PDA

View Full Version : What happened to serge ibaka?

ewing
12-06-2017, 12:05 AM
He seemed so poised to be an impact player at one point. I thought he was impact defender to start his career and he developed a J. He seems to have next to no phyical presence now.

Toxeryll
12-06-2017, 12:21 AM
Playing out of position at the 4 IMO. He's more suited at the 5 now but he's such a horrible rebounder for his size

FlashBolt
12-06-2017, 02:10 AM
Serge Ibaka was an absolute monster for us in his early OKC days. He then dropped off big time and it was clearly visible he lost his physical advantages in blocking shots and defending. I have no doubt in my mind that this guy is not age 28 and is around 32. There is just no other way of saying the obvious. He should be near his physical prime right now and we're seeing him decline way too early. Consider that he doesn't have any large injuries sustained, it's just weird. And it isn't uncommon for some of these guys to lie about their age.

Mr.B
12-06-2017, 02:47 AM
He could be like Shawn Marion. He was an absolute stud in Phoenix but then started to drop off by the time he got to Miami. When he was in Toronto I thought he was done. I expected almost nothing out of him by the time he got to Dallas but played great and was a key player in their Championship run.

Ibaka might just need to be in the right situation.

jaydubb
12-06-2017, 06:57 AM
He got his payday :shrug:

During the 2019-2020 season we will have "the resurgence of serge ibaka" threads... Hmmm.... I wonder why. We've seen this with lots of players in all sports before, could be the beginning of another instance

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DanG
12-06-2017, 09:48 AM
He's on my fantasy team and I swear there's nothing more frustrating than watching him play. He just stands there, can't rebound, most of the times doesn't even jump.

Scoots
12-06-2017, 10:27 AM
I think it was probably mental more than physical ... he certainly wouldn't be the first big man to realize life is much easier not banging and going 100% all the time ... and he's done enough to get paid a huge sum even as soft as he's been playing. Maybe a contract year turns it around, but my guess is this is who he is now.

WaDe03
12-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Doesn't have Nick Collison to carry him anymore.

aman_13
12-06-2017, 11:34 AM
He's been good for the most part since arriving to Toronto. He's started slow this season but according to Rex Kalamian, he's a slow starter. Maybe Flash, and/or Magic fans can confirm that. Or anyone.

He has picked it up recently. DeMar joked about his age last night. He said sometimes he looks 38 and recently he looks 28.

aman_13
12-06-2017, 11:35 AM
He's on my fantasy team and I swear there's nothing more frustrating than watching him play. He just stands there, can't rebound, most of the times doesn't even jump.

Yeah his rebounding is frustrating.

GoferKing_
12-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Well, he is older than he says and his game took a hit after NBA banned a some performance enhancers.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-06-2017, 09:21 PM
He's like 40 years old.

NFLAccess
12-06-2017, 11:52 PM
just a totally different player than when he was with OKC

bucketss
12-07-2017, 01:24 AM
the age thing seems to be the most likely reason hes been look good lately though.

jaydubb
12-07-2017, 01:40 AM
He's probably like 57 years old

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
12-07-2017, 01:42 AM
I felt like Raptors went over this with Biyombo. Didn't you guys let him go due to his age uncertainty? The guy does not look like he's 24. Must be that tiger and giraffe meat.

Tg11
12-07-2017, 12:28 PM
I mean look as soon as he left Oklahoma City and got to Orlando he was obviously not the same player and it was and has been even worse since he has come to the Raptors and I dare anyone to say that I am wrong about that...in OKC he was a beast but now that he is playing for the Raptors he is declining let's be very frank and honest

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Not to be mean or anything. But is his age correct when entering the league? He always looked like a grown man right away like in his 30's back then. Maybe 40's now. Not to be mean or anything. I know there's reports of my very own Bucks Maker lied about his age.

Possibly graduated then went back to high school a second time or some weird stuff to beat on little kids. ESPN Ibaka profile page says only 28? No way. Seems like hes been in the league a while. Also looked grown up when he was a rookie. Maybe just a old soul.

Tg11
12-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Embiid lies about his age as well

rimgrazers
12-08-2017, 04:32 AM
Serge was ahead of the game as a mobile big who could shoot, but now that the league has caught up he really should be playing the 5

Tg11
12-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Ibaka playing C I mean does he even have the size for it? I mean we know he is a Big who can shoot but centers are supposed to be rebounders rim protectors shot blockers too on top of it and in order to be a C playing at the 5 you have to be much bigger

Which is why Ibaka being at the 4 at PF makes the most sense for him

Scoots
12-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Ibaka playing C I mean does he even have the size for it? I mean we know he is a Big who can shoot but centers are supposed to be rebounders rim protectors shot blockers too on top of it and in order to be a C playing at the 5 you have to be much bigger

Which is why Ibaka being at the 4 at PF makes the most sense for him

Draymond Green has had pretty good success at C for short bursts and he's several inches shorter. Ibaka should be playing some C.

GiantsSwaGG
12-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Itís weird he lost his athleticism after a couple of seasons. Plus he gets dunked on every game!

bucketss
12-08-2017, 01:40 PM
I felt like Raptors went over this with Biyombo. Didn't you guys let him go due to his age uncertainty? The guy does not look like he's 24. Must be that tiger and giraffe meat.

nahh we didn't have his bird rights which meant we couldn't afford him. orlando offered like 18 mill a year.

Tg11
12-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Toronto should let him play at the 5 but don't they have JV playing at the 5 anyway? Then what sense does that make especially when Ibaka plays at the 4 for them unless they switch JV over to the 4 and have him at PF and then put Ibaka at C...would that even work? I don't think Dwane Casey is even that smart enough to pull something like that off

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Shocked JV hasn't been traded yet. He's been getting the shaft a few years there now. Also trading for Ibaka was a couple season's to late. Should of just kept Ross and that pick. Probably should of traded DD and Lowery before they got new contracts and started over. But now their stuck at point of no return. Lowry not that great this year. Ibaka isn't getting any younger.

Tg11
12-08-2017, 06:09 PM
Shocked JV hasn't been traded yet. He's been getting the shaft a few years there now. Also trading for Ibaka was a couple season's to late. Should of just kept Ross and that pick. Probably should of traded DD and Lowery before they got new contracts and started over. But now their stuck at point of no return. Lowry not that great this year. Ibaka isn't getting any younger.

Exactly which means the Raptors are going to have to start rebuilding I mean every team has done it one way or the other

R. Johnson#3
12-08-2017, 07:41 PM

I was a long time JV supporter but now I want him out. Jakob Poeltl has taken some big steps this year and has shown he's capable of producing when given the minutes. I agree the Ibaka trade was too late but in no way do I fault Masai for doing it. This was the first time in our franchise's history where players actually wanted to come or stay here. Our fan base was huge and the city was constantly buzzing. You can't start a rebuild after making it to the ECF 2 years ago with a relatively young core. We're also not stuck at the point of no return. Lowry, DeRozan, Ibaka and JV are all FA's in 2020. I highly doubt all 4 of them are even on the roster at this season's end.

Honestly, what's benefited the Raps the most is the 905 team. It's helped develop so much of the young talent that's starting to play on the roster. Norman Powell, Pascal Siakam, Fred VanVleet, Delon Wright. On top of that, Masai's drafting has gone so under the radar until this year. Even to Raptor fans! Siakam was a late 1st, Powell was a 2nd, Poeltl is starting to look like a great pick at 10, OG was an absolute steal at 23. Masai has quietly assembled a solid squad for the future and has now integrated them with the current team. The Raptors have a core that is now, for the most part in their prime with a young 2nd unit that is full of developing talent unknown to the rest of the league at the moment.

bucketss
12-09-2017, 12:30 AM
did ibaka see this thread? because hes been on fire recently.

HandsOnTheWheel
12-09-2017, 01:27 AM
He's definitely closer to like 35-40 than 29 or whatever his age is supposed to be

I'd stay away from any long-term deals with these African players if we're being frank

Legitimate
12-09-2017, 01:32 AM
I don't think he's lied about his age when he entered the league, i think he's just lazy on the defensive end and likes to save his energy for offense, atleast he's not hobbling around and injured all the time and is a good fit on this raptors squad, its a shame he's not the defensive ace he use to be but at 20 mil per season he's chris bosh witha better 3 point shot and less post moves, man im liking ibakas smooth jumpshot tho lol