick Beverly is like that (though I don't question him as a man, just on the court). Bruce Bowen, or even Draymond.

Hawkeye15
12-12-2017, 10:39 AM
He is going to run his mouth to the wrong guy in a bar and get stabbed to death within 5 years...

just saying

considering he is 6'7", 230 lbs of muscle, in the real world, I doubt he gets messed with much. But yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to read down the line that he bit off more than he could chew..

Vinylman
12-12-2017, 11:02 AM
considering he is 6'7", 230 lbs of muscle, in the real world, I doubt he gets messed with much. But yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to read down the line that he bit off more than he could chew..

its not the size of the dog in the fight...

its the size of the fight in the dog...

He is a typical "nba" tough guy... not real world

Hawkeye15
12-12-2017, 11:04 AM

I get that, trust me. But dudes his size and strength typically don't even get challenged. But, crazy people typically don't care about all that.

I taught martial arts for years, and one of my friends was an ex football player, 6'4", 230 lbs, all muscle, and had a mean streak. When he asked if I would teach him some stuff, I replied, "I think you will do just fine in an altercation...".

Vinylman
12-12-2017, 11:09 AM
I get that, trust me. But dudes his size and strength typically don't even get challenged. But, crazy people typically don't care about all that.

I taught martial arts for years, and one of my friends was an ex football player, 6'4", 230 lbs, all muscle, and had a mean streak. When he asked if I would teach him some stuff, I replied, "I think you will do just fine in an altercation...".

lol

I hear ya on MB but he is a notorious drinker

IndyRealist
12-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Derek Fisher ****ed his Ex wife.

Does that make Delonte West a HoFer too?

IndyRealist
12-12-2017, 11:55 AM

I used to break up bar fights on a weekly basis. A 6'7" pro athlete who works out every day would wipe the floor with me. He's might be a "fake tough guy" but that's against other guys his size. In any real life situation he has a massive advantage in cqc.

LaVar Ball
12-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Good riddance!

lol, please
12-12-2017, 12:36 PM
I used to break up bar fights on a weekly basis. A 6'7" pro athlete who works out every day would wipe the floor with me. He's might be a "fake tough guy" but that's against other guys his size. In any real life situation he has a massive advantage in cqc.You must be physically weak or lack confidence then. I bounced for a while and am undersized for it and never got pushed around by bigger guys. The poster you quoted is right. It's the size of the dog in the fight. And making assumptions based on appearance is foolish. In the military, in training or actual combat, I never allowed size to be a factor either.

I never scanned the bar, spotted a potential troublemaker and said to myself "might need help from one of our other guys if I need to get him out of here". My mentality was always "who's the fool who's going to make the mistake of sizing me up and get embarrassed tonight?".

Hawkeye15
12-12-2017, 12:36 PM
I used to break up bar fights on a weekly basis. A 6'7" pro athlete who works out every day would wipe the floor with me. He's might be a "fake tough guy" but that's against other guys his size. In any real life situation he has a massive advantage in cqc.

yep, that was my point. I work with a 6'8", 270 lb man (essentially LeBron), and I am 5'11", 170 lbs. I trained in various martial arts for 30 years and counting, and my only hope against him would be to kick his knee, and run. I am not stupid..

Hawkeye15
12-12-2017, 12:39 PM
You must be physically weak or lack confidence then. I bounced for a while and am undersized for it and never got pushed around by bigger guys. The poster you quoted is right. It's the size of the dog in the fight. And making assumptions based on appearance is foolish. In the military, in training or actual combat, I never allowed size to be a factor either.

I never scanned the bar and said to myself "might need help from one of our other guys if I need to get him out of here". My mentality was always "who's the fool who's going to make the mistake of sizing my up and get embarrassed tonight?".

yep. I don't believe you. I won't say it's impossible by any means to take out a huge guy. But we are talking about a well trained athlete in his 30's. His advantage off the bat is incredibly high. You aren't going to overpower a man that size if you are small, with joint locks, or leverage, the equation tips too far in their favor. If you want to provide a shot to somewhere to incapacitate them, cool, expect to be prosecuted, or even jail time.

I did train with a Ranger who was as good at hand to hand combat as anyone I have encountered. He was 6', maybe 185-190 lbs, and could probably take anyone I have met. But that is 1 guy, highly trained. Most bouncers or regular fighters are not really that elite at fighting, or controlling others that have the body mass and strength of a pro NBA player. You don't meet those guys often, if at all.

Your last sentence....I would never train you or hire you.

IndyRealist
12-12-2017, 01:11 PM
You must be physically weak or lack confidence then. I bounced for a while and am undersized for it and never got pushed around by bigger guys. The poster you quoted is right. It's the size of the dog in the fight. And making assumptions based on appearance is foolish. In the military, in training or actual combat, I never allowed size to be a factor either.

I never scanned the bar, spotted a potential troublemaker and said to myself "might need help from one of our other guys if I need to get him out of here". My mentality was always "who's the fool who's going to make the mistake of sizing me up and get embarrassed tonight?".

Then you are lucky your mentality didn't get you killed.

I make no assumptions on appearance. 230lbs at 5% bodyfat is not about appearance.

GREATNESS ONE
12-12-2017, 01:17 PM

:clap: everyone is a tough guy until they get punched in their mouths! Lol

GREATNESS ONE
12-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Then you are lucky your mentality didn't get you killed.

I make no assumptions on appearance. 230lbs at 5% bodyfat is not about appearance.

Lol thatís hilarious! Sizing people up and trying to punk people! Some of these guys out here donít give a **** and will stab you go home and sleep like a baby. On some real gangsta ****.

I keep clean now, stay home, kids, work, barely ever go out anymore. No time for all that nonsense anymore

GREATNESS ONE
12-12-2017, 01:30 PM
yep, that was my point. I work with a 6'8", 270 lb man (essentially LeBron), and I am 5'11", 170 lbs. I trained in various martial arts for 30 years and counting, and my only hope against him would be to kick his knee, and run. I am not stupid..

Lol This. Iím 6í3/6í4 210pounds, same been training and fighting my whole life practically but Iíve seen some men that are insane crazy and big I wouldnít **** with lol I would probably have to punch him in the throat or just run :laugh2:

I have a buddy whoís absolute monster, Iíve seen him destroy huge men 6í8 plus, seen him take on 4/5 guys, seen him take a barstool to the head and still crush guys. Lol I would never **** with someone like that unless it was life or death or threatening towards my family. Lol

Some guys you just steer clear from in confrontation. Lol

GoferKing_
12-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Nope Nope

JAZZNC
12-12-2017, 02:35 PM
yep. I don't believe you. I won't say it's impossible by any means to take out a huge guy. But we are talking about a well trained athlete in his 30's. His advantage off the bat is incredibly high. You aren't going to overpower a man that size if you are small, with joint locks, or leverage, the equation tips too far in their favor. If you want to provide a shot to somewhere to incapacitate them, cool, expect to be prosecuted, or even jail time.

I did train with a Ranger who was as good at hand to hand combat as anyone I have encountered. He was 6', maybe 185-190 lbs, and could probably take anyone I have met. But that is 1 guy, highly trained. Most bouncers or regular fighters are not really that elite at fighting, or controlling others that have the body mass and strength of a pro NBA player. You don't meet those guys often, if at all.

Your last sentence....I would never train you or hire you.

He's just a fake tough guy talking crap on the internet and certainly hasn't run into the right "big guy".

Reminds me of Dana White talking about Kimbo Slice....said yeah he's probably the toughest guy at the BBQ but he wasn't crap against real fighters. There is a reason there is weight classes in MMA, boxing, etc. That much strength/size difference is a big, big deal.

Remember the guy that squared up with JO at the Malace at the Palace? Probably in everyday life he was a big "tough" guy that immediately regretted his decision to fight a near 7' pro athlete.

Saddletramp
12-12-2017, 05:00 PM
lol,please is even a fairweather bouncer. How am I not surprised.